723 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.morimotorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2154139070
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday – Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Masaharu Morimoto
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at (215) 923-2675.
A word from Morimoto
Morimoto is a cutting-edge restaurant serving contemporary Japanese cuisine. Chef Masaharu Morimoto of Iron Chef fame prepares traditional dishes with a modern flair. Reservations will be accommodated at the sushi bar or a table; both options are fabulous! Special requests are encouraged but not guaranteed; please call the restaurant to discuss your special requests well before your reservation date.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Morimoto - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Morimoto reviews from OpenTable diners
279 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (205)special occasion (202)romantic (113)hot spot (82)good for groups (57)neighborhood gem (47)great for lunch (35)notable wine list (20)late-night find (16)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (5)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Iron Chef Morimoto Rocks!BighouseDined on 8/30/2014This was our first time dining here and we were excited about getting to eat in an Iron Chef's restaurant. We were not disappointed as we walked in the front door and realized how awesome the restaurant's decor was. The lights changed, the tables were intimate, and the staff was impeccable. The top thing was without a doubt the food! I got Morimoto's 8 course tasting event and I was blown away by all of the amazing dishes. My family thoroughly enjoyed all of their dishes too. GO HERE for a great atmosphere, romantic seating, and the authentic Japanese cuisine with the Iron Chef's twist.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014The Regular menu here is amazing; however, I would not recommend getting sushi rolls here. There is nothing really special about these but the price (on the high end). Everything else was amazing. I cannot complain about the food quality of the regular menu. I only wish we had left room for dessert. It sounded so good.Special Features:
- Phenominal dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014My husband and I had a wonderful experience at Morimoto's! Our dinner was worth the trip. Unfortunately far enough away that it's probably a once a year, special occasion thing for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014We visited Philly and Morimoto's was 2 blocks away from Independence Hall. Beautifully designed space surpassed by beauty of each plate of food. Each plate of the 8 course Umikase was a work of art. Took the pressure off deciding what to order, since each course was a surprise. Delightful surprise since each course was amazing. 5th course was 1/2 grilled lobster, then 6th course was Kobe beef, and 7th was sushi. This was surf & turf off the charts. Definitely one of the top 5 dining experiences I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but didn't blow me awayZingerDined on 8/26/2014This was our first visit to to Morimoto. We had a nice time and good service. Overall, our experience was great but not exceptional. The wine and beer list is very good. My husband had the omakase menu and enjoyed it. I had the artic char -- while very good, did not blow me away. I would not order it again. The rock shrimp was probably the biggest disappointment (barely tasted any shrimp, almost all batter). The rock shrimp I've had at Nobu was far, far better. I'd heard it was also great at Moriomoto, which was why I ordered it. I've also had less than stellar outings at Nobu, so maybe it was a slightly off night at Moriomoto as well. Whatever the reason, the meal didn't quite meet my expectations. We'll come back in any case.Special Features:
- Amazing.LeverettDined on 8/26/2014Did the chefs sushi tasting with a friend. Some fish - mainly the sashimi - I wouldn't order again, yet overall an amazing experience eating at my favorite Japanese old school Iron Chef. A real treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive, BUT...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/26/2014Morimoto has wide selection of fish that is not typically found in other sushi restaurants. Some are prepared in ways that I have not yet seen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014We found the service arrogant and the table decorations offensive!Special Features:
- Really goodGennaroDined on 8/23/2014Good food, perfect Service, moderate price.........Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but hands down worth it!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Morimoto was an amazing experience from the servers, staff, food all the way to the atmosphere. An overall perfect night! We got the spicy king crab appetizer, scallops with marrow, ramen soup, duck duck duck, surf and turf and received a few birthday treats too all of which were delish and so flavorful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulLuckyLewDined on 8/23/2014We ate at Morimoto while visiting recently. The Omakaze was very good, with many items that we have not tasted before. The presentations were all delightful and the service impeccable. We will return the next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Best bites I have had....pork belly divine as was the hot diver scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/21/2014Simply the best quality sushi prepared by the most talented chefs. Always satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service was phenomenalVickimillerDined on 8/21/2014The best sushi and sashimi I have ever consumed in my entire life!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingChrisBrunerDined on 8/19/2014Best sushi ever!! A must try for all sushi lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectdaawesomedawsonDined on 8/19/2014We ordered the omakase (chef's tasting menu) it was 7 courses including dessert and every single dish was exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous experienceSnowellenVIPDined on 8/18/2014Before leaving Philadelphia, we had time for lunch and chose Morimoto. We were so pleased at how delicious the food and service were. I'm very familiar with Japanese food having lived in Japan, but experienced some new dishes at Morimoto's. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great experienceLaura76Dined on 8/17/2014Dinner at Morimoto's restaurant is most than a dinner, it is an experience, very difficult to explain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food and serviceTravelingAngelDined on 8/15/2014This really is a gem of a spot in Philly for anyone seeking out great Japanese food. I went with our daughter who has lots of food allergies and the waitress was super friendly, helpful and supportive. Prices are reasonable for what you get. My ONLY complaint is that it's really loud, especially with the music turned up. Def recommend, although make sure no one's hard of hearing. ;)Special Features:
- FantasticSbrbnCoupleDined on 8/15/2014Had not been here in a few years... Took our daughter before she goes away for fall semester as a special dinner, and Morimoto did not disappoint. Carpaccio Morimoto was outstanding, as was the Ishi Yaki Bop (rice bowl). Nice to see Morimoto is still strong after all these years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good experience!Riva411Dined on 8/13/2014It was the first time for us in Morimoto. The restaurant is very nicely decorated, very modern. A bit dark. The waiter was very nice and very thoughtful. For my taste a bit too talkative. The dishware and silverware was in accordance to the decoration and level of the restaurant. Except for the chop sticks which is nice that they are wood and disposable but could find nicer ones and not get the cheapest set in the market. It would be nice that they had been covered with a paper envelop or similar. The dishes were very well presented and the waiter gave all the details about them when serving. The food was good and a very recomendable dish is the Ishi Yaki "Buri Bop". In short it's a good experience for a one time experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful presentation, unique foodluv2eatsushiDined on 8/12/2014The omikase was a treat. Each course was plated well. Most courses were quite good. The chef made sure not to duplicate anything I had had during my last visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ENJOYed itMori2Dined on 8/11/2014I thought the ambience was better than the one in NYC. It was brighter ,and, more quiet. The food also seemed better. Some of the dishes in NYC were too salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneySamFVIPDined on 8/9/2014I expected more. I was especially surprised when we received the nigiri plate with absolutely no "embellishment." Last time I tried a chef's special in a similar restaurant, the nigiri was served on a Himalayan salt block, with little pomegranate seeds sprinkled around it. (Just one example)...Special Features:
- Yummy Toban YakiBadiaDined on 8/9/2014Food was great loved the decor I'm definitely coming back ! Oh and how could I forget that service with a smile wonderful eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, expensivejomakaseDined on 8/9/2014We had an excellent meal for our 10th anniversary. Exciting and delicious food. Many items that we'd never had. Price-wise, comparable would be ~50% less on west coast, but for Philly was reasonable. Some production values seemed unnecessary. Bathrooms were funny, as the design was nice, but things were a bit broken and bedraggled, which didn't really fit with the rest of the fanciness. Quite funny when a Japanese couple came in without a reservation, and the hostess explained they could go to the lounge, where there was a full menu, but the chef's sampler menu would be unavailable. The ensuing confusion would've been really simplified if she just said "no omakase".Special Features:
- DisappointingAvalonDinerDined on 8/6/2014Been dining here for years -- has lost its luster and food went downhill. Time to get a new favorite.
- Great Anniversary DinnerHobbesDined on 8/5/2014Food and service were excellent. Definitely pricey but knew that going in. Will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tired, not wowedMGJ1Dined on 8/4/2014This was terrific when it opened. It's gotten to be a bit dull, and other Asian fusion places have emerged (granted, not as much in Philly). It was overpriced for what it served and the service was professional but cold. Needs some rethink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- won't be the last visit :)lex24Dined on 8/3/2014The food was delicious, the server was friendly, professional, and very knowledgeable in the entire menu. It was our first visit there and define won't be the last. Fantastic restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as alwaysAwesomeScottVIPDined on 8/2/2014I have to say just when I think I cant be more impressed with Morimoto they so me they really can step it up. I am just learning Sake as part of my enjoyment of food. Our server was so knowledgable and eager to assist he made our evening really special. He didnt just do the fall back of picking the highest price items which he could have but he showed us many items that we in approachable price points that were fantastic. Kudos to Morimoto yet again.Special Features:
- Trendy, high-quality sushi bardndiciccoVIPDined on 8/2/2014Best Japanese in the city. The night I went they had a 600-pound tuna, all of which (including meat scrapped from the spine, like a pulled pork) was used. The decor is very modern, and the service attentive if a little showy. Try to sit at the sushi bar if you want to learn about Japanese cuisine, although the table service is great and there are many options for groups as well as more romantic endeavors. Tons of vegetarian options too if you're so inclined.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MorimotoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014This is the best Japanese restaurant I've eaten at and definitely my favorite in Philadelphia. The sake was great also. Definitely get the foie gras.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in the city!DaveDined on 8/2/2014Always a fantastic date destination. Needed to be in and out in 40 minutes before a concert, and the server didn't skip a beat. The wasabi fried rice keeps us coming back at least once a month.
- Overpriced, Small PortionsOgiwata73Dined on 8/1/2014Wayyyy too expensive for such small portions. Borderline pretentious. Good food of course but not outstanding which is what I'd expect for paying that much. I had sushi in California for more than half the price that was much better. Overall--I am disappointed.Special Features:
- OutstandingRobynPhdDined on 8/1/2014There aren't enough superlatives! Excellent food, impeccably prepared! It was expensive but worth it. I sat at the sushi bar and enjoyed watching the rhythm of the chefs as they prepared fish after dish. The morimoto sakes were amazing. I would absolutely return! Only complaint was the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Iron Chef Delivers!Hello123Dined on 7/31/2014The food was superb. The fish was so fresh and flavored so perfectly. For the quality of the food (which you won't find anywhere else in Philadelphia), the price was VERY reasonable. It's perfect for groups as well as dates.Special Features:
- Loved itbkearnsDined on 7/28/2014The wait staff was friendly and knowledgeable, which was important as much of the menu was food and ingredients I had never had. The drinks were good and the food was even better. The diver scallops appetizer is well worth it and the surf and turf melts in your mouth. I will definitely be back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morimoto!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014I have been trying to get to Morimoto since I moved to PA .. and I'm proud to say it was worth the wait I loved everything from the ambiance service to the delectable food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2014Our meal surpassed our expectations, and our server, Raymond was delightful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.