Morton's The Steakhouse - Houston - Downtown
1001 McKinney Street
Houston, TX 77002Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Morton's The Steakhouse - Houston - Downtown
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.mortons.com/
- Phone: 7136593700
- Hours of Operation:
Lounge (Bar 12-21): Daily at 4:00pm
Monday - Thursday 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Sunday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Private and group dining available. Contact our dedicated Sales and Marketing Manager to plan your next business or social event. Hosting a party at your home or office? Ask about Morton's Prime To Go and Prime Platters!
- Special Events: Morton's in Houston (Downtown) hosts a variety of special events featuring fine wine & spirits, the best steak and a great time! For more information, visit http://www.mortons.com/houstondowntown
A word from Morton's The Steakhouse - Houston - Downtown
Morton's The Steakhouse, the nation's premier steakhouse group, specializes in classic, hearty fare, serving generous portions of USDA prime aged beef, as well as fresh fish, lobster and chicken entrees. The menu features a variety of favorite cuts, including a 24 ounce porterhouse, which is the house specialty; a 16 ounce New York Strip and a 12 ounce double cut filet.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Morton's The Steakhouse - Houston - Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (55)romantic (37)good for groups (32)notable wine list (30)great for lunch (29)fit for foodies (20)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (8)neighborhood gem (7)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Kitchen problemsMikeDined on 9/15/2014Wrong drink, wrong salad dressing, steak undercooked,almost 1 hour between salad and entree,, nothing else to saySpecial Features:
- Not HappyVickiEVIPDined on 9/11/2014There were 3 people in my party. We went there to take advantage of their Summer Finale deal of appetizer, entree, side dish, and dessert for $40. We all had the special. Add 3 glasses of house wine, and 2 cocktails and they charged us $92 each?????????? There were several things on our bill that we did not have. Did they think we would not notice when the bill was split evenly 3 ways? After we told them, they took $32 off each card. The food was good, but make sure to check your bill before you pay it.
- Nice ExperienceGreyGhostDined on 9/11/2014I would recommend as a good special occasion experience as the prices are, in my opinion, higher than the overall experience delivers. The food is very good with the steaks perfect. The table service was lacking, often having a hard time finding our waiter to fill water glasses and later order coffee. This was my first time for a lunch at this downtown location. There was no valet parking and no indication as to what was available so I drove around looking for spots. If they want to command these prices, the service should include a valet or clear choices for parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful!eatsoutDined on 9/10/2014The only place i can get a thick filet cooked med. well & not butterflied! Willie cooks them up perfectly!!!!!!Special Features:
- AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014The atmosphere was wonderful for my 40th birthday. The prices scared the living daylights out of my friends, but we laugh so much until they almost ordered the whole menu! Everything was wonderful. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Was good but not great!DecoyVIPDined on 8/29/2014Service was excellent! Was not crazy abouty steak. Have haduch better!!! We got a private room for 16 and the service was great. Wine was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014The food was wonderful. The service was slower than it should have been.Special Features:
- Rest WeekMiltonVIPDined on 8/23/2014They have a very diverse menu for restaurant week. It allowed people in our group that don't eat meat to order. The waiters were very attentive and took care of a missed order.Special Features:
- Steak not so greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/20/2014Service was great, the steak.... Not so much. I will go elsewhere from now on.
- Good Food, Great Service, Too LoudBusinessDinerDined on 8/20/2014Had a great experience as far as food and service goes but the restaurant too loud to have a decent conversation.Special Features:
- Below par service on this visit.RT3TDined on 8/20/2014Server missed the boat on delivering what I ordered. Ordered the 3 component set lunch. Waiter brought the wrong starter and never brought the dessert. Since I was with a large group, didn't press the issue. Usually see much better service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week menu sub parAllycat86Dined on 8/16/2014We went during restaurant week to enjoy a nice dinner without breaking the bank. What we got was bland, sub-par food and service. First, we were sat at the back right next to the kitchen. Secondly, our steaks were dry, tasteless and boring. The sides lacked anything to be desired and the dresserts tasted like they came out of a box. All in all, not a great experience and not what I would expect from such a high end restaurant. We probably won't be going back. Too many other delicious steakhouses in Houston.Special Features:
- Morton'sHappyTexanDined on 8/15/2014I took my wife here for her birthday. It was a spectacular experience. The entire staff that we came in contact with were very nice and professional. It was our first time there, but it definitely won't be our last. Magnificent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealcappacDined on 8/15/2014Had a chance to go during restaurant week. Treated wonderfully. Food was great. Service exceptional. Will be back.Special Features:
- Tried to pull a fast oneJktxVIPDined on 8/14/2014I used to love this Morton's but it has all gone downhill. My girlfriend and I let the waiter know that we both had dietary restrictions (dairy for me and gluten for her) we both ordered the mixed grill without butter. They served mine with butter, the waiter took it back to the kitchen and I literally watched them wipe the butter off of the shrimp and put the same shrimp on a new plate. I was not amused.
- good servicerainoutDined on 8/14/2014we had a very nice server, she was very friendly and always smiling. The food was delicious.Special Features:
- First time dinerGMACVIPDined on 8/12/2014This was my first time dining there. I enjoyed it so much so, that I am going again next week with a group of friends.Special Features:
- Anniversitysatisfied2014Dined on 8/9/2014We celebrated our anniversity at Mortons in downtown Houston. The flowers I ordered were on the table, as requested, when we were seated. The menu was customized with our names at the top. We were congratulated by every staff member from the hostess that greeted us when we arrived to our server. Our steaks were delicious and cooked to order. The sides we ordered were great and large enough to share. The Mortons sunday we shared was huge and a great way to end the meal. We never felt like we were rushed during the meal. All in all a five star meal fit for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Pretty GoodCelesteVIPDined on 8/9/2014The food was pretty good. Its not the best steakhouse in town but they sure do charge like they are. The lobster bisque was watery. Not creamy like you want it. The cajun steak and braised short rib were awesome though. The sevicec was a bit slow. It took us nearly 30 minutes to finally pay out. The bar was slow to get our drinks as well however our server was friendly. He had not tastes anything on the menu yet since he was so new ao getting recommendations was hard. Overall it was pretty good, just not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceAHancockDined on 8/7/2014Great service and food. Both of us had steaks which were cooked to order and delicious. The creamed corn is really amazing, not too creamy and a little spicy with ham. The seasonal offerings were great. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2014food here is good but not great and it needs to be great for what they charge. last time I was downtown for steak, I tried 3 Forks and it was much better.
- Bad Experience on a Special NightBadBirthdayDined on 8/3/2014We went to celebrate my husband's birthday. They could not retrieve our bottle of wine until the manager got off the phone. After waiting 20 minutes we were told they did not have the bottle we wanted, so we picked another. After waiting in the bar for over 30 minutes we finally received the wine with no apology or offer of an appetizer while we were inconvenienced. When we made it to the table our waiter was cold and only attended to the table when he served food. The topper, instead of giving my husband a birthday dessert like the Morton's we have been to in Chicago, galleria area and New York - they took my dessert stuck a candle in it and gave it to him. WE WILL NEVER VISIT the Downtown Houston location again!!! So Disappointed
- Not what I expectedFoodluverDined on 7/29/2014My lunch dish was fair at best. Not what I expected from this great restaurant. My server was OUTSTANDING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sat nite dinner for tworellufnallaDined on 7/26/2014Downtown on Sat nite is much better than the Post Oak location. Nice to be able to talk to your date without having to yell across the table. Excellent veal chop and outstanding wait staff.Special Features:
- Good dinnerhoustondinerDined on 7/22/2014We had a nice dinner and some excellent drinks and appetizers at the bar beforehand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jay z concert dinnerSamirDined on 7/18/2014I went for an early dinner before the concert at minute maid. Having valet parking was very useful as I didn't have a lot of time. I was seated right away and my waiter was very efficient, funny and helpful. Several patrons were in my same situation and I was impressed how efficient the meal service was. I returned a glass of wine I didn't like and got a different and better wine without arguments. Overall a very good meal and excellent service by the waiting staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a disappointment!PricesDined on 7/17/2014Went for wife's birthday as at other Morton's in past we have had great reception (rose petals on table, special menu with name & date on it, picture taken and birthday dessert) & great time. This was awful - no roses, just a blanket birthday menu, the camera didn't flash so both pictures they gave us were fuzzy; drink she ordered, were out of an ingredient so ordered a glass of wine -yep they were out of it too; all 3 of us ordered filet - one well, 2 med rare, one was supposed to be Oscar style & all three arrived with no one knowing which was the well done one & Oscar was missing; Oscar-less one went back to kitchen, came back with cold asparagus & sauce - back to kitchen; charged $11 for b-day dessert. Mgr. said Comp, but didn't happen.
- Losing Classic TouchRobertDined on 7/12/2014Food was great as has been a long-standing tradition at Morton's even with the Landry's takeover. However, the "traditional" Morton's is a thing of the past. Landry's is making to many small touches go away that have totally changed the landscape of Mortons. This is too bad because there are many places to get a 40-50 dollar steak but only a handful of places that remain true to the "steakhouse" ambiance of the past. Seem's Landry's made the changes to attract a different group of customers, but the loyal older crowd remains loyal even though many of the things we are used to are now gone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Me some Morton'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2014I have attended meals at Morton's for a few years now. I can honestly say I have NEVER had a bad steak, it comes out the way you order it. Their filet Mignon is to die for, melts in your mouth. The share veggies are massive portions, and the bread, OMG to die for! Thank you Landry's for a great place in Morton's! The only thing I could say that needs improvement, the waiter was not well versed in regards to the wine selection. He was able to get someone that was able to have an educated discussion regarding the wines and we were able to find a delicious bottle. But I feel the wait staff should be able to have this discussion with diners. Other wise it is an amazing place for a great night out or lunch.Special Features:
- Great steaks but pricey!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/7/2014Can only afford for special occasions or on expense account.Special Features:
- Business lunchHoustonEatsDined on 6/30/2014Good choice for upscale downtown business lunch: Good food, reasonable prices, and professional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very impressivefunplacefunplaceDined on 6/27/2014We very much enjoyed the ambiance of the restaurant, much more than the one in the Galleria area. It reminded us of the famous Prime Rib restaurant in Washington, DC - dark but very classy. The waitress was extremely cordial and friendly, and the food was delicious. I didn't look at the wine list, though I will my next visit. Overall, it was an extremely pleasurable experience.Special Features:
- Really Bad Experience....kbarberDined on 6/27/2014My mother's 80th birthday dinner. Celebration, it took 2 hours to receive our main course, because the kitchen lost our order and our waiter never told us, just Baffling that it was coming... During that time not one management staff came to our table for any reason. Not a hello or hows everything going, nothing until I complained. Appetizers came in a reasonable time, but after that the waiter missing long periods of time... Drink orders were slow, one didn't receive her wine until the main course was over. The young people at the table was restless begging to leave because the food was taking so long. I could really diatribe about experience, it ruined my mother's 80th birthday celebration dinner.
- KeithDined on 6/27/2014We ordered the Lobster special on June 29. It was tough and the sides were not good. Wait service was horribly slow. Waiter would disappear for 15 minutes at a time and not be anywhere to be found on the dining floor. I advised him that I am a Landry's Select Club member, but did not have my card with me. He said that he would ask for my number before he rang up the bill, but failed to do it, so the meal was not credited to my account. We were very disappointed in this dinner service and will not be returning to this store.
- perfection exists!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/27/2014From the decor to the hostess to bartenders and waitstaff. Everything came together in perfection. The food quality, taste and presentation was excellent. Too few times in life something doesn't meet expectations. At Mortons you can raise your expectations !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Disappointed...MontecoreVIPDined on 6/27/2014For some reason my table with the empty drink glasses like nothing. No cleaning up no refills...Eventually a lady who I assumed was a manager came by and grabbed about half the shells. When Annie finally did stop by she reached down (without asking) and grabbed my wife's plate that still had a complete lobster claw on it! We stopped and she took off...never took my completely empty plate of cleared all the empty dishes or shells. It gets worse from there.
- Well executed and refreshing decorComfort0the0FurloughedVIPDined on 6/26/2014We were pleasantly surprised by the light interior which made the space welcoming and enjoyable. The food was outstanding as was the service that delivered it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great overall dining, a bit noisy.EveningDinerDined on 6/26/2014Overall quality of food was very good. The seafood appetizer platter was exceptional. Main entree (steak) was very good and flavorful. Dessert (chocolate mouse) was good. Great wine. Wonderful service, but restaurant was a bit too loud for business discussion. I did not like our table position - it was for 8, with 3 of us literally facing the restaurant door (a no-no in certain cultures!), and captured considerable noise overflow from the bar. Difficult to discuss business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't waste your $$LovetoeatDined on 6/25/2014So me and my friend like to try nice steakhouses well this one was on our list and all i can say is DO NOT WASTE your TIME or $$ going to Morton's. I would recommend Vic and Anthonys same price and way better tasting and quality food. We ordered lobster bisque and it came out like tomato soup with one piece of lobster claw. All around we just had nothing good to say.
- Delicious Food!SmileyDined on 6/22/2014My wife and I enjoyed our dining experience at Morton's. The food was prepared just right! Never had a better steak than the Cajun Ribeye!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.