Morgan's in the Desert
Waldorf Astoria Laquinta Resort & Spa
49-499 Eisenhower Drive
La Quinta, CA 92253Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Morgan's in the Desert
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.morgansinthedesert.com/
- Phone: (760) 564-4111
- Hours of Operation:
Summer Hours: (Closed Tuesday & Wednesday)
Dinner: Nightly 6:00PM - 10:00 PM
Cocktails: Nightly 5:30PM - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Jimmy Schmidt
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For Catering information contact:
www.laquintaresort.com ● www.pgawest.com
- Special Events: Throughout the year we offer prix-fixe food festival menus, each highlighting a unique ingredient such as Meyer Lemon, Blue Mussels and Morel Mushrooms.
Join us for our monthly interactive wine and food dinners throughout the Spring of 2013.
A word from Morgan's in the Desert
Morgan’s in the desert, by James Beard Award winning Chef Jimmy Schmidt, welcomes guests for dinner with Contemporary American Cuisine, boutique new world wines, crafted vintage cocktails, and live entertainment. Join us at the piano bar, in the hacienda dining room or on the fire-lit courtyard. Join us for a relaxed yet refined dining or cocktail experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Morgan's in the Desert - Best Restaurants in La Quinta ›
Morgan's in the Desert reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (86)romantic (79)fit for foodies (75)notable wine list (47)great for outdoor dining (45)neighborhood gem (34)good for groups (33)vibrant bar scene (18)hot spot (16)scenic view (15)late-night find (6)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Mixed feelingsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/24/2014The ambiance is really nice at Morgans, the tables are set far enough apart to have a quiet dinner, and the staff is very good. Our problem was that the food was heavy and every dish was way over salted. We all commented amongst ourselves about how salty each of our dishes was and even considered sending the dishes back but decided it wasnt worth the time, and since even the appetizers were salty, heavy and rich it was clearly the way the chef cooked. My personal feeling is that the chef isnt trusting the ingredients to stand on their own merit with freshnes and flavor, but must add lots of butter, cream and salt. We mentioned the salt issue to the waiter, simply to relay the info to the chef hoping it might make a difference for future people eating there. We were surprised and touched when they brought out free desserts for all four of us. It wasnt expected at all but very appreciated. Our waiter was exceptional, and the rooms were beautifully and tastefully decorated, for those reasons alone I might go back if it was a special occasion where the ambiance was important. But I would order carefully and ask for lighter less salty options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never EVER disappointsTravelBugVIPDined on 11/20/2014This is our favourite fine dining place in the desert. The food is always delicious - the beet salad was superb but large (easily sharable) and the only thing I ever have here is the Braised Short Rib on Celery Root puree. Outstanding! My husband always has a steak with blue cheese crust and says it's the best he's had. The atmosphere is sophisticated yet relaxed and the service is always top notch. We always come here for at least one dinner when we visit. Reservations are a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still good fine dining.Food4funDined on 11/18/2014With so many restaurants in the valley going casual,(& noisy), Morgan's has kept it's atmosphere of fine dining & service. We are always pleased with our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFinefoodiesVIPDined on 11/17/2014We had heard good things about Morgan's and were expecting a fine dining experience, but alas, it was not to be. The best things we had to eat were the rolls and flatbreads before the meal. My husband and I had the "baby romaine salad", which turned out to be a soggy Caesar, with not even a crouton anywhere in sight. When we asked for anchovies, we were told they didn't have any. I ordered a steak, and asked for a baked potato, and again was told there were no baked potatoes. Seriously? The server then suggested a different steak with mushrooms and sauce, which turned out to be a good piece of meat smothered in a thick and sticky sauce all piled on top of something I couldn't identify. My husband had the lamb chops, which he graded a "C", and was perplexed by a type of bean that the chops sat upon. The service was friendly, but not especially professional. All in all we were disappointed.Special Features:
- lovely dinner at Morgan'sJoanneDined on 11/16/2014Had a very enjoyable meal at Morgan's. All of our meals were excellent. I had the short-braised ribs and my friends had the oysters (he said that they were the best that he's ever had) and the ahi tartar. Then for desserts, we had the popcorn sundae and the Smore's Dessert to share. Ron Pass playing in the background capped off this amazing night. Will definitely be back next time I'm in the Desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!toyboyDined on 11/16/2014My husband had one of the best steaks he has ever had! The music from the bar was great and so was the singer! It could be very romantic...outdoor fire pits and beautiful fireplaces inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morgan's Always DeliversFadedEleganceVIPDined on 11/14/2014We are nearby seasonal residents and regulars at Morgan's. Proximity is a plus for us, but the true draw is the outstanding food and wine. No other restaurant in the desert so consistently serves gorgeous food in a beautiful setting with five star service - especially the various "festivals" featuring seasonal specialties. The current one is pears and duck and is one of their best in recent memory. Very highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Perfect!Sus77VIPDined on 11/12/2014If you can only go to one restaurant in Palm Desert, Morgans should be it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Above average night out, butoregonDined on 11/9/2014Food good, service very good. Waiter up-sold too much however. Made me feel like we worked on commission. Portions could have been more in line with prices. The meal could have been a tad less rushed, but I could have said something, too. Ambiance of restaurant comfortable. Ladies can get as dressed up as they want, men could get away with a golf shirt and slacks..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Client DinnergoodimpressionsDined on 11/9/2014The ambiance was great, the staff was professional, and the food was spectacular. Thank you for a great night!Special Features:
- Don't miss itNeilsenVIPDined on 11/8/2014It was so good the first night that we cancelled reservations elsewhere and went back. Jason provided service both nights, the second at our request. One of the best servers we've experienced in years. One seriously can't go wrong here. Every metric is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingNeilsenVIPDined on 11/7/2014Fabulous. Loved it. Firing on all cylinders. A 10 out of 10. We both agreed that this one of the best meals we've had together in a long time. The ambience, the food, and especially the service (thank you Jason-you're phenomenal) was perfect.Special Features:
- FantasticKitty64Dined on 11/1/2014Unbelievable cauliflower purée soup!! Didn't see that one coming! Great meal and lovely service'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014Everything was perfect. A very enjoyable time. Thank you.
- Beautiful placeAzjulieDined on 10/29/2014Food was good, setting really nice. But was disappointed in the wine list. Did not have the year of wine we selected and tried to bring us another year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/29/2014This was our second vist to the desert from the East coast. We ate at Morgan's in the Desert last year and it was a fantastic find. The ambiance and food are a great combination. We were celebrating our anniversary and enjoy a lovely evening surrounded by this beautiful hotel and mountains. I had the rack of lamb and my husband had the filet mignon which were prepared perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special occasionreball4Dined on 10/28/2014The surrounding resort is stunningly beautiful, and approaching this restaurant feels very special. It did not disappoint. Service was so friendly, informative, and utterly professional, as good as I have experienced. I admire chef Jimmy Schmidt's philosophy (an early and continuing locavore) and the food used available ingredients inventively. I enjoyed my pre-meal cocktail - they serve a very solid martini! - but I was oddly unimpressed by the wine list; the selection of sauvignon blancs, for example, was small (3, I think) and ordinary. Our visit was off-season, when the restaurant is far from full, and the atmosphere was very relaxed..Special Features:
- DisappointedMumzyVIPDined on 10/26/2014Great atmosphere, one of the most beautiful rooms in the desert. Having said that, we were delivered two filet mignon that were so incredibly salty, we couldn't eat them. Kitchen was gracious and took them back. We were informed that the head chef tried them and he agreed. Two more arrived about 15 minutes later, same again. We have eaten here so many times and never run into a problem like this. the blame was put on the new grill chef but seriously, how hard is it to cook a simple steak. Hoping that they get this ironed out before the winter season is under way.Special Features:
- Great experienceLQajmVIPDined on 10/26/2014Server Michael was excellent. Food was prepared perfectly. Great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- time2dineDined on 10/25/2014Had a lovely dinner and experienced great service. There was a live musician which the whole restaurant seemed to enjoy. A great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect eveningeatinginthedesertDined on 10/18/2014Welcomed right from the beginning by Alessandra and Leighann...Started in the bar with Brian and Cesar. Perfectly mixed cocktails and fun, friendly guys! Had dinner outside and perfect service from every person who came to our table!!! The food was amazing. We had a taste of halibut, new York strip and filet at our table and everyone loved their entree. The experience was everything you would expect! Great team John Healy!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find...MJRMTDined on 10/18/2014Morgan's is an incredible spot in LaQuinta; well worth the drive from Palm Springs. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, as always.StephenDined on 10/15/2014Every time we go to Morgan's it's a very nice experience. Our most recent visit was no different. Food and service were both outstanding. I would heartily recommend Morgan's to anyone who asked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/12/2014Great food. Great service. Always a pleasure to eat here.Special Features:
- Top Shelf DiningORdinnerVIPDined on 10/9/2014When my wife and I find a good place we go back over and over unless disappointed . In Indian Wells on vacation from NYC for the sixth straight year and have eaten in Morgan's each year It has a terrific ambience for fine dining. We first had a cocktail outside by the fire pit and then said hello to the GM John Healy who gave us a great table. We started with a Caesar salad which was crisp and fresh. My wife had the lamb chops which were delicious and I had scallops which were tender and cooked perfectly. For desert we shared the popcorn Ice Cream ( oh sooo good ). The wait staff were excellent and attentive always there but not hovering. It is a must when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationGayleDined on 10/7/2014Several couples meter celebrating our combined birthdays. Everything was perfect. We sat outside on a round table. An evening we won't ever forget!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marshsavorydine62Dined on 10/6/2014This was just going to be where we went to dinner, however, we experience an evening. The whole night was unexpected. It was a journey back in time, the service was outstanding the food prepared exceptional. Flavors, spices, proteins blended to perfection. Only enhanced by the Zinfindel of age. Loved it. Well worth it. Oh, did I mention the Chef has won 3 James Beard awards.... Not surprised.Special Features:
- dgunnDined on 10/5/2014Never fails to excel, best restaurant in the desert. Menu is varied, wine is high end and wait staff obviously career professionals. The setting is charming, whether inside or outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightKelly5150RNDined on 10/4/2014We were on a church marriage retreat at the La Quinta resort and wanted a special night out for dinner. We were seated right away. Our table did not have a view per say and the chairs were a little narrow for us. Service was fine. Waiter split the soup for us which was nice. The best thing about the meal was the three course abalone tasting menu I ordered. Amazing! My husband had the short ribs and was very happy with his choice as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2014Awesome experience and terrific food Bar afterwards was great with live a piano playerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Festivals are funtiogioVIPDined on 10/3/2014Kudos to chef Jimmy for his innovative festival menus, and to the wine director for the spot on pairings. Great food in an amazing setting. Always a winner.Special Features:
- The Best of EverythingGibSVIPDined on 10/1/2014From the James Beard awarded Chef and his cuisine to the elegant atmosphere and the friendly and knowledgable wait staff, Morgan's in LaQuinta should not be passed up when anywhere near by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dining experienceTravelfoodyVIPDined on 10/1/2014Morgan's dining is excellent! Decor is warm & inviting with details from the original restaurant built in 1926. Servers friendly & accommodating offering recommendations from wine to dessert...and the food is amazing.....looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- What Abalone??steverinoDined on 9/30/2014My husband and I had the $55 abalone dinner (didn't include wine). In the first course, the abalone was cut up so tiny that you really couldn't taste anything but sauce. The abalone main course was also over-sauced and indistinguishable. Again small pieces. Never tasted the abalone. The saving grace was the garlic rolls! We had never been to Morgan's and am not sure we would ever go back. Lois & Steve SolotSpecial Features:
- The Best in the DesertDiscriminatingDinerDined on 9/25/2014Morgan's is by far the best in the desert, comparable to the best anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is amazingDinnerwithBizDined on 9/19/2014I have been to Morgans three times now and the food is always excellent. Highly recommend the Halibut and the Short Ribs, delicious!Special Features:
- Very NiceRobertDined on 9/19/2014Warm classy atmosphere, great food and good service a winning combination. A definite do again!Special Features:
- Great Dinner againVolunteer4GolfVIPDined on 9/13/2014Returned for another birthday dinner at Morgan's. Thank you for the great service and attention to detail. Food fantastic - as usual. Service super friendly - as usual.Special Features:
- Always a treat!SoozieqzVIPDined on 9/12/2014We always enjoy coming to Morgan's and this was no exception. The setting is lovely, from the drive onto the property, the grounds, the restaurant...all beautiful and romantic. All staff members are friendly and do a superb job of making their guests feel welcome. We started with the signature Bradshaw martini, delicious and a little dangerous ha The Caesar salad is great, hubs had the cauliflower soup which he loved. We shared the NY steak with a parmesan crust, which was really amazing. The flavor of the steak was just yummm and the parm made it over the top! The restaurant was a little noisy but it was a fun Friday night with lots of happy people :) Maggie was our server and she was fantastic! Be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- indiojrrVIPDined on 9/12/2014Very disappointing. Menu is small and uninspired; side dish choices limited; dessert boring. Returned here because of previous experience but won't be back for a long while - too many other good restaurants in this area.