1775 Ala Moana Boulevard
Honolulu, HI 96815Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.morimotowaikiki.com/
- Phone: 8089435900x
- Hours of Operation:
Sushi Bar and Bar 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Masaharu Morimoto
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wine
- Catering: Semi Private Dining Room avaialble that seats up to 20 guests as well as a semi private cabana that seats up to 10 guests.
- Special Events: Please call for more information.
- Cross Street: Hobron
- Public Transit: Morimoto Waikiki is on the Red Line for the Honolulu Trolley, exit Discovery Bay. If taking TheBus, the following lines are avaiable 8, 19,20,23,24,42 and E, The Country Express.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Complimentary Valet Parking is available at The Modern Honolulu which is located on Hobron Lane in between Ala Moana Blvd and Holomoana Street.
A word from Morimoto Waikiki
Morimoto's contemporary Japanese menu infuses traditional dishes with Western ingredients and preparation techniques. His seasonal and ever-changing selection of raw fish preparations will feature the best seafood that the Hawaiian waters have to offer as well as locally grown fruits and vegetables from supporting farmers. Morimoto's signature offerings include Toro Tartare, presented in a shallow wooden tray with condiments including Osetra Caviar, crème frâiche, wasabi, avocado, shiso leaf and dashi-soy and Tuna Pizza made with raw tuna, anchovy aioli and jalapeno as well as Morimoto Sashimi, a terrine of seared toro, smoked salmon, barbequed eel, tuna and hamachi served with five different sauces in pipettes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Morimoto Waikiki - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
Morimoto Waikiki reviews from OpenTable diners
157 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (113)fit for foodies (109)great for outdoor dining (80)scenic view (75)romantic (53)good for groups (48)great for lunch (34)hot spot (33)notable wine list (20)neighborhood gem (18)great for brunch (17)kid-friendly (12)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (7)Show More
- consistently excellent food/servicebobatthebeachVIPDined on 9/20/2014we have eaten several times for breakfast, lunch and dinner and it never disappoints- the food is always spot-on.Special Features:
- melt in your mouth sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2014Morimoto has done it again. First in Delhi at Wasabi and now here. The decor, staff and food selection are a par above the rest. Our waiter Duane did a great job in explaining the specials, favorites and unique items on the menu. A must have is the Kakuni which was an out of this world braided pork. The cocktails were fresh, delicious and quickly served. Last but not least we enjoyed melt in your mouth sashimi sampler that tasted as magnificently as it was presented. If you are looking for fresh and delicious sushi & Japanese food this is your place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food - excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014My wife and I went with another couple. The waiter recommended we choose several dishes and share family style. We had 6 dishes total and all were very nicely prepared, presented and most of all delicious. The waiter was excellent, attentive but not over bearing. Would recommend to others visiting Honolulu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServicelovefoodDined on 9/15/2014Not the first time eating here. We really enjoyed the food and service. Some of the entrees are puzzling to think that it would taste good, but they are all great, which is why he is an iron chef. We did family style dining. This allowed us to get a variety of dishes.Special Features:
- Wonderful Lunchvols94Dined on 9/15/2014Went for lunch while on vacation in Honolulu. Open concept and the food was excellent. We tried a variety of items including dessert. What we expected from an Iron Chef's restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well done guysKekoaVIPDined on 9/15/2014Another night of perfection! For service to food to everything Mahalo allSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A meal of qualityNancyVAVIPDined on 9/11/2014We celebrated our wedding anniversary at Morimoto's and couldn't have been more pleased. We used to watch the Japanese reruns of Iron Chef and Morimoto was always our favorite. The white fish carappacio, the sushi and dessert were of high quality and you can tell that the kitchen pays a lot of attention to detail as the presentation is exquisite, just like Morimoto's presentation on TV. We also had a very nice waiter who patiently walked us through the menu and answered all our questions.Special Features:
- MichelleDined on 9/11/2014My boyfriend and I had a great evening seated in the outdoor area. We have a boat in the harbor and this was an ideal place to have a romantic dinner and view the harbor. The food was excellent!! Also, the waiter was quite attentive and very helpful with our choices. Thanks for an awesome evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the tripCocoDined on 9/10/2014On my 50th birthday trip to Hawai'i - I knew that Morimoto's was going to be my "special" lunch. I was not disappointed. The staff was amazing, the chefs very friendly and the food - simply amazing. I highly recommend a flight of sake to accompany your meal. My server was very knowledgeable about each one and his pairing suggestions were spot on.Special Features:
- I'll always be backKekoaVIPDined on 9/10/2014Regardless what others are saying, believe in what you guys are doing! This is my 120 visits over the 5 years and you guys are doing great this is why I return. The pretentious table next to me would find all the things wrong about every dish that comes out of the kitchen as if they are a food critic. The funny thing is these salvage ate everything. Ha!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- juppeats3.5starjuppeatsVIPDined on 9/9/2014Went for a later in the evening dinner. Seated at booth in which table edge bit too far away to comfortably eat without leaning up to the table. Took a long while for our server to greet and interact with us even though place wasn't that busy. When he did he was nicely engaging. Ordered the house salad with a dried bonito shaving which was more than enough for two people and nicely dressed. Would have loved more shavings. Then had braised black cod which was delicious. Side of bok choy very bland and a disappointment. Dress code overstated since saw other diners in shorts and tees.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehBigPDined on 9/8/2014We ate ate Morimoto for our last night in Waikiki. I was underwhelmed across the board. We made a reservation and then sat without explanation for 10 minutes even though the restaurant was slow. The hostess came up and noted that we'd be seated soon. The table was half in florescent lighting and against a dirty wall. We ordered a drink at the bar, tipped the bartender and then was told at the table that he was out of the Pinot Nior we had ordered and that the replacement option was $25 a glass. The mood was sour and we ate quickly and got out of there. I was disappointed because I picked the spot and instead of a great last meal on vaca we felt like we'd splurged for nothing. Won't be back again and wouldn't recommend. The sushi was good.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014service could be a little better, waited awhile to receive our check, while waiters were transitioning on break; did not like the two-seaters for couples, all couples are lined up in a crowded area of two-seaters while the tables of 4-8 were open and spacious. the two-seaters are seated way too close to each other, there should be more privacy, or it should be separated by a 4 seater table. otherwise, food is fantastic.Special Features:
- RoninFtLauderdaleVIPDined on 9/5/2014Fantastic. Best sushi I had in a long time. Chef was incredible. Service was great. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Morimoto WaikikiPhlGrlVIPDined on 9/2/2014Sushi was good and very fresh, wagyu beef was also delicious, and the dessert was worth saving room for :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentNFlageyDined on 9/2/2014This was not our first time at Morimoto's but this time was a great disappointment. The sushi combo plate tasted as it came to our table after spending hours in a fridge rather than being freshly prepared. The angry chicken was undercooked. Service was much poorer than the one we experienced last year (cocktail glasses were put on the edge of the table rather than in front of us). Also had the surprise to have a 18% gratuity included on our bill, while we were a table of 4. We were told this was for out-of-state customers, not used with the tipping habits here. However, other restaurants in Hawaii or other states do not *include* the gratuity and rather suggest amounts. Also ... we are from HI.
- WOW81buckeye59Dined on 9/1/2014Talk about a restaurant that has it all. Tasting menu excellant as well as the regular menu, Great for our anniversary in Honolulu this is the place to eat , missed meeting him at the restaurant as he was there in the morningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great flavor, but large portionsPalisadePalDined on 8/31/2014Excellent food, but the portions were much too large. I ordered the snapper and could hardly eat half of it, following the gyoza appetizer. Gyoza needed a bit more flavor - the tomato sauce was underplayed. Service was top-notch and I thoroughly enjoyed celebrating my birthday at Morimoto Waikiki. Absolutely beautiful sunset from the deck!Special Features:
- Exceptionallulu808Dined on 8/30/2014The experience was orchestrated perfectly! Like an orchestra in your mouth, that is how the flavors played out in your mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surely the best food on Oahu?GyleseyDined on 8/26/2014Had the degustation with matching wines/sakes and it was superb. The foie gras custard was up there with the best dishes I've ever had. Umami central.Special Features:
- Great presentation low on tasteMoviedinerDined on 8/23/2014The restaurant is beautiful in a white pallet. We arrived at 7pm on a Sat.,it was not busy. Restaurant was almost empty, we were set at a small table for 2 between 2 other couples. It was very loud and hard to have a conversation . I had the oysters, presented beautifully and tasted like oysters with teriyaki sauce, just okay. My wife had gyoza that was the highlight of the entire meal. I never thought a tomato sauce would go well with this but it was excellent. Entrees, black cod and crispy fried fish. Presentation excellent. The black cod,glazed with a sweet soy glaze, good but over powering. The crispy fish was presented beautifully but lacking in flavor. It was served with a tofu sauce that was bland. Overall the meal was disappointing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/23/2014Food was overthought and under executed. Stick to the sushi; everything else will surely disappoint!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceDerrickDined on 8/22/2014Wonderful experience; everyone enjoyed the food, the service, and the total experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Omakase all the wayLibvonhasDined on 8/21/2014Always wanted to do Omakase, but every time. Was out with friends they chickened out. I had a friend in town from NYC and so we each did the Omakase. It was so much food! You think 7 courses of sushi and other small things doesn't sound like a lot, but we had to take dessert to go! Overall the food was dynamic, well-rounded, and very good. Service was a little slow. We sat down at 7:25 and didn't get out of their until after 9:30 even with the last course packed up. So if you're going to do the Omakase, prepare to be there for 2.5-3 hoursSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinningTCkauaiDined on 8/21/2014Food was awesome ,service was great, ambience outside was pleasant .Special Features:
- PretheatreFoodieVIPDined on 8/19/2014Sushi/sashimi are good but not special enough to command high-end prices benefiting a so-called upscale restaurant. We were disappointed. Unlikely to patronize again.
- Outstanding Food Service FairUnhappyVIPDined on 8/15/2014The food was OUTSTANDING like always, but the service was less then fair. We let our sever know 2 member of my family could not eat melons or mango's and they served the (but replaced it) once we told them again. I told them my wife did not heat spicy foods and all the sushi and shrimp came out wasabe or a spicy sauce.Special Features:
- Morimoto DeliversEatchago1Dined on 8/14/2014Great Food and yes the bill came out to $250 per person after tip, but we had drinks, a bottle of 2007 Rhone Red and multiple courses of the pricier items. We included Toro Nigiri, oysters which drove our price up. If you wanted the experience at half the price you can order the chefs menu for $120 each, and a bottle of a more reasonable red. The Drinks were absolutely amazing, and the bartenders were Freindly and knowledgable about the food. We had the mai-tai and the Lychee Breeze. Overall it surpassed all expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticfoodfanVIPDined on 8/13/2014Amazing food. View of harbor nice. Service could be more attentive. Ask for table away from speakers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food to saltyLimon52Dined on 8/10/2014I was expecting to be more like something we never experience before
- Modern Japanese DiningAussieLoveToEatDined on 8/9/2014The chef applies quality ingredients into a modern Japanese cuisine which allows diners to experience and enjoy. We enjoy the natural taste of the foods that can mostly come from Japanese cuisine. It was enjoyable and we returned a few days later. The tuna tartar was unique, the sushi set was really nice with little rice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Japanese food is very splendid.DaisukeDined on 8/9/2014The Japanese food is very splendid. However, the taste that meat dishes and the dessert do not match a Japanese. I do not recommend it other than Japanese food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/5/2014Excellent food. Knowledgeable, friendly and professional service. Had such a great dinner, had to come back the next day for lunch! Don't hesitate- go!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A shining light in OahuLishmelbDined on 8/3/2014A thoroughly enjoyable experience. The food is exceptional. The presentation is interesting & the quality of produce lovely. We asked We asked the waiter for suggestions & they suited our palates to a tee.coming from Australia we are not used to American style portions so he suggested ordering the few things & then seeing if we still required more.A perfect evening.Only criticism early in the evening the noise level was quite high perhaps the acoustics of the space bounced the music & the larger groups noise.In saying that, it wasn't awful. The music didn't seem to match the restaurant. If you are looking for a lovely night out, this is where you should go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food/Lack luster waiterCalifDreamingDined on 8/3/2014We were warmly greeted by the reception staff and were addressed by name from the waiter who came to take our order. After this great start, things deteriorated. This waiter was told twice that my husband is hard of hearing. Despite briefly moving closer to my husband, he never increased the volume of his voice. His descriptions of the food were brief and his energy and excitement about any of it were very low. We just expect a more energized, professional approach when in a restaurant of this caliber. The rest of the wait staff who actually delivered the food were wonderful. If the food had not been so exceptional and we were seated next to a delightful couple, the evening would have been ruined.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- email@example.comDined on 8/3/2014I go to Morimoto mainly for the "cadre" ie. the setting...The food is very OK, the wine list is mediocre to awful, the sake choices are arrogant (all Morimoto's selections)...the ambience is quite good, the service is trying very hard although not so well trained. But overall it has to be one of the top three sites to eat at any time of the day or week!Special Features:
- Terrible experienceTravelfoodieVIPDined on 8/1/2014The restaurant was very loud, so loud that the waitress had trouble hearing us place our order & as a result missed one of the items we ordered. Then the waitress lost my credit card and asked for my cc number so she could charge me. I asked to speak with the manager. The manager was rude & did not offer to comp our meal. I had to ask 3 times & only then did the manager agree to take care of our bill. The manager rolled her eyes at me & stormed away from our table. I will never go back to the restaurant.Special Features:
- Nice ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/30/2014As per my other reviews, my wife and I are fans of the Morimoto kitchen - having experienced the ones from Maui, Philadelphia and New York we have to higlight that Honolulu's restaurant meet the Morimoto's standards. Restaurant is nicely decorated and food is excellent. Of course you come to pay the Morimoto premium, but overall you won't regret it!
- Expected moreHoped4moreDined on 7/30/2014While the food was very good and lived up to the resturaunts namesake, the sevruce from the main waiter spoiled the experience. He was knowledgeable but we struggled to get his attention and were left waiting for long periods and with an empty table many times. He even made some off putting personal comments about his shift that had no place with guests . Nothing close to the attention you would expect from a high end resturaunt. I never mind paying for a great resturaunt if the service is just as good. Unfortunately, this is a good example of how poor service will be what we remember - not the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RaulVIPDined on 7/27/2014Great setting at the Modern Hotel. The outdoor terrace with a view of the Marina and fire place under a large tent it's very cozy. The decoration of the restaurant it's very hip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.