Morgan's in the Desert
Waldorf Astoria Laquinta Resort & Spa
49-499 Eisenhower Drive
La Quinta, CA 92253Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Morgan's in the Desert
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.morgansinthedesert.com/
- Phone: 7605644111x
- Hours of Operation:
Summer Hours: (Closed Tuesday & Wednesday)
Dinner: Nightly 6:00PM - 10:00 PM
Cocktails: Nightly 5:30PM - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Jimmy Schmidt
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For Catering information contact:
www.laquintaresort.com ● www.pgawest.com
- Special Events: Throughout the year we offer prix-fixe food festival menus, each highlighting a unique ingredient such as Meyer Lemon, Blue Mussels and Morel Mushrooms.
Join us for our monthly interactive wine and food dinners throughout the Spring of 2013.
A word from Morgan's in the Desert
Morgan’s in the desert, by James Beard Award winning Chef Jimmy Schmidt, welcomes guests for dinner with Contemporary American Cuisine, boutique new world wines, crafted vintage cocktails, and live entertainment. Join us at the piano bar, in the hacienda dining room or on the fire-lit courtyard. Join us for a relaxed yet refined dining or cocktail experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Morgan's in the Desert - Best Restaurants in La Quinta ›
Morgan's in the Desert reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (72)romantic (67)fit for foodies (54)notable wine list (41)great for outdoor dining (31)neighborhood gem (29)good for groups (26)vibrant bar scene (13)hot spot (12)scenic view (12)late-night find (8)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- perfect eveningeatinginthedesertDined on 10/18/2014Welcomed right from the beginning by Alessandra and Leighann...Started in the bar with Brian and Cesar. Perfectly mixed cocktails and fun, friendly guys! Had dinner outside and perfect service from every person who came to our table!!! The food was amazing. We had a taste of halibut, new York strip and filet at our table and everyone loved their entree. The experience was everything you would expect! Great team John Healy!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find...MJRMTDined on 10/18/2014Morgan's is an incredible spot in LaQuinta; well worth the drive from Palm Springs. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, as always.StephenDined on 10/15/2014Every time we go to Morgan's it's a very nice experience. Our most recent visit was no different. Food and service were both outstanding. I would heartily recommend Morgan's to anyone who asked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/12/2014Great food. Great service. Always a pleasure to eat here.Special Features:
- Top Shelf DiningORdinnerVIPDined on 10/9/2014When my wife and I find a good place we go back over and over unless disappointed . In Indian Wells on vacation from NYC for the sixth straight year and have eaten in Morgan's each year It has a terrific ambience for fine dining. We first had a cocktail outside by the fire pit and then said hello to the GM John Healy who gave us a great table. We started with a Caesar salad which was crisp and fresh. My wife had the lamb chops which were delicious and I had scallops which were tender and cooked perfectly. For desert we shared the popcorn Ice Cream ( oh sooo good ). The wait staff were excellent and attentive always there but not hovering. It is a must when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationGayleDined on 10/7/2014Several couples meter celebrating our combined birthdays. Everything was perfect. We sat outside on a round table. An evening we won't ever forget!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marshsavorydine62Dined on 10/6/2014This was just going to be where we went to dinner, however, we experience an evening. The whole night was unexpected. It was a journey back in time, the service was outstanding the food prepared exceptional. Flavors, spices, proteins blended to perfection. Only enhanced by the Zinfindel of age. Loved it. Well worth it. Oh, did I mention the Chef has won 3 James Beard awards.... Not surprised.Special Features:
- dgunnDined on 10/5/2014Never fails to excel, best restaurant in the desert. Menu is varied, wine is high end and wait staff obviously career professionals. The setting is charming, whether inside or outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightKelly5150RNDined on 10/4/2014We were on a church marriage retreat at the La Quinta resort and wanted a special night out for dinner. We were seated right away. Our table did not have a view per say and the chairs were a little narrow for us. Service was fine. Waiter split the soup for us which was nice. The best thing about the meal was the three course abalone tasting menu I ordered. Amazing! My husband had the short ribs and was very happy with his choice as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2014Awesome experience and terrific food Bar afterwards was great with live a piano playerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Festivals are funtiogioVIPDined on 10/3/2014Kudos to chef Jimmy for his innovative festival menus, and to the wine director for the spot on pairings. Great food in an amazing setting. Always a winner.Special Features:
- The Best of EverythingGibSVIPDined on 10/1/2014From the James Beard awarded Chef and his cuisine to the elegant atmosphere and the friendly and knowledgable wait staff, Morgan's in LaQuinta should not be passed up when anywhere near by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dining experienceTravelfoodyVIPDined on 10/1/2014Morgan's dining is excellent! Decor is warm & inviting with details from the original restaurant built in 1926. Servers friendly & accommodating offering recommendations from wine to dessert...and the food is amazing.....looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- What Abalone??steverinoDined on 9/30/2014My husband and I had the $55 abalone dinner (didn't include wine). In the first course, the abalone was cut up so tiny that you really couldn't taste anything but sauce. The abalone main course was also over-sauced and indistinguishable. Again small pieces. Never tasted the abalone. The saving grace was the garlic rolls! We had never been to Morgan's and am not sure we would ever go back. Lois & Steve SolotSpecial Features:
- The Best in the DesertDiscriminatingDinerDined on 9/25/2014Morgan's is by far the best in the desert, comparable to the best anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is amazingDinnerwithBizDined on 9/19/2014I have been to Morgans three times now and the food is always excellent. Highly recommend the Halibut and the Short Ribs, delicious!Special Features:
- Very NiceRobertDined on 9/19/2014Warm classy atmosphere, great food and good service a winning combination. A definite do again!Special Features:
- Great Dinner againVolunteer4GolfVIPDined on 9/13/2014Returned for another birthday dinner at Morgan's. Thank you for the great service and attention to detail. Food fantastic - as usual. Service super friendly - as usual.Special Features:
- Always a treat!SoozieqzVIPDined on 9/12/2014We always enjoy coming to Morgan's and this was no exception. The setting is lovely, from the drive onto the property, the grounds, the restaurant...all beautiful and romantic. All staff members are friendly and do a superb job of making their guests feel welcome. We started with the signature Bradshaw martini, delicious and a little dangerous ha The Caesar salad is great, hubs had the cauliflower soup which he loved. We shared the NY steak with a parmesan crust, which was really amazing. The flavor of the steak was just yummm and the parm made it over the top! The restaurant was a little noisy but it was a fun Friday night with lots of happy people :) Maggie was our server and she was fantastic! Be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- indiojrrDined on 9/12/2014Very disappointing. Menu is small and uninspired; side dish choices limited; dessert boring. Returned here because of previous experience but won't be back for a long while - too many other good restaurants in this area.
- foodfireDined on 9/6/2014Food was the worst I have ever had!!! Been here 4 times this was the last!!Special Features:
- Outstanding serviceDevo315Dined on 9/6/2014We were staying at La Quinta and decided to dine on site for our 35th anniversary, something we rarely do, and made an exception due to reviews. As with the decision to book our weekend at the resort, we made a good choice. From the moment we walked in we felt that our happiness was of utmost importance to the entire staff and the food was amazing. We will return and hope to have our server Jason again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Experience Ever!MommyoftwoDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at Morgans. Words cannot express how special they made our anniversary dinner. It was absolutely perfect. The waiter was extremely helpful with food and wine selections. He was also always willing to take a pic (or two) of us. The food? Man! One of the best meals we've ever had. It was cooked to perfection. The ambiance was great!!! We loved it there. This is not your party loud restaurant. It is more intimate, romantic and quiet. Great place to celebrate special occasions with your loved ones. Thank you Morgans for an amazing dinner! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but,BreezyinBanningDined on 8/31/2014The chef changed the pre fixe holiday festival menu from steak to shrimp and increased the price on the day we dined there. A little surprised, but the meal was impressive.Special Features:
- UnimpressedCdnfishVIPDined on 8/29/2014I booked on opentable, received a confirmation voicemail from the restaurant the day before the meal, then I received an email from opentable later that night saying the restaurant cancelled our reservation. I immediately tried to call the restaurant and no one answered. I went back onto opentable to rebook, but there was no availability for my original time, so I made one for the next avalable time slot. I called the restaurant again the next morning and asked why it was cancelled, and if I could get my original time back and they said no, and provided no explanation for the cancellation. I asked to speak to the manager, was told they would call when they got in, but I never got a call back. The food wasn't great.
- Great Desert DiningJHG1VIPDined on 8/28/2014A 1000 point open table reservation turned out to be a real treat. The setting is breathtaking - tucked away against the mountains in La Quinta. The dining room is full of atmosphere and very romantic. The food was sensational - halibut cooked perfectly, cold corn soup delicious, short ribs also cooked perfectly and excellent caesar salad. Good selection of wines by the glass. A definite must in the desert.Special Features:
- EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014We go to Morgans quite often and this was one of our best experiences. The service was incredible, our water glasses were never empty and bread basket was always full. Dinner was splendid, excellent food as always and the twisted s'mores dessert was Bomb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeVIPDined on 8/24/2014Morgan's is the BEST in the East Coachella Valley. Jimmy and Brian's Festival Dinners this spring/summer were over the top. My favorite was the Bacon Festival...Hey I'm a guy!!! Service is great...but Parker is the best waiter in the valley..Special Features:
- Amazing!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Great experience. Really made us feel welcome and not rushed. I had requested a table by fireplace through OpenTable and they fulfilled it no problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChunkDined on 8/22/2014Great service, good and drinks! Wish we could remember her name but we don't, but regardless she was excellent (young petite Hispanic woman)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable AnniversaryshampooguruDined on 8/17/2014My husband and I dined at Morgan's for our anniversary, and it was a very pleasant experience. The food was very good, and everyone from the hostess to our server to the bussers were extremely courteous, attentive, and friendly. Even our service dog was greeted with a bowl of fresh water as soon as we were seated. The restaurant is attractively furnished in a rustic Spanish motif, with dining inside and out, and the ambiance is suitable for a romantic evening, special occasion, or entertaining important business clients. Be sure to try the Baby Beat Salad. It is amazing, and I would return for this alone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morgan's6salDined on 8/14/2014Morgan's is always wonderful and the food amazing... As well as the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOMEOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/10/2014Great food and wine selections. Lobster corn festival was great! Also very accommodating to our young child with the option of buttered pasta with parmesan, which she enjoyed. Popcorn ice cream was really delicious. Would definitely come back for our anniversary dinner again!Special Features:
- ExceptionalInternetleeryDined on 8/9/2014For some reason when I checked out the restaurant on-line, a negative review popped up. Whoever wrote that was nuts. Morgan's was up there with the best dinners we've had. Really liked the J Winery pinot noir and the duck. Couldn't have asked for more. We will definitely dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big fan of the corn and lobster!RichVIPDined on 8/8/2014My wife and I dined at Morgan's on Friday, Aug 8. We both loved the wine/lobster/corn dinner. Excellent food (especially the soup). And very fairly priced. We'd definitely recommend this meal and restaurant to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeWillbebackDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I picked this restaurant to celebrate our 9th wedding anniversary dinner. We has a grest waitress, the food was spectacular and they even surprised us with an anniversary dessert, which was delicious and beautiful. We stay at La Quinta every year and will definitely be dining at Morgans for every visit. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb/Absolute Top Of The List!!!donaldfoodDined on 8/1/2014Every now and then there comes along a place that without question stands out from the rest. It has nothing to do with any financial angle, fashion statement, who's who aggregate, geographical location, or any other such non-relevant factors when considering quality, finesse, authenticity, and sensibility. It just speaks for itself in EVERY aspect of what it is all about and HOW it is all about that, without a word being spoken. When such a restaurant exists it almost should be a well-kept secret yet it deserves to be known and unobtrusively applauded to the hilt. Morgan's In The Desert is one of the rarities which evokes the above words and has done so in the absence of presentation. It is present and worth being placed as Number One.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Desert SpotSCDinerDined on 7/28/2014Very nice for an evening meal. Service is excellent. Filets were a bit overcooked this time though.Special Features:
- GREAT EVENINGBgMacDined on 7/19/2014Had dinner at Morgan's for my wife's birthday. You could not have asked for a better dining experience!! The food and service were Excellent!!! The staff was professional, helpful and friendly. Will look forward to dining with them again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElegancekefitzpatrickDined on 7/18/2014We were there to celebrate my wife's birthday. This was our first visit to Morgan's in the Desert despite that we have lived here in La Quinta for a number of years. The Resort is one of our favorite places to take our guests, either to dine or just simply enjoy the impeccably landscaped setting, perfect for photo opportunities. Morgan's as was expected, is an outstanding choice for great food and exceptional service. The Chef Jimmy Schmidt, indeed lived up to his reputation as a three-time James Beard Award winner, providing an expertly prepared scrumptious, flavorful main course dinner. Our dining at Morgan's of the Desert was an experience par excellence. We shall make this experience a more frequent occurrence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.