723 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.morimotorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2154139070
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday – Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Masaharu Morimoto
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at (215) 923-2675.
A word from Morimoto
Morimoto is a cutting-edge restaurant serving contemporary Japanese cuisine. Chef Masaharu Morimoto of Iron Chef fame prepares traditional dishes with a modern flair. Reservations will be accommodated at the sushi bar or a table; both options are fabulous! Special requests are encouraged but not guaranteed; please call the restaurant to discuss your special requests well before your reservation date.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Morimoto - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Morimoto reviews from OpenTable diners
275 reviews since March 30 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (195)fit for foodies (194)romantic (112)hot spot (84)good for groups (56)neighborhood gem (42)great for lunch (32)notable wine list (20)late-night find (16)scenic view (6)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014When we made the reservation for 8 I had to give my credit card number because they would be charging me 25 $ per person if we missed our reservation after going I understood because they only have one table that is big enough for 8 the food was awesome we ordered the sushi and sashimi sampler and loved it they were no complaints about dinner either we did order the rock shrimp and the only complaint was to much breading not enough shrimp 4 different deserts were ordered and the only one that would not be ordered again is the Mary Jane brownie the service was very attentive and helpful all in all expensive but worth a visit :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Omakase was wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Had our 10th anniversary dinner at Morimoto and had the omakase. Every course was wonderful and they easily worked around my wife's shellfish allergy. The service was the highest quality. We had an incredible meal and a fabulous time. Great for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An annual treatjmichael79Dined on 7/25/2014My best friend and I have made it an annual tradition to celebrate her birthday with the top-tier tasting menu. The toro tartar is worth the price of admission alone! Service was top notch and the entire evening was perfectly paced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Gold StandardOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/25/2014This classic continues to set the standard on the East Coast. Although reservations can be difficult at night, lunch reservations are always available and the menu is a good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NChenDined on 7/24/2014Rather than being a selection of the freshest and most exotic finds thoughtfully personalized by the chef, the omakase was exactly the same as it has been for the last year. At $150 a person, what would be the point of coming here twice?Special Features:
- Exquisite and expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014This was easily the best meal I ever had. We got the morimoto omakase which was $150 a piece. The food was outstanding and the whole meal was well paced. My girlfriend was afraid it would be to much food for her, but somehow it was just enough for her and still left me satiated. (I eat much more than her). The price point was high but for a special occasion it was reasonable. Next time I go, I might just get some rolls and nigiri so it's more affordable. The uni was interesting and I enjoyed it. I do wish I got some fugu, but oh well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise level terribleBWpcDined on 7/23/2014Noise level terrible, bad and unengaged service. Food okay apart from the rice in the sushi.
- Great experiencemavrikariDined on 7/23/2014From the attentive service to a wonderful meal in a stylish fun restaurant, our dinner was a great experience and a highlight on our trip to Philly.Special Features:
- Sensational flavorfoodieseatDined on 7/22/2014The ambiance of the restaurant and the professional staff make dining at Morimoto a pleasure but it is the food that makes the dining experience truly unique. The fusion of flavors in the multi-course chef's choice is devine.Special Features:
- First Time GoingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/20/2014The food and the service was outstanding can't wait to go back! If you go ask for Raymond the best waiter makes you feel at home. a real class act!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/19/2014The food and cocktails were good but definitely not worth the price, and I'd choose our neighborhood sushi joint instead next timeSpecial Features:
- Iron Chef's still got it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Morimoto's signature curve ball still alive at his namesake Resty. Uni Carbonara was the hit for this foodie. The duck in the Duck Duck Duck could have been trimmed (fatty) a little better but that doesn't take away from the awesome preparation and Mandarin Oolong Reduction sauce it swam in. Altogether enjoyable and awesome experience expecially for chef-star struck foodie like myself. Yum...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!!!PhillyFoodieDined on 7/18/2014Went for my anniversary. The food and service were excellent. I recommend trying the Yosedofu (tofu) because it's something you cannot get at any Japanese restaurant. They make the tofu right at your table which was cool to see, and it was delicious. Also highly recommend trying the Matcha Tres Leches dessert...what a delicious blend of flavors! I would definitely go back for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlacetkdinerDined on 7/18/2014As soon as you walk through the door you are greeted by a friendly staff. We were seated promply and a server was with us explaining the menu. Service was great! The food was awesome!!!!Special Features:
- Delicious!MarriedAChefVIPDined on 7/16/2014Everything we ordered was great! My husband is a chef, and I am just picky; we both loved EVERYTHING! Will be going back, and trying a few more things on the menu.Special Features:
- outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/15/2014Great food waiter explained everything brought my 3 children and they also loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yum yumOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/15/2014We chose to have the Omakase and it was delicious. We had a series of dishes hot and cold. Food was nicely arranged and every bite left you wanting more and awaiting the next dish. Service was good and wait staff was on hand when needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisingDiningeiDined on 7/12/2014Since we love Japanese food, we thought Morimoto just the venue to celebrate my husband's birthday. What a disappointment. The food and presentation was mediocre at best. We do better at our neighborhood sushi joint. For the price, everything should delight the eyes and taste buds. They don't. I guess the big name and the decor design are enough to keep the place busy, but we won't be coming back.
- extraordinary foodsTikiratoDined on 7/12/2014We had the most delicious meal at Morimoto. I highly recommend the chef's tasting menu, as they offer a variety of incredibly tasty dishes from the raw sushi bar, as well as hot dishes from the kitchen. Moreover, every dish was presented beautifully. Price of the tasting menu is reasonable, as you can choose $120 or $150 option, where there are 8 dishes but the ingredients used for each option slightly differ. Staff was extremely courteous and knowledgeable. Ambiance was perfect.Special Features:
- Wonderful for celebrations3GradFamilyDined on 7/12/2014This is our third celebration at Morimito! We are always delighted. Great food and no worries about food allergies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Our meal was excellent. Hard to choose which of the many mouth watering items to choose. The appetizer sashimi was outstanding. The fois gras w/ grilled eel dish was one of the most delicious, memorable things I have had in a long time. Enjoy! Would like to come back some time and try the omikase menu.Special Features:
- Service was greatBestAuntDined on 7/10/2014Our waiter was fantastic, as was the bartender upstairs who made delicious custom martinis for us. Food is always phenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster loverFancyAtlantaDinerDined on 7/9/2014I recently dined@ Morimoto after haven't been there in years and the food was still excellent, the manager ensured that my lobster was up to my expectations and the server was friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. Still one of favorite restsurants in Philly 👍Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousSandraMDined on 7/8/2014My husband and I made a detour on our Eastern Coast trip to dine in this restaurant. Everything was fabulous - the food was divine (we had the chef's omakase), the service was superior, the ambience was good. It was a special occasion (my birthday) and the restaurant staff acknowledged it in a subtle and very appropriate way without the fuss of badly sung songs. We left the restaurant feeling well taken care of and content. I highly recommend the place.Special Features:
- MehSoossyDined on 7/7/2014My reservation was at 5. I arrived at 4:55. The restaurant was empty. I was told to wait until 5 to be seated. I ordered a sushi roll and duck duck duck. The sushi was good. The good part about it is that it was the same temperature throughout (the rice wasnt cold like in other places), aside from temperature the taste was not different from the less expensive sushi joints i frequent. The duck however was so bad, it was chewy to say the least and lacked flavor... I had to swallow each bite in 1 piece. The rice that comes with it was average. I would not go there again...Special Features:
- Great Ambienceedt1Dined on 7/4/2014The ambience is great and I would like to recommend to the ones who would like to have a nice date.Special Features:
- Best meal in PhiladelphiadabradVIPDined on 7/2/2014Everything about this place is perfect. The restaurant layout, the decor, the service and food are outstanding. Our server Ray was great. I would request him as our server if we ever return. We tried many items from all over the menu. All of them wonderful. The Japanese Wagyu was much better here, than at Barclay Prime. The Cilantro Gimlet was refeshing. The Morimto Sashimi, LiveScallop Ceviche, and tempura were the favorites of the night. If you like chocolate make sure you try the Mary Jane brownie. Fantastc meal!Special Features:
- IncrediblehotscorpiocopDined on 6/30/2014My main dish was cooked at my table. It was absolutely delicious. The experience itself was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, Knowledgable staffMcampanaDined on 6/29/2014Premium Quality dining. Versatile menu. Staff extremely adept at suiting your personal dining style and knowledgable about every item on the menu without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so happeningMommy136Dined on 6/28/2014I was expecting a more exciting scene. Restaurant is kind of dated.Special Features:
- The best foodChurchladies6Dined on 6/28/2014Morimoto is a favorite of ours for years ! My son wanted to go here for his 16 birthday so we took our family . He is now 27 ' we have come for many special occasions in our family anniversary , valentines day and graduations. My daughter iS married now and her and her husband love to dine here as well!in fact they treated us this weekend ! The sushi is like no other! Thank you Morimoto!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/27/2014We had an incredible server at the sushi bar, and had a wonderful evening all together.
- Very pleasedmetalchic88Dined on 6/27/2014My boyfriend and I had a great time at Morimoto's restaurant. I mentioned that it was my boyfriend's birthday when making the reservation and every person that we dealt with wished him a happy birthday. The waiter also made sure to explain everything to us and answered all of our questions knowledgeably. The food was outstanding! I got the tempura appetizer and I've never had better. My boyfriend got the toro tartare and couldn't stop talking about it. For our entrées I got the duck which was so tender and delicious. He got the seafood toban yaki and raved about it. For dessert we got the chocolate po de creme which came out with a little candle on the plate for his birthday! I would highly recommend this place for any special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic decor and exciting tastesNinerGirlVIPDined on 6/26/2014Very enjoyable meal with great unique choices for all. We tried every thing from Chef's specialties, to table side tofu, waygu beef, uni and assorted sushi, wow Morimoto know how to make you taste buds sing. I wish I could have met the Chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect lunchBob06Dined on 6/24/2014Arranged a business lunch at Morimoto when my favorite Buddakan was booked out for a party. I was referred here since it is owned by the same ownership group. Food was fresh and prepared perfectly. Presentation was very nice. Even though I didn't order a salad I was given one since the rest of the party had an order that included one - nice touch. Not over dressed or heavy on the ginger as in most Japanese restaurants. A bit pricey but highly recommended and you get what you pay for.Special Features:
- Fresh and DeliciousDFW24Dined on 6/23/2014Everything here was delicious - wonderful pairings of sauces to the freshest of seafood dishes. Great atmosphere for dining and entertaining.Special Features:
- Great PlaceJoshDined on 6/21/2014Was in town for the weekend and co worker informed me this restaurant was in Philadelphia. Made reservations and it was the best decision of the weekend. Awesome place!!Special Features:
- Lost in Morimoto BlissDocLevVIPDined on 6/21/2014I love Morimoto from the cool curvy woods to the mood ring lighting to the amazing food. Had Toro Tartare with Ossetra Caviar, Shrimp Tempura with spicy kochijam aioli, diver scallop carpaccio served in the shell green apple Sauce and herbs , an real Japanese Kobe beef. They sell it per oz at $50 per once well worth it. Wow! My DP had the spicy king crab broiled and we did not care for it as it was messy it was removed from check. We had the best Sushi They can execute flawlessly. We had Chocolate Pot De Creme which had custard and Caramelized bananas. We also were given a plum dessert saki to sample had floral and cherry and almond notesSpecial Features:
- Truly a dining experience!ExperteaterVIPDined on 6/21/2014My husband and I dined her on Saturday night for the first time in 2 years. We have always loved it but with busy schedules & children we haven't been able to into the city as muchh. The thing that stuck me the most was that this was truly a FINE dining experience. I had forgotten what dining was like because it feels like every restaurant these days no matter how big or small, can not bring your food fast enough and the check even faster. There are even several restaurants in the city where we actually don't order our entrees until we get out appetizers because they rush you SO much. Here, we leisurely dined for 2.5 hours with our 7pm reservation on a Saturday night. It was AWESOME!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceSeafoodieDined on 6/21/20142nd time at Morimoto's and we had another fantastic dinner! We had the sashimi and carpaccio for appetizers and the flavors were exceptional. For entrees I had the crispy rainbow trout which came as the whole fish with head-on over a tofu sauce which was cooked to perfection. My wife had surf and turf, with the surf being Hamachi ribbons in a ricardo salad which she loved. For dessert we shared the chocolate pot de creme and the yuzu meringue tart dessert, both of which offered unique flavors that stood out as much as the entrees and appetizers. I would highly recommend Morimoto's to anyone who wants a special dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.