723 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.morimotorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2154139070
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday – Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Masaharu Morimoto
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at (215) 923-2675.
A word from Morimoto
Morimoto is a cutting-edge restaurant serving contemporary Japanese cuisine. Chef Masaharu Morimoto of Iron Chef fame prepares traditional dishes with a modern flair. Reservations will be accommodated at the sushi bar or a table; both options are fabulous! Special requests are encouraged but not guaranteed; please call the restaurant to discuss your special requests well before your reservation date.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Morimoto - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Morimoto reviews from OpenTable diners
273 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (209)special occasion (206)romantic (106)hot spot (103)good for groups (56)neighborhood gem (42)great for lunch (30)notable wine list (24)late-night find (19)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (4)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Never Disappoints!ElluminatedDined on 10/18/2014I've been to Morimoto's Philly location a handful of times over the years, and each experience has been a delight. Definitely a must-experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticrk1013Dined on 10/17/2014been here before, and this never fails to disappointSpecial Features:
- Great sushi - a little sloppinessDrScottDined on 10/17/2014We had the lunch tasting menu. The meal was generally very good. Fresh and imaginative dishes. The initial courses were very slow to arrive. The restaurant was half full. The sushi course came with wasabi on the fish despite specifically asking to avoid wasabi. I do wish the dessert was chocolate based but that's just a personal preference. Waiter was very good and apologized for the lapses.Special Features:
- FABULOUSPB188Dined on 10/15/2014FROM THE MOMENT YOU ENTER MORIMOTO A UNIQUE AND FABULOUS EXPERIENCE BEGINS. THE CREATIVE DECOR MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE YOU ARE IN A SENSUAL CALMING CAPSULE. THE SERVER WAS WELL INFORMED, FRIENDLY AND ATTENTIVE. MY ONE NEGATIVE WOULD BE THAT SOMETIMES THE STAFF TRIED TO REMOVE PLATES BEFORE WE WERE FINISHED. THE FOOD WAS PREPARED AND PRESENTED IN UNIQUE AND INTERESTING WAYS AND IT WAS DELICIOUS! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE RAINBOW TROUT ENTREE, THE SMALL OYSTERS AND THE WHITE SHRIMP SUSHI. OVERALL THIS WAS A GREAT DINING EXPERIENCE BUT WITHOUT THE WHITE TABLECLOTHS AND TRADITIONAL DECOR!Special Features:
- special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/15/2014Thank you for making our special night a top notch experience. Food was excellent, service was downright courtly, yet warm. This was our second visit and it was everything we'd hoped.Special Features:
- Go iron chef!pantageticketholderDined on 10/15/2014Great selection of fish and saki! Some unique items were available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morimotos againOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/15/2014This was our fourth time dining at Morimotos over the 13 years that it has been open. Each time we have had the okase with drink pairings. The offerings have been tailored tour food allergies and sensitivities. Each time has been an excellent experience with the opportunity to appreciate new foods and different preparation. The service is attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingChef7ADined on 10/14/2014Great experience. Hardest part of the evening was deciding what to order. The Toro Tartare was amazing as was the Uni, and the seafood toban-yaki offered a great selection of fresh seafood bathed in a rich broth with a perfect portion of sticky rice. I know the review sounds a bit too glowing but it is seldom that I enjoy a restaurant meal as much as I enjoyed this. Everything was cooked and presented perfectly and the flavors were deep and rich. Can't wait to travel to the area again so I can try some other menu items.Special Features:
- Yum- Even with childrenVisitortophillyDined on 10/12/2014Went with our four and six-year-old kids. They enjoyed the steak, rock shrimp, dumplings, miso soup, and California roll. It was great that they could join our fine dining experience too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentFancypantsDined on 10/11/2014The food and service is amazing. The only downside is the restaurant is very loud and it detracts from the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Dining ExperiencecakedecDined on 10/11/2014Dining at Morimoto is not just an evening out for dinner - it is truly an experience. Each course is uniquely beautifully plated with many complex flavors. Servers explain each element of every dish. The cubicles change color. Cubicles are mostly a zig zag with tables for two on a pedestal down each side wall. The overall ambience of this restaurant is vibrant. Did I say the food was spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved ItHungrymanDined on 10/11/2014Very nice restaurant, food was outstanding. The A5 Wagu beef was unbelievable. Try this place you wont be dissapointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to expectationsKbake2Dined on 10/11/2014I went to morimoto for my birthday dinner with my mom and fiancée. None of us had been there before and were immediately impressed. Everything was impeccable, the service, food, and environment were all amazing and I can't wait to go back. Our server was very knowledgeable and happy to give recommendations, and wonderfully gifted at sharing information with is about the menu without coming off as snobby, as some higher end reataurants can seem. It was really a wonderful experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Went high end and did their special -- $130/person. I've never spent this much on food before. It was good, and I liked savoring the food, but I wish there was more continuity (and food) within the service.Special Features:
- BUGDRDined on 10/9/2014Practically every dish was exceptional. Only the scallops were pedestrian. The creative and fresh ingredients were treated with a light hand. We never had such an elegant presentation of classical Japanese cuisine. Our waiter was cordial, knowledgeable, and excellent in guiding us through an extensive and foreign menu. The wine selection is interesting. Our first wine choice was corked and he replaced it without a question. Would love to go back and try everything on the menu.Special Features:
- ExcellentLuv2dineDined on 10/9/2014Food and service were excelent. The restaurant it's self is stunning. I have been there twice and both times have been way above standard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fancy Japanese FusionBrainbobDined on 10/9/2014I was pleasantly surprised by the ambiance of the restaurant and the food. All the reviews I read had expressed exactly what we had experienced, great food, great service, and a very modern setting. The food was tasty, albeit expensive, but of course you are paying for the name behind it. The omakase was good and fresh and definitely filled me up. Would I go for a regular Japanese dinner? No. Would I go back for a special occasion? Yes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticluvgoodfoodDined on 10/7/2014We finally had the chance to get to Morimoto's! Nothing short of sensational. The food was just fabulous, the ambiance so nice. All our meals were so delicious. Can't even say one thing was better than the next because all our meals were equally delicious.Special Features:
- Not the same anymorescubadoDined on 10/6/2014We always enjoyed coming to Morimoto. Even after moving out of the city, the drive seemed worthwhile. Not so this time. We realized that the $120 assorted combo did not contain many of the delicacies we were used to. When we asked our server about the special items that the chef would include, we got a flat, “well it is the chef’s choice, so he will decide”. Earlier the server would check with the chef who would provide a wide range of specialty fishes worth the experience. The rock shrimp tempura was majorly coated in batter, hiding any taste of the shrimp. The sushi & sashimi quality was lower and lacked the flavors and spices we were used to from past experiences. Our five year-old enjoyed the trout though. In all, quite disappointing.Special Features:
- Love itWineandDineDined on 10/4/2014We were an hour late for our reservation and they were still able to seat us. Great service, great food. More than please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Look forward to the next time!balanceDined on 10/4/2014Loved the interior and food presentation. Whitefish carpaccio was absolute winner, but everything else we had ordered was delicious as well. Wasabi fried rice is addictive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotWombomDined on 10/3/2014Fun spot for dinner with friends... Trendy in a good way! Food was Fab!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/30/2014It was the first time that we have been to Morimoto's and all I can say is that it was worth the trip. We did the Omakase (Chef's tasting menu) and course after course the food was just simply amazing. There was such a well balance in all of the courses. I enjoyed the dessert the most however since I do have a bit of a sweet tooth. The green tea matcha tres leche was unforgettable! It is very tempting to just go back there for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing knivesavocatVIPDined on 9/30/2014How do they do it? I got a glimpse by arriving early on my fourth visit, to sit at the sushi bar. In the middle. The dozens of fresh fish from Tokyo fish in cool cases in front of me. And the knives of each chef moving smoothy through the elements of a perfect meal. Long white steel sharpened to molecular disappearing edges which slid through the fish where the fish was not. Quiet Japanese chatter sometimes punctuating brief down moments. Of course, the meal. Tasting menu different from my last. On purpose. By digitally enhanced memory. Flavors living in memory. Make no mistake. Some choices are expensive, but the brilliance and discipline of Chef Morimoto is here. If you think this was a once in a lifetime experience, you will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Meal for a Special OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/28/2014My finance and I could not have asked for a better dinner to celebrate our engagement. The Omakase was amazing, especially the Tuna Tartare and the Japanese Wagyu Beef. Not only were we given a complimentary glass of champagne, but we were also given a tasting appetizer from the chef and an additional complimentary dessert. We both left Morimoto agreeing that was the best meal we've had. Thanks for making it a great night!Special Features:
- You're paying for freshness onlyGooseylucyDined on 9/28/2014I was really excited to eat here, but ultimately left the restaurant broke, still hungry, and more than "fished-out." While the fish was extremely fresh, and we were served a good variety of fish...for someone who doesn't have a distinguished palate for fish, it all kind of tasted the same. I kept waiting for something other than fish, or at least something cooked to come out...or even just something more than 2 bites worth. If I went back, I would definitely NOT do the omakase. I don't think it's worth the money unless you REALLY like raw fish and are able to appreciate the difference. On the plus side, the service was great!
- Loved it!MorgiparentsDined on 9/27/2014I took my wife to Morimoto for her birthday. It was our first time dining there and it was fantastic! When we walked in, we were seated right away. The staff and service was excellent, the food was outstanding and in a great location. We had the duck and was cooked to perfection. I would definitely come again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moromoto is the best!patattyDined on 9/27/2014There is a reason Morimoto in Philly is my favorite restaurant! It never disappoints! The flavors, creativity and service are second to none!Special Features:
- AwesomejkemmererDined on 9/26/2014Had a great time celebrating birthday and anniversary. Food was outstanding.Special Features:
- LOUDDreammakerDined on 9/26/2014Interesting menu, tasty food, fun atmosphere, but way too LOUD. Saturday night at 9:00 at a table for 6 in middle of restaurant and we could not even hear our waitress. We were a exhausted by the end of our $1,000 meal from screaming at each other. Food was good though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night, great food!chefmichelleDined on 9/26/2014Food was nothing but amazing! My husband and I had the omakase!! Eight courses and oh so delicious! The quality of ingredients were showcased in every bite! I haven't been to morimoto's in twelve years, it was even more amazing now all these years later!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceBrunchDined on 9/23/2014The restaurant was spectacular. We have been to comparable restaurants in other cities and countries, however, few are comparable in terms of food, decor, and service. The restaurant is beautiful. The layout, the lighting, and the design adds to the ambiance. If you are really into food, you will have a great time. We had the omakase which was a treat. The toro tartar was spectacular. It had a great balance of melt in your mouth goodness from the high quality toro used and a bit of slight crunch. The tartar sat in a shallow bath of soy which complimented the tartar phenomenally.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/23/2014Morimoto NYC could take a few lessons from Morimoto Philly...everything was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDinnerDined on 9/20/2014This was our first visit and was really looking forward to a great experience. The food wasn't as good as expected. The noise level was extremely high. The worst part of the evening was the valet loosing our keys!Special Features:
- AmazingqueenieDined on 9/20/2014The food was absolutely delicious, beautifully presented, and superbly delivered. The staff was wonderful, very informative and willing to go over the menu in detail to clarify any questions one might have. A complimentary tasting was offered, and it was just as good as the rest of the meal. I would absolutely eat there again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to Moritmoto: OishiDrJoeDined on 9/19/2014This iconoclastic Iron Chef continues to persist with Morimoto...the best of everything...the only venue in continental US where one can savor uni from Hokkaido...what more can be said...best sushi and sake one can find outside of Japan...service and decor are exquisite...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okaySushiloversDined on 9/19/2014We ordered soup, sushi & dessert. The soup & sushi were ok but the brownie dessert was terrible. The worst part of our experience, besides the noise level, was it took nearly an hour and 20 minutes to get our entree!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Modern decor with delicately balanced food. Chefs tasting menu is the way to go for the first timer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gotta Go BackWhiteSunDined on 9/17/2014My fiance and I went for our anniversary dinner and it was delicious. We are self-proclaimed foodies and definitely enjoy good food, all in all Morimotos made us very, very happy. The service was excellent, the hostess was nice and quick to get us seated, the waiter was great and energetic, providing recommendations for taste level as well as good explanations of some of the dishes we were not so familiar with. We had the diver scallop ceviche, rock shrimp tempura, and the yosedofu appetizers which were excellent! I am a soy sauce fanatic and it was incredible there. For dinner we both ordered the Chief's Combination of sushi rolls, sushi, and sashimi and we enjoyed every single bite of decadent fish! We want to go back to have the Omakase!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2014The food and atmosphere at Morimoto are excellent. Most recently I was there and tried the Omakase, and it was fantastic. Morimoto is just a wonderful restaurant.Special Features: