Morimoto New York
88 10th Avenue
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $50 and over
Morimoto New York
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.morimotonyc.com/
- Phone: 2129898883
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH Monday - Friday 12:00pm - 2:30pm DINNER Sunday - Wednesday 5:30pm - 10:45pm Thursday - Saturday 5:30pm - 11:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Morimoto New York
Morimoto is the New York City interpretation of Executive Chef Masaharu Morimoto’s namesake Philadelphia restaurant that is co-owned with restaurateur Stephen Starr. Designed by world renowned architect Tadao Ando, the restaurant’s entrance features the world’s largest Japanese Noren curtain set against a massive façade of austere steel. Inside is an extraordinary open kitchen surrounded by a 24-seat sushi bar where diners can watch Morimoto and his chefs at work. On every level of the restaurant guests enjoy the elaborate menu where East meets West. Glass partitions create a private atmosphere between tables and a wall made of 17,000 spring water bottles add a touch of New York drama to this tranquil atmosphere. Guests have the option to dine on the top floor or congregate in the lower lounge for cocktails and snacks.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Morimoto New York reviews from OpenTable diners
540 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (330)fit for foodies (323)hot spot (198)romantic (179)good for groups (132)great for lunch (108)neighborhood gem (89)vibrant bar scene (66)notable wine list (47)late-night find (37)great for brunch (19)kid-friendly (17)scenic view (12)great for outdoor dining (10)Show More
- Edgy and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014The food and atmosphere is edgy and delicious! The table side tofu is unforgettable and we are repeat customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014I had 8 course omakase for dinner with wine paring. Each course had marvelous presentation but multiple servers who brought it out to the table was not even sure what the dish was made of. I could barely hear what they were saying. Half of the time, the server forgot to bring out the wine before the food came out. One of the servers actually came by the table with my wine, then turned around all confused. She returned later asking if I am having wine with omakase. During the whole service, they showed lack of training and confidence explaining each courses. The bathroom maintenance was out of date. I know it's been many years since the opening but they need to keep up better to represent the name "morimoto"Special Features:
- MorimotoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The food was excellent, unique and at times, unidentifiable at others, but still excellent. The service was a little lacking but that may have been due to the fact that the place was completely full. The food was pricey, but still the entire experience is definitely worth it.Special Features:
- Once in a lifetimeallicatDined on 9/26/2014My husband and I visited New York for a weekend wedding & this restaurant was at the top of our "must-do" list. It certainly didn't disappoint and we both did the Omakase menu. They happily accommodated substitutions, as I don't love clam or mackerel. Fabulous service, esquisite & artistic presentation, and one of the best meals I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/25/2014Sushi was not fresh. This placed used to be very good. Not sure what happened. Very disappointing.
- IrisDined on 9/24/2014We were 2 celebrating our new year dinner great place (we loved the bathroom), the food was amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/22/2014I got the omikase. The food was excellent. The service was great too. I was never wanting for anything. I tend to be a fast eater, but I was pleasantly surprised to find the service kept up with my eating pace.Special Features:
- Amazing NY experienceFoodie0609Dined on 9/21/2014At first glance it was hard to see the gem hidden behind the red curtains, but once the doors open the setup was breathtaking. We had 5 people and were set at an intimate table. Our waiter Shawn was FANTASTIC! Such a great guy with extensive knowledge of the menu. Following with the food... It was delicious! From the rock shrimp tempura to the sushi to the waygu beef everything was spot on. Definitely would recommend to anyone who wants an evening out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingBluebellDined on 9/20/2014Morimoto was exquisite dining in every way. I cannot recommend any restaurant more highly than this.Special Features:
- Dining Experiencebabs3550Dined on 9/20/2014Went with a friend to Morimoto's on Saturday, Sept. 20, 2014,and it was absolutely fabulous....everything from our Hydrangea Martini to our Spicy Tuna Rolla, Tempura Calamari Salad for appetizers and Sea Bass for entrée and Chinese Broccoli as a side dish. It was all wonderful. The service at the bar and tableside was also superb. A little pricy but, overall, I would definitely revisit this restaurant without hesitation. And, I must mention, the restrooms are quite an experience within themselves :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A dining experiencefinediningDined on 9/20/2014I very much enjoyed the dining experience! We had the Omakase eight course meal and it was fantastic. Great food, great presentation and great service. The waiters were very experienced in serving the food, explaining what you were eating and how to eat each course, also answered any questions you had, fantastic. The courses were served in the right time, not fast one right after the other, so you had time to enjoy each one. Good food, good friends should be enjoyed and shared slowly. It has been along time since I have enjoyed a dining experience, restaurants today want to rush you in & out. It is a shame fine dining has changed. I loved the whole experience!! Wish there was a Morimoto's in Houston. Thank you for the experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/20/2014The food was simply incredible. The service was outstanding. The presentation was an aesthetic delight. This was a very special meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must try! Iron Chef hands down!!oinkerVIPDined on 9/19/2014What an outstanding meal. We had been to Morimoto in Philadelphia in 2005 twice in a week and were not disappointed. We were looking forward to visiting Morimoto NYC. We were again in culinary delight. The Omakase was fantastic. All at the table ordered it and were all extremely pleased. They were outstanding in accommodating my food allergies. The hostess took my list and delivered it to the chef. I also gave the list to my server, who also delivered it to the chef. I received my Omakase within the limits of my allergies, and my co-diners were treated to an amazingly different Omakase. Morimoto is a must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Main seatingskornDined on 9/17/2014Morimoto NYC is an excellent restaurant, food is incredible. Just ask to sit in main room - not the small room. Way too loud!Special Features:
- uwsdaveVIPDined on 9/14/2014We were a group of 7 for a birthday dinner and they did a good job of handling us because we had two infants and people with dietary requests. The menu is creative and the presentation of food is remarkable. We had a great experience and highly recommend Morimoto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excelent experience in Chelsea!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014This is by far the best sashimi I've ever tried! Very good experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- renatoojDined on 9/13/2014Amazing place to have dinner, excellent food and serviceSpecial Features:
- Perfect place for romantic dinningdieholicDined on 9/13/2014Perfect place for romantic dinning , for girls night-out, business meeting .Special Features:
- Exlnt!DrDialysisDined on 9/13/2014Looking for the best sushi in NYC? Morimoto will fill you up with decorative and delicious fare, with nice-sized portions. The cost was a little less than you'd expect to pay for a fancy feast in Manhattan. We approve!!Special Features:
- GreatJagaDined on 9/12/2014Food and the service are incredible, best place for Asian food in NYCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014Not cheap. But well worth the experience . Great food and ambience for any occasion.Special Features:
- MareDined on 9/9/2014Didn't like the seating arrangement and food fair to good. Service good but main course did take a while.
- The Iron Chef DeliversNYCVisitorDined on 9/7/2014A must visit for fans of Iron Chef Morimoto. His food must be experienced to understand the brilliance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails to deliver flawless!nelbeatoDined on 9/7/2014Morimoto Never fails to deliver a flawless dining experience. All our main courses were excellent, cooked to perfection, my wife enjoyed her birthday dinner a lot!Special Features:
- Fun Splurgeecsul0Dined on 9/6/2014Got the chef's tasting menu. Food presentation and service was phenomenal. Delicious. Felt like kings and queens for a night.Special Features:
- AmazingSharifDined on 9/5/2014Love the place. Food is interesting and varied and the service is very attentiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Birthday DinnerjohnDined on 9/5/2014The wasabi infused martini is the way to start your evening. We decided on the chef special, the flavors were delicately balanced and satisfying to the pallet. Our only issue was over seasoning of salt on two of the dishes. Overall the ambiance, food and service is something special that you should treat yourself too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014Ate a fantastic lunch here. Cutting edge decor, excellent sushi, and the sea bass set and seared scallops were superb. We'll be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/4/2014Having been to the napa and philly locations, aside from the architecture, this location is underwhelming--especially at this price point.Special Features:
- Amazing experienceFoodie4LifeDined on 9/2/2014From the moment we walked in it was vibrant and the smalls fantastic. I ordered the feature sashimi and tried the Barracuda. Very tasty fish. I then ordered the Sea Bass and I must say, this was THE BEST sea bass I've ever had. The server was very knowledgable and friendly and made our dinner even more engaging. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- DelectablefoiegrashaytaDined on 9/2/2014The signature cocktails were excellent. Had spicy crab appetizer and it was unbelievably good! Yellowtail was incredible too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply exquisite!Pault78504Dined on 9/1/2014The omikasa is fantastic with its multiple courses and homerun taste! The recipes are inspiring and greatly exemplify fusion cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decentmkmkDined on 9/1/2014my wife didn't like the restaurant week experience so this time we tried their regular menu and it was decent but we're pretty sure some places can offer the same quality of food at lower pricesSpecial Features:
- So go had to try lunchJBMMTLDined on 9/1/2014We enjoyed dinner so much that we had to go back for lunch to try more items on the menu.Special Features:
- Great 2nd time ExperienceSeanDined on 8/30/2014Always make it a point to stop by Morimoto at our visit in New York. Just ordered all types of sushi and it was Exceptional! Nothing like Morimoto Sushi. Always a treat for the pallet.Special Features:
- Always worth the visitJBMMTLDined on 8/29/2014Been to Morimoto resto in Philly & and twice to the one in NYC. Food is great and if you are lucky the chef is there on site.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencelovegoodfoodDined on 8/26/2014If one likes Japanese food and appreciates a beautiful surroundings, Morimoto fits the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We expected better foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/26/2014Disappointing food, tables were very close together-probably will not return
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/24/2014Morimoto is one of our favorite restaurants. This time it was a little off. Though the seasonal sashimi was exceptional, both entrees (steak and seabass) were salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LH05VIPDined on 8/23/2014wonderful, attentive service - loved our waiter Freddie and the bartender who could tell we were't that happy with a drink so he quickly replaced it with something else. Phenomenal food! this is our favorite celebration spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.