Morimoto - Napa
610 Main Street
Napa, CA 94559Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Morimoto - Napa
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.morimotonapa.com/
- Phone: (707) 252-1600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily(Dining Room): 11:30- 2:30pm
Dinner: Daily(Dining Room): 5:00pm - 10:00pm Sun-Thurs, 5:00 - 11:00 Fri-Sat (Lounge): 5:00pm - 12:00am Sun-Thurs, 5:00-1:00am Fri-Sat
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Masaharu Morimoto
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant directly to receive more information on large groups or private events.
- Private Party Contact: Melissa Caraway 7072521600x
A word from Morimoto - Napa
Morimoto's contemporary Japanese menu infuses traditional dishes with Western ingredients and preparation techniques. His seasonal and ever-changing selection of raw fish preparations will feature the freshest seafood available as well as locally grown fruits and vegetables from supporting farmers. Morimoto's signature offerings include Toro Tartare, presented in a shallow wooden tray with condiments including crème fraîche, wasabi, avocado, nori paste, chives, crispy rice, and dashi-soy. Tuna Pizza made with raw tuna, anchovy aioli, and jalapeno; Morimoto Sashimi, a terrine of seared Toro, smoked salmon, barbequed eel, tuna and Hamachi served with five different sauces in pipettes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Morimoto - Napa - Best Restaurants in Napa ›
Morimoto - Napa reviews from OpenTable diners
331 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (248)special occasion (200)hot spot (147)good for groups (107)great for outdoor dining (100)romantic (93)notable wine list (91)vibrant bar scene (91)scenic view (82)great for lunch (67)neighborhood gem (58)late-night find (32)kid-friendly (21)great for brunch (16)Show More
- terrificFoodieGuyVIPDined on 11/24/2014Great menu, and the service was spot-on: timely, energetic, responsive, and respectful. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Specialties goodLovefoodDined on 11/22/2014The presentations of the food are great, but the taste lacks excitement. The sushi nigiri was very disappointing. It lacked flavor and for the price was not worthwhile. The specialty dishes like the Ahi appetizer, the layered fish with sauces, and the whole fish were good. The dining room is very lively and fun, but makes it very noisy. Hard to have an intimate conversation but fun for a group. This was my second visit to the restaurant and the food was not as good as the first visit over a year ago. Not sure I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingSandyDined on 11/21/2014The food was amazing. The flavor and presentation of each dish we ordered was perfect. The service was very professional and friendly. The atmosphere was exceptional. We were there for our anniversary and look forward to returning for another outstanding experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NickOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014Flavors rocked and presentaton of food was superior. Clam chowder was the best I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressiveKimiKVIPDined on 11/18/2014I brought my foodie friend here and she was impressed with the food and service! Our server and her assistants were attentive but not intrusive, they comped us a side dish because our appetizer was running late, tho it didn't seem that way. The pork gyoza were not your 'typical' Japanese fare and delicious! The hamachi tartare was off the boat! Innovative with familiar flavors made it a nice starter. We got the bento box with uni carbonara. As usual, it did NOT disappoint and even turned a 'I'm not an uni fan' into a 'Wow! I will certainly order this dish again". My friend enjoyed the shochu sampler and her tamago nigiri. She has dishes she always orders in various restaurants for comparison and this tamago made her top 5 list. The noise level got energetic but it didn't deter us from enjoying a nice conversation, photographing our dishes and just enjoying the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!ReekDined on 11/16/2014Classy and great atmosphere. Food was great and service was commendable. Would definitely return and recommend to othersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish I were richEating2LiveDined on 11/15/2014Everything we tasted at Morimoto was delicious, but extremely pricey. So we had just a few items and an excellent bottle of wine. Our server was perfectly attentive and fun. We went home with great memories but were still hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Save your money! Old fish!Wine500VIPDined on 11/15/2014The chef choice sushi combo was horrible & old! It was dry and fishy and something you would find in your neighborhood strip mall, not a high end sushi place. The waitress didn't care. The donuts were dry and just some flavorless fried dough, the dipping sauces were weird and gross! The seafood clay pot was delicious but the duck fried rice was salty and a small portion. Our bill was $186.00 for awful food! Morimoto's Philly restaurant was poorly rated so is didn't want to come here, but my husband really wanted to come thinking it would be along the caliber of Nobu....NOT! The Chef needs to better mange his restaurants & stop copying other noted Chefs & try being original. Or at least serve food worthy of what they charge! Shameful!!!
- Amazing but loudbyoshDined on 11/14/2014We celebrated my wife's birthday with another couple and enjoyed the Omakase dinner and wine pairing. The appearance, taste, variety and experience were nothing short of spectacular. The flavors, balance, colors and plating were culinary works of art. The eight course, nine if you count the palate cleanser, was perfectly paired with excellent wines. We tasted each pouring before sampling the course. After taking a bite we were amazed at how the flavors of the course opened and changed our experience with each wine. Each wine was superb upon initial tasting and just the perfect match after. Service was nicely paced, professional but warm and everything I would expect from a establishment fitting an Iron Chef. Many kudos to the staff. My only distraction during the evening was the noise level. It is very loud. Once we adjusted to the volume and began the meal, we were more than able to have a great evening. If you are seeking a quiet dinner be prepared to readjust your expectation as Morimoto - Napa is a fine dining experience you do not want to miss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi I've had to dateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014This place had awesome service and the food was fantastic. A bit noisy on a thursday night for a date night but it was okay. The food is what you come here for. Try the chirashi bowl, sashimi appetizer, and the totoro tartare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/12/2014We were hesitant to try this place--we're locals (and being in the Riverwalk area), we assumed it would be touristy. Instead, we found the atmosphere to be very laid back, and as the night wore on, it became quite the hotspot for what seemed like local professionals. Most of the items on the menu are pricey...but the best deal in the house is the sushi! It's on par with other sushi restaurants, and it's delicious. We had the salmon skin roll (very good, but you have to like that kind of thing), spicy scallop roll, avocado roll, spicy tuna roll, and some kind of prawn roll. All were very good. The massive bowl of miso soup is also delicious, as were the hamachi tacos. Service was great as well. Overall, it was a nice dinner for our group of 4. We'll definitely go back on our own and with visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown Napa gemShermanVIPDined on 11/10/2014My wife and I along with a longtime good couple friends travel to Napa, and we had decided to celebrate our friend’s husband birthday dinner. We all have the Omakase tasting menu that night and accommodation were made for one of us due to raw fish in some of the dishes by changing 2 tasting courses to something without the raw fish. Total experiences with the services to the food were excellent. The presentation and taste in each course melt in your mouth and speechless. If you are around in Napa do pay a visit, whether for lunch or dinner. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morimoto doesn't disappointCiccioDined on 11/10/2014Food is beyond outstanding. Sleek, urban feel to the restaurant, not a quiet place but this isn't the spot for quiet. Its a cool, energetic atmosphere with the best asian food I've had in awhile. The Sea urchin carbonara was so good I didn't want it to end. This spot much easier access than in NYC, so I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BmcpVIPDined on 11/9/2014One of the best meals ever!........................................Special Features:
- reviewratmanDined on 11/8/2014A great menu with many types of food. The sea food/sashimi was very fresh, unlike most generic sushi/sashimi I have had elsewhere. Disappointed with the seafood selection that consisted of small king crab and the oysters were full of shell particles. At $150.00 for that platter I feel larger king crab legs should be served along with a larger oyster other than the super small ones we got.( Please note that I am quite hard to please in this department as I am an Ex Commercial Alaskan King Crab Fisherman who now lives near Tomales Bay) The A-5 beef was superior. The noise level is too much and is the only thing that would stop me from returning., The prices are a bit..let's say inflated, ... This was my 2nd visit to Morimoto's Napa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- review of MorimotossuzyDined on 11/8/2014Well, I try to only go to really good restaurants in Seattle area where I live and when in Cal. I try to do the same. Morimoto's was by far the most outstanding in the quality and taste and presentation. It was foodie nirvana.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary lunchbaboonDined on 11/8/2014My husband and I went there for lunch for our anniversary. The lunch was amazing. Very good quality. The portions were on the smaller end and a bit expensive for lunch but it was very good. They even sent out an extra course (bone marrow) for our anniversary. The server was a bit slow and we ended up on time crunch and got up to find him. He said he was going to be send out desset but unfortunately we didn't get it BC we had reservations else where we had to get to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurantMorimotoRocksDined on 11/8/2014Good food , nice ambiance with good service. I had the Set lunch and was happy with it.Special Features:
- Not up to parPranjalVIPDined on 11/8/2014I love morimoto, but I had a disappointing experience this time. I order the red curry vegetable and it was full of cream. almost congealed. I wasnt happy with this.Special Features:
- SabreChuckDined on 11/6/2014In general it was a loud and happening place. Felt rushed through dinner. Would not recommended for quiet evenings with significant others. both glasses of wine were outdated, a shame especially in Napa. Lastly, the sushi was fair to good and we have had much better in places like Sarasota and Orlando. Over rated for the price.Special Features:
- Outstanding Experience!MoorehausDined on 11/6/2014Wouldn't change one thing about this fabulous hot spot. Excellent service, delicious cocktails, and amazing food. We had a party of four and we each chose something different so we could sample and share. Every bite was a burst of flavor. You will not be disappointed by this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pork Belly SammyLKatDined on 11/6/2014I visited Morimoto Napa with my boyfriend recently. I stuck to what I knew and what I knew would be delicious and fresh...the sushi. My boyfriend on the other hand, stuck to his southern roots and ordered the pork belly sandwich. Let me tell you, it was AMAZING. The pork belly was sweet and tangy with the right amount of crispy. The bread was soft on the inside and had just enough bite in the crust. The slaw on the sandwich was crisp and fresh and the homemade pickles on the side were just as delicious. We really enjoyed our time and our server...I couldn't have asked for a better visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulgooseganderVIPDined on 11/6/2014Just about everything was spot on during our recent visit to Morimoto's in Napa. The sushi sampler plate was wonderfully delicious as we enjoyed each dish except one. The bone marrow was great, although slightly over-cooked. The beef carpaccio was excellent. The sake and Morimoto pilsner were both quite refreshing and went well with our food selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AdventurepgallVIPDined on 11/4/2014Be ready for an adventure and study the menu before you go or trust your servers suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely wonderful!RAFoodieDined on 11/3/2014Fabulous service, & beautiful presentation of food. I had our server pick out her favorites and she did an amazing job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 11/2/2014Food was ordinary: sushi was not superb / Presentation was "good but not spectacular. Prices were extreme high. A $5 dollar for a ( one) single bit....A bit stiff!!!!Special Features:
- Amazing!BonnetDined on 11/2/2014Having lived in Japan for two years, we were overwhelmed by the presentation of our lunch for it was perfection. Our lunch choices were delicious, and had the best Miso Soup! A delightful dining experience! Cannot wait to return.Special Features:
- OutstandingBeefreshDined on 11/1/2014First rate start to finish, really top notch. It isn't cheap, but we walked away feeling that we got what we paid for. Fun and elegant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over priced skimpy portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Noise level is so high that it is difficult to converse with others. Food was very over priced and portions extremely small!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/1/2014Still an outstanding restaurant. Have had lunch there several times and have never been disappointed. Service exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorablerjfoodsnobDined on 10/30/2014A memorable dinning experience. From the prix fix tasting menu, the toro tartare, hamachi, and white chocolate coconut cream with mango sorbet and pop rocks, rocked! The tasting menu lets you experience Iron Chef Morimoto's talents!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/29/2014We really enjoyed our meal at iron chef Morimoto's restaurant. Our server was knowledgeable and made great food suggestions.Special Features:
- My first visit to MorimotoBACarrollDined on 10/28/2014We were celebrating my wife's birthday! I was excited to visit Morimoto's. Been a long time fan ever since the original iron chef. I loved his passion for food on the show. It definitely shows in his restaurant. The waitress was very knowledgeable. She described everything very well! Everything we asked she answered about the food. We started with himachi tacos, simple and fresh. Next we ordered some maki rolls and a chef's choice Chirasi. Everything was fresh and delicious! We ended the night with the smores! What a way to end the night! I have never had smores like that and I think he ruined camping for me! If you are in Napa this is a must stop! It does not disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not Morimotos bestdisappointedaftehhawaiiDined on 10/26/2014We ate at his restaurant in Oahu. The food there's great. In Napa? Just a little better than good the service was ok. A little to loud for me. For was smaller than in Hawaii, not as fresh. And priced too high. The specialty drinks were good.Special Features:
- Not what it used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/26/2014We first ate at Morimoto Waikiki right after it opened and it was excellent, the iron chef himself worked in the kitchen both nights we ate there. Then we visited Morimoto Napa about 2 years ago and it was a very good experience -- excellent food! We tried traditional and contemporary tasting menus with lots of wonderful Japanese dishes. This time, we have been very disappointed. First of all, the tasting menus have far too many "western" dishes and none of chef Morimoto's specialties such as toro tartare and similar. Sushi course was excellent with the exception of Abalone which was tough and rubbery, almost not eatable! The pork belly was just average. Fish dish was good but nothing exceptional. Maybe chef Morimoto should visit Napa to revive his restaurant. Also, both places (Napa and Waikiki) have very poor acoustics - the room is wide and open which makes it impossibly loud when the restaurant is full so any conversation is very difficult.
- So DisappointedMOSEVIPDined on 10/26/2014I love Morimoto in Iron Chef America and was so excited he was opening a restaurant in Napa. I finally got to try it and it was the most expensive meal I had the whole trip when we just had lunch and it was the most disappointing meal on the whole trip. The Toro had sinew and hamachi was chewy. Aside from that, the portions for the price were ridiulous. My wife and friend were so disappointed in almost everything that came out after the appetizers that we decided to skip dessert and go elsewhere. I now see how Morimoto had such a losing streak on the show.
- Hit and missSushiLoverVIPDined on 10/24/2014Talk about over-rated! Half the meal was delicious (rock shrimp tempura was unexpected but delicious) but surf and turf was marred by a weird sauce on the Hamachi. Sushi was over-priced and duck confit fried rice featured duck confit MIA for the most part. Wouldn't waste my time or my money going back.Special Features:
- Big PlaceAOinCentralPaDined on 10/24/2014The thing that struck me about the restaurant was how big it is, and the tables aren't very close together. Despite that the noise level in the place is very loud. Great food and fun, but not the place to go for a quiet, intimate dinner.Special Features:
- Amazing mealMikeDined on 10/23/2014Possibly the best meal we've ever had. Do the tasting menu. It's a bit speedy but worth it. Service was impeccable and the food was even better.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014This restaurant had been spoken of so highly, we were expecting a great meal. Perhaps we just orders the wrong thing, but we ordered the pork chop. It was bad. Not just ok, but bad....dry and no taste. We also weren't crazy about the spicy crab legs, but that may just be personal taste. the place bordered on being too noisy, made it difficult to carry on a conversation.