Morgan's in the Desert
Waldorf Astoria Laquinta Resort & Spa
49-499 Eisenhower Drive
La Quinta, CA 92253Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Morgan's in the Desert
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.morgansinthedesert.com/
- Phone: 7605644111x
- Hours of Operation:
Summer Hours: (Closed Tuesday & Wednesday)
Dinner: Nightly 6:00PM - 10:00 PM
Cocktails: Nightly 5:30PM - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Jimmy Schmidt
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For Catering information contact:
www.laquintaresort.com ● www.pgawest.com
- Special Events: Throughout the year we offer prix-fixe food festival menus, each highlighting a unique ingredient such as Meyer Lemon, Blue Mussels and Morel Mushrooms.
Join us for our monthly interactive wine and food dinners throughout the Spring of 2013.
A word from Morgan's in the Desert
Morgan’s in the desert, by James Beard Award winning Chef Jimmy Schmidt, welcomes guests for dinner with Contemporary American Cuisine, boutique new world wines, crafted vintage cocktails, and live entertainment. Join us at the piano bar, in the hacienda dining room or on the fire-lit courtyard. Join us for a relaxed yet refined dining or cocktail experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Morgan's in the Desert - Best Restaurants in La Quinta ›
Morgan's in the Desert reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (64)romantic (57)fit for foodies (46)notable wine list (31)great for outdoor dining (26)neighborhood gem (26)good for groups (12)vibrant bar scene (11)hot spot (7)scenic view (7)late-night find (7)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great Dinner againVolunteer4GolfVIPDined on 9/13/2014Returned for another birthday dinner at Morgan's. Thank you for the great service and attention to detail. Food fantastic - as usual. Service super friendly - as usual.Special Features:
- Always a treat!SoozieqzVIPDined on 9/12/2014We always enjoy coming to Morgan's and this was no exception. The setting is lovely, from the drive onto the property, the grounds, the restaurant...all beautiful and romantic. All staff members are friendly and do a superb job of making their guests feel welcome. We started with the signature Bradshaw martini, delicious and a little dangerous ha The Caesar salad is great, hubs had the cauliflower soup which he loved. We shared the NY steak with a parmesan crust, which was really amazing. The flavor of the steak was just yummm and the parm made it over the top! The restaurant was a little noisy but it was a fun Friday night with lots of happy people :) Maggie was our server and she was fantastic! Be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- indiojrrDined on 9/12/2014Very disappointing. Menu is small and uninspired; side dish choices limited; dessert boring. Returned here because of previous experience but won't be back for a long while - too many other good restaurants in this area.
- foodfireDined on 9/6/2014Food was the worst I have ever had!!! Been here 4 times this was the last!!Special Features:
- Outstanding serviceDevo315Dined on 9/6/2014We were staying at La Quinta and decided to dine on site for our 35th anniversary, something we rarely do, and made an exception due to reviews. As with the decision to book our weekend at the resort, we made a good choice. From the moment we walked in we felt that our happiness was of utmost importance to the entire staff and the food was amazing. We will return and hope to have our server Jason again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Experience Ever!MommyoftwoDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at Morgans. Words cannot express how special they made our anniversary dinner. It was absolutely perfect. The waiter was extremely helpful with food and wine selections. He was also always willing to take a pic (or two) of us. The food? Man! One of the best meals we've ever had. It was cooked to perfection. The ambiance was great!!! We loved it there. This is not your party loud restaurant. It is more intimate, romantic and quiet. Great place to celebrate special occasions with your loved ones. Thank you Morgans for an amazing dinner! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but,BreezyinBanningDined on 8/31/2014The chef changed the pre fixe holiday festival menu from steak to shrimp and increased the price on the day we dined there. A little surprised, but the meal was impressive.Special Features:
- UnimpressedCdnfishVIPDined on 8/29/2014I booked on opentable, received a confirmation voicemail from the restaurant the day before the meal, then I received an email from opentable later that night saying the restaurant cancelled our reservation. I immediately tried to call the restaurant and no one answered. I went back onto opentable to rebook, but there was no availability for my original time, so I made one for the next avalable time slot. I called the restaurant again the next morning and asked why it was cancelled, and if I could get my original time back and they said no, and provided no explanation for the cancellation. I asked to speak to the manager, was told they would call when they got in, but I never got a call back. The food wasn't great.
- Great Desert DiningJHG1VIPDined on 8/28/2014A 1000 point open table reservation turned out to be a real treat. The setting is breathtaking - tucked away against the mountains in La Quinta. The dining room is full of atmosphere and very romantic. The food was sensational - halibut cooked perfectly, cold corn soup delicious, short ribs also cooked perfectly and excellent caesar salad. Good selection of wines by the glass. A definite must in the desert.Special Features:
- EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014We go to Morgans quite often and this was one of our best experiences. The service was incredible, our water glasses were never empty and bread basket was always full. Dinner was splendid, excellent food as always and the twisted s'mores dessert was Bomb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeVIPDined on 8/24/2014Morgan's is the BEST in the East Coachella Valley. Jimmy and Brian's Festival Dinners this spring/summer were over the top. My favorite was the Bacon Festival...Hey I'm a guy!!! Service is great...but Parker is the best waiter in the valley..Special Features:
- Amazing!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Great experience. Really made us feel welcome and not rushed. I had requested a table by fireplace through OpenTable and they fulfilled it no problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChunkDined on 8/22/2014Great service, good and drinks! Wish we could remember her name but we don't, but regardless she was excellent (young petite Hispanic woman)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable AnniversaryshampooguruDined on 8/17/2014My husband and I dined at Morgan's for our anniversary, and it was a very pleasant experience. The food was very good, and everyone from the hostess to our server to the bussers were extremely courteous, attentive, and friendly. Even our service dog was greeted with a bowl of fresh water as soon as we were seated. The restaurant is attractively furnished in a rustic Spanish motif, with dining inside and out, and the ambiance is suitable for a romantic evening, special occasion, or entertaining important business clients. Be sure to try the Baby Beat Salad. It is amazing, and I would return for this alone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morgan's6salDined on 8/14/2014Morgan's is always wonderful and the food amazing... As well as the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOMEOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/10/2014Great food and wine selections. Lobster corn festival was great! Also very accommodating to our young child with the option of buttered pasta with parmesan, which she enjoyed. Popcorn ice cream was really delicious. Would definitely come back for our anniversary dinner again!Special Features:
- ExceptionalInternetleeryDined on 8/9/2014For some reason when I checked out the restaurant on-line, a negative review popped up. Whoever wrote that was nuts. Morgan's was up there with the best dinners we've had. Really liked the J Winery pinot noir and the duck. Couldn't have asked for more. We will definitely dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big fan of the corn and lobster!RichVIPDined on 8/8/2014My wife and I dined at Morgan's on Friday, Aug 8. We both loved the wine/lobster/corn dinner. Excellent food (especially the soup). And very fairly priced. We'd definitely recommend this meal and restaurant to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeWillbebackDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I picked this restaurant to celebrate our 9th wedding anniversary dinner. We has a grest waitress, the food was spectacular and they even surprised us with an anniversary dessert, which was delicious and beautiful. We stay at La Quinta every year and will definitely be dining at Morgans for every visit. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb/Absolute Top Of The List!!!donaldfoodDined on 8/1/2014Every now and then there comes along a place that without question stands out from the rest. It has nothing to do with any financial angle, fashion statement, who's who aggregate, geographical location, or any other such non-relevant factors when considering quality, finesse, authenticity, and sensibility. It just speaks for itself in EVERY aspect of what it is all about and HOW it is all about that, without a word being spoken. When such a restaurant exists it almost should be a well-kept secret yet it deserves to be known and unobtrusively applauded to the hilt. Morgan's In The Desert is one of the rarities which evokes the above words and has done so in the absence of presentation. It is present and worth being placed as Number One.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Desert SpotSCDinerDined on 7/28/2014Very nice for an evening meal. Service is excellent. Filets were a bit overcooked this time though.Special Features:
- GREAT EVENINGBgMacDined on 7/19/2014Had dinner at Morgan's for my wife's birthday. You could not have asked for a better dining experience!! The food and service were Excellent!!! The staff was professional, helpful and friendly. Will look forward to dining with them again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElegancekefitzpatrickDined on 7/18/2014We were there to celebrate my wife's birthday. This was our first visit to Morgan's in the Desert despite that we have lived here in La Quinta for a number of years. The Resort is one of our favorite places to take our guests, either to dine or just simply enjoy the impeccably landscaped setting, perfect for photo opportunities. Morgan's as was expected, is an outstanding choice for great food and exceptional service. The Chef Jimmy Schmidt, indeed lived up to his reputation as a three-time James Beard Award winner, providing an expertly prepared scrumptious, flavorful main course dinner. Our dining at Morgan's of the Desert was an experience par excellence. We shall make this experience a more frequent occurrence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great chef!4foodDined on 7/17/2014The lamb was superb, as was the duck. The ambiance and service was among the best dining in the valley. Prices are relative to what is served so I would say the right combination of value/product trade off.Special Features:
- Fantastic !!RonaldDined on 7/14/2014I used to live at the Resort and have eaten there many times. This was absolutely the best !! The service was great, the talble was in a quite area that I requested and the food was FABULOUS !! We both had the Cherry SPECIAL dinner and I have never had tri tips that were even close to what I received that night !! What more can I say except I was glad that you haven't run out of Rombauer Chardonnay like many of the others have !!!Special Features:
- My BDay PartyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/12/2014My girlfriend went out of the way to let the server know it was my bday and that there was a custom cake in back for me. He started by taking everyone's drink order except mine and walking away and then ended the dinner by forgetting it was my bday and that there was a cake and then asking everyone what they wanted for desert. We also opened a Peter Michael 2007 and a Dominus 2010 and he did not refill one single person's wine glass. Some of the food was good but my filet was NOT medium rare. All around a pretty poor showing and at well over $100 a person I would NOT be in a rush to come back anytime soon!
- Great FoodAndrewDined on 7/5/2014The menu was designed around great ingredients and everyone in our group really liked their food. Strip steak wasn't good but I might not try another steak at Morgans unless a rib eye is available.
- Always Great Food and Service!Loverman92253VIPDined on 7/3/2014Super! Jimmy Schmidt has presents fabulous food. Waiter, I believe his name was Eric, slight english accent, he was OVER the Top with superior service and a funny personality. The Cherry Festival Special was Crazy Good! Simply one of the Top 3 Restaurants if not the Best in the Entire Desert. La Quinta Resort ambiance just enhances the experience at MorgansSpecial Features:
- Amazing Experience6salDined on 6/28/2014My friend and I couldn't get all the amazing food we were able to experience... flavor, presentation, ambience OUTSTANDING... I live in the neighborhood and have been to all the other restaurants at the Resort... certainly hope I'll be dinning here more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food ever!!!!!!!JmhergeyVIPDined on 6/27/2014Love this place more than life itself. The food is amazing and the service is fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can not say enough good things.Special Features:
- A night at Morgan'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/23/2014We enjoyed everything about our dinner at Morgan's, located at the beautiful La Quinta Resort. The service was excellent without being over bearing. The food was tastefully displayed and delicious. Most of all we enjoyed the quiet enjoyment of dinner with soothing music in the background.Special Features:
- Missed the markHappyDinerDined on 6/23/2014This was our third time at Morgans. I had the wagyu steak, which was ok. I've had great steaks and for the price, this was mediocre. My wife had the bacon festival special. She loved everything until the desert. A couple of us took bites. The first bite had you questioning whether you liked it. Definitely a bold creation, but the peppery aftertaste proved not to be pleasant. This was the first time at Morgans that service was truly lacking. It was not a busy night, yet we felt very neglected. They forgot my wife's wine pairing with the main course, then forgot to serve her desert. After desert menus were brought to us, it took 15 minutes for the waiter to ask if we wanted to order. I've had way better service at Denny's.Special Features:
- Lovely DinnerLVfoodDined on 6/22/2014Very lovely evening - enjoy service and food. Menu was small wished there were a few more starters.Special Features:
- Deserving of its high reputationOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/21/2014Morgan's has earned its reputation, giving careful consideration to the overall experience of diners from the moment they enter the door. Our server was friendly and attentive, but gave us the space we wanted to enjoy ourselves. He was also very knowledgeable about the menu and food in general.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kmnineDined on 6/19/2014Off season visit, June. They didn't seem to be understaffed, but our Waiter was indifferent, distracted?? Assistant performed most off the service, he was excellent. American Lamb prepared as ordered was a plus.I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden gemluv2dineDined on 6/8/2014We decided to celebrate our wedding anniversary here and it was great. A very quiet intimate place, not rowdy like most restaurants. The servers were very attentive. The food was good. We even received a complimentary dessert. I would recommend this place if you want a quiet/romantic dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/8/2014Four of us went for dinner and from first to last everything was wonderful. Fairly pricey and the wine list even more so, but it was worth it. Service was very good as well. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining ExperiencediningcriticDined on 5/25/2014Excellent Dinner. Beautiful Ambience. Great Service. Good value. We were even able to bring our well behaved dog. We sat on the patio and met a lot of nice people. The tuna and the duck were both very well prepared and very delicious. We will definitely dine there again when we visit La Quinta!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Morgan'sJwbivVIPDined on 5/24/2014Can't wait to go back! The resort has done outstanding job of combining the historic beauty and the needs of today's diners. Food was great, service excellent, absolutely nothing bad to say. Portions are modest but that leaves room for fabulous deserts. Yes, it's a bit of a splurge price wise, but quality of food and overall experience makes it well worth it.Special Features:
- Jim65Dined on 5/24/2014Outstanding menu selections and wine list. Attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.