Morton's The Steakhouse - San Diego
285 J Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Morton's The Steakhouse - San Diego
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.mortons.com/
- Phone: 6196963369
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Catering: Private and group dining available. Contact our dedicated Sales and Marketing Manager to plan your next business or social event. Hosting a party at your home or office? Ask about Morton's Prime To Go and Prime Platters!
- Special Events: Morton's in San Diego hosts a variety of special events featuring fine wine & spirits, the best steak and a great time! For more information, visit http://www.mortons.com/sandiego
A word from Morton's The Steakhouse - San Diego
Morton's The Steakhouse, the nation's premier steakhouse group, specializes in classic, hearty fare, serving generous portions of USDA prime aged beef, as well as fresh fish, lobster and chicken entrees. The menu, which is the same at all locations, features a variety of favorite cuts, including a 24 ounce porterhouse, which is the house specialty; a 16 ounce New York Strip and a 12 ounce double cut filet.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Morton's The Steakhouse - San Diego - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Morton's The Steakhouse - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (92)notable wine list (53)romantic (52)fit for foodies (37)good for groups (28)neighborhood gem (13)hot spot (11)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (10)kid-friendly (7)great for outdoor dining (5)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- can't go wrongLYCYDined on 8/24/2014Ahi tuna tower is a must. Good size for 2-3 people. Filets always great, try a sauce with them. Adds a great touch. We always bring our own wine. They are very knowledgeable there and will decant for you. Also have a great wine list. Mashed potatoes and creamed spinach. Yes, I know you can make it at home, BUT NOT LIKE THIS. Trust me! Finally, the choc mousse. Just get it - I know what I'm talking about. I'm not much of a mousse person, but they use quality chocolate and it's amazing. We take our 13 y.o. here almost every time we go. He loves it also. Great service from all the staff. Go and enjoy - sign up for their emails and you will get special offers. We just went for the $40 summer menu and it was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Price, but that good?KCLCDined on 8/23/2014Drinks at the Bar, Sangria a on the spot mix, that was sad to say the least. Just remove it from the menu. Really just ended up being a ruined white whine. I had a rib eye steak, Morton Specialty, and I would give it a solid 8 out of 10, it was good and prepared to the correct doneness level that I ordered. That was it though, French Onion Soup a 6, Garlic Fries a 5, and worst of all my Wife's basic main course scallops, had grit or sand in them. The flavor was good, but when you grind your teeth unexpectedly pretty much ruins the meal. So, $200 bill, and the end we have had far better but half the price. The hospitality was exceptional, which is expected for that price I suppose, but the food was not something to go back for.
- The bestCarnivoreDined on 8/22/2014It really is easy to order a fantastic meal at Morton's.....just close your eyes and point to anything on the menu. Every item is perfectly cooked to perfection. From the sea scallop appetizer to the filet to the grilled shrimp and even the asparagus were notably perfect. Most dining you don't get what you pay for but at Morton's you do. Fantastic service as well. Well done Morton's well done.Special Features:
- even beyond our high expectations!ghawker49Dined on 8/18/2014This is a landmark restaurant. It was our 35th anniversary, and they treated us royally! Complementary photo, complementary dessert, and all of the staff knew and offered congatulations. Now that is real customer service. The quality of the ribeye and the filet was just perfect - ALL of their meat is prime cut, and the flavor was outstanding. This is one of the finest places in San Diego. Don't miss it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great ServiceFriendlyVIPDined on 8/17/2014Morton's is fabulous and we still love Ruth's Chris even more so.
- Fine diningMitsDined on 8/17/2014Service was at the top of the restaurant industry. Waiter we had was informative and at tentative. Other staff was also ready and waiting with drink refills and table clearing. It was nice to dine in a restaurant where the service and atmosphere were outstanding. We enjoyed a quiet evening with delicious food and no children to disrupt our dining experience.Special Features:
- Very DisappointingRicardoDined on 8/16/2014Service was unbearably slow. Our dinner lasted nearly 3 hours. Went with in laws, tried to show them a good dinner. For the 8 of us, total was over $1200. Food was delicious, but the restaurant was WAY too crowded, and the service was WAY too slow. We waited almost an hour just for salads. Even one of the people who brought out our food felt bad for us. She even sent back our sides because it came at the same time as our salads. We had been looking forward to this dining experience for a while, and asked for special menus to be printed. This request was accommodated, and very appreciated. This is the only good thing I have to say about the service of the night.
- DISAPPOINTINGOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014COCKTAILS HAD TO BE SENT BACK AS NOT PREPARED PROPERLY. HAD TO SEND BACK THE BAKED POTATO AS IT WAS COLD (BUTTER WOULD NOT MELT). THE REPLACEMENT POTATO WAS NOT BAKED ENOUGH( STILL HARD). THE NOISE LEVEL WAS SO BAD THAT MY WIFE AND I HAD TO ALMOST YELL TO SPEAK TO SPEAK TO EACH OTHER AND WE WERE AT A TABLE FOR TWO ON THE PERIMETER OF THE DINNING ROOM. ON THE GOOD SIDE THE FILETS WERE VERY GOOD, THOUGH IT TENDED TO COOL RATHER QUICKLY. DONOVAN'S STEAK HOUSE HAS A MORE ROMANTIC OR PRIVATE FEEL TO DINING
- OK, not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Food and Service was excellent. The place is extremely loud, which detracts from the ambience.Special Features:
- Everything a Steakhouse Should BeSDMcDinersDined on 8/15/2014Excellent food & service. All 4 of us loved our food. Pricey but worth it for a celebration. Noise level high, at times difficult to hear others at our table. I had the mixed grill - 6 oz filet, 4 shrimp & 2 scallops - so good & I liked getting to try so many things.
- Always Amazing!KMOSES15Dined on 8/15/2014Morton's San Diego has always been one of my top 3 favorites! The food and drinks are phenomenal and service is exceptional. Always a sure win in my book!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 nights, 2 visitsRichEDined on 8/11/2014I visited SD for a week and went to Morton's for a quiet dinner. The Filet was exceptional, but it was my server, Dedria who made me want to come back. I repeated the next night and everything was again exceptional. Dedria struck a great balance serving while making a line diner feel welcomed and important. That extra personal interaction was appreciated and exactly what I needed being in a strange town alone. I recommend Morton's and make sure you ask for Dedria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so good anymoreOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/11/2014Great food as usual but very noisy and very slow service.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceChanguisDined on 8/10/2014Food selection is good, the way the prepare the meals to my taste are almost perfect, since perfection does not exit. Excellent service, I highly recommend to come and enjoy the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morton'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Way to expensive ! Spent $160 and felt like the service at Denny's. I would not return. Service does not match the pricing.Special Features:
- Dinning experienceDonFelipeDined on 8/9/2014Had a wonderful time. We received wonderful service. Unfortunately my wife was not feeling well. Once we let the waitress know. She quickly bagged up our food so we could be on our way. My wife loved her for that. Not to mention all the other little things she did. Great experience even though the night was cut shortSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak housesvenDined on 8/6/2014Great food, perfect steak. Lots of choice from the wine list. Not much ambiance, almost empty when we were there during the weekSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceBobLVIPDined on 8/6/2014The steaks are prepared perfectly and the management team of Tim and Rudy do their very best to make you feel appreciated.Special Features:
- A wonderful experience!MWhitDined on 8/5/2014My favorite restaurant from coast to coast. Hands down the best food, wine selection, service and ambience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- priceMikeDined on 8/4/2014eveything was great except the price. Way to expensive!
- tne best in san diegoarturoVIPDined on 8/3/2014I love this nice and elegant restaurant, you must try the in bone Chicago ribeye!!! the ice cream is delicious!!Special Features:
- Excellent Steak HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2014Went to Morton's based on a few recommendations. I had heard a lot of good things about it. It was for a date, and I was looking for something romantic, fun, and sophisticated. Morton's did not disappoint! The decor is classy and feels mature. The staff was very friendly and extremely knowledgeable. Our waitress was able to recommend steaks, cooking styles, sides and some great wines. We were recommended some great pairings with a bold cab and subtle syrah. Their Chicago Style Prime Bone-In Ribeye was amazing, as was their Center-Cut Filet Mignon which my date had. The only food I felt was weaker was the escargo, which was just ok. I should have realized it's not really why you go to a Morton's.The Key Lime pie was also very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinningGloriaDined on 8/1/2014Food was amazing as always and the service outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food & stellar servicekevinrDined on 7/30/2014Outstanding food and very nice servers. This restaurant never fails to exceed my expectations. The 22oz Chicago Bone-in Rib is beyond words. The Legendary Sundae is the perfect desert. Overall, 5 stars in my book. Morton's is in a class of it's own...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit to Morton'sTwoonthetownDined on 7/27/2014Overall dining experience was pleasurable. Food was acceptable however the overall cost of the meal outweighed the food quality. I would have to say there are alternatives to Morton's where the price and overall dining experience are more reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/27/20141st time here with my girlfriend. Took her for her birthday. Such a great experience. A little pricey but it's worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place for Filet Mignon dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/24/2014We really enjoyed our dinner. The food and service was amazing as always!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- XLINT AMBIENCE,AND SERVICE.TOBIDined on 7/21/2014GREAT FOR SPECIAL EVENT.the food was perfect,and the waiters great.thanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fast serviceSteakLoverDined on 7/19/2014Had a very nice experience at Morton's. Nice ambiance, attentive waiters. Water cup was always filled. Got the center cut rib-eye, cooked perfectly to your request.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World Class Food and EnvironmentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/17/2014I shared a special occasion with my lady at Morton's and was totally and unequivocally ecstatic with the entire meal!! Starting with the reservation process (I had asked for a quiet booth, and got one) to the valet parking attendent, nothing could have gone smoother. The host, Tim, greeted us with pleasantries and an affable nature while showing us to our table and Denise (eek, I think) our server was polite, omni-present (whenever we needed her, unobtrusive when we didn't) and knowledgeable. The food was world class and the ambiance was quiet but pleasing. There was a reverence that existed and it was well-earned I'd guess from my experience this evening. You had the feeling you were being treated to a special dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality of Morton's had declinedJoanDined on 7/17/2014Unfortunately, when Morton's was purchased by Landry's they made changes that have significantly reduced the quality of the food. Two of our party of four ordered steaks; a 6 oz. that was supposed to be medium rare and an 8 oz. that was supposed to be medium. The kitchen cooked the small steak medium well and the larger steak rare plus. Neither was edible. And this is not the first time this has happened. The service used to be excellent every time and now it's just normal. No more menu presentations, multiple servers attending the table, etc. Quite disappointing. Since we've dined there several times now and keep getting the same mediocre experience, we will not return there.
- Awesome night out.beef4meDined on 7/6/2014We have been to Morton's several time, great special occasion destination. However the noise level is high, makes conversation difficult we forgot that. The food is awesome, excellent wine selection. Service this trip was so, your glass should never go empty in a place like this.Special Features:
- Were we really at Mortons?StevoskiVIPDined on 7/5/2014815 res. We arrived 810 and told that "we are seating 800's 1st. 820 party 4 for 745 shows gets seated. Party of 2 for 830 again seated right away! 830 seated. Asked for empty booth, reserved. Water right away,busser good job. Waitress introduces I give our order. Caesar for wife, French onion soup me, 2 filets mine med rare, hers medium, potatoes me broccoli her, chocolate mousse her key lime me. Iced tea.Iced tea came right out. She gives S&S to wrong person. Soup zero cheese!Soggy bread and luke warm at best.7 minutes later server "Your dinners are ready so I'm bringing them" Not done with soup or salad. Steaks NOT prime and served backwards. Chocolate mousse and pie served backwards. Asked twice over 20 minutes where was my credit card.
- Dinner was okLuLuVIPDined on 7/5/2014I'd rather sit at the bar for happy hour - nothing spectacular.
- Fantastic Service and foodNaylesDined on 7/4/2014Our server, Dana, was outstanding! We enjoyed every bit of our meal. It was cooked to perfection and plated nicely.Special Features:
- ROMANTIC !!FinestDined on 7/2/2014THE BEST STEAKHOUSE IN SAN DIEGO, this is one of my best restaurant that i ever had in my life.Special Features:
- KarenDined on 7/1/2014Food was terrific and service with Heather was EXCELLENT!!Special Features:
- Best place for a steakOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/1/2014I love Mortons. I was use to going to Mortons in Rosemont when I lived outside Chicago. This is my first time at Mortons in San Diego (I have moved here). WOW. The food is just as good and the people are fantastic. If you are looking for food that you will be talking about the next day, then go to Mortons.Special Features:
- Loved it!luveatinoutDined on 6/30/2014Everything about this night out was great! Great food, great wine and great ambience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobstermania24JAN14Dined on 6/27/2014We were finally seated 1 hour after our reservation time :( Great food but very noisy ... difficult to have a quiet conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.