723 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.morimotorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (215) 413-9070
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday – Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Masaharu Morimoto
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at (215) 923-2675.
A word from Morimoto
Morimoto is a cutting-edge restaurant serving contemporary Japanese cuisine. Chef Masaharu Morimoto of Iron Chef fame prepares traditional dishes with a modern flair. Reservations will be accommodated at the sushi bar or a table; both options are fabulous! Special requests are encouraged but not guaranteed; please call the restaurant to discuss your special requests well before your reservation date.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Morimoto - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Morimoto reviews from OpenTable diners
292 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (228)special occasion (227)hot spot (129)romantic (113)good for groups (63)neighborhood gem (51)notable wine list (27)great for lunch (27)late-night find (23)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (4)great for brunch (4)Show More
- i can never have sushi again...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Amazing food. The sushi was magnificent! So good in fact that i think it ruined regular sushi for me, lol. The Japanese Waygu beef was indescribable. The service was great and every person seemed very knowledgable. Drinks were smooth and hand crafted. I will be comong back as soon as I canSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestLovefoodDined on 11/22/2014You can't eat Morimoto's food, service or atmosphere! This place has it all! If you like Asian Fusion dining you have to give it a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food... Poor ServiceDisappointedinPhillyDined on 11/22/2014As always the Morimoto Kitchen creates amazing fare. Unfortunately that food was not backed up with great service. This was the third time that I have ordered the Chefs tasting menu at Morimoto and have always been impressed, however our server was less than impressed, it was like we were putting her out by ordering the most expensive thing on the menu. Its the perfect way to wreck a great mealI would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was exquisite but pretentious.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/17/2014Don't get me wrong, I loved the experience of the 8 course meal, but at a whopping $120, I expected a little more food. But the very "iron chef" like experience was beyond comparable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top SpotLaFleurVIPDined on 11/15/2014Morimoto is still one of the top dining destinations in Philly. The atmosphere is great and the food never disappoints. Service is some of the best in the city as well. We really enjoyed the Seafood Toban Yaki, Black Cod Miso, Uni Carbonara and of course the sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining at its bestPoconoanDined on 11/15/2014i watch all of the cooking shows and could not pass up an opportunity to dine at Morimoto's restaurant while in Philly. In fact, I saved up, for months, to insure i could cover the cost for the Omakase tasting menu. I was not disappointed! Every dish came with an explanation of the ingredients and preparation from, the Toro Tartare, to the Wagyu Beef. I'm saving up so that I can do it again in a few months. The experience is expensive, yet worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DougalDougalDined on 11/14/2014My Husband & I loved everything! It was my first visit. We especially enjoyed the Yosedufo - tofu made at the table . It is so different from the usual tofu. We also loved the Hamachi ponzu. Although it was expensive it was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey, but worth itMFoxDined on 11/11/2014While Iron Chef Morimoto is not always present, the staff and food always impress. This may not be the cheapest meal, but it is definitely memorable and you can obtain some items not found in many other area restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of townerBlacknTanDined on 11/11/2014Place has great ambience with its modern flair. We ordered the sushi combination platter for $85 and it was pretty small portion for priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ExperianceBigMallDined on 11/8/2014Me and my wife went to Philadelphia to buy a car and we decided to spend the weekend. We made reservations for 8:15 and from the moment we walked in the door everything was incredible. There is just nothing that wasn't above and beyond at this restaurant. No question in our mind that this is the best meal we have EVER had. We started with the whitefish carpaccio which was amazing. The flavor was like nothing we have ever had. We then had the Chefs Combination Sushi which lets the chef choose your meal for the night. Best decision ever. This is the only time I have ever had sushi that literally melts in your mouth. If you ever have the chance this place is a must try in our book.Special Features:
- Mixed ThoughtsmommycolDined on 11/8/2014The experience overall was great with top notch service. My husband and I decided on the tasting menu and drink pairing to go with it. So yes a very pricey evening out. The drinking pairing was ok. Was hoping for a little more variety, but overall satisfied. The tasting menu was very disappointing. We enjoyed our first course, however the next few courses were very similar in taste and I personally did not like what was served. Snapper soup and some kind of fish in again a soy based sauce. There was a lobster course which was out of place in the course line up. The waygu beef dish was chewy....I find that beef that is too raw and not sliced thin can be chewy...especially a fatty piece. Sushi was great and the dessert was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Queen LemonQueenLemonDined on 11/8/2014Restaurant is beautiful....service was outstanding, food was exceptional, noise level was energetic but one could easily and comfortably talk with others at their table... Lighting was perfect, there was that intimate dimly lit vibe but it was easy to see the menu and the food... A great experienceSpecial Features:
- It Rocked!BilzoDined on 11/7/2014We recommend one person getting the higher end tasting menu, and the other ordering off the menu. That way food is coming at a constant rate and it just adds to the fun. The Beef Carpaccio is not to be missed. The small bowtie pieces of Kobe beef were out of this world. My wife got the Sake flight and that was a highlight. The sushi rolls at the end seemed pedestrian, but we were totally stuffed too. This was the second Morimoto restaurant we dined at. Both experiences were fantastic. Our waiter was wonderful. He was attentive, jovial and very informed, without being a snob or my new BFF. That is rarer than the Carpaccio (groan!).Special Features:
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/7/2014I was with my son and we had Morimoto Omakase which were all great! Very nicely presented and delicious! Enjoyed so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestDEfoodieDined on 11/6/2014Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. I keep coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mark H.MarkVIPDined on 11/6/2014This is a special place. The food is amazing, and our server was so good, he made the meal even better.Special Features:
- Memorable...ht4xDined on 11/4/2014I went with my partner for dinner and we both loved it. The food was exquisite and the service was first rate. Whenever I return to Philadelphia, I will make room to pay Morimoto another visit.Special Features:
- Perfection!MoimoiDined on 11/1/2014Foodie Heaven! Food, service, drinks, ambience all 5 star! Hard to top. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- morimotomikeyDined on 10/31/2014Wonderful service and excellent food. I recommend this restaurant to every one who is looking for a great experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent sushi, God sushi ChefSkabuDined on 10/31/2014I had the tasting menue and thought everything was excellent as you would expect. The preparations were not as innovative as I expected but still very good conventional plates. The sushi at the end was among the best I have ever had.Special Features:
- Absolutely Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014My wife and I were in town for work, all the way from Kentucky! I let her pick our dinner spot, and she decided on Japenese. It was a whole lot more than what we expected. The spicy king crab was, hands down, the best appetizer one could buy. The duck was amazing! I don't know if we could put into words how good this food was. I honestly don't want to eat any where else. Try the non-alcoholic drinks, like the Pacific Rush. They're just so refreshing! This is now a bi-yearly thing for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sake flightavocatVIPDined on 10/30/2014I eat here a lot when working in Philadelphia. I have enjoyed all the creative spins on Japanese cuisine. This time I also tried to begin understanding sake better. I am learning that the flavor profiles of rice wine range as widely and differ as much as syrah differs from the lightest fume. Each dish pairs perfectly with it own match of sake. Try it at Morimoto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely TastingSlimjim288Dined on 10/30/2014My date and I decided to do the tasting menu and it was undoubtedly one of the best tastings that I have ever done. Being from New York, I truly enjoy a great meal and this definitely met my expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a bit underwhelmingTLACHDined on 10/29/2014The appetizers were great; especially the rock shrimp tempura. The Sushi rolls were very fresh as would be expected. The Curry Duck breast-that was the servers recommendation was way too salty and just not properly balanced. Also, the special scallop appetizer was not overly exciting and again felt oddly balanced with the seaweed.Special Features:
- What can I say besides AMAZING!JTCTVIPDined on 10/29/2014Took my beautiful wife, Christine to Morimoto, then to the Fleetwood Mac concert for her birthday and we were so appreciative of our entire evening. From the time we walked in to the time we left, we were treated to a great night. Our server, Sam was fantastic! He greeted us with Happy Birthday wishes and acknowledged that he was aware of our plans following dinner. He guided us through the Omakase (tasting menu) and paced our evening very well. The food was out of this world! By far, our favorite restaurant..... and Chef Morimoto's cameo appearance made the evening for us. This was our 2nd time at Morimoto and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fairly good food, very expensiveDavid1225Dined on 10/27/2014I've eaten at Morimoto's restaurants in New York (two years ago) and now in Philadelphia. Perhaps the rest of the sushi world has caught up with it, but my experience at the Philadelphia location was moderately good, but no better than a solid sushi restaurant in just about any major city on the coasts. I may be spoiled by the phenomenal sushi in Portland, Maine -- if you haven't checked out Portland's restaurant scene, you really should -- but this Morimoto's didn't live up the hype and was simply too pricey.
- Love love loveMissyDined on 10/26/2014The service was great. The restaurant was beautiful. Must go at night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Iron Chef UnchallengedEaglesfanfoodieDined on 10/26/2014You have to eat at Morimoto. No question. Get the 10 hour pork kakuni. Thank me later. From start to finish an unparalleled dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food everlynds1Dined on 10/25/2014Sushi will never be the same. It was the freshest, tastiest sushi I have ever had. We also had some delicious appetizers--the 10 hour pork "kakuni" and the wagyu dumplings. The cocktails were delicious too! Try the buruberi mojito. It was fresh and minty. The restaurant itself was beautiful, with the funky architecture and the changing colored lights. And the service was top notch. Our server assisted us with making choices on the menu and she answered our questions. The even acknowledged our anniversary. It was a great experience!Special Features:
- start with wagyu dumplings!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014The food is delicious. Presentation and ambiance ecceptional. However, i was expecting the service to be more attentive for such a high quality restaurant. Overall, i would recommend the restaurant. Be sure to order the wagyu dumplings!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second timeDoctorEDined on 10/25/2014Found Morimoto on a Friday night for a late night last minute spot. WE WENT BACK THE NEXT NIGHT.Special Features:
- Pleasant findDoctorEDined on 10/24/2014We had arrived into Philly at 11 on a Friday night not expecting much of a dining experience to be open. This place was so awesome, we went back the next night to try more of the menu. In one word: INCREDIBLE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Chef's Tasting, tho priceynicholasandsDined on 10/24/2014The chef's tasting, which we had with sake pairing, was an amazing parade of courses, each at least as good as the first, which was a fantastic tuna tartare. The sake was a perfect compliment to the dishes. This ran $235 a person, so they are quiet proud of, but not undeservingly so. When is was done, we we not stuffed. It was just the right amount at the right pace. The service staff kept a close eye to coordinate the timing.Special Features:
- Best food I've ever hadTsaltzburgDined on 10/23/2014every single thing we ordered was outstanding and our service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodBMWgirlDined on 10/22/2014My friends and I were in town for work and we wanted to dine at a restaurant that was known to have fantastic food. Needless to say, we were not disappointed. The food and service was excellent. I will definitely be back the next time I return to Philadelphia.Special Features:
- Beautiful decorbibimbaploverDined on 10/19/2014Hidden location, beautiful decor. Presentation was lovely, but more of a fusion type Japanese restaurant geared towards the general populace. Large serving of Miso soup should be shared, sashimi was fresh but enjoyed the sashimi more at Raw the next night. Nice for a special occasion. The hot tea was very weak in flavor. Service was spectacular and staff was very friendly and professional. Desserts were phenomenal. Would consider returning and ordering dishes off the menu and not the sashimi. Love the interior design, felt like we were in an aquarium.Special Features:
- Best Japanese restaurantIH1014Dined on 10/18/2014Great food and drinks! Great service! My favorite Japanese resturant in Philly for sure!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Disappoints!ElluminatedDined on 10/18/2014I've been to Morimoto's Philly location a handful of times over the years, and each experience has been a delight. Definitely a must-experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticrk1013Dined on 10/17/2014been here before, and this never fails to disappointSpecial Features:
- Great sushi - a little sloppinessDrScottDined on 10/17/2014We had the lunch tasting menu. The meal was generally very good. Fresh and imaginative dishes. The initial courses were very slow to arrive. The restaurant was half full. The sushi course came with wasabi on the fish despite specifically asking to avoid wasabi. I do wish the dessert was chocolate based but that's just a personal preference. Waiter was very good and apologized for the lapses.Special Features: