1775 Ala Moana Boulevard
Honolulu, HI 96815Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.morimotowaikiki.com/
- Phone: 8089435900x
- Hours of Operation:
Sushi Bar and Bar 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Masaharu Morimoto
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wine
- Catering: Semi Private Dining Room avaialble that seats up to 20 guests as well as a semi private cabana that seats up to 10 guests.
- Special Events: Please call for more information.
- Cross Street: Hobron
- Public Transit: Morimoto Waikiki is on the Red Line for the Honolulu Trolley, exit Discovery Bay. If taking TheBus, the following lines are avaiable 8, 19,20,23,24,42 and E, The Country Express.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Complimentary Valet Parking is available at The Modern Honolulu which is located on Hobron Lane in between Ala Moana Blvd and Holomoana Street.
A word from Morimoto Waikiki
Morimoto's contemporary Japanese menu infuses traditional dishes with Western ingredients and preparation techniques. His seasonal and ever-changing selection of raw fish preparations will feature the best seafood that the Hawaiian waters have to offer as well as locally grown fruits and vegetables from supporting farmers. Morimoto's signature offerings include Toro Tartare, presented in a shallow wooden tray with condiments including Osetra Caviar, crème frâiche, wasabi, avocado, shiso leaf and dashi-soy and Tuna Pizza made with raw tuna, anchovy aioli and jalapeno as well as Morimoto Sashimi, a terrine of seared toro, smoked salmon, barbequed eel, tuna and hamachi served with five different sauces in pipettes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Morimoto Waikiki - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
Morimoto Waikiki reviews from OpenTable diners
158 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (116)special occasion (112)great for outdoor dining (79)scenic view (78)good for groups (55)romantic (55)hot spot (40)great for lunch (34)neighborhood gem (22)notable wine list (18)vibrant bar scene (16)kid-friendly (14)great for brunch (13)late-night find (7)Show More
- Wonder dinningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/13/2014This is the second time I've eaten at Morimoto's and just gets better, staff knowable, friendly and fun. Amazing food and great wine list. Not cheap but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good.MichelleDined on 10/11/2014Having been to other Morimoto restaurants, I was little disappointed by this one. Actual menu items were a bit different from what was listed on the menu. That being said, the food was still generally delicious. I'd suggest checking out another Morimoto restaurant, however, to get a better experience and more delicious flavours.Special Features:
- Awesome Authentic Sushilived26yrsinTyoDined on 10/11/2014Morimoto has got to be the best place to get authentic sushi in Honolulu as the ingredients are direct from Japan. We had Okano-san, who was from Japan as our sushi chef and he did a wonderful job of keeping us fed.!Special Features:
- Imaginative and well donePWSolvangDined on 10/8/2014This was our first time at Morimoto (any location) and we were thinking that the fame and attention of the name might not translate to the plate. Wrong. This was a thrilling dining experience. The rolls were well-priced and fresh, but the highlights were an amazing tofu, made at the table (literally) and a beautiful, fresh Bagna Cauda, something we did not expect to see here. The whole crispy fish (Branzino) was exceptional as well. Although the wine list was rather dull (we have rather high expectations....), the service was exceptional. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbKalenaDined on 10/4/2014I hosted two my team members and they were very impressed with the food and service. Thanks to the restaurant for everything. Great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BEST of the BESTCUD3VIPDined on 10/3/2014Moved from the restaurant world, NYC to Oahu three years ago. Worked as a wine educator in NYC for over 30 years so food and restaurants were one of our passions. Had two dinners at Morimoto in Maui for our 45th wedding anniversary and was overwhelmed. But the experience my wife and I had at Morimoto Waikiki surpassed anything we could imagine. Been to all of the top Oahu restaurants and we can easily say that Morimoto is # 1. Great bar scene with highly creative drinks. Ryan was our waiter on the lanai which was so romantic. He and the entire staff worked as a well oiled team. Super wine list with some exciting choices under $80. The menu is complex and we basically ordered all small plates. Go and be titilated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of WaikikiOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/3/2014We've been going to Morimotos since the first day they opened and they continue to improve. This is a wonderful setting near the yacht harbor and many tables have a view. The food is creative, the ingredients fresh and everything well prepared. We usually have good service but our waiter this time was outstanding --- he knew the menu very well, understood how to course the food and provided us with a leisurely, great dining experience -- this is my top choice in Waikiki and Honolulu.Special Features:
- Had high expectations, disappointedCafaDined on 10/2/2014For a restaurant that prides itself on quality food, we were disappointed. Of the selection of sashimi, sushi, appetisers and entrees, we selected 8 dishes to share as a couple and only one of these we thought was worth the money. The sushi was fantastic, very fresh and well prepared. However the other dishes were nothing out of the ordinary, very average. I would say that they charge double what the meal is worth. The smoked salmon sashimi was very dull and flavourless, and the tempura prawns 2-ways was too heavy and greasy, with a ranch sauce that didn't need to be there. Overall, for a birthday dinner with my partner this was a disappointing end to what was a great day up until then. Service was great and Duane did a great job.Special Features:
- Great DinnerSailorBlueDined on 9/28/2014We celebrated Morimoto Waikiki's 4th anniversary Sunday night with a sumptuous spread of pupus that included waygu carpaccio, pork gyoza, yellowtail pastrami, hamaci taco and, of couse, some sushi. All the dishes were fantastic in presentation, taste and pace of service. The staff was attentive, friendly and knowledgable without being intrusive. Overall, it was the great evening I have come to expect from Morimoto's.Special Features:
- Never fails to impressReeceVIPDined on 9/28/2014Tried the Seafood Toban Yaki. VERY spicy. The offer it in mild which I probably should have done.Special Features:
- EnonymousDined on 9/26/2014Outstanding dining experience in all respects. Waiter, service, and food were exceptional.Special Features:
- amazing!2foodiesDined on 9/24/2014This is hands down the best dinner I have ever eaten! The food is not only incredible but everything is presented in such a beautiful way. Each course was a piece of art! Our service was outstanding. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently excellent food/servicebobatthebeachVIPDined on 9/20/2014we have eaten several times for breakfast, lunch and dinner and it never disappoints- the food is always spot-on.Special Features:
- melt in your mouth sushiluvvinoDined on 9/19/2014Morimoto has done it again. First in Delhi at Wasabi and now here. The decor, staff and food selection are a par above the rest. Our waiter Duane did a great job in explaining the specials, favorites and unique items on the menu. A must have is the Kakuni which was an out of this world braided pork. The cocktails were fresh, delicious and quickly served. Last but not least we enjoyed melt in your mouth sashimi sampler that tasted as magnificently as it was presented. If you are looking for fresh and delicious sushi & Japanese food this is your place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food - excellent serviceEatingouttonightDined on 9/18/2014My wife and I went with another couple. The waiter recommended we choose several dishes and share family style. We had 6 dishes total and all were very nicely prepared, presented and most of all delicious. The waiter was excellent, attentive but not over bearing. Would recommend to others visiting Honolulu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServicelovefoodDined on 9/15/2014Not the first time eating here. We really enjoyed the food and service. Some of the entrees are puzzling to think that it would taste good, but they are all great, which is why he is an iron chef. We did family style dining. This allowed us to get a variety of dishes.Special Features:
- Wonderful Lunchvols94Dined on 9/15/2014Went for lunch while on vacation in Honolulu. Open concept and the food was excellent. We tried a variety of items including dessert. What we expected from an Iron Chef's restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well done guysKekoaVIPDined on 9/15/2014Another night of perfection! For service to food to everything Mahalo allSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A meal of qualityNancyVAVIPDined on 9/11/2014We celebrated our wedding anniversary at Morimoto's and couldn't have been more pleased. We used to watch the Japanese reruns of Iron Chef and Morimoto was always our favorite. The white fish carappacio, the sushi and dessert were of high quality and you can tell that the kitchen pays a lot of attention to detail as the presentation is exquisite, just like Morimoto's presentation on TV. We also had a very nice waiter who patiently walked us through the menu and answered all our questions.Special Features:
- MichelleDined on 9/11/2014My boyfriend and I had a great evening seated in the outdoor area. We have a boat in the harbor and this was an ideal place to have a romantic dinner and view the harbor. The food was excellent!! Also, the waiter was quite attentive and very helpful with our choices. Thanks for an awesome evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the tripCocoDined on 9/10/2014On my 50th birthday trip to Hawai'i - I knew that Morimoto's was going to be my "special" lunch. I was not disappointed. The staff was amazing, the chefs very friendly and the food - simply amazing. I highly recommend a flight of sake to accompany your meal. My server was very knowledgeable about each one and his pairing suggestions were spot on.Special Features:
- I'll always be backKekoaVIPDined on 9/10/2014Regardless what others are saying, believe in what you guys are doing! This is my 120 visits over the 5 years and you guys are doing great this is why I return. The pretentious table next to me would find all the things wrong about every dish that comes out of the kitchen as if they are a food critic. The funny thing is these salvage ate everything. Ha!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- juppeats3.5starjuppeatsVIPDined on 9/9/2014Went for a later in the evening dinner. Seated at booth in which table edge bit too far away to comfortably eat without leaning up to the table. Took a long while for our server to greet and interact with us even though place wasn't that busy. When he did he was nicely engaging. Ordered the house salad with a dried bonito shaving which was more than enough for two people and nicely dressed. Would have loved more shavings. Then had braised black cod which was delicious. Side of bok choy very bland and a disappointment. Dress code overstated since saw other diners in shorts and tees.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehBigPVIPDined on 9/8/2014We ate ate Morimoto for our last night in Waikiki. I was underwhelmed across the board. We made a reservation and then sat without explanation for 10 minutes even though the restaurant was slow. The hostess came up and noted that we'd be seated soon. The table was half in florescent lighting and against a dirty wall. We ordered a drink at the bar, tipped the bartender and then was told at the table that he was out of the Pinot Nior we had ordered and that the replacement option was $25 a glass. The mood was sour and we ate quickly and got out of there. I was disappointed because I picked the spot and instead of a great last meal on vaca we felt like we'd splurged for nothing. Won't be back again and wouldn't recommend. The sushi was good.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014service could be a little better, waited awhile to receive our check, while waiters were transitioning on break; did not like the two-seaters for couples, all couples are lined up in a crowded area of two-seaters while the tables of 4-8 were open and spacious. the two-seaters are seated way too close to each other, there should be more privacy, or it should be separated by a 4 seater table. otherwise, food is fantastic.Special Features:
- RoninFtLauderdaleVIPDined on 9/5/2014Fantastic. Best sushi I had in a long time. Chef was incredible. Service was great. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Morimoto WaikikiPhlGrlVIPDined on 9/2/2014Sushi was good and very fresh, wagyu beef was also delicious, and the dessert was worth saving room for :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentNFlageyDined on 9/2/2014This was not our first time at Morimoto's but this time was a great disappointment. The sushi combo plate tasted as it came to our table after spending hours in a fridge rather than being freshly prepared. The angry chicken was undercooked. Service was much poorer than the one we experienced last year (cocktail glasses were put on the edge of the table rather than in front of us). Also had the surprise to have a 18% gratuity included on our bill, while we were a table of 4. We were told this was for out-of-state customers, not used with the tipping habits here. However, other restaurants in Hawaii or other states do not *include* the gratuity and rather suggest amounts. Also ... we are from HI.
- WOW81buckeye59Dined on 9/1/2014Talk about a restaurant that has it all. Tasting menu excellant as well as the regular menu, Great for our anniversary in Honolulu this is the place to eat , missed meeting him at the restaurant as he was there in the morningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great flavor, but large portionsPalisadePalDined on 8/31/2014Excellent food, but the portions were much too large. I ordered the snapper and could hardly eat half of it, following the gyoza appetizer. Gyoza needed a bit more flavor - the tomato sauce was underplayed. Service was top-notch and I thoroughly enjoyed celebrating my birthday at Morimoto Waikiki. Absolutely beautiful sunset from the deck!Special Features:
- Exceptionallulu808Dined on 8/30/2014The experience was orchestrated perfectly! Like an orchestra in your mouth, that is how the flavors played out in your mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surely the best food on Oahu?GyleseyDined on 8/26/2014Had the degustation with matching wines/sakes and it was superb. The foie gras custard was up there with the best dishes I've ever had. Umami central.Special Features:
- Great presentation low on tasteMoviedinerDined on 8/23/2014The restaurant is beautiful in a white pallet. We arrived at 7pm on a Sat.,it was not busy. Restaurant was almost empty, we were set at a small table for 2 between 2 other couples. It was very loud and hard to have a conversation . I had the oysters, presented beautifully and tasted like oysters with teriyaki sauce, just okay. My wife had gyoza that was the highlight of the entire meal. I never thought a tomato sauce would go well with this but it was excellent. Entrees, black cod and crispy fried fish. Presentation excellent. The black cod,glazed with a sweet soy glaze, good but over powering. The crispy fish was presented beautifully but lacking in flavor. It was served with a tofu sauce that was bland. Overall the meal was disappointing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/23/2014Food was overthought and under executed. Stick to the sushi; everything else will surely disappoint!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceDerrickDined on 8/22/2014Wonderful experience; everyone enjoyed the food, the service, and the total experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Omakase all the wayLibvonhasDined on 8/21/2014Always wanted to do Omakase, but every time. Was out with friends they chickened out. I had a friend in town from NYC and so we each did the Omakase. It was so much food! You think 7 courses of sushi and other small things doesn't sound like a lot, but we had to take dessert to go! Overall the food was dynamic, well-rounded, and very good. Service was a little slow. We sat down at 7:25 and didn't get out of their until after 9:30 even with the last course packed up. So if you're going to do the Omakase, prepare to be there for 2.5-3 hoursSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinningTCkauaiDined on 8/21/2014Food was awesome ,service was great, ambience outside was pleasant .Special Features:
- PretheatreFoodieVIPDined on 8/19/2014Sushi/sashimi are good but not special enough to command high-end prices benefiting a so-called upscale restaurant. We were disappointed. Unlikely to patronize again.
- Outstanding Food Service FairUnhappyVIPDined on 8/15/2014The food was OUTSTANDING like always, but the service was less then fair. We let our sever know 2 member of my family could not eat melons or mango's and they served the (but replaced it) once we told them again. I told them my wife did not heat spicy foods and all the sushi and shrimp came out wasabe or a spicy sauce.Special Features:
- Morimoto DeliversEatchago1Dined on 8/14/2014Great Food and yes the bill came out to $250 per person after tip, but we had drinks, a bottle of 2007 Rhone Red and multiple courses of the pricier items. We included Toro Nigiri, oysters which drove our price up. If you wanted the experience at half the price you can order the chefs menu for $120 each, and a bottle of a more reasonable red. The Drinks were absolutely amazing, and the bartenders were Freindly and knowledgable about the food. We had the mai-tai and the Lychee Breeze. Overall it surpassed all expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.