Morrell Wine Bar & Cafe
1 Rockefeller Plaza
New York, NY 10020Neighborhood:
Rockefeller Center Midtown
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Morrell Wine Bar & Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.morrellwinebar.com/
- Phone: 2122627700x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday, 11:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., bar until 11:00 p.m.
Sunday 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American
- Executive Chef: Juan-Carlos Mendoza
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Main dining area can be closed off for a party of 30. Mezzanine dining are can accommodate up to 30 stand-up reception & up to 25 sit-down.
- Private Party Contact: Todd Simon or Anna-Christina Cabrales 2122627700x
- Special Events: Parties of 6 or more will require a credit card number to hold your reservation. 24 hour notice is required for all cancelled reservations secured with a credit card. If you are unable to honor 24 hour notice, you will be charged a cancellation fee of $25.00.
For private events contact Todd Simon or Anna-Christina Cabrales at 212-262-7700
A word from Morrell Wine Bar & Cafe
Morrell Wine Bar & Cafe serves more than 150 wines by the glass, the largest selection in New York City, and an extensive selection of rare and hard-to-find bottles, making it a prime destination for wine lovers from around the world. With views of Rockefeller Plaza, and during the winter holidays, the famous Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree, the upscale wine bar also offers globally inspired bar bites, innovative cocktails, and a selection of aged, large format beers from around the world. Join us this summer for wine on our newly redesigned terrace in the heart of midtown's beautiful landmark.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Morrell Wine Bar & Cafe - Best Restaurants in Rockefeller Center Midtown ›
Morrell Wine Bar & Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (42)great for outdoor dining (37)great for lunch (24)scenic view (18)fit for foodies (18)neighborhood gem (11)special occasion (7)romantic (6)great for brunch (6)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (4)good for groups (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- OverpricedBorlDined on 10/11/2014Food looked good but lacked finesse; taste was way too strong. Choice in wine is amazing but very expensive. Cold draft throughout restaurant. Very nice and friendly staff.
- Lovely evening and excellent wine!,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Great spot with great wine and fun appetizers. Staff was courteous and helpful with menu and wine choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad food, stingy pourNyfoodygirlDined on 9/24/2014This restaurant is over priced and I've had better food in a diner. The $15, 3 oz pour of wine was particularly comical if not downright insulting. Not to be outdone by the seared tuna salad that had no flavor. Never again.Special Features:
- KeeperFoodieDined on 9/18/2014Morrell was recommended by a friend and we loved it! Our waiter was excellent helping us with wine selection. I had the risotto and my husband had the steak. Both were great. Highly recommend the pear salad - to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as alwaysdebnjVIPDined on 9/12/2014Morrell never disappoints. Excellent wines, food is great and service alway attentive but not instrusive.Special Features:
- New decor with new pricesHammertimeDined on 8/31/2014The new décor is refreshing, but reminds me of a diner. It is not quite as nice as I thought from the photos. That said it is nice, clean and much brighter than it used to be (in a good way). Wine prices went up to help pay for decorating it seems. Food menu is the same....tasty! And if the weather cooperates the outdoor dining is always great for people watching. There is usually a nice breeze. And of course after dinner you can go into the wine store and buy something to take home!Special Features:
- Lovely lunch for Restaurant WeekstefystefDined on 8/15/2014I have passed by Morrell's many times when in the Rockefeller Center area, but never thought to go in. During the NYC Summer Restaurant Week 2014, my friend and I decided to have lunch there because we liked the menu offered. While it is busy and a bit noisy outside (Rockefeller Center and NBC TODAY studio is right next door), the inside of the restaurant was quiet and conducive to fine dining. The food was very good and the wine suggestions were on the mark. The staff was very helpful and friendly and added to the enjoyment of the lunch. Would recommended this restaurant to NYers and visitors alike.Special Features:
- Never had a bad meal herePowerladyDined on 8/6/2014We had dinner here and ate outside since the weather was nice. It is wonderful to see Rockefeller center.They have redone the interior. I preferred the old decorating, but the food is every bit as excellent as ever. We accidentally hit restaurant week and had a bargain 3 course meal for $38.Special Features:
- luvNYCDined on 8/1/2014Perhaps it was the heavy traffic we got stuck in on the way to the restaurant or maybe the rainy weather or maybe the loud group of 10 we were seated next to, but I was not overly impressed with this restaurant. The food was good but portions were small. The wine list was impressive and all four of us truly enjoyed our glasses of both reds and whites. Servers were friendly and knowledgeable. I guess I should have expected it to be "touristy" given it's Rockefeller Center location. I would stop in here for a glass or two of wine again if I happened to be in the area, but would not plan another dinner there.Special Features:
- Morrells was OKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014We ate at Morrells 2 weeks ago and found it disappointing. The location opposite the Rockerfeller Plaza is great and the service from our table waiter and the front of house was exemplary but we were overwhelmed with the prices for mediocre food. I had a pumpkin, cheese and walnut and rocket salad which was predominantly a bowl full of rocket. The few bits of cheese and pumpkin were very small and sparse on the plate and the pumpkin pieces had obviously just come out of the fridge because they were freezing cold and pretty tasteless. My husband had a duck dish which was similarly presented - on a dish full of salad with very little duck on the top. Overall, I would say this restaurant is not worth the money it charges.
- nydinernydinerDined on 7/28/2014I'm so glad that they brought back the steak salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Midtown mainstayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/24/2014I came here during restaurant week for lunch. I am not a wine drinker, so I cannot speak about the wine. Food was alright. The menu could be improved. Best thing was the friend I lunched with and that we sat outside!Special Features:
- Welcoming and DeliciousKathyVIPDined on 7/23/2014From start to finish our dinner at Morell Wine Bar & Cafe was superlative. We received a warm welcome from the maître d, our server was very pleasant and helpful. We thoroughly enjoyed the crab appetizer, followed by the most delicious carbonara ever and a perfectly prepared steak. Ice cream medley dessert and delicious wines. Fantastic; can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Great service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/22/2014The food, services, ambience and diversity of wines was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and UnderwhelmingyummyATLfoodsVIPDined on 7/21/2014Sat outside with two others and we split 4 smaller dishes (the meatball sliders, flat bread, stuffed mushrooms and pulled pork tacos). All very small portions - enough for three girls as we weren't that hungry, but too expensive for what we got. The stuffed mushrooms were so tiny as well as the tacos. It was a nice view of Rockefeller Plaza and the service was good, just won't be going back.
- JulieOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2014Great place to escape the hustle and bustle. Great food and amazing serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will returnOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2014Enjoyed every part of our lunch. I would recommend Morells to anyone visiting NYCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 351 reviews are from the Morrell Wine Bar & Cafe reviews archive.
- All around lovely experienceRGS218VIPDined on 6/20/2014We arrived early and they sat us immediately at a great table outdoors on a perfect summer evening. Attentive and friendly service, hostess was extremely friendly and answered questions we had about some art work out on the Plaza, food delicious and not run-of-the-mill. We had a two minute walk to our show at Radio City. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- GuestVIPDined on 6/14/2014We loved the outdoor seating and of course, the location is great. We each ordered a different salad and none were really special. I'd had the kale salad before and enjoyed it, but this time the leaves were huge and difficult to eat. Our waiter seeemed distracted and had to keep returning to the table to ask us again about our order. Maybe just an off day ....Special Features:
- Good Rock Center locationJimMcDined on 6/10/2014Good food, great wine list, good service. Great location at Rock Center. Convenient to Midtown/Times Square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rock Plaza GemJudithVIPDined on 6/6/2014I had lunch with my friends who recommended Morrell's, and I am glad they did. I was the first to arrive, and I was seated without any hesitation. Most places make you wait until the entire party arrives. The prix fixe three course lunch was amazing, and the prices of wines were quite reasonable. I would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteveDined on 6/4/2014I live in Long Island, and traveled out to Manhattan to finally try Morrell Wine Bar. I am happy that I did, because this place is well worth the visit. The food they offer is delicious and fresh. However, the best part of the visit was interacting with the staff. The server was thoughtful, attentive, and anticipated our needs.Our meal was carefully paired with exciting wines for each course by the sommelier, Anna. Each course - Anna chose different pairings for us,that complemented our meals and personality. It was amazing to see the execution of such a large wine by the glass list (153 offerings).I recommend Morrell Wine Bar to anyone who enjoys great food and especially wine. The wines offered are rare, approachable, and high quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/29/2014This is my regular place for lunch and it is perfect every single time. Service is outstanding and every staff member is professional, food is always amazing and they are always very quick with everything. On a warm day you can enjoy dining outside and on a cooler day you can have a table upstairs for more privacy!Special Features:
- Highly recommendNYCwinoDined on 5/24/2014I have been to Morrell several times and each time is better than the last. The wine is always delicious. The staff is knowledgable and friendly. The atmosphere is great indoors and outdoors. It is perfect for dinner or just to stop in for appetizers and a glass of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent All AroundOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014Went here for the first time with a friend for an early dinner and was very happy with our experience. The wine list was extensive and quite impressive. The staff is very personable, warm and welcoming. And the food was great and offered a lot for a NYC winebar. Definitely a hidden gem in Rockefeller Center -- We're certain to come back again soon. Thanks for everything!Special Features:
- Friday LunchGeorge1Dined on 5/16/2014Great place to meet friends for lunch....great locationn and very knowledgable barmen.Special Features:
- not the Morrell's we knew and lovedDianeVIPDined on 5/11/2014When we first arrived we were the only patrons inside the dining room. It took several minutes for our waiter to greet us and take our wine order. Many more minutes before we received our wine and were able to order. We ordered small plates which came rather promptly - but our entrée orders were delivered to another table that had arrived after ours and they proceeded to eat them and then complained it wasn't their order! Our waiter never explained the delay in our order which I assume had to be remade resulting in an even greater delay. We had to ask to order more wine, wait again and eventually decided to not even try to order dessert.
- MediocreDisappointedDined on 5/10/2014When visiting Morrell's for the 1st time we were very disappointed with the food and ambience after reading Tripadvisor. We requested a good table when booking but were put at the back near the kitchen entrance. Morrell's was not busy, therefore this would have been possible.
- Too expensive for what you getSharDined on 5/9/2014I met a friend there for lunch, fun place but the food was just average. I had the ahi tuna salad, and the tuna tasted too fishy and not much flavor. While my friend said his cob salad was good. I think the price was high for what we got.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotDRyeVIPDined on 5/2/2014Central location and friendly, attentive staff. I will be returningSpecial Features:
- Notable wine listCPwiseVIPDined on 4/17/2014Nice remodeling of the place, the wine list is still spectacularSpecial Features:
- Great rest., not a tourist trapRI401VIPDined on 4/13/2014You would think that because Morell's is located at the Rockefeller Center, next to NBC studios it could be a tourist trap but it is not. Wine list is excellent (unless you wanted wine from Portugal which they didn't have). We sat outside on a beautiful sunny day. Hostess was friendly and attentive. Food was good, although we (party of 7) went mostly to drink wine. Only complain would be that our waiter looked a bit annoyed that mostly had wine. If you mind tourist looking at you like a caged zoo animal, get a indoor table or sit at the bar, ambiance and service inside is great too, specially at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be aware of the napkins, theyusingItDined on 4/10/2014Be aware of the napkins, they leave noticeable white marks on black trousers. Food was OK.
- Rockeffler Center gem1101VIPDined on 4/9/2014The food here was beyond superb. The wine list is extensive and a product of people who know about wine. The staff bends over backwards to accommodate the customer. I will return again and again and again! The BEST!Special Features:
- Great place to catch upFoodforthoughtDined on 4/8/2014It was just remodeled and the décor was nice and clean. Service was wonderful and gave my friend and I a chance to catch up. Not too noisy and food was just right. Good place for business meeting too in the Rockefeller Center area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morrell is tastyHeatherDined on 4/4/2014Great little spot in the midtown area with a great wine selection.Special Features:
- Nice view of Rockefeller centerOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 2/6/2014Nice view of Rockefeller center Great wine list. Service slowSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Spot for After ShoppingMertaDined on 2/6/2014The servers were very nice and accommodating. The food was relatively good for a touristy area. I would say the menu is limited and the place is more for people who want to get a drink with little finger foods.Special Features:
- Such a let downKatblueDined on 2/3/2014This used to be a sneak away treat. A pretty setting with vast wine selections and yummy food. Not anymore. They were out of my first three wine choices - the food was in edible and the staff barely cared. We were in and out in 30 minutes - and stopped on way to theater for another meal
- A place to return to again & again!HappyVIPDined on 1/27/2014Been coming here for yrs. from Philly. Will & Jusus' rock!! Wine bible is terrific, food great, location on Rock Center perfect & outdoor lunch super nice. Food is very good but we come back for Will & Jesus' and the fabulous wine!Special Features: