1775 Ala Moana Boulevard
Honolulu, HI 96815Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.morimotowaikiki.com/
- Phone: 8089435900x
- Hours of Operation:
Sushi Bar and Bar 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Masaharu Morimoto
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wine
- Catering: Semi Private Dining Room avaialble that seats up to 20 guests as well as a semi private cabana that seats up to 10 guests.
- Special Events: Please call for more information.
- Cross Street: Hobron
- Public Transit: Morimoto Waikiki is on the Red Line for the Honolulu Trolley, exit Discovery Bay. If taking TheBus, the following lines are avaiable 8, 19,20,23,24,42 and E, The Country Express.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Complimentary Valet Parking is available at The Modern Honolulu which is located on Hobron Lane in between Ala Moana Blvd and Holomoana Street.
A word from Morimoto Waikiki
Morimoto's contemporary Japanese menu infuses traditional dishes with Western ingredients and preparation techniques. His seasonal and ever-changing selection of raw fish preparations will feature the best seafood that the Hawaiian waters have to offer as well as locally grown fruits and vegetables from supporting farmers. Morimoto's signature offerings include Toro Tartare, presented in a shallow wooden tray with condiments including Osetra Caviar, crème frâiche, wasabi, avocado, shiso leaf and dashi-soy and Tuna Pizza made with raw tuna, anchovy aioli and jalapeno as well as Morimoto Sashimi, a terrine of seared toro, smoked salmon, barbequed eel, tuna and hamachi served with five different sauces in pipettes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Morimoto Waikiki reviews from OpenTable diners
168 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (119)fit for foodies (108)scenic view (84)great for outdoor dining (80)romantic (58)good for groups (44)great for lunch (38)hot spot (29)notable wine list (18)great for brunch (18)neighborhood gem (14)kid-friendly (13)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (7)Show More
- ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014The experience was orchestrated perfectly! Like an orchestra in your mouth, that is how the flavors played out in your mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great presentation low on tasteMoviedinerDined on 8/23/2014The restaurant is beautiful in a white pallet. We arrived at 7pm on a Sat.,it was not busy. Restaurant was almost empty, we were set at a small table for 2 between 2 other couples. It was very loud and hard to have a conversation . I had the oysters, presented beautifully and tasted like oysters with teriyaki sauce, just okay. My wife had gyoza that was the highlight of the entire meal. I never thought a tomato sauce would go well with this but it was excellent. Entrees, black cod and crispy fried fish. Presentation excellent. The black cod,glazed with a sweet soy glaze, good but over powering. The crispy fish was presented beautifully but lacking in flavor. It was served with a tofu sauce that was bland. Overall the meal was disappointing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/23/2014Food was overthought and under executed. Stick to the sushi; everything else will surely disappoint!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceDerrickDined on 8/22/2014Wonderful experience; everyone enjoyed the food, the service, and the total experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Omakase all the wayLibvonhasDined on 8/21/2014Always wanted to do Omakase, but every time. Was out with friends they chickened out. I had a friend in town from NYC and so we each did the Omakase. It was so much food! You think 7 courses of sushi and other small things doesn't sound like a lot, but we had to take dessert to go! Overall the food was dynamic, well-rounded, and very good. Service was a little slow. We sat down at 7:25 and didn't get out of their until after 9:30 even with the last course packed up. So if you're going to do the Omakase, prepare to be there for 2.5-3 hoursSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinningTCkauaiDined on 8/21/2014Food was awesome ,service was great, ambience outside was pleasant .Special Features:
- PretheatreFoodieVIPDined on 8/19/2014Sushi/sashimi are good but not special enough to command high-end prices benefiting a so-called upscale restaurant. We were disappointed. Unlikely to patronize again.
- Outstanding Food Service FairUnhappyVIPDined on 8/15/2014The food was OUTSTANDING like always, but the service was less then fair. We let our sever know 2 member of my family could not eat melons or mango's and they served the (but replaced it) once we told them again. I told them my wife did not heat spicy foods and all the sushi and shrimp came out wasabe or a spicy sauce.Special Features:
- Morimoto DeliversEatchago1Dined on 8/14/2014Great Food and yes the bill came out to $250 per person after tip, but we had drinks, a bottle of 2007 Rhone Red and multiple courses of the pricier items. We included Toro Nigiri, oysters which drove our price up. If you wanted the experience at half the price you can order the chefs menu for $120 each, and a bottle of a more reasonable red. The Drinks were absolutely amazing, and the bartenders were Freindly and knowledgable about the food. We had the mai-tai and the Lychee Breeze. Overall it surpassed all expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticfoodfanVIPDined on 8/13/2014Amazing food. View of harbor nice. Service could be more attentive. Ask for table away from speakers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food to saltyLimon52Dined on 8/10/2014I was expecting to be more like something we never experience before
- Modern Japanese DiningAussieLoveToEatDined on 8/9/2014The chef applies quality ingredients into a modern Japanese cuisine which allows diners to experience and enjoy. We enjoy the natural taste of the foods that can mostly come from Japanese cuisine. It was enjoyable and we returned a few days later. The tuna tartar was unique, the sushi set was really nice with little rice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Japanese food is very splendid.DaisukeDined on 8/9/2014The Japanese food is very splendid. However, the taste that meat dishes and the dessert do not match a Japanese. I do not recommend it other than Japanese food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/5/2014Excellent food. Knowledgeable, friendly and professional service. Had such a great dinner, had to come back the next day for lunch! Don't hesitate- go!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A shining light in OahuLishmelbDined on 8/3/2014A thoroughly enjoyable experience. The food is exceptional. The presentation is interesting & the quality of produce lovely. We asked We asked the waiter for suggestions & they suited our palates to a tee.coming from Australia we are not used to American style portions so he suggested ordering the few things & then seeing if we still required more.A perfect evening.Only criticism early in the evening the noise level was quite high perhaps the acoustics of the space bounced the music & the larger groups noise.In saying that, it wasn't awful. The music didn't seem to match the restaurant. If you are looking for a lovely night out, this is where you should go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food/Lack luster waiterCalifDreamingDined on 8/3/2014We were warmly greeted by the reception staff and were addressed by name from the waiter who came to take our order. After this great start, things deteriorated. This waiter was told twice that my husband is hard of hearing. Despite briefly moving closer to my husband, he never increased the volume of his voice. His descriptions of the food were brief and his energy and excitement about any of it were very low. We just expect a more energized, professional approach when in a restaurant of this caliber. The rest of the wait staff who actually delivered the food were wonderful. If the food had not been so exceptional and we were seated next to a delightful couple, the evening would have been ruined.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- email@example.comDined on 8/3/2014I go to Morimoto mainly for the "cadre" ie. the setting...The food is very OK, the wine list is mediocre to awful, the sake choices are arrogant (all Morimoto's selections)...the ambience is quite good, the service is trying very hard although not so well trained. But overall it has to be one of the top three sites to eat at any time of the day or week!Special Features:
- Terrible experienceTravelfoodieVIPDined on 8/1/2014The restaurant was very loud, so loud that the waitress had trouble hearing us place our order & as a result missed one of the items we ordered. Then the waitress lost my credit card and asked for my cc number so she could charge me. I asked to speak with the manager. The manager was rude & did not offer to comp our meal. I had to ask 3 times & only then did the manager agree to take care of our bill. The manager rolled her eyes at me & stormed away from our table. I will never go back to the restaurant.Special Features:
- Nice ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/30/2014As per my other reviews, my wife and I are fans of the Morimoto kitchen - having experienced the ones from Maui, Philadelphia and New York we have to higlight that Honolulu's restaurant meet the Morimoto's standards. Restaurant is nicely decorated and food is excellent. Of course you come to pay the Morimoto premium, but overall you won't regret it!
- Expected moreHoped4moreDined on 7/30/2014While the food was very good and lived up to the resturaunts namesake, the sevruce from the main waiter spoiled the experience. He was knowledgeable but we struggled to get his attention and were left waiting for long periods and with an empty table many times. He even made some off putting personal comments about his shift that had no place with guests . Nothing close to the attention you would expect from a high end resturaunt. I never mind paying for a great resturaunt if the service is just as good. Unfortunately, this is a good example of how poor service will be what we remember - not the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RaulVIPDined on 7/27/2014Great setting at the Modern Hotel. The outdoor terrace with a view of the Marina and fire place under a large tent it's very cozy. The decoration of the restaurant it's very hip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at Morimoto - was a hit!STRJWDined on 7/26/2014We enjoyed everything about our dining experience at Morimoto. For the appetizer, we tried the Rock Shrimp - excellent. I had the Iron Chef Special where the fish, egg yolk etc. were cooked at the table in the 450 degree dish. It was delicious - ate it all. Wife had the calamari salad and soft shell crab maki. We were too full to eat the maki, so we took it home. We also tried the Moscow Mule cocktail - delish if you like lemongrass ginger. Portion sizes are generous. We ate in the indoor area, but plan to eat outdoor (overlooking Ala Wai Boat Harbor) next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BestwelshcakeDined on 7/26/2014Treated well from the minute we walked in. Myself, wife, 13 year old son. Less than 5 minute wait. Beautiful decor and very spacious. Impressed with the waitstaff's knowledge of the menu, and their ability to make us feel welcome. Decided to split raw octopus and cold tuna pizza appetizers. So beautiful and perfect flavors. Will never forget that octopus. Hard to decide whether to continue with appetizers or get entrees. Entrees won out. Everything perfectly executed. Again, can't overstate the quality of the staff. We each had dessert - amazing. Couldn't stop smiling through the whole meal. Would love to try their sushi. Need to find Morimotos on the mainland now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morimoto WaikikiRockstarchef59Dined on 7/26/2014If you want a special place this is a must try in Waikiki. I've tried Saki from various distilleries in Japan some unbelievably delicious . The Sushi and sashimi, are very good. pricey$$$ The waitstaff very knowledgeable, they do there homework. Crispy whole fish a must try..Special Features:
- Great EveningSuebDined on 7/21/2014We visited to celebrate my daughters 21st birthday. The waiter was friendly, knowledgeable, always there when we needed him, but never intrusive. The food was wonderful, cocktails yummy, ambiance beautiful - all made for a great celebration. I can't believe it took me so long to go there, and look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Overpriced and overratedSteveVIPDined on 7/21/2014A very pretty place located in a boutique hotel. However the food is only ok and overpriced for what you receive. Apps were ok. Sashimi salad was good. Whole Branzino was 9oz's for over $50! Nothing special. Not worth going back.Special Features:
- Flawless FindMorimotorocksDined on 7/18/2014I took my mom here for her 60th birthday. We had spectacular service - our waiter was attentive without being overbearing - he was sincere and calm - the food was perfectly portioned, prettily presented and served at the right pace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Asian FusionLebeauDined on 7/18/2014Great food. Had the chief's sashimi plate, and the variety and freshness of the selection was excellent. The wife's ahi poke and beef fillet were also excellent. Not cheap but the food is worth it. The only downside is the noise. While not overpowering it is nay a quiet little bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- iron chef, need I say more?ak34Dined on 7/16/2014Food was great. Got the soft shell crab maki among other things.. amazing. Good view of the marina. Outdoor seating can be a little toasty for an early dinner in July. The wait staff was extremely attentive and even mopped up after drink condensation rings every few mins. They are also more than happy to provide drink, dinner and dessert recommendations if asked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MahaloKymegirlDined on 7/13/2014This experience will always be remembered. The ambience is so peaceful and relaxing, the view is phenomenal, The food is to DIE for, and the service is exquisite. I never expected any service like this coming in as locals from the island. I would definitely recommend this fabulous restraurant to my friends an family. It is a bit pricey but so worth every single cent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointing!PhoenixDined on 7/8/2014The food was fresh and delicious. Service and staff is best in Hawaii. I requested for an outside seating and they actually read the special request on Open Tabel. 5 STARS all around!Special Features:
- Lovely Celebration LunchMkeDinerDined on 7/5/2014My fiance and I took my mother out for a lunch to celebrate our recent engagement. There was no better way to celebrate than to enjoy a meal at Morimoto's! It was a pleasant surprise to find out that the restaurant would validate valet parking without charge, given its neighborhood has very limited street/public parking options. The highlights of the meal were definitely the hamachi tartare, with its beautiful presentation, and we all enjoyed our entrees (pork belly, braised black cod, and ishi yaki buri bop). The tableside presentation for the buri bop was well-executed - this dish stole the show! Dessert was also tasty (we chose the peanut bombe and trio of ice creams). We will be happy to return on our next trip to the Islands!Special Features:
- OutstandinghowlingthunderDined on 7/1/2014In every way Morimoto Waikiki delivered. The sushi alone is worth it. They do offer "family style" portions in the form of Combos. Just go. Relax. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vistorfromCanadaDined on 7/1/2014As Iron Chef fans, we were quite excited about eating at Morimoto's. They were very accommodating as we had decided to walk there and arrived early. It was very quiet at lunch, service was great, food was great, but not particularly outstanding or memorable. Except for the ice cream, sherbet for dessert! 8-)Special Features:
- Racial DiscriminationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/30/2014I took my friend from Japan to the restaurant.We had such a great time before we got the bill. The server brought the bill which already included a 20% tip without asking us. The server might think we didn't know how to leave tip since we are Japanese. I live in Hawaii, but I am Japanese. I would have left a 20% tip anyway, but I feel at least he should ask before. Its so rude and an insulting example of racial discrimination. This left a very bad impression on our entire experience.Special Features:
- Amazing rice !WellTraveledDined on 6/28/2014The loco moto was awesome ! desserts to die for , most importantly the rice was out of this world. Well done Iron Chef !Special Features:
- dining experiencebirthdaygirlDined on 6/28/2014Morimoto's was fantastic. We had the 7 course meal and every course was a delight. Our waiter was terrific. Price was very high, but we dined for 2 1/2 hours. It cost us $335.00 for two people!! It's a great special occasion place.
- morifabulous!CliffDined on 6/27/2014What a wonderful meal! There were 5 of us and we all tried something different. Everything was exactly like our waiter described it. The food tasted fabulous! Service was excellent. We had a fantastic dining experience. We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and Food excellentcsfmdVIPDined on 6/25/2014We had a large group and had a nice quiet table. Our waiter was the best! Service was great from everyone. He's been there since the restaurant opened. Food was excellent and beautiful too! We had a great sushi chef prepare a large plate of assorted sashimi and sushi. The sashimi plate was decorated with the whole small fish that was used, and after we ate all the sashimi he fried the fish perfectly seasoned, crunchy; I have never had this done before in Hawaii! The foie gras chawan mushi was delicious as were the entrees. My black cod was great and my tasting of the Australian wagyu steak, whole fried fish etc superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely restaurant with a viewWhiteRose90VIPDined on 6/23/2014Excellent lunch with a view of the marina by Waikiki Beach. The cocktails were excellent too. Full valet validation provided. Will definitely return when I'm in town.Special Features: