Morimoto New York
88 10th Avenue
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $50 and over
Morimoto New York
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.morimotonyc.com/
- Phone: 2129898883
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH Monday - Friday 12:00pm - 2:30pm DINNER Sunday - Wednesday 5:30pm - 10:45pm Thursday - Saturday 5:30pm - 11:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Morimoto New York
Morimoto is the New York City interpretation of Executive Chef Masaharu Morimoto’s namesake Philadelphia restaurant that is co-owned with restaurateur Stephen Starr. Designed by world renowned architect Tadao Ando, the restaurant’s entrance features the world’s largest Japanese Noren curtain set against a massive façade of austere steel. Inside is an extraordinary open kitchen surrounded by a 24-seat sushi bar where diners can watch Morimoto and his chefs at work. On every level of the restaurant guests enjoy the elaborate menu where East meets West. Glass partitions create a private atmosphere between tables and a wall made of 17,000 spring water bottles add a touch of New York drama to this tranquil atmosphere. Guests have the option to dine on the top floor or congregate in the lower lounge for cocktails and snacks.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Morimoto New York reviews from OpenTable diners
529 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (322)fit for foodies (308)hot spot (188)romantic (178)good for groups (134)great for lunch (112)neighborhood gem (85)vibrant bar scene (62)notable wine list (43)late-night find (36)great for brunch (21)kid-friendly (16)scenic view (14)great for outdoor dining (13)Show More
- Excelent experience in Chelsea!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014This is by far the best sashimi I've ever tried! Very good experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Amazing place to have dinner, excellent food and serviceSpecial Features:
- Perfect place for romantic dinningdieholicDined on 9/13/2014Perfect place for romantic dinning , for girls night-out, business meeting .Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Food and the service are incredible, best place for Asian food in NYCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014Not cheap. But well worth the experience . Great food and ambience for any occasion.Special Features:
- MareDined on 9/9/2014Didn't like the seating arrangement and food fair to good. Service good but main course did take a while.
- The Iron Chef DeliversNYCVisitorDined on 9/7/2014A must visit for fans of Iron Chef Morimoto. His food must be experienced to understand the brilliance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails to deliver flawless!nelbeatoDined on 9/7/2014Morimoto Never fails to deliver a flawless dining experience. All our main courses were excellent, cooked to perfection, my wife enjoyed her birthday dinner a lot!Special Features:
- Fun Splurgeecsul0Dined on 9/6/2014Got the chef's tasting menu. Food presentation and service was phenomenal. Delicious. Felt like kings and queens for a night.Special Features:
- AmazingSharifDined on 9/5/2014Love the place. Food is interesting and varied and the service is very attentiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Birthday DinnerjohnDined on 9/5/2014The wasabi infused martini is the way to start your evening. We decided on the chef special, the flavors were delicately balanced and satisfying to the pallet. Our only issue was over seasoning of salt on two of the dishes. Overall the ambiance, food and service is something special that you should treat yourself too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014Ate a fantastic lunch here. Cutting edge decor, excellent sushi, and the sea bass set and seared scallops were superb. We'll be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/4/2014Having been to the napa and philly locations, aside from the architecture, this location is underwhelming--especially at this price point.Special Features:
- Amazing experienceFoodie4LifeDined on 9/2/2014From the moment we walked in it was vibrant and the smalls fantastic. I ordered the feature sashimi and tried the Barracuda. Very tasty fish. I then ordered the Sea Bass and I must say, this was THE BEST sea bass I've ever had. The server was very knowledgable and friendly and made our dinner even more engaging. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- DelectablefoiegrashaytaDined on 9/2/2014The signature cocktails were excellent. Had spicy crab appetizer and it was unbelievably good! Yellowtail was incredible too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply exquisite!Pault78504Dined on 9/1/2014The omikasa is fantastic with its multiple courses and homerun taste! The recipes are inspiring and greatly exemplify fusion cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decentmkmkDined on 9/1/2014my wife didn't like the restaurant week experience so this time we tried their regular menu and it was decent but we're pretty sure some places can offer the same quality of food at lower pricesSpecial Features:
- So go had to try lunchJBMMTLDined on 9/1/2014We enjoyed dinner so much that we had to go back for lunch to try more items on the menu.Special Features:
- Great 2nd time ExperienceSeanDined on 8/30/2014Always make it a point to stop by Morimoto at our visit in New York. Just ordered all types of sushi and it was Exceptional! Nothing like Morimoto Sushi. Always a treat for the pallet.Special Features:
- Always worth the visitJBMMTLDined on 8/29/2014Been to Morimoto resto in Philly & and twice to the one in NYC. Food is great and if you are lucky the chef is there on site.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencelovegoodfoodDined on 8/26/2014If one likes Japanese food and appreciates a beautiful surroundings, Morimoto fits the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We expected better foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/26/2014Disappointing food, tables were very close together-probably will not return
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/24/2014Morimoto is one of our favorite restaurants. This time it was a little off. Though the seasonal sashimi was exceptional, both entrees (steak and seabass) were salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LH05VIPDined on 8/23/2014wonderful, attentive service - loved our waiter Freddie and the bartender who could tell we were't that happy with a drink so he quickly replaced it with something else. Phenomenal food! this is our favorite celebration spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phoned it inrfgeeDined on 8/22/2014This was our 2nd time here, and our we won't be returning. We ordered the Omakase and our waiter asked us if we wanted the "repeater" Omakase so it would be a different assortment than the last time we were there. This may have been our naivete, but shouldn't it change frequently? Our last visit was years ago! The waiter also commented that the glass of wine I ordered was dry, and asked if that was ok. I asked for a taste; he hesitated then told us he thought he could do that. We'd just ordered over $200 of food and I was ordering a wine by the glass - shouldn't a taste be no problem?! In the end most of the courses were interesting and came out at a good pace. But it felt the whole experience was sort of phoned in and not special.
- delicious10yrsandcountingDined on 8/21/2014My wife and I went for our 10 year anniversary. The staff are very accommodating as we had our own bottle of champagne. The food was absolutely amazing. We will definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow...just, wow!GreenmonkeystarDined on 8/21/2014Went with a friend for a bday dinner. We sat at the bar, which I strongly recommend if it's just two. We had the tasting menu and 3 different sakes. Really special meal but special costs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MORIMOTO ROCKS!DebMaffDined on 8/21/2014Favorites are the Toro Tartare and the Scallop Appetizer with the foam. Brilliant presentations, my compliments to the chef!!Special Features:
- don't goMaPa0814VIPDined on 8/20/2014Too spicy, it was supposed to be Japanese and not Mexican, food not good at all.
- Eat well and have funDavoDined on 8/19/2014Morimotos provided me with an exceptional meal and drinks with good value. The shrimp tempura was served in two different sauces and both were packed with flavor and cooked perfectly. The fatty tuna crudo was the perfect way to enjoy the creamy luscious texture of toro with the added bonus of flavorful and textured condiments. Service was very good with the right amount of attentiveness. The overall value of the meal was good and we left not feeling overstuffed. We will return.Special Features:
- photo-worthygelatoVIPDined on 8/19/2014I am not normally one of those people who whip out their cell phones to document each course, but at Morimoto, it was necessary. Every dish is a work of art - visually and deliciously. We had the chef's choice (9 courses, $130), and loved it.Special Features:
- Everything you'd expectbackbayfoodieVIPDined on 8/16/2014What a great restaurant, and not that expensive for NYC! Tasting menus are very pricey, but the a la carte sushi is very reasonable and fresh. Service was outstanding, and in particular, try the shrimp tempura and soft shell crab appetizers, which are large enough to share and amazing. We loved it and will be back!Special Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/15/2014Went for restaurant week and the food was great - and the service was outstanding (our waiter had told the kitchen about my wifes soy allergy, but when he saw one of the side dishes and had thought it had soy, he quickly checked back with the kitchen and had it substituted). The burger was one of the best i've ever had, and the sushi is top notch. Very vibrant scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but very expensiveNappouDined on 8/14/2014Food and particularly sushi is great but the price is very expensive for the quantity you get. Morimoto is a luxury gourmet restaurent but that doesn't mean that people going there are pigeon willing to pay anything at any price...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/14/2014Food and service were absolutely incredible. Food was creative, inventive, and super tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerswedeDined on 8/14/2014I have eaten several times at Morimoto in the past. While it seemed lagging a bit recently, this dinner was outstanding. There are several new dishes on the menu and they were supertasty and adventurous. Keep adding new dishesSpecial Features:
- JunoonVIPDined on 8/14/2014This was my second time at this famous restaurant. (The first time was 6 years ago or so...) This time, restaurant week lunch was disappointing. Sashimi was not fresh. For the restaurant of this caliber that was not a passable quality of sashimi fish. I think, also, low sodium soy sauce was not really low-sodium, but...those are just nuances. However, for the restaurant of its grandeur and reputation, things like that should not be overlooked... The service was loose, with poor timing...They did not ask me for order of dishes...Brought sashimi lunch at the end, after warm heavy dishes...I could not appreciate raw fish after heavy and fat saturated bone marrow... If this were a regular sushi joint, then this could be OK, but Morimoto...!Special Features:
- Scallop is not fresh!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/14/2014First time try Morimoto in restaurant week. My sashimi contained two thin slices of a scallop. I tried one piece, it tested so fishy, I immediately stuffed all the pickled ginger in my mouth to mask the smell. Dessert was covered by a glop of cheap testing whipped cream. What a disappointment! This is my first and the last time to Morimoto.
- Excelllent Restaurant!NYNJLADYDined on 8/14/2014This is the 2nd time I went to Morimoto. I absolutely loved my lunch. Sushi was so fresh. The meal was outstanding. Service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodNewdinerDined on 8/14/2014A group of us had lunch during restaurant week. There was a wide selection of set menus and from what we chose, the quality was uniformly excellent. Ordered some starters, of which the rock shrimp was the stand-out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.