Morimoto New York
88 10th Avenue
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $50 and over
Morimoto New York
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.morimotonyc.com/
- Phone: 2129898883
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH Monday - Friday 12:00pm - 2:30pm DINNER Sunday - Wednesday 5:30pm - 10:45pm Thursday - Saturday 5:30pm - 11:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Morimoto New York
Morimoto is the New York City interpretation of Executive Chef Masaharu Morimoto’s namesake Philadelphia restaurant that is co-owned with restaurateur Stephen Starr. Designed by world renowned architect Tadao Ando, the restaurant’s entrance features the world’s largest Japanese Noren curtain set against a massive façade of austere steel. Inside is an extraordinary open kitchen surrounded by a 24-seat sushi bar where diners can watch Morimoto and his chefs at work. On every level of the restaurant guests enjoy the elaborate menu where East meets West. Glass partitions create a private atmosphere between tables and a wall made of 17,000 spring water bottles add a touch of New York drama to this tranquil atmosphere. Guests have the option to dine on the top floor or congregate in the lower lounge for cocktails and snacks.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Morimoto New York reviews from OpenTable diners
533 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (327)fit for foodies (321)hot spot (200)romantic (173)good for groups (143)great for lunch (101)neighborhood gem (92)vibrant bar scene (67)late-night find (46)notable wine list (45)great for brunch (19)kid-friendly (16)scenic view (15)great for outdoor dining (8)Show More
- Loud, full, SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Service brought Wine before Cocktails, but the Cocktails were really good as recommended. Seasonal Sushi was very special and overlapped with the sashimi plate. Service could have recommended other plate. Morimoto is crowded and loud, but with the right choice of food you can have a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Iron chef wins again!!TeacupsugarqueenDined on 10/17/2014Every dish a masterpiece of flavor and beauty. Delighted by the decor and ladies room which is a must see ( play) even for the gentlemen!! Service like you're a star! What's not to love and admire!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatyoyoVIPDined on 10/16/2014the fatty tuna sushi is awesome. And dessert spot as well!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WORTH TO BE THE BEST SUSHI restaurant IN NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KACEDined on 10/15/2014Food was ok, not as good as expectations. Presentations were beautiful but were difficult to eat. Some of the seafood was overlooked and bland.
- Greate Place ..Must to be ThereJAGRDined on 10/13/2014This place its amazing, greate atmosphere, Food are amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Großartig / GreatAndrea50829CologneDined on 10/13/2014We had a great dinner at Morimoto! Delicious food and a fantastic styling! Next time, we will come to NYC, we will have a dinner again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and perfect ambianceFoodieDined on 10/11/2014We were a party of 7 and all of us enjoyed this restaurant. The food was excellent as was the service. in addition, it was a fun and vibrant restaurantSpecial Features:
- Amazing Food and Experiencesushilov3rDined on 10/11/2014I don't have a single negative thing to say about Morimoto. Since it was my first time, I ordered the Omakase - what a great way to experience great food! My husband ordered appetizers and an entree from the menu, and everything he ordered was great (he had the Duck, Duck, Duck as main course). The restaurant was very chic and offered a great vibe. This is a nice place for a special occasion/date. Or you can go downstairs to the bar just to have a few drinks. Our waitress was very knowledgeable of the menu/drinks, and always checked in to make sure my husband and I had everything we needed at the moment. This place is definitely a place I will be visiting again.Special Features:
- Great food and ambianceNatelaDined on 10/10/2014This restaurant has great service, amazing food, great selection of special in house cicktails, and amazing design of the space. Will definately go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morimoto a great dinner experienceRonny2diningDined on 10/10/2014Omakase is an excellent combination of flavours and smell's. To celebrate life, a full evening enjoyment.Special Features:
- Very DisappointingjeffVIPDined on 10/8/2014We eat out a lot and had always wanted to go here. I have rarely been more disappointed. The food was below average at best and basically factory prepared. We got the tasting menu and it took almost 3 hours as well. It is clearly a going through the motions place and for $500 per couple we will never return.
- ExcellentNickVIPDined on 10/6/2014Wonderful dining experience. Great service, great food and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HibiscusDined on 10/6/2014We've been to Napa, Honolulu and the New York Morimoto's and love this one the best! The ambience and food is amazing! Every food item is beautifully arranged and delicious! My husband and I both had a set lunch with rice, salad and soup included. We had the soft shelled crab sushi, which was amazing! The apple bread pudding was so so. Service was outstanding! Can't wait to return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but too assembly lineNickyVIPDined on 10/5/2014My husband and I dined here for dinner because we love morimoto's restaurants and had yet to try his NY location. While the food was superb as always, the tables were so close together that it felt awkward to talk and to get out we had to squeeze and wiggle the table to one side. Further, when I inquired about one of the sake selections, the waiter asked if I would like to try. Well, we get the bill and are blindsided by a $2 charge to "taste" it. Glad I didn't ask for any more tastings after he offered. While I will continue to frequent Morimoto's other locations, not so sure about his NY post.Special Features:
- Wonderful food, but sour endingP1ckyDined on 10/4/2014Energetic noise level but the restaurant layout allows for conversation, does not feel crowded. Hip and cool! Left with a bitter taste in our mouth as the waiter did not come back with the change for the bill, rudely. Bullying for a tip is not cool. Particularly good appetizers: Toro Tartare, spicy king crab (large portion), and the toro tuna hot stone dish. The scallop carpaccio was alright. Great sushi: the lobster special, soft-shell crab (star of the night), eel avocado roll and California roll (ok). Very good value! The entree of braised black cod was phenomenal, but not big. The desserts are creative and excellent value. Try the matcha tiramisu (game-changer) and the apple bread pudding (very big, comes with fruit salad too).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- morimotorickbassplayer1620Dined on 10/4/201410/4/14 i had not been here in about 5/6 years when i 1st did, my friend ming from blue ginger in boston recommend it and the yuzu martini... the place had fly's all over the sushi area and couldn't believe seeing them landing on food etc…. our food was way over priced they miss led me telling me how much sea urchin was thinking it was the norm for 2 pieces $32 for 2 pieces of uni? the yuzu martini was no longer on the menu….. i really look forward to returning to calif (the japanese food there is so much better). when i'm done w/ this project i'm on…3 long weeks left…... though i ate at 2 batali's rest's and they were just fine……
- Omakase OMG!marcsmVIPDined on 10/4/2014From the moment we were greeted by friendly, short-haired hostess, we felt transported. She gave us a choice of the sushi bar or a table (and told us her bar preference) and then it was all over. We watched the chefs and were duly entertained with different Omakase dishes that made us gasp in awe at the presentation and flavor. We tried about 18-20 dishes between the two of us (note: we did say we eat ANYTHING and were going to share EVERYTHING) - so at each course we got different dishes, except for the sushi platter & Amen! to that for not having to share, for each perfectly shaped fish bite was sublime. We just had twins (2 month old) and it was our first night out to celebrate bday - perfect evening for such big occasions in our lives.Special Features:
- Marvelous MorimotoKatyBBDined on 10/3/2014For a sushi enthusiast, there could not be a better choice! However, there are numerous other options as well, offering a wide range of Japanese cuisine...all of it delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itPattViDined on 10/2/2014A great culinary experience, loved everything about the place! Went on our anniversary, outstanding service, they even gave us free dessert with a sweet message for us. Needless to say the food was superb!Special Features:
- Fantastic foodAllyboyDined on 10/2/2014We had the omakase which was the best ice had in a while. The wait service was just as phenomenal as the dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somehow disappointingMacuDined on 10/2/2014This was my third visit in a long span of time, perhaps as much as 6 years, and I found it quite disappointing in terms of food. The place is still very "in" but the food has become somehow mediocre. Service is good, everything else is good, but what should matter most is not any more.Special Features:
- Invincible Morimotomab19VIPDined on 10/1/2014This was fantastic and I don't give such compliments lightly. I love seafood stews such as bouillabase, zarzuela, and cioppino. Now I also love the Japanese toban yaki. Thanks chef. The seafood was perfect and the red miso broth awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectionzachary86VIPDined on 10/1/2014The staff (from host to waiter) was so on point. Food came out in great timing for all the courses, and the atmosphere was exactly what we were looking for. Thank you to the Morimoto staff for helping me celebrate my Girlfriend's birthday. I look forward to coming back.
- Restaurant PerfectionMrCPWVIPDined on 10/1/2014You cannot find better Japanese food in NYC. From the moment you enter the doors you are seduced by a zen decor of calmness and beauty. Service staff are well trained and committed to customer service. The obvious quality of each ingredient, coupled with the masterful fusion of spices makes for a true foods experience.Special Features:
- Iron ChefEpicurianVIPDined on 10/1/2014The tasting menu, while pricy, is worth the spend. Every dish is prepared with perfection both from an aesthetic and flavor perspective with some dishes worthy of display at MOMA. While the bar doesn't hop, the cocktails, like every other thing in this eatery are prepared with care and designed to excite the taste buds.Special Features:
- Great place, keeping the edgeDKYHZCPHDined on 9/28/2014This place is great! Food, service and the restaurant it self (ambience and decor) is keeping the edge and quietly adding new great things to the menue. I am still impressed as I was the first time visitingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Edgy and deliciousLuvsfordDined on 9/27/2014The food and atmosphere is edgy and delicious! The table side tofu is unforgettable and we are repeat customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inconsistent Food, Poor serviceALamVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food here is usually delicious. I always go for the omakase dinner to get the best food at Morimoto. However, this last time I went, the food was not prepared to my usual standards. 3 of my 5 pieces of sushi were delicious. The last 2 had about 3 times too much wasabi, and were inedible. The dessert, a delicious green tea tiramisu, had too much salt on it. SALT! At no point did any of the servers ever ask how our food was, so we just had a disappointing meal and kept it to ourselves. Though there were a lot of servers, we were never offered options for refilling drinks or to order new drinks. Quite disappointing this past weekend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014I had 8 course omakase for dinner with wine paring. Each course had marvelous presentation but multiple servers who brought it out to the table was not even sure what the dish was made of. I could barely hear what they were saying. Half of the time, the server forgot to bring out the wine before the food came out. One of the servers actually came by the table with my wine, then turned around all confused. She returned later asking if I am having wine with omakase. During the whole service, they showed lack of training and confidence explaining each courses. The bathroom maintenance was out of date. I know it's been many years since the opening but they need to keep up better to represent the name "morimoto"Special Features:
- MorimotoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The food was excellent, unique and at times, unidentifiable at others, but still excellent. The service was a little lacking but that may have been due to the fact that the place was completely full. The food was pricey, but still the entire experience is definitely worth it.Special Features:
- Once in a lifetimeallicatDined on 9/26/2014My husband and I visited New York for a weekend wedding & this restaurant was at the top of our "must-do" list. It certainly didn't disappoint and we both did the Omakase menu. They happily accommodated substitutions, as I don't love clam or mackerel. Fabulous service, esquisite & artistic presentation, and one of the best meals I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/25/2014Sushi was not fresh. This placed used to be very good. Not sure what happened. Very disappointing.
- OpentableDinerVIPDined on 9/24/2014The sushi was fine, not amazing. Maybe we should try the cooked food instead. Many dishes focused more on the presentation. The decor is very nice. Good for group dinners and celebrations.Special Features:
- Great Dinner SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/24/2014Sushi and Wagyu steak were amazing. Recommend the Tuna Pizza app!Special Features:
- IrisDined on 9/24/2014We were 2 celebrating our new year dinner great place (we loved the bathroom), the food was amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/22/2014I got the omikase. The food was excellent. The service was great too. I was never wanting for anything. I tend to be a fast eater, but I was pleasantly surprised to find the service kept up with my eating pace.Special Features:
- Amazing NY experienceFoodie0609Dined on 9/21/2014At first glance it was hard to see the gem hidden behind the red curtains, but once the doors open the setup was breathtaking. We had 5 people and were set at an intimate table. Our waiter Shawn was FANTASTIC! Such a great guy with extensive knowledge of the menu. Following with the food... It was delicious! From the rock shrimp tempura to the sushi to the waygu beef everything was spot on. Definitely would recommend to anyone who wants an evening out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingBluebellDined on 9/20/2014Morimoto was exquisite dining in every way. I cannot recommend any restaurant more highly than this.Special Features:
- Dining Experiencebabs3550Dined on 9/20/2014Went with a friend to Morimoto's on Saturday, Sept. 20, 2014,and it was absolutely fabulous....everything from our Hydrangea Martini to our Spicy Tuna Rolla, Tempura Calamari Salad for appetizers and Sea Bass for entrée and Chinese Broccoli as a side dish. It was all wonderful. The service at the bar and tableside was also superb. A little pricy but, overall, I would definitely revisit this restaurant without hesitation. And, I must mention, the restrooms are quite an experience within themselves :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A dining experiencefinediningDined on 9/20/2014I very much enjoyed the dining experience! We had the Omakase eight course meal and it was fantastic. Great food, great presentation and great service. The waiters were very experienced in serving the food, explaining what you were eating and how to eat each course, also answered any questions you had, fantastic. The courses were served in the right time, not fast one right after the other, so you had time to enjoy each one. Good food, good friends should be enjoyed and shared slowly. It has been along time since I have enjoyed a dining experience, restaurants today want to rush you in & out. It is a shame fine dining has changed. I loved the whole experience!! Wish there was a Morimoto's in Houston. Thank you for the experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.