Morels French Steakhouse & Bistro (at The Grove)
189 The Grove Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90036Neighborhood:
Beverly / Fairfax / La Brea / Third St.
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Morels French Steakhouse & Bistro (at The Grove)
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.morelsla.com/
- Phone: 3239659595x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
Friday: 11:30am - midnight
Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, French
- Executive Chef: Chuck Abair
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Join us for our Wine & Cheese Tasting on the third Thursday of every month from 7:00pm - 8:30pm. We offer a selection of regional cheeses paired with some of our excellent French & Californian wines. Guest speakers are in attendance to explain the pairing
A word from Morels French Steakhouse & Bistro (at The Grove)
Morels Steakhouse & Bistro is ideally located in front of the water show at The Grove with extensive patio dining, making it the ideal spot for viewing and dining. Executive Chef Chuck Abair prepares seasonal menus with bistro classics such as French onion soup, steak frites, fresh seafood and profiteroles. The beef is hand-picked, certified Angus and all-natural cuts. Classic side dishes, oysters, daily caught fresh seafood and fish are perfect for any dinner. Wine Spectator Magazine has called Morels "one of America's most wine friendly restaurants" and has awarded the restaurant the Award of Excellence since 2002. The restaurant also offers an extensive drink program such as hand crafted cocktails. We validate 2 hours at The Grove Parking structure.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Morels French Steakhouse & Bistro (at The Grove) reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (8)romantic (6)good for groups (5)special occasion (4)scenic view (3)fit for foodies (3)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (2)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Great for a special someoneOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014We went to Morels last night for a date, and it was fantastic. We sat outside next to the dancing fountains. The ambiance outside and inside is classic French. Very romantic. The food was incredible, especially dessert. We had the chocolate M-something. (Not sure what it's called)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorely DisappointedEZ2PleaseDined on 10/13/2014I had heard GREAT things about the restaurant and was expecting the food and service to be comparable with the environment. Unfortunately, I have gotten better service at "Denny's" and a better steak at "Outback." Our waiter was unavailable and slow. Altho' we had reservations at 7 p.m., had arrived a little early, and had noticed very few patrons, they were unable to fill our appetizer order ("no tomatoes"). I ordered the Ribeye steak and was served a NY Strip. They recognized their mistake, BUT refused to correct it. They charged me full price and offered to comp me a dessert, which I did not want. The steak was fair, altho' unacceptable at the price. Sadly, "Morel's" is a poser for fine dining.
- Did not disappointMickiVIPDined on 8/23/2014Have been wanting to try this out almost every time I've gone to the Grove, and was pleased. Their cheese selection was pretty good and they had a rocking beer list. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- What happened????nuguDined on 8/7/2014We have been coming to Morel's for a while and not exactly sure what happened. Normally, we enjoy the food and relaxing ambiance, said that: We were seated promptly (for dinner/outdoor) but the hostess forgot to inform the server "we were in" in addition we realized that we were seated next to a loud group and our server made up the group table, need to say more?! Food was ok, except for the wine we never got but was included in the bill, was rectified upon our request.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going down hilloldusedcopDined on 7/19/2014Generally, the food was as good as in the past. However, there are signs that Morel's is no longer what it used to be. The maître d' was working hard, but the absence of wait staff resulted in 2 hours for dining. Restrooms and the elevator showed signs of neglect. The elevator interior was marked with damage and graffiti. This place needs refurbishment, and needs added personnel.
- FairDisappointed04Dined on 7/17/2014Our table was very rocky, the server knew this and did nothing about it. The food was good, but the drinks were not nearly strong enough, seemed like there was no alcohol in them. It felt like they were trying to push us out, our dinner was 40 minutes. My filet was good, but there are better places to eat in the area.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerEngagedinParisDined on 6/27/2014We were very excited to find this restaurant. We were celebrating our year anniversary of getting engaged in Paris, France. The food was absolutely amazing! The steak was perfectly cooked, our salad was delicious, and our desert was yummy (the second time). The service could definitely use some help. We walked up to the host stand and a server was standing about 3 feet from it, walked up to us after a minute and told us that someone would be right with us to help. He then took 3 steps back to the spot where he was standing. Very odd that he didn't just help us to a table. Maybe his job was to stand there. Our service was nice in the beginning, but disappeared at several moments throughout the meal for long periods of time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 332 reviews are from the Morels French Steakhouse & Bistro (at The Grove) reviews archive.
- Service was very slow onlyCuthere123Dined on 6/13/2014Only one other table where we were sitting inside and took forever to ask us for drink order. My food was good however two people In my group ordered fish and chips and they were so soggy. Looks like they sat for long time as with everyone's fries soggy. For the amount of money you spend it is not worth itSpecial Features:
- Open Table?OnlineTableDined on 6/4/2014We made a reservation through Open Table online days before going. I got two conformation e-mails. One on the day I reserved and one reminder on the day we went. However they did not have our reservation listed when we got there. Luckily they had open spots as it was week day lunch. Everything else was great, food and service. Just beware when reserving online.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing!TheRealDined on 5/24/2014Soup and salad were good - entrees, not so much. They served my daughter the wrong meal and by the time they brought the correct one, the rest of our food was cold. Strike 1. (she declined it because we were literally ready to leave when it came out. They did take it off the bill) I ordered surf and turf (Lobster Thermidor and a Filet). No thermidor, not even butter. Just a sad looking, rubbery half lobster. Strike 2. Took my plate back and topped my already sad lobster with some spinach and carrots that they claim was their version of thermidor. I say it was a weak attempt to cover up they're mistake. They charged me $86.00 for this privilege. Strike 3. Play at your own risk.
- Bad choicebillyDined on 5/2/2014If you want to pay $18 for a Hamburger that is cold and tasteless, come here. If you want a well done Filet that was ordered medium rare, come here. If you want to wait 45 minutes past the time of your reservations, come here. If you want to spend a lot of money on a horrible meal with horrible service, this is the place.
- good people watchingWeHoChrisDined on 4/26/2014come for the people watching, its the best thing next to the fondue...and the cocktails.Special Features:
- Worst service everSalazioDined on 4/19/2014If you been to the Las Vegas restaurant you will be extremely disappointed. This was a dinner where everything went wrong. It started with that they didn't have any sparkling water so we took a bottle of flat water but when the waiter filled up the glasses with tab water we didn't get a new bottled without paying for a new one. We had a onion soup as a starter but we weren't allowed to finished it before the main arrived and when I said that we would like to finish the starter first they just left the main course at the table and left so it was uneatable after we finished the starters. The wine was served after the starter so we had a bottle of wine as a main, the idea was to have it to the starter.Special Features:
- Once again FailmorelswhyDined on 4/17/2014Brought a group of 10 -- lets just say being ignored was the least of it -- bad food too-- just had a hard time getting any order correct and having a wait staff help -- very bad experience and we never complain
- Solid beg for lunchBrat1016Dined on 4/16/2014Went for lunch with a coworker and sat out on the patio. Great people watching, good solid food (both of us were pleased with our meals) and excellent attentive service.Special Features:
- Overpriced with limited optionsSJopinionDined on 2/27/2014Fondue was disappointing. Only apples, bread, and 2 vegetables offered. Presentation plain and way too expensive for what you received. Niçoise salad was good but seared tuna not that tasty and I love seared tuna or otherwise. Server was nice but restaurant was dead.Special Features:
- Just ok2fordinnerDined on 2/22/2014The restaurant is beautiful and the service was great, but the food was marginal for the price. My mother and I shared the 32 oz porterhouse for $60 each it was ok - we make better steaks at home and for alto less money. We will not be going back.
- Overall good experience , VDAY dincesarDined on 2/14/2014Our rsvp was for 8pm on Vday. We get there a little after 8pm and were seated. I asked for a balcony table but was told they were all reserved, how if I also had reservation? there were about 3-4 empty 2 people tables but instead were sat upstairs in the corner larger corner area next to the bathroom, maybe for arriving late. We ordered a sirloin Steak along with mashed potatoes, Macaroni Gratin, along with a Chicken Sandwich. The Steak was a 14OZ 28day aged sirloin, cooked prefect and the crust and butter was superb. The macaroni gratin was good but a but creamy and not sharp cheese flavor but maybe that's French style. the Chicken sandwich was killer, over great except for first partSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, chaotic atmospherekalliekayDined on 2/14/2014The food was great, our waitress was wonderful - but the atmosphere (at our table at least) was chaotic. We sat outside - because inside they were playing 1990's era electronica club music (which really doesn't fit with the look of the place...) Outside was nice - but our table was along the side where people enter from the Grove parking garage, so there was a lot of raucous and noise. It didn't bother me so much, but if you are looking for something intimate this probably isn't the best choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixed experienceElenaDined on 12/15/2013Very nice restaurant, two of us enjoyed the (overpriced) steak, the other two had mediocre food. The waitress was sweet, friendly, nice, but overwhelmed with the amount of tables she had to manage. Parking was very very difficult.
- Popular GrovekittyVIPDined on 12/15/2013It's a great location for brunch or dinner while you can shop before / after meal + people watching. food is fair. Services and hostess are the disappointment at times.Special Features:
- Service Service Service...JennDined on 10/12/2013I have been to Morels numerous times and have had wonderful experiences Unfortunately, this last visit will be my last visit. Our server was in such a "bad" mood .He came by and I was unsure if he had teeth because he had such a straight face with a small voice. Topping it off, he had a stiff and cold way of speaking to my company. After paying our check I flagged down a manager to bring up this issue (I could have probably gotten better service at McDonald's!) I am not sure if this particular person was talked to or not since the manager didn't really seem to care about what I had to say since I had already paid. But Morels has definitely lost a long term customer. a Yelp review is on its way. thanks
- Great food and atmosphereJessika72VIPDined on 10/5/2013The food was great, atmosphere was amazing. Just what I needed after a long week! The only problem was the server he didn't seem to what to be there or to like us. We were the first of 3 tables seated next to him and the last to receive bread, service and our food. We got our bill about 20 mins after the other tables. We ordered dessert and cappuccinos, our dessert was done before the coffee ever came (it would have been cold had we waited). The Saturday night wait staff should be better, they are busy and stand to make a lot in tips. I have had amazing service everytime but this, maybe he just had a bad day... I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely brunch, great service!ArissabrightVIPDined on 9/21/2013We had a group of 8 for brunch. Everything was delicious an Johnny took great care of us. Definitely will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay drinks.PointhoarderVIPDined on 9/8/2013Had the pate. Nothing to get excited about. Drinks were okay.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre all aroundkeith610Dined on 8/31/2013The service here was just plain bad. We started out with a waitress who appeared irritated from the start. Then a waiter started to help us and he was slow and forgot pretty much everything we ordered.
- DelishEddieSuperstarDined on 8/31/2013Excellent food with excellent service. The crab was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What Happened To Morels?orioleboyVIPDined on 7/24/2013We had a disappointing meal after enjoying this restaurant several times in the past. Our server was "just there" and very I attentive while the menu and wine list were subpar at best. We probably won't go back.
- Super Excited to Dine HereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/21/2013My daughters and I have always wanted to try Morels. I was finally able to persuade them to try it and give up our old stand-by "Cheesecake Factory"! However, wished we would have stayed with CCF. Morels was a super disappointment. The food was fair at best and it is pricey!! I don't get it, it's always crowded there, perhaps we ordered the wrong things!
- Good place to sit down andtravelforfoodVIPDined on 6/28/2013Good place to sit down and enjoy a meal at The Grove. Charcuterie Board is impressive; Bloody Marys on the Brunch menu are memorable. Sit outside for great people watching.Special Features:
- Lunch on Sunday in JuneValleyKidDined on 6/8/2013The patio is nice for a light brunch / lunch but not for large groups. The food is flavorful and fondue as an appetizer is always nice. My wife had the crab bendict which was a large portion for her and I had the steak and eggs (I am a plain food type of person). Both were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened?OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/25/2013I have been a steady customer for several years and this place used to have a good wine selection with a sommelier, great cheese selection from around the world, exotic salts for your steak, knowledgeable staff and live Jazz on weekends. Now this place has become a disappointment. The wines are mediocre, the food is bland, the menu is badly curated and the overall quality has just degraded. I won't come back to Morels. I'm not sure if the economic downturn has affected this place, or if a change in management has made quality and user experience their least important goal, but for this kind of money you can eat much better in other restaurants in Los Angeles. I'm sorry Morels, you were a good middle-range restaurant and now you're plain badSpecial Features:
- One time visitOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/25/2013First impression is the most important part. Hostess was not there to greet us. When she finally came to seat us, she was not friendly and she never smile. Also she forgot to tell the server that we had a bithday. So after that you feel that maybe you will give it a second thought if you want to come back. The food was ok. The peas, bacon and shallots were over cooked. The bordelaise sauce was bland. And the worst part is that it is a french restaurant and they do not have chocolate fondue or chocolate souffle, what's up with that?
- Not so greatLisaVIPDined on 5/19/2013We had a Ribeye, wasn't that good. Service was great we really liked JosetaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Subpar Food with Dismal ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/16/2013The server seemed like he didn't want to be there. I ordered a frisée salad that was so bland I sent it back. The server suggested another salad, and that wasn't great either so I didn't eat it. Instead of asking for feedback or removing the salad,he left the salad there for the duration of the meal. Awkward! Mussels were fishy, steak was well past medium. I think you get the picture. The bubbly manager was the highlight of the evening.Special Features:
- Very confusing menuOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/8/2013When I ordered a salmon caesar salad and expressed surprise at the tiny size, the waiter's comment is that it was an appetizer. Clearly, the word appetizer is on the right side of the column and in no way indicates it is to cover both columns. Most restaurants offer an entree caesar salad so 2 oz is rather minute. He said the full size is 6 oz and this was half, therefore it was 3.4 oz. If a full is 6 oz and it cooks to be 4 oz, then 1/2 is 2 oz. He argued with me. Since when is the waiter in charge of chastising the patron? Our kids and guests thought he was pretty rude also. The rest of the food was ok. Probably not worth the mediocre service and tiny portion.
- Really lovelyJuilavhaVIPDined on 4/28/2013Morels is delicious every time we visit ... service is usually stellar and, there was a manager ; Douglas , who was so delightful and remembers us on every visit !Special Features:
- Great for brunch and peopleRik777VIPDined on 4/28/2013Great for brunch and people watching if you sit outside! They allow pets which is huge bc I bring my dog and sit outside and they're so accomodating! Food is excellent! We go back every year for Mother's Day brunch.Special Features:
- Good food and service, even tho...OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/6/2013Food was good. Staff was very friendly. Somehow, they mixed up my bill with another patron, figured out the mistake, BUT still charged my card for both bills even though I only signed for one of the bills. Had to dispute it with my cc company. I assume it was an honest mistake and would probably go back there due to the friendly service, good food, and the scene.Special Features:
- Steak fansannwVIPDined on 4/5/2013Steak fans in my family were very happy! Boyfriend loved the profiteroles. This is a go-to restaurant when you just need to get it right in a comfortable yet upscale environment. Easy to get to at The Grove.Special Features: