Morton's The Steakhouse - Chicago - The Original
1050 North State Street
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Morton's The Steakhouse - Chicago - The Original
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://mortons.com/
- Phone: 3122664820
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cigar Room, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Morton's in Chicago (The Original) hosts a variety of special events featuring fine wine & spirits, the best steak and a great time! For more information, visit http://www.mortons.com/statestreet
A word from Morton's The Steakhouse - Chicago - The Original
Morton's The Steakhouse, the nation's premier steakhouse group, specializes in classic, hearty fare, serving generous portions of USDA prime aged beef, as well as fresh fish, lobster and chicken entrees. The menu features a variety of favorite cuts, including a 24 ounce porterhouse, which is the house specialty; a 16 ounce New York Strip and a 12 ounce double cut filet.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Morton's The Steakhouse - Chicago - The Original - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
Morton's The Steakhouse - Chicago - The Original reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (97)romantic (52)notable wine list (48)good for groups (39)fit for foodies (35)neighborhood gem (28)hot spot (11)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (3)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great place, just no one theremmkchicagoVIPDined on 9/21/2014I'm not sure why no one was there, however, the food is as good as always. I had the filet with black truffle butter, the heirloom carrots and the au gratin potatoes. All were great. Our waiter was wonderful as well.
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/20/2014Waitress was amazing. And the good was very good, as it has been on each of our visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- classic and terrificSamChapmanVIPDined on 9/20/2014Any restaurant that has had the same maitre 'd for over 30 years must have special service and this does. My father-in-laws said it was one of the best meals of his life!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ask for SuzanneFoodie4LifeVIPDined on 9/17/2014Suzanne's service was superb! The timing of the food was spot on, she was a pleasure to talk to and best of all, she was great with our 2 small children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for a King & QueenOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/14/2014The title says it all. Our server and the Manager treated us like we were really celebrating big time and we were. They gave us fabulous cheesecake to take home and sure enough we dug into that cheesecake like there was no tomorrow. Our steaks were the best we ever had and in 50 years of marriage we had our share of steak but not the right quality til we came to Morton's Thank You for making our dining experience a memory we will remember for a long time. John, Pat & MikeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteaksAllSmilesDined on 9/13/2014The food was excellent, the wine was fantastic, the service was sub-par. Our server was really disappointing. He had problems with knowledge of the menu, and was somewhat argumentative about our appetizer request. Desert came out incorrect as well. It was very disappointing for $350.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulrichieDined on 9/13/2014The filet was cooked to perfection, and melted like butter in our mouths! The onion bread is to die for. Overall, and wonderful meal, and deal. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LegendaryHappyEater7Dined on 9/13/2014Simply stated, the food here is legendary!! Their reputation is well earned.Special Features:
- Something changedsimonDined on 9/12/2014When visiting Chicago we always go to Morton's and this time something was different. the evening was great, the service was fabulous, the sides were amazing, but the steaks this time were different. there were 6 6 of us all ordering steak, out of the 6 steaks 4 of them were not that good, 1 overcooked and three had a liver tasted to them. We had a great time in spite of the steaks but on our next visit we may try somewhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great time, great food!JoemamaDined on 9/11/2014Everything was, as expected, perfect. Food, service, friendliness, ambiance, was great. One of my top favorite restaurants, in a city that has some of the best in the country. Thank you Mortons for a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Business DinnerChuckDined on 9/10/2014Dinner with business associates was great. Excellent cold seafood appetizers, followed by terrific steaks, sides to share family style, and excellent wine. For special events, Morton's is a great place.Special Features:
- never againOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/6/2014After laundry's bought morton's, seems the food went down, we had dinner there saturday after a long absence. Food had improved and our server was a doll, however, they charged us for 6 drinks and we only had 4 took 3 attempts before they straightened it out…She kept going to her manager and came back saying that the charge was correct…Finally they saw we only had 4 drinks..Not worth the stress of the evening…We will not go back ..
- Needs an updateRedshoesDined on 9/2/2014Morton's State Street location is tired, dark and dreary and should take a page out of nearby Gibson's which has a lively scene nightly. Morton's was almost empty, the maitre d' unwelcoming and bored, and the Sinatra vintage music too loud. Only 4 other tables were occupied in this vast, dimly-lit room, and the bar also deserted. Food was fantastic, however. Do split the huge portions. We had a tomato, onion and blue- cheese salad, NY strip, hash browns and asparagras with hollandaise, all outstanding and delicious. We would return but ONLY for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak heavenMikeBikerVIPDined on 9/2/2014Our group often debates about the best steakhouse in Chicago. We struggle to find "the best" in a city that is known for their steaks. Morton's comes out on top across the board in terms of food quality, price, service and consistency. The scene is a traditional, basement level restaurant with all the trappings of dark wood and dim lighting...a throw back to the 60s and 70s. It was quite after the holiday weekend but it can be quite loud at other times. All the sides and desserts are the big, over the top kind where one serving is enough for a table. Extensive wine selection that is better than other major steak houses (with some bottles only 2-3 times the retail price). Definitely will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak!foxgloveDined on 8/31/2014We go to Morton's each time we are in Chicago just for the steak! It was fabulous. The service was great --the waiter Pierre knew exactly when to bring dishes so to make the meal seamless. The only flaw --and a small one --was the special watermelon salad had no watermelon! But by the time Pierre returned to the table, husband had eaten it all anyway because it was so good! We also had the chocolate souffle -perfect ending to a perfect meal! Thank you!!Special Features:
- dinnernickDined on 8/30/2014Everything was great except for parking, nobody told us they would validate parking. We paid triple the amount we should have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome serviceChaliDined on 8/28/2014Took my wife for her birthday dinner and the service was amazing starting from the manager. Thanks guys you the best of the all. The manager took it upon himself to park our car and didn't charge us,the waiter Pierre was super friends we had the best time at this place and will go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab service and wonderful foodPebbles59Dined on 8/22/2014The service s impeccable at this, the original location of Morton's Steak house. Old fashioned full bar, no fancy mixology needed here, adds to the experience of the flavorful steaks and other dishes. I had the Shrimp Scampi Capellini, and my friends had huge New York Strip and the Filet. We shared the creamy and delightful sour cream mashed potatoes. No room for dessert. The place was hopping by the time we left (8pm-ish) with lots of families, business people and coules enjoying their food as much as we did. I took my friends because I had one of THE best steaks I've ever had in the city of Chicago there with my husband once. My girlfriends are steak eaters too so knew they would love it.Special Features:
- Best steak and serviceRogerDined on 8/18/2014The wedge salad with THE best blue cheese dressing in town is a must have!! The bone in ribeye was perfectly marbled and loaded with flavor. Now for the service.... Friendly,attentive,sincere. We shared a steak and our server suzane suggested a great glass of wine to accompany our steak. Yumm! Thank you for the great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PoorFRANKDined on 8/16/2014Had a 10-pm reservation after a show on a Saturday night. When we walked in we were not greeted in a happy fashion. I had to ask if we were at Morton's since the host had a look of horror that we walked in at 10pm. Another couple behind us had to do the same thing. Waiter never introduced himself at the start. You would think at the viagra triangle this place would be busting at the seams but it was quiet it was weird. Food was so-so. Steaks were switched and the waiter insisted that we had the correct steaks. (not).
- Vic & Nancy AnniversaryVNCtodineforDined on 8/16/2014A great night, from being greeted with "happy anniversary" from reception, being seated, server, and Pierre our waiter. Menu made specifically with our name on it, picture, and special lava desert was outstanding! Recommend to anyone particularly on an special occasion. This was our first time at Morton's in Chicago [original place], and would definitely return. Steak was outstanding, presentation of the appetizer was cool [Shrimp Cocktail on ice was special]; we felt like we were expected to be there and very welcome. Pierre's service was outstanding!Special Features:
- Winfrey special dinnerChiTown23foodloverDined on 8/16/2014First time dining at Morton's and we loved it! Our waiter Pierre was very knowledgeable of all the menu and he recommended some things that made our dinner very pleasurable and special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steak!woodsrupVIPDined on 8/15/2014Try the bone-in rib eye steak. Cooked medium rare to perfection.Special Features:
- My Favorite RestaurantneighborVIPDined on 8/15/2014As always, the food and service were excellent. Been there 3 times in a month. My very favorite restaurant and this is the best location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!!!!37birthdayDined on 8/8/2014Went here to celebrate my birthday and the service was wonderful they greeted us upon entering wishing me a happy birthday. I would highly recommend this restaurant and my waiter was excellent!!!! Great birthday!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014I have been to Morton's a few times in California, and wanted to try the original. The food was excellent, the wine selection was what you would expect from a five star restaurant. The atmosphere was a little loud but not out of hand. My wife had white pants on and we were surprised when the waiter placed a black napkin on her lap. Overall the best meal we had in chicago.Special Features:
- Romantic Spot for Special OccasionschicagofoodiesDined on 8/8/2014Morton's Chicago was an excellent place to celebrate a romantic birthday dinner. We were given a friendly welcome and seated promptly at our reservation time at a table we requested. Throughout the night, service was extremely attentive and impeccable. The service staff was quite knowledgeable and accommodating. The meal was fantastic with freshly prepared salads, perfectly cooked filets, delicious sides, and an excellent birthday dessert. Never once did we feel rushed during our meal and the atmosphere was just right for a quiet evening dinner. Morton's is a reliable go-to for special occasions.Special Features:
- Best Birthday EverKatlady32Dined on 8/8/2014I took my best friend to dinner for her 40th birthday! I was pleasantly surprised that they were prep repaired for the event with personalized menu and the picture of us together. Awesome experience. I would recommend Morton's for great food and a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wedding Anniversary dinnerBorn2travelDined on 8/6/2014We have been to Morton's a number of times but this visit was a disappointment. Unfortunately they didn't have enough waiting on staff which mean we were left pouring our own wine and waiting for service. Even worse when a large group arrived they were flooded with service to ensure that the staff did not miss out on their tip. This might be the original Morton's but it is a long way from being a good steak house.Special Features:
- Great Steak and ServicerynotherhinoDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I went to Morton's on Saturday at 8:00 and had a great time. We both had Filet Mignon and they were outstanding. Cooked to perfection with more flavor than I usually expect with a filet. We started with the Oysters Rockefeller. They were good but only came with 4 oysters for $18 so I'd skip those next time. We also had the sauteed broccolini and twice baked potatoes that were both great. We finished with a pie of key lime pie and you could have rolled us out the door. Overall, the best part of the dinner was the steak and the service. We had two waiters coming to our table regularly and they were very helpful. I've recently eaten at Chicago Cut and Gene & Georgetti and I preferred my steak at Morton's.Special Features:
- Great food with great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Food was great ! Service was great! Pricy , but worth it ! I even got a follow up call the next day!Special Features:
- ExcellentbusinessdinersDined on 7/30/2014Business Dinner. Food and service were excellent. Will bring back other visitors to the best place for steak in Chicago. Thank you!Special Features:
- A very happy birthdayecclecticDined on 7/27/2014In my reservation, I mentioned that it was my husband's birthday and said anything special they could do would be appreciated. They welcomed him with a "happy birthday," took a commemorative photo, and brought a complimentary dessert. They were really nice touches that helped make the evening. I was extremely impressed with the service - so cordial without being overbearing. And of course, the steak (and sides) were delicious.Special Features:
- Excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2014We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary here and had a wonderful time! The service was impeccable and the food was delicious. We had the bone-in rib-eye steaks and they were done perfectly. The raspberry soufflé was sublime. The staff made sure every moment of our experience was special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerSamWillDined on 7/24/2014Made reservations at Morton's and was very pleased with our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cajun RibeyeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/21/2014Order this steak at medium-rare and enjoy, as it's pretty much the finest steak available anywhere.Special Features:
- THPIVIPDined on 7/20/2014I love Mortons. The food and service are top notch. It is expensive, but you definately get what you pay for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NealDined on 7/20/2014Food great except 2 filets were pretty rare. We have eaten at Morton's throughout the country and that is the first time a steak has not been cooked perfectly. A little disappointing but still a good experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- double porterhouse rocksdoubleporterhouseDined on 7/9/2014We ordered two double porterhouses and split them between 4 people. It was plenty of food, cooked to perfection and unforgettably delicious. The service was outstanding. We were never without drinks and the entire staff was friendly and most attentive than any other restaurant I can remember. I recommend everyone go here at least once.Special Features:
- Another Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/6/2014We decided to try the original Morton's location in Chicago while vacationing in the city for a wedding. What a GREAT choice! Food was everything we expected and the service was exceptional. Thanks again for another terrific Morton's experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.