1775 Ala Moana Boulevard
Honolulu, HI 96815Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.morimotowaikiki.com/
- Phone: (808) 943-5900
- Hours of Operation:
Sushi Bar and Bar 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Masaharu Morimoto
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wine
- Catering: Semi Private Dining Room avaialble that seats up to 20 guests as well as a semi private cabana that seats up to 10 guests.
- Special Events: Please call for more information.
- Cross Street: Hobron
- Public Transit: Morimoto Waikiki is on the Red Line for the Honolulu Trolley, exit Discovery Bay. If taking TheBus, the following lines are avaiable 8, 19,20,23,24,42 and E, The Country Express.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Complimentary Valet Parking is available at The Modern Honolulu which is located on Hobron Lane in between Ala Moana Blvd and Holomoana Street.
A word from Morimoto Waikiki
Morimoto's contemporary Japanese menu infuses traditional dishes with Western ingredients and preparation techniques. His seasonal and ever-changing selection of raw fish preparations will feature the best seafood that the Hawaiian waters have to offer as well as locally grown fruits and vegetables from supporting farmers. Morimoto's signature offerings include Toro Tartare, presented in a shallow wooden tray with condiments including Osetra Caviar, crème frâiche, wasabi, avocado, shiso leaf and dashi-soy and Tuna Pizza made with raw tuna, anchovy aioli and jalapeno as well as Morimoto Sashimi, a terrine of seared toro, smoked salmon, barbequed eel, tuna and hamachi served with five different sauces in pipettes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Morimoto Waikiki - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
Morimoto Waikiki reviews from OpenTable diners
173 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (130)special occasion (125)great for outdoor dining (90)scenic view (84)romantic (68)good for groups (63)hot spot (53)great for lunch (36)neighborhood gem (25)notable wine list (25)vibrant bar scene (21)kid-friendly (14)late-night find (12)great for brunch (10)Show More
- 20 out of 10!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014This place is a MUST on any trip to Waikiki. The service was amazing, everyone was extremely attentive and respectful. The food was outstanding and outshone every other aspect of our perfect evening.. which should have been hard to do. Every item menu is unique and peaks interest. I cannot wait to go back to be able to try their other offerings. Everything about this restaurant breeds excitement and a welcoming atmosphere. I cannot rave enough about this place. Go! It will definitely be an evening you always remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner in HonoluluHammer1Dined on 11/21/2014Would recommend this restaurant to anyone who is celebrating a special occasion. Food, service, and drinks were outstanding. Best sushi on the Hawaiian islands. Beautiful decor. Lovely wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time impressionsTerryDined on 11/16/2014Our first time here. I found our wait staff to be not only friendly and prompt but also very well informed about all of the menu selections. They listened to what we said and fulfilled every desire. The food was extraordinary. We are already looking forward to our next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Possibly the BEST all around restaurant in Hawaii.CUD3VIPDined on 11/14/2014From the time you enter the restaurant with the customary and appreciated welcome to the superb bar and bartenders you know you are in for an amazing experience. I always ask for Ryan who has been our waiter since we found Morimoto. My wife and I moved to Hawaii three years ago from NYC where we taught wine courses for over thirty years so we do know our restaurants and wine lists. Morimoto has out together an excellent wine list taylored to their complex flavors with decent prices. The food is amazing with simple preparations to show off their high level quality to their more complex preparations. Listen to your waiter and feel free to share your likes and dislikes. Also you have a choice of eating in their gorgeous dinning room or out under their tented lanai. That's why I used my title, The Best balanced all around restaurant in Hawaii.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar Dinner, almost perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/14/2014I highly recommend the Omakase tasting dinner, it was truly sublime... and they'll work with you if you have dietary restrictions. The one disappointment we had was the spicy crab legs, which were well cooked and presented but the spice level was way over the top and affected other dishes after it to too great of a degree... and this is coming from someone who was born and raised in Texas and New Mexico and can eat hot jalapeños whole with no real problems. It was just not well calibrated in terms of heat and it unfortunately messed up other dishes due to that. But I cannot say enough about how scrumptious the rest of the food was. And the sake offerings are rather sparse, mostly focused on Morimoto's own label, but they are very good selections at that and we got two bottles of the medium and fancy grade.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a delight!LindajsweetpeaVIPDined on 11/13/2014We go to Morimoto everytime we go to Oahu. Love everything about it. We live inNapa and also love that one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not greatjtechDined on 11/13/2014Morimoto Waikiki didn't quite live up to our expectations. The decor and ambiance was nice and clean, soft greens and whites. It wasn't decidedly Japanese in many ways, but more modern. The flat stone tables however were in desperate need of coasters, as without them, our table was literally covered in condensation droplets from our water glasses by the end. The food was good, but not terribly adventurous. The small-grain rice was a bit more firm than I would have preferred. I enjoyed the fish, it was well prepared. Service was great, our waiter very attentive. The biggest negative was the speed. We were one of five tables in the restaurant and our entrees took so long to arrive, our waiter apologized twice for the delay. Overall, I suppose I was expecting to be blown-away by an Iron Chef experience. It was the disappointment of satisfaction instead of enchantment, however. Merely good, not great.
- Not worth your money.TaniaDined on 11/11/2014This place is expensive and portions small. When the restaurant is less than half full during peak dining hours how can 2 out of 8 entrees not be available. The waiter told us that the portions were very generous, the belly pork, one tiny piece, was not generous at all. I ordered the tasting menu for $120, which included 7 courses, didn't really get it, dessert was much to be desired. Not worth it, save your money and go to Nobu, Benihana's is also a better choice. This place is overhyped by people who watch too much TV.
- Loved it!KmcmcDined on 11/8/2014I was immediately struck by how beautiful the interior was, the atmosphere was buzzy without being too loud. We ordered the omakase (chefs selection) and I'm so glad we did. Each dish was imaginative and delicious. The sashimi plate was outstanding. The service was attentive without being overbearing and the wait staff had a really good knowledge of each dish. I would definitely recommend morimotoSpecial Features:
- Excellent Japanese FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/7/2014One of the best Japanese food, we ever had (including Japan). Great location at the waterfront. Sleek, contemporary ambiance. Excellent service. Will come back again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/5/2014Our server, Mimi, was excellent. Her "care" of our dining experience was sincere and genuine. And of course the food was excellent. I enjoyed the pork chop so much last time, I had it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a surprise1honestdudeDined on 11/2/2014Finally a Waikiki restaurant that appears to want you back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- morimotomademedoitDined on 11/2/2014Had the chef's choice for $120 because I couldn't decide what to eat. Have to admit that I was expecting better. While four of the courses were delicious, two were disappointing, and one was inedible and uninspired. However, the three other members of my party were happy with their meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely satisfyingOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 11/1/2014This was my second time to Morimoto's, and was just as pleased-if not more than the first. We asked our server lots of questions about the menu, he was insightful, and incredibly knowledgeable about the menu. We went with his recommendation for the Ahi pizza appetizer and enjoyed it- it was a creative dish with a combination of flavors that were simple, yet distinguished and put together in a way that brought out the taste of each one. For entree we had the pork chop (AMAZING!) and snapper. My husband and I split both and enjoyed every bit. We filled up and passed on dessert, but will definitely come back to enjoy some sweets another time.Special Features:
- YUMFoodieJudyDined on 11/1/2014A culinary delight. If you are a true foodie, you will not be disappointed. Due to the unfamiliarity with some of the dishes we did not do the Chef tasting. However, every dish we ordered was a treat for the eyes and pallet. We absolutely will be doing the chef tasting next time.Special Features:
- Ahhhhhh-mazing!DrHowFunVIPDined on 10/31/2014The vibe, the view, the service, the food, the presentation, the taste, the experience - Ahhhhhh-mazing! Can't say enough about the high level of quality. Appetizer: you've got to try Pork Gyozo with bacon cream foam, (that's right-bacon cream foam), & the Morimoto Style Poke with Avocado Wasabai Sorbet. (Start off with the Sake sampler - there's no sake like Morimoto's sake like no Sake I know). The Seafood Toban Yaki (with Keahole Lobster, Alaskan King Crab, Mussels, Clams, Diver Scallops, & Spicy Red Miso-Sake Broth) is better than any Cioppino,...ever. My wife had the Ishi Yaki Buri Bop - Yellowtail cooked tableside in a hot stone bowl. Equally memorable. Finale-Chocolate Peanut Bombe & Chocolate Shiso. An Ahhhh-mazing evening awaits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014The service was great but the restaurant wasn't very busy during lunch on Halloween. I ordered the chicken katsu sandwich. The sauce soaked into the bread and made it soggy. The chicken katsu is better at Grace's Drive In. The appetizer, Rock Shrimp was okay. We enjoyed the wasabi shrimp over the Korean style. That shrimp was a total bummer. I would not return for the price we paid.
- Complete experience!SeattlefoodDined on 10/30/2014Morimotos has been on my bucket list as a foodie, and it did not disappoint. Went with the $120 tasting menu and could barely start the 5th course of 7 due to amount of food. To start 2 cold apps, followed by 2 hot apps, followed by 5 sushi plate, main course( surf and turf), and finally desert. What a journey. Highly recommend this restaurant. Didn't receive a 5 star due to the mistake of adding a lack luster desert at the end, which was preceded by heavy Spicy oil Indian/Japanese five spice surf and turf. Thus, the desert fell far short. Not to mention the wait of 15min after final course. Wasn't ideal for a foodie OMG rating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to celebratepommomDined on 10/30/2014One of the best places to hold a celebration! The ambiance, attentive staff, views and the food are amazing. Highly recommend the sushi! They have something on the menu for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Notable dining and excellent sushiMemoVIPDined on 10/27/2014I love Morimoto for its interesting menu and excellent sushi. Started my meal with XO scallops which were gently cooked in a fantastic broth that was savory and a bit spicy. I had the sushi assortment which is always excellent. My husband had the sashimi salad to start and Angry Chicken, a breast and leg seasoned with hot peppers and quite spicy, as a main--it was perfect for my chile loving husband. We've eaten at Morimotos many times and were so happy we returned on our brief visit to Waikiki.Special Features:
- Perfect night at MorimotoJoeyPDined on 10/26/2014An amazing experience, worth every cent. Words can not describe the standard of food that was served to us. We ordered the chefs selection, which consisted of 7 amazing courses. Excellent service and friendly staff. 10/10!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectEnglishlad808Dined on 10/25/2014The whole experience was fantastic , food was as you would expect from a iron chef, the decor was also very clean with a modern touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for fine dinningLBCatanDined on 10/24/2014Food was great and surprisingly large portions. Delicious sushi and we also had the surf and turf, the filet was perfectly tender. Awesome service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional service, okay foodOhNomNom14Dined on 10/23/2014The highlight of the evening was that Chef Morimoto was actually there and our server Mark made the effort to ask if we would like to take a picture with him, so of course we did! The service was great but the food wasn't anything spectacular with the exception of the sushi. The maki rolls we had were the best part. Very fresh and attention to detail of flavors and textures. The only disappointment was the wagyu beef, because you expect it to taste better than a regular steak from a steakhouse but if eaten side by side you'd probably couldn't tell. It didn't ruin the experience but it's not a restaurant that I'd splurge at again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morimoto Waikiki does it againKekoaVIPDined on 10/22/2014First of all, I always enjoy dining at Morimoto he is my favorite iron Chef and he simply is a badass Chef. Server Ryan was awesome, he made some new recommdations of new menu items and new cocktails. Great energy! I love itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tastydrdiningdivaVIPDined on 10/20/2014I was impressed with design of restaurant. I thought some of the dishes had too much going on as far as additional sauces, not necessary with such fresh fish. Other than that it was great! Saw chef morimoto!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mad about morimoto'shappyfoodieDined on 10/20/2014If you want a truly extraordinary dining experience go to Moromoto's Waikiki. The menu is exotic, yet familiar and comforting. The is attentive and friendly, without being cloying. A must when you're in Honolulu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonder dinningEddieDined on 10/13/2014This is the second time I've eaten at Morimoto's and just gets better, staff knowable, friendly and fun. Amazing food and great wine list. Not cheap but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good.MichelleDined on 10/11/2014Having been to other Morimoto restaurants, I was little disappointed by this one. Actual menu items were a bit different from what was listed on the menu. That being said, the food was still generally delicious. I'd suggest checking out another Morimoto restaurant, however, to get a better experience and more delicious flavours.Special Features:
- Awesome Authentic Sushilived26yrsinTyoDined on 10/11/2014Morimoto has got to be the best place to get authentic sushi in Honolulu as the ingredients are direct from Japan. We had Okano-san, who was from Japan as our sushi chef and he did a wonderful job of keeping us fed.!Special Features:
- Imaginative and well donePWSolvangDined on 10/8/2014This was our first time at Morimoto (any location) and we were thinking that the fame and attention of the name might not translate to the plate. Wrong. This was a thrilling dining experience. The rolls were well-priced and fresh, but the highlights were an amazing tofu, made at the table (literally) and a beautiful, fresh Bagna Cauda, something we did not expect to see here. The whole crispy fish (Branzino) was exceptional as well. Although the wine list was rather dull (we have rather high expectations....), the service was exceptional. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbKalenaDined on 10/4/2014I hosted two my team members and they were very impressed with the food and service. Thanks to the restaurant for everything. Great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BEST of the BESTCUD3VIPDined on 10/3/2014Moved from the restaurant world, NYC to Oahu three years ago. Worked as a wine educator in NYC for over 30 years so food and restaurants were one of our passions. Had two dinners at Morimoto in Maui for our 45th wedding anniversary and was overwhelmed. But the experience my wife and I had at Morimoto Waikiki surpassed anything we could imagine. Been to all of the top Oahu restaurants and we can easily say that Morimoto is # 1. Great bar scene with highly creative drinks. Ryan was our waiter on the lanai which was so romantic. He and the entire staff worked as a well oiled team. Super wine list with some exciting choices under $80. The menu is complex and we basically ordered all small plates. Go and be titilated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of WaikikiOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/3/2014We've been going to Morimotos since the first day they opened and they continue to improve. This is a wonderful setting near the yacht harbor and many tables have a view. The food is creative, the ingredients fresh and everything well prepared. We usually have good service but our waiter this time was outstanding --- he knew the menu very well, understood how to course the food and provided us with a leisurely, great dining experience -- this is my top choice in Waikiki and Honolulu.Special Features:
- Had high expectations, disappointedCafaDined on 10/2/2014For a restaurant that prides itself on quality food, we were disappointed. Of the selection of sashimi, sushi, appetisers and entrees, we selected 8 dishes to share as a couple and only one of these we thought was worth the money. The sushi was fantastic, very fresh and well prepared. However the other dishes were nothing out of the ordinary, very average. I would say that they charge double what the meal is worth. The smoked salmon sashimi was very dull and flavourless, and the tempura prawns 2-ways was too heavy and greasy, with a ranch sauce that didn't need to be there. Overall, for a birthday dinner with my partner this was a disappointing end to what was a great day up until then. Service was great and Duane did a great job.Special Features:
- Great DinnerSailorBlueDined on 9/28/2014We celebrated Morimoto Waikiki's 4th anniversary Sunday night with a sumptuous spread of pupus that included waygu carpaccio, pork gyoza, yellowtail pastrami, hamaci taco and, of couse, some sushi. All the dishes were fantastic in presentation, taste and pace of service. The staff was attentive, friendly and knowledgable without being intrusive. Overall, it was the great evening I have come to expect from Morimoto's.Special Features:
- Never fails to impressReeceVIPDined on 9/28/2014Tried the Seafood Toban Yaki. VERY spicy. The offer it in mild which I probably should have done.Special Features:
- EnonymousDined on 9/26/2014Outstanding dining experience in all respects. Waiter, service, and food were exceptional.Special Features:
- amazing!2foodiesDined on 9/24/2014This is hands down the best dinner I have ever eaten! The food is not only incredible but everything is presented in such a beautiful way. Each course was a piece of art! Our service was outstanding. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently excellent food/servicebobatthebeachVIPDined on 9/20/2014we have eaten several times for breakfast, lunch and dinner and it never disappoints- the food is always spot-on.Special Features: