Morton's The Steakhouse - San Diego
285 J Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Morton's The Steakhouse - San Diego
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.mortons.com/
- Phone: 6196963369
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Catering: Private and group dining available. Contact our dedicated Sales and Marketing Manager to plan your next business or social event. Hosting a party at your home or office? Ask about Morton's Prime To Go and Prime Platters!
- Special Events: Morton's in San Diego hosts a variety of special events featuring fine wine & spirits, the best steak and a great time! For more information, visit http://www.mortons.com/sandiego
A word from Morton's The Steakhouse - San Diego
Morton's The Steakhouse, the nation's premier steakhouse group, specializes in classic, hearty fare, serving generous portions of USDA prime aged beef, as well as fresh fish, lobster and chicken entrees. The menu, which is the same at all locations, features a variety of favorite cuts, including a 24 ounce porterhouse, which is the house specialty; a 16 ounce New York Strip and a 12 ounce double cut filet.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Morton's The Steakhouse - San Diego - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Morton's The Steakhouse - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (114)romantic (62)notable wine list (52)good for groups (41)fit for foodies (41)neighborhood gem (17)late-night find (13)hot spot (11)vibrant bar scene (10)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (5)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Steaklovers paradiseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Great food, excellence service, not for romantic moments. Portions are generous, dont order too much appetizers, despite they are so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014We celebrated our one year anniversary here and it by far exceeded our expectations. Everything was perfect (food, drinks, hospitality, etc.). The personalized menus with our names on them were great!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service.GemsVIPDined on 10/23/2014We came to celebrate a birthday. The menu had the birthday girl's name (mine!) and made me feel special immediately. The food was excellent, appetizers, sides, main meal and the dessert. Portions were worth the price. I highly recommend Morton's. To top off a great dinner, someone came to take our picture and captured my special day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Dining ExperienceSoCaLoverDined on 10/21/2014My wife and I made reservations and celebrated our anniversary at Morton's Steakhouse SD. From the minute we walked in we were made to feel comfortable. The hostess, busser, waiter and manager all made sure to congratulate us on our anniversary. The suggestions from the waiter were direct and felt extremely sincere. We enjoyed our food, it was prepared just how we requested. and the flavors were wonderful. The one low point was the Lobster Bisque that was entirely too salty. Otherwise, we had a wonderful evening from the fresh baked bread when we sat, to the incredible Chocolate Soufflé to end the evening. The food, the attentive staff (always there but never intruding) provided us with a wonderful start to our evening of celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/20/2014Everything was great. Food cooked to perfection. Cocktail great. Pleasant experience, once again..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday for daughterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2014A special night for our daughters birthday and we had a wonderful time. In no small part it was aided by our great waiter Josh. Thank you for a memorable night.Special Features:
- Great staffpatrickDined on 10/18/2014Always enjoy eating here, had a reservation, showed up an hour early and got seated very quickly. Celebrating a birthday, they kept it on a downlow, free dessert, made my wifes day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurant for any occasion.holdthemayoDined on 10/15/2014It is no mistery that Morton's is known for their steak and I have yet to go to Morton's and be disappointed. It is all delicious and on my girls birthday they were so kind to print out menus, take our picture and even give her a birthay souffle. Morton's is definitely a great restaurant and I will keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be betterTop10Dined on 10/12/2014For an upscale restaurant. Mortons has good points and bad. They were not accommodating in varying from the menu.We asked no onions in the "house chopped salad", and was told that it was already prepped. If I'm spending $700 on dinner-PICK the ONIONS OUT or chop up a new salad! The Filet was very good and I would expect no less. The waitress seemed to be in a hurry to get us,.. in and out.Guy in a suit who picked up some used dish didn't identify himself had an obnoxious sense of humor. He was picking up some plates and reached for mine. I told him I wasn't finished, he smuggly replied, "I Know".Would not return or recommend to others. I prefer Donovans, and now..even Ruth Chris over Mortons.Special Features:
- Great Spot with Great FoodJustEngaged2014Dined on 10/11/2014The food, service and energy of this restaurant was great! Prices were high but you got exactly what you pay for, amazingly good food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not very impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/6/2014The service was good, but the food was average for the price. The dessert souffles did not impress me either. They were very "egg-y" and the chocolate didn't even taste much like chocolate. For a $350 meal, I expected much more all the way around. The restaurant was also unpleasantly loud.
- Excellent!RayandCathiDined on 10/4/2014Great service and food. First time ordering mac and cheese anywhere and was greatly surprised. Morton's made us feel special with the added attention on our anniversary! Thanks to all the staff including all in the kitchen for making this great meal and evening out a memorable one.Special Features:
- Always Perfect!WinenDineMe2Dined on 10/3/2014I love this place for special occassions. Morton's goes way out to make everything special. The Cajun Ribeye along with the chopped salad are my favorite picks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner with clientsherbearDined on 10/2/2014I had never dined at Morton's prior to selecting it for a business dinner with a colleague and a client. All three of us were very pleased with the service and the food, both of which were excellent!! Thank you :)Special Features:
- EvilTwinSkipppyDined on 10/2/2014It is always a treat to come to Morton's in San Diego. I think this location really typifies the image Morton's tries to project. I have been to other locations in the chain where the food wasn't as good or the service wasn't as great,Special Features:
- services vs foodFinestVIPDined on 10/1/2014Is hard to find this two ingredients in one location, great food And excellence services. Mortons exceedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeHodges37VIPDined on 9/28/2014Mortons is always the best place to dine in whatever city they are in. Thier steaks have the best flavour as do the sides, appetizers and desserts. Service is always superb. I usually get a doggie bag and enjoy my leftover steak the next day! Dining there is a TREAT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Morton'sPatronLDined on 9/27/2014Great food, great ambience, great night. Loved the touch of the special menus for our anniversary. Would do it again. This Morton's is better than San Francisco. Big plus was we were seated right away. I Love it when a restaurant doesn't make me wait when I have reservations. Patron LSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but not greatGood4foodDined on 9/26/2014Good food, but one steak was burnt a bit on the outside even though it was requested as med-rare. Service, salads, sides and desserts were very good.Special Features:
- yummykris10Dined on 9/24/2014Everything was perfect. The steak was amazing. And our server was very nice!-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loreDined on 9/23/2014Food was top rate...service was great...wonderful evening and we will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morton's pulled out all the stops!JustAnOrdinaryGuyDined on 9/22/2014Made reservations for my GF's birthday and requested a simple note on the menu. The staff was very keen on the occasion. She was greeted happy bday by the hostess, our waiter, and even the valet. They let us keep the special menus and took a picture for us to keep. Service and staff were outstanding. Went during Restaurant Week so we ordered from her bday menu and the RW menu. Onion bread w/butter (free)- good bread, can't beat free House Chopped Salad (RW)- nothing special Ahi Tower- OK Prime Pork Chop- delicious and tender Porterhouse- perfectly cooked and flavorful Au Gratin potatoes- delicious Sauteed Garlic Green Beans (RW)- nothing special Creme Brulee- delicious Hot Chocolate Cake (free bday dessert)- legendary indeedSpecial Features:
- Restaurant week menu good value.frenchfoodieDined on 9/22/2014Very good menu with lots of choices for restaurant week. Food and service was excellent. We thought the extra charge of $5.00 per person for a sauce for the steak was a little over the top and somewhat tacky!Special Features:
- terrific food!!!!notintonoiseDined on 9/20/2014Everything about our dining experience was wonderful, except for a very loud man in the corner. One group left without ordering because of his volume. It echoed off the walls and was quite piercing.....The entire restaurant was on the loud side, I prefer a quieter atmosphere when fine dining. But the food/steaks and service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loudzxzxDined on 9/20/2014nice place, a couple of groups seated next us were very loud and i was looking for something romantic for the price i paidSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morton's ExperienceKarlDined on 9/16/2014My wife and I decided to just have a nice casual dinner at Morton's. The service, ambiance and food was great and very reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Good foodJrodDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I ordered the Cajun steak and the Bibb salad. The salad was great and the steak got better with every bite. Only thing is I don't believe the steak was worth $51. It was good, but somewhere in the $40 range would be more reasonable to me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth Every PennyFineDiningANDEatingDined on 9/13/2014Although pricey, one needs to ask yourself, at what price do you deserve and achieve excellence. It's Morton's. At every level: the service, the tables, the seating, the quality and oh ya, the food, are just tip top. I am not disappointed every time I come to Morton's, whether it is with friends or just my wife. Five stars all the way across. Yes, Morton's blows away Donavon's. Bring your credit card and ask about the membership card. But also bring your appetite. Great portions and yum yum yum. Can't wait to come out again. Thank you Morton's!Special Features:
- Just OKetLyannaVIPDined on 9/12/2014The food was good but it wasn't as good as I expected it to be. Was not impressed with their steak, I had better steak experience. The service is OK but not that great. Im sorry but when you spend the money that they charge, you should be very attentive and helpful. Will definitely take awhile before I return here, if ever I do return.Special Features:
- Morton's Steak House San DiegoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Amazing food and excellent service. The new York strip was cooked exactly right and the Sea Bass tasted superb. The Souffle was one of the best we've ever tasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at MortonsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014We are 20 plus year customers of Mortons. We will again make it our preferred Steak House of choice.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014Having a reservation we have to wait 20 minutes before sitting to our table. Food not so special, good and quick service. Very expensive!Special Features:
- Food was a 10/10AEGorenbergDined on 9/3/2014The food was perfect. We had a filet mignon and a bone-in ribeye and both were prepared perfectly. The pacing of the meal was also excellent. I highly recommend this restaurant if you are looking for the perfect steak.Special Features:
- TravelerDined on 9/3/2014Went for girlfriends birthday and could not of had a better experience anywhere. Staff was very professional and friendly. Food was outstanding as was the service. The complimentary picture and dessert were an extra bonus to an exceptional dinner. Would highly reccommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerHTConsultingDined on 8/31/2014Everything was easy, relaxed, smooth, timely, gracious and delicious. Arrived early, one party member short - sat at the bar and ordered, the Birthday Girl ordered Morton's Campagne Cocktail and LOVED it! At reservation time, they seated us instantly, still missing one (no problem). The waiter volunteered suggestions appropriately, and they were spot on! The food was excellent, the service was the same. Handling of the Birthday was low key and dignified, but made an appropriate impact. Even the Valet provided excellent service (how often do you remember the valet?)! The restaurant environment is relatively loud, the dining room in fact designed to promote that, some people thrive on that and others not so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our go to place-special occasionsDFBoaterDined on 8/30/2014We were there celebrating my wife's birthday with a group of friends. We love the customized menu "Happy Birthday Maria", and their attention to detail which made the celebration special. Not only is Morton's our go to place for special occasions, it's our special place for a great meal and great service. If you haven't tried it, you should.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBobLVIPDined on 8/30/2014Filet Mignon is always great and the service is a-one.Special Features:
- Never disappointsSDbitesDined on 8/29/2014As always Morton's was excellent in every category. Our server Anthony was professional yet friendly. Our filet Mignon was prepared outrageously delicious. The wine list is awesome if you are like me - a Northern Cali wine lover. Morton's never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- can't go wrongLYCYDined on 8/24/2014Ahi tuna tower is a must. Good size for 2-3 people. Filets always great, try a sauce with them. Adds a great touch. We always bring our own wine. They are very knowledgeable there and will decant for you. Also have a great wine list. Mashed potatoes and creamed spinach. Yes, I know you can make it at home, BUT NOT LIKE THIS. Trust me! Finally, the choc mousse. Just get it - I know what I'm talking about. I'm not much of a mousse person, but they use quality chocolate and it's amazing. We take our 13 y.o. here almost every time we go. He loves it also. Great service from all the staff. Go and enjoy - sign up for their emails and you will get special offers. We just went for the $40 summer menu and it was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Price, but that good?KCLCDined on 8/23/2014Drinks at the Bar, Sangria a on the spot mix, that was sad to say the least. Just remove it from the menu. Really just ended up being a ruined white whine. I had a rib eye steak, Morton Specialty, and I would give it a solid 8 out of 10, it was good and prepared to the correct doneness level that I ordered. That was it though, French Onion Soup a 6, Garlic Fries a 5, and worst of all my Wife's basic main course scallops, had grit or sand in them. The flavor was good, but when you grind your teeth unexpectedly pretty much ruins the meal. So, $200 bill, and the end we have had far better but half the price. The hospitality was exceptional, which is expected for that price I suppose, but the food was not something to go back for.