Morton's The Steakhouse - San Diego
285 J Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Morton's The Steakhouse - San Diego
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.mortons.com/
- Phone: 6196963369
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Catering: Private and group dining available. Contact our dedicated Sales and Marketing Manager to plan your next business or social event. Hosting a party at your home or office? Ask about Morton's Prime To Go and Prime Platters!
- Special Events: Morton's in San Diego hosts a variety of special events featuring fine wine & spirits, the best steak and a great time! For more information, visit http://www.mortons.com/sandiego
A word from Morton's The Steakhouse - San Diego
Morton's The Steakhouse, the nation's premier steakhouse group, specializes in classic, hearty fare, serving generous portions of USDA prime aged beef, as well as fresh fish, lobster and chicken entrees. The menu, which is the same at all locations, features a variety of favorite cuts, including a 24 ounce porterhouse, which is the house specialty; a 16 ounce New York Strip and a 12 ounce double cut filet.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Morton's The Steakhouse - San Diego - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Morton's The Steakhouse - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (118)romantic (59)notable wine list (56)fit for foodies (44)good for groups (32)neighborhood gem (14)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (12)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (5)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- MikeHodges37VIPDined on 9/28/2014Mortons is always the best place to dine in whatever city they are in. Thier steaks have the best flavour as do the sides, appetizers and desserts. Service is always superb. I usually get a doggie bag and enjoy my leftover steak the next day! Dining there is a TREAT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Morton'sPatronLDined on 9/27/2014Great food, great ambience, great night. Loved the touch of the special menus for our anniversary. Would do it again. This Morton's is better than San Francisco. Big plus was we were seated right away. I Love it when a restaurant doesn't make me wait when I have reservations. Patron LSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but not greatGood4foodDined on 9/26/2014Good food, but one steak was burnt a bit on the outside even though it was requested as med-rare. Service, salads, sides and desserts were very good.Special Features:
- yummykris10Dined on 9/24/2014Everything was perfect. The steak was amazing. And our server was very nice!-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loreDined on 9/23/2014Food was top rate...service was great...wonderful evening and we will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morton's pulled out all the stops!JustAnOrdinaryGuyDined on 9/22/2014Made reservations for my GF's birthday and requested a simple note on the menu. The staff was very keen on the occasion. She was greeted happy bday by the hostess, our waiter, and even the valet. They let us keep the special menus and took a picture for us to keep. Service and staff were outstanding. Went during Restaurant Week so we ordered from her bday menu and the RW menu. Onion bread w/butter (free)- good bread, can't beat free House Chopped Salad (RW)- nothing special Ahi Tower- OK Prime Pork Chop- delicious and tender Porterhouse- perfectly cooked and flavorful Au Gratin potatoes- delicious Sauteed Garlic Green Beans (RW)- nothing special Creme Brulee- delicious Hot Chocolate Cake (free bday dessert)- legendary indeedSpecial Features:
- Restaurant week menu good value.frenchfoodieDined on 9/22/2014Very good menu with lots of choices for restaurant week. Food and service was excellent. We thought the extra charge of $5.00 per person for a sauce for the steak was a little over the top and somewhat tacky!Special Features:
- terrific food!!!!notintonoiseDined on 9/20/2014Everything about our dining experience was wonderful, except for a very loud man in the corner. One group left without ordering because of his volume. It echoed off the walls and was quite piercing.....The entire restaurant was on the loud side, I prefer a quieter atmosphere when fine dining. But the food/steaks and service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loudzxzxDined on 9/20/2014nice place, a couple of groups seated next us were very loud and i was looking for something romantic for the price i paidSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morton's ExperienceKarlDined on 9/16/2014My wife and I decided to just have a nice casual dinner at Morton's. The service, ambiance and food was great and very reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Good foodJrodDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I ordered the Cajun steak and the Bibb salad. The salad was great and the steak got better with every bite. Only thing is I don't believe the steak was worth $51. It was good, but somewhere in the $40 range would be more reasonable to me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morton's Steak House San DiegoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Amazing food and excellent service. The new York strip was cooked exactly right and the Sea Bass tasted superb. The Souffle was one of the best we've ever tasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at MortonsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014We are 20 plus year customers of Mortons. We will again make it our preferred Steak House of choice.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014Having a reservation we have to wait 20 minutes before sitting to our table. Food not so special, good and quick service. Very expensive!Special Features:
- Food was a 10/10AEGorenbergDined on 9/3/2014The food was perfect. We had a filet mignon and a bone-in ribeye and both were prepared perfectly. The pacing of the meal was also excellent. I highly recommend this restaurant if you are looking for the perfect steak.Special Features:
- TravelerDined on 9/3/2014Went for girlfriends birthday and could not of had a better experience anywhere. Staff was very professional and friendly. Food was outstanding as was the service. The complimentary picture and dessert were an extra bonus to an exceptional dinner. Would highly reccommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerHTConsultingDined on 8/31/2014Everything was easy, relaxed, smooth, timely, gracious and delicious. Arrived early, one party member short - sat at the bar and ordered, the Birthday Girl ordered Morton's Campagne Cocktail and LOVED it! At reservation time, they seated us instantly, still missing one (no problem). The waiter volunteered suggestions appropriately, and they were spot on! The food was excellent, the service was the same. Handling of the Birthday was low key and dignified, but made an appropriate impact. Even the Valet provided excellent service (how often do you remember the valet?)! The restaurant environment is relatively loud, the dining room in fact designed to promote that, some people thrive on that and others not so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our go to place-special occasionsDFBoaterDined on 8/30/2014We were there celebrating my wife's birthday with a group of friends. We love the customized menu "Happy Birthday Maria", and their attention to detail which made the celebration special. Not only is Morton's our go to place for special occasions, it's our special place for a great meal and great service. If you haven't tried it, you should.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBobLVIPDined on 8/30/2014Filet Mignon is always great and the service is a-one.Special Features:
- Never disappointsSDbitesDined on 8/29/2014As always Morton's was excellent in every category. Our server Anthony was professional yet friendly. Our filet Mignon was prepared outrageously delicious. The wine list is awesome if you are like me - a Northern Cali wine lover. Morton's never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- can't go wrongLYCYDined on 8/24/2014Ahi tuna tower is a must. Good size for 2-3 people. Filets always great, try a sauce with them. Adds a great touch. We always bring our own wine. They are very knowledgeable there and will decant for you. Also have a great wine list. Mashed potatoes and creamed spinach. Yes, I know you can make it at home, BUT NOT LIKE THIS. Trust me! Finally, the choc mousse. Just get it - I know what I'm talking about. I'm not much of a mousse person, but they use quality chocolate and it's amazing. We take our 13 y.o. here almost every time we go. He loves it also. Great service from all the staff. Go and enjoy - sign up for their emails and you will get special offers. We just went for the $40 summer menu and it was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Price, but that good?KCLCDined on 8/23/2014Drinks at the Bar, Sangria a on the spot mix, that was sad to say the least. Just remove it from the menu. Really just ended up being a ruined white whine. I had a rib eye steak, Morton Specialty, and I would give it a solid 8 out of 10, it was good and prepared to the correct doneness level that I ordered. That was it though, French Onion Soup a 6, Garlic Fries a 5, and worst of all my Wife's basic main course scallops, had grit or sand in them. The flavor was good, but when you grind your teeth unexpectedly pretty much ruins the meal. So, $200 bill, and the end we have had far better but half the price. The hospitality was exceptional, which is expected for that price I suppose, but the food was not something to go back for.
- The bestCarnivoreDined on 8/22/2014It really is easy to order a fantastic meal at Morton's.....just close your eyes and point to anything on the menu. Every item is perfectly cooked to perfection. From the sea scallop appetizer to the filet to the grilled shrimp and even the asparagus were notably perfect. Most dining you don't get what you pay for but at Morton's you do. Fantastic service as well. Well done Morton's well done.Special Features:
- even beyond our high expectations!ghawker49Dined on 8/18/2014This is a landmark restaurant. It was our 35th anniversary, and they treated us royally! Complementary photo, complementary dessert, and all of the staff knew and offered congatulations. Now that is real customer service. The quality of the ribeye and the filet was just perfect - ALL of their meat is prime cut, and the flavor was outstanding. This is one of the finest places in San Diego. Don't miss it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great ServiceFriendlyVIPDined on 8/17/2014Morton's is fabulous and we still love Ruth's Chris even more so.
- Fine diningMitsDined on 8/17/2014Service was at the top of the restaurant industry. Waiter we had was informative and at tentative. Other staff was also ready and waiting with drink refills and table clearing. It was nice to dine in a restaurant where the service and atmosphere were outstanding. We enjoyed a quiet evening with delicious food and no children to disrupt our dining experience.Special Features:
- Very DisappointingRicardoDined on 8/16/2014Service was unbearably slow. Our dinner lasted nearly 3 hours. Went with in laws, tried to show them a good dinner. For the 8 of us, total was over $1200. Food was delicious, but the restaurant was WAY too crowded, and the service was WAY too slow. We waited almost an hour just for salads. Even one of the people who brought out our food felt bad for us. She even sent back our sides because it came at the same time as our salads. We had been looking forward to this dining experience for a while, and asked for special menus to be printed. This request was accommodated, and very appreciated. This is the only good thing I have to say about the service of the night.
- DISAPPOINTINGOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014COCKTAILS HAD TO BE SENT BACK AS NOT PREPARED PROPERLY. HAD TO SEND BACK THE BAKED POTATO AS IT WAS COLD (BUTTER WOULD NOT MELT). THE REPLACEMENT POTATO WAS NOT BAKED ENOUGH( STILL HARD). THE NOISE LEVEL WAS SO BAD THAT MY WIFE AND I HAD TO ALMOST YELL TO SPEAK TO SPEAK TO EACH OTHER AND WE WERE AT A TABLE FOR TWO ON THE PERIMETER OF THE DINNING ROOM. ON THE GOOD SIDE THE FILETS WERE VERY GOOD, THOUGH IT TENDED TO COOL RATHER QUICKLY. DONOVAN'S STEAK HOUSE HAS A MORE ROMANTIC OR PRIVATE FEEL TO DINING
- OK, not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Food and Service was excellent. The place is extremely loud, which detracts from the ambience.Special Features:
- Everything a Steakhouse Should BeSDMcDinersDined on 8/15/2014Excellent food & service. All 4 of us loved our food. Pricey but worth it for a celebration. Noise level high, at times difficult to hear others at our table. I had the mixed grill - 6 oz filet, 4 shrimp & 2 scallops - so good & I liked getting to try so many things.
- Always Amazing!KMOSES15Dined on 8/15/2014Morton's San Diego has always been one of my top 3 favorites! The food and drinks are phenomenal and service is exceptional. Always a sure win in my book!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 nights, 2 visitsRichEDined on 8/11/2014I visited SD for a week and went to Morton's for a quiet dinner. The Filet was exceptional, but it was my server, Dedria who made me want to come back. I repeated the next night and everything was again exceptional. Dedria struck a great balance serving while making a line diner feel welcomed and important. That extra personal interaction was appreciated and exactly what I needed being in a strange town alone. I recommend Morton's and make sure you ask for Dedria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so good anymoreOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/11/2014Great food as usual but very noisy and very slow service.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceChanguisDined on 8/10/2014Food selection is good, the way the prepare the meals to my taste are almost perfect, since perfection does not exit. Excellent service, I highly recommend to come and enjoy the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morton'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Way to expensive ! Spent $160 and felt like the service at Denny's. I would not return. Service does not match the pricing.Special Features:
- Dinning experienceDonFelipeDined on 8/9/2014Had a wonderful time. We received wonderful service. Unfortunately my wife was not feeling well. Once we let the waitress know. She quickly bagged up our food so we could be on our way. My wife loved her for that. Not to mention all the other little things she did. Great experience even though the night was cut shortSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak housesvenDined on 8/6/2014Great food, perfect steak. Lots of choice from the wine list. Not much ambiance, almost empty when we were there during the weekSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceBobLVIPDined on 8/6/2014The steaks are prepared perfectly and the management team of Tim and Rudy do their very best to make you feel appreciated.Special Features:
- A wonderful experience!MWhitDined on 8/5/2014My favorite restaurant from coast to coast. Hands down the best food, wine selection, service and ambience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- priceMikeDined on 8/4/2014eveything was great except the price. Way to expensive!