Morton's The Steakhouse - Chicago - The Original
1050 North State Street
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Morton's The Steakhouse - Chicago - The Original
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://mortons.com/
- Phone: 3122664820
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cigar Room, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Morton's in Chicago (The Original) hosts a variety of special events featuring fine wine & spirits, the best steak and a great time! For more information, visit http://www.mortons.com/statestreet
A word from Morton's The Steakhouse - Chicago - The Original
Morton's The Steakhouse, the nation's premier steakhouse group, specializes in classic, hearty fare, serving generous portions of USDA prime aged beef, as well as fresh fish, lobster and chicken entrees. The menu features a variety of favorite cuts, including a 24 ounce porterhouse, which is the house specialty; a 16 ounce New York Strip and a 12 ounce double cut filet.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Morton's The Steakhouse - Chicago - The Original - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
Morton's The Steakhouse - Chicago - The Original reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (81)romantic (46)fit for foodies (37)notable wine list (36)good for groups (36)neighborhood gem (25)hot spot (12)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (7)vibrant bar scene (5)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Perfunctory serviceMtFirbbitDined on 10/16/2014I'm always pleased with the food at Morton's, and I've had good experiences at other locations, but the service here felt more "McDonalds" than "Morton's"...I got my food, and it was in good time...but that's all. There was nothing wrong here, but there are other locations that are much better, so why chance one that is merely adequate.Special Features:
- Excelent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Well, defently is a must in any bucket list. Just the original one! Prime Rib is excelent, with a good wine. For dessert Lemon Pie is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just like I imaginedVickDined on 10/12/2014I'm from Mexico and it was awesome to be able to finally come to Morton's ... The original ... Everything from the service and the food was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic service-oriented steakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2014The service was absolutely impeccable and completely anticipatory. My wife and I felt very appreciated and very fortunate to be able to dine there. I had never eaten at Morton's when it wasn't a work event, and I know there are trendier spots, but Morton's charm was in its classy, vintage feel. The steak was delicious. The crab cake was amazing. The brussels sprouts fried in bacon fat were good.Special Features:
- Morton's food is deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/11/2014The service was excellent, and the food was delicious. Three of us had the three course dinner for $61.99 and the fourth had the steak and lobster special. One salad was split and we had leftovers from the three sides that were split between the four of us.Special Features:
- outoftownersDined on 10/10/2014Food as always was great but the service by far was the best. That is the second time that my wife and I have had this lovely knowledgeable lady take care of us. We will be requesting her on our return visits without a doubt!Special Features:
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2014The service was wonderful. The food was excellent.Special Features:
- Great steakmtoiracDined on 10/5/2014They really nailed it when it comes to "medium rare".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday CelebrationChiTownDeltaDivaDined on 10/3/2014My husband loves steaks so I chose to take him out to dinner at Morton's for his birthday. We were greeted warmly and the hostess immediately wanted to know whose birthday it was. She passed this knowledge on to our waiter who in turn made us feel welcome and made my husband's birthday dinner a huge success. The waiter had a great personality and he was knowledgeable about the menu and beverages. We had a great time. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone! PS try the steaks, crab cakes, and cream corn. Absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingHoustonDined on 10/3/2014My wife and I went here for our anniversary dinner. They provided us with a special menu congratulating us on our anniversary. The wait staff was excellent and there food and wine was to die for. We cannot wait until we are back in Chicago to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RenovationsMattDined on 9/30/2014If I had known the place was under renovations I would have not gone there. This is my favorite Morton's anywhere I travel, I was very disapointed, I had some of my biggest clients out for dinner and it was not what I had planned on.
- Great anniversary dinnerMollyDined on 9/27/2014We went here for our first anniversary. From the moment we walked in, we felt like the staff wanted to make our experience the best possible. The tables weren't packed together as in some other fine dining places we've visited, the food was fabulous and our server was outstanding.Special Features:
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014This classic place is still great. wonderful servers and the food was spectacular. I look forward to coming back.Special Features:
- Great place, just no one theremmkchicagoVIPDined on 9/21/2014I'm not sure why no one was there, however, the food is as good as always. I had the filet with black truffle butter, the heirloom carrots and the au gratin potatoes. All were great. Our waiter was wonderful as well.
- Great serviceDaveVIPDined on 9/20/2014Waitress was amazing. And the good was very good, as it has been on each of our visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- classic and terrificSamChapmanVIPDined on 9/20/2014Any restaurant that has had the same maitre 'd for over 30 years must have special service and this does. My father-in-laws said it was one of the best meals of his life!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ask for SuzanneFoodie4LifeVIPDined on 9/17/2014Suzanne's service was superb! The timing of the food was spot on, she was a pleasure to talk to and best of all, she was great with our 2 small children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morton's The steakhouse is a must!TableTalkDined on 9/15/2014While in Chicago you must go to Morton's The Steakhouse-Chicago-The Original. We totally enjoyed everything about Morton's. Our service was excellent. The waiter gave us many options and explained each in detail. The meat portions are very generous, so, women, you may want to split something and then add sides. That is what we did and each of our "halves" was cooked to perfection. The sides of hash browns and sauteed brussels sprouts were each enough for two people and each very delicious. The wine selection was very good and paired well with our meal. Our waiter was very attentive throughout the entire meal. We topped off the evening with a chocolate souffle and coffee. What a delightful evening. We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for a King & QueenOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/14/2014The title says it all. Our server and the Manager treated us like we were really celebrating big time and we were. They gave us fabulous cheesecake to take home and sure enough we dug into that cheesecake like there was no tomorrow. Our steaks were the best we ever had and in 50 years of marriage we had our share of steak but not the right quality til we came to Morton's Thank You for making our dining experience a memory we will remember for a long time. John, Pat & MikeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteaksAllSmilesDined on 9/13/2014The food was excellent, the wine was fantastic, the service was sub-par. Our server was really disappointing. He had problems with knowledge of the menu, and was somewhat argumentative about our appetizer request. Desert came out incorrect as well. It was very disappointing for $350.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulrichieDined on 9/13/2014The filet was cooked to perfection, and melted like butter in our mouths! The onion bread is to die for. Overall, and wonderful meal, and deal. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LegendaryHappyEater7Dined on 9/13/2014Simply stated, the food here is legendary!! Their reputation is well earned.Special Features:
- Something changedsimonDined on 9/12/2014When visiting Chicago we always go to Morton's and this time something was different. the evening was great, the service was fabulous, the sides were amazing, but the steaks this time were different. there were 6 6 of us all ordering steak, out of the 6 steaks 4 of them were not that good, 1 overcooked and three had a liver tasted to them. We had a great time in spite of the steaks but on our next visit we may try somewhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great time, great food!JoemamaDined on 9/11/2014Everything was, as expected, perfect. Food, service, friendliness, ambiance, was great. One of my top favorite restaurants, in a city that has some of the best in the country. Thank you Mortons for a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Business DinnerChuckDined on 9/10/2014Dinner with business associates was great. Excellent cold seafood appetizers, followed by terrific steaks, sides to share family style, and excellent wine. For special events, Morton's is a great place.Special Features:
- never againOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/6/2014After laundry's bought morton's, seems the food went down, we had dinner there saturday after a long absence. Food had improved and our server was a doll, however, they charged us for 6 drinks and we only had 4 took 3 attempts before they straightened it out…She kept going to her manager and came back saying that the charge was correct…Finally they saw we only had 4 drinks..Not worth the stress of the evening…We will not go back ..
- Needs an updateRedshoesDined on 9/2/2014Morton's State Street location is tired, dark and dreary and should take a page out of nearby Gibson's which has a lively scene nightly. Morton's was almost empty, the maitre d' unwelcoming and bored, and the Sinatra vintage music too loud. Only 4 other tables were occupied in this vast, dimly-lit room, and the bar also deserted. Food was fantastic, however. Do split the huge portions. We had a tomato, onion and blue- cheese salad, NY strip, hash browns and asparagras with hollandaise, all outstanding and delicious. We would return but ONLY for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak heavenMikeBikerVIPDined on 9/2/2014Our group often debates about the best steakhouse in Chicago. We struggle to find "the best" in a city that is known for their steaks. Morton's comes out on top across the board in terms of food quality, price, service and consistency. The scene is a traditional, basement level restaurant with all the trappings of dark wood and dim lighting...a throw back to the 60s and 70s. It was quite after the holiday weekend but it can be quite loud at other times. All the sides and desserts are the big, over the top kind where one serving is enough for a table. Extensive wine selection that is better than other major steak houses (with some bottles only 2-3 times the retail price). Definitely will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak!foxgloveDined on 8/31/2014We go to Morton's each time we are in Chicago just for the steak! It was fabulous. The service was great --the waiter Pierre knew exactly when to bring dishes so to make the meal seamless. The only flaw --and a small one --was the special watermelon salad had no watermelon! But by the time Pierre returned to the table, husband had eaten it all anyway because it was so good! We also had the chocolate souffle -perfect ending to a perfect meal! Thank you!!Special Features:
- dinnernickDined on 8/30/2014Everything was great except for parking, nobody told us they would validate parking. We paid triple the amount we should have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome serviceChaliDined on 8/28/2014Took my wife for her birthday dinner and the service was amazing starting from the manager. Thanks guys you the best of the all. The manager took it upon himself to park our car and didn't charge us,the waiter Pierre was super friends we had the best time at this place and will go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab service and wonderful foodPebbles59Dined on 8/22/2014The service s impeccable at this, the original location of Morton's Steak house. Old fashioned full bar, no fancy mixology needed here, adds to the experience of the flavorful steaks and other dishes. I had the Shrimp Scampi Capellini, and my friends had huge New York Strip and the Filet. We shared the creamy and delightful sour cream mashed potatoes. No room for dessert. The place was hopping by the time we left (8pm-ish) with lots of families, business people and coules enjoying their food as much as we did. I took my friends because I had one of THE best steaks I've ever had in the city of Chicago there with my husband once. My girlfriends are steak eaters too so knew they would love it.Special Features:
- Best steak and serviceRogerDined on 8/18/2014The wedge salad with THE best blue cheese dressing in town is a must have!! The bone in ribeye was perfectly marbled and loaded with flavor. Now for the service.... Friendly,attentive,sincere. We shared a steak and our server suzane suggested a great glass of wine to accompany our steak. Yumm! Thank you for the great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PoorFRANKDined on 8/16/2014Had a 10-pm reservation after a show on a Saturday night. When we walked in we were not greeted in a happy fashion. I had to ask if we were at Morton's since the host had a look of horror that we walked in at 10pm. Another couple behind us had to do the same thing. Waiter never introduced himself at the start. You would think at the viagra triangle this place would be busting at the seams but it was quiet it was weird. Food was so-so. Steaks were switched and the waiter insisted that we had the correct steaks. (not).
- Vic & Nancy AnniversaryVNCtodineforDined on 8/16/2014A great night, from being greeted with "happy anniversary" from reception, being seated, server, and Pierre our waiter. Menu made specifically with our name on it, picture, and special lava desert was outstanding! Recommend to anyone particularly on an special occasion. This was our first time at Morton's in Chicago [original place], and would definitely return. Steak was outstanding, presentation of the appetizer was cool [Shrimp Cocktail on ice was special]; we felt like we were expected to be there and very welcome. Pierre's service was outstanding!Special Features:
- Winfrey special dinnerChiTown23foodloverDined on 8/16/2014First time dining at Morton's and we loved it! Our waiter Pierre was very knowledgeable of all the menu and he recommended some things that made our dinner very pleasurable and special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steak!woodsrupVIPDined on 8/15/2014Try the bone-in rib eye steak. Cooked medium rare to perfection.Special Features:
- My Favorite RestaurantneighborVIPDined on 8/15/2014As always, the food and service were excellent. Been there 3 times in a month. My very favorite restaurant and this is the best location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!!!!37birthdayDined on 8/8/2014Went here to celebrate my birthday and the service was wonderful they greeted us upon entering wishing me a happy birthday. I would highly recommend this restaurant and my waiter was excellent!!!! Great birthday!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014I have been to Morton's a few times in California, and wanted to try the original. The food was excellent, the wine selection was what you would expect from a five star restaurant. The atmosphere was a little loud but not out of hand. My wife had white pants on and we were surprised when the waiter placed a black napkin on her lap. Overall the best meal we had in chicago.Special Features: