430 S. Second St
Milwaukee, WI 53204Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.morelmke.com/
- Phone: (414) 897-0747
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday through Thursday 5:00pm-9:00pm
Friday and Saturday 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Manyo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Morel
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Morel - Best Restaurants in Milwaukee ›
Morel reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (101)neighborhood gem (60)special occasion (52)hot spot (39)romantic (36)good for groups (21)notable wine list (18)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/26/2014Everything was fantastic. I wasn't disappointed with a single dish or drink!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisy,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/26/2014I went to Morel at my girlfriend's request. I would have left immediately because of the noise level, which made it difficult to hear anything. That was at five o'clock. The waitress was attentive. I had duck, my girlfriend had beef cheeks. My dish was oversalted. With a tip, the bill was $96.
- have chef will salt?happybakerVIPDined on 11/22/2014Our overall experience at Morel was very good, the chef is obviously talented, and the food is inventive and tasty. The flatbread, radish salad, and soup were outstanding, and the place has a great vibe (although a bit of noise dampening wouldn't hurt). All four of us were raving until our entrees came out very over-salted ...a pity. We'll come back again to give it another try...and hopefully will have the same great experience with the entrees as with the rest of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best new restaurant in Milwaukee!Lives2eatVIPDined on 11/21/2014We had a terrific dinner here Nov. 22. Craft cocktails are delicious, nice wine selection but the star is the innovative and wonderfully prepared entrees. If you start with anything, make it the pork belly. Yes, you see it everywhere but not like this. the lamb dish was out of this world and the beef cheeks were so tender and flavorful. MKE is really lucky to have such talented chefs !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKcurlyDined on 11/18/2014A bit $$$. Food was good but too much sauce of different kinds on everything - hid the taste of the main item. The service was ok, a little too much coming to the table and interrupting conversation. We will try again at a later time. Parking was a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back...TommyDined on 11/14/2014Great food and great atmosphere. The waitstaff seemed very knowledgeable and friendly; however, our server was very slow to warm. She did get friendly towards the end of the meal, close to tip time. The food was inventive and very flavorful. Maybe a little overpriced but not by much. We'll definitely go back soon. I'm impressed how coordinated the restaurant was. Also, The Hemingway cocktail was delicious and not too boozy. Great beer and wine selection. Try it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- moreldownstairsdannDined on 11/14/2014Great service, fantastic food wonderful selection of wines but, bring your earplugs it can get very noisy would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Emerging with StrengthProntomacVIPDined on 11/11/2014Morel has only been opened a short time but already demonstrates the poise and professionalism you expect in supervising floor management, kitchen/chef talent and timing and high quality and innovation in the food. I have been twice and can't wait for the season when the "morel" mushroom or a truffle might appear on the menu! Strongly recommend reservation which can also be had at the Chef's counter if you like to watch the food preparation--quite impressive operation. Wonderful addition to the MKE higher quality dining scene. Go Go GoSpecial Features:
- Loud and UnevensavvydinerDined on 11/11/2014Decor is welcoming but it was difficult to have a conversation as the restaurant becomes very loud, and we were leaning across the 2 top table constantly to talk. The food was creative but one pairing of very hot, spicy greens with a sophisticated and subtle roast was incompatible. Wine list prices are exceedingly high for the selection.Special Features:
- Fabulous!KazybabyDined on 11/8/2014We had a wonderful dinner. Everything was packed with intense flavor. The unusual items on the menu should be tried, they are awesome! Server was very knowledgeable and gave a great wine recommendation to complement our diverse choice of foods. We will certainly be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday at MorelOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Overall, a terrific experience. So much energy and so willing to please. Loved the staff and the food was a 10. Will definitely return and bring new friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!JandADined on 11/1/2014A small yet wide menu will have us coming back. My wife and I went last Saturday. The celeriac soup was quite tasty as were the beef cheeks with brussel sprouts. Service was attentive and well paced. The server was informative and friendly. We will be back with friends and will tell others to come on dow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/31/2014The food was delicious and beautifully presented. The polenta topped with mushrooms & finished with aged balsamic appetizer was outstanding. Our server was very knowledgeable about the ingredients and preparation method of each of the items on the menu. Very pleasant ambiance. Extensive wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in MilwaukeeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/31/2014A great find. The mushrooms are out of this world. Pleasant service, and mouth watering food. Farm to table done right. Compares to restaurants in bigger cities. A Milwaukee treasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, great choicesTravel2EatVIPDined on 10/25/2014Loved this place! The food was outstanding. Polenta, mushrooms and a little bit of pork in an appetizer to die for. Could have had that foe an entree (server told us later others had ordered it as a an entree portion). Whole trout, short ribs, lamb chop with lamb sausage and veggies, duck confit with duck sausage - all wonderful! They make the butter, desserts, and more themselves. We will be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen TablebmaxDined on 10/21/2014A Great vantage point to watch the "Action" for the fantastic food & beverages that are terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+ in Walkers PointProntomacVIPDined on 10/16/2014WOW--this place os spectacular, adding another true gem to the several outstanding restaurants in Walkers Point. The chef is ambitious along with his young team that is very well orchestrated--even at this early stage of a new restaurant. It will be good to keep the menu on the small side for a while. I had mushrooms and the special ham biscuit -- truly outstanding--and the cocktail with Makers is also a gem. I think it will be hard to get into Morel for a while--so book early--and support all the other good restaurants in the area too!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun atmosphere, but very rich foodLetshavedinner2Dined on 10/16/2014The limited but unusual menu, made selecting something harder. We started off with two appetizers, cheese platter which was delicious and the mushroom salad. The salad had several different mushrooms in it. One of us liked it, the other didn't (thought it was flavorless). For our entree, one had braised beef, the other the trout. The beef was fairly fatty, which was unappetizing, but flavorful. The trout was good, but again, after eating, felt uncomfortable (too much grease/oily taste). We did not order dessert as neither was hungry nor felt that great. The service was perfect: attentive and very pleasant, the atmosphere was fun, and the crowd was having a good time.Special Features:
- great foodTommyDined on 10/11/2014Server was attentive and overall service was good. That said the food was great from the starters to the dessert. Working backward, we shared all four of the desserts offered that evening all good none out of this world. The pumpkin cheese cake was light and airy. Both the pear and apple tarts w/ corresponding ice creams were well done and not to sweet and the chocolate ganache (sp?) was good but not as gooey as others we have had. The entrees we had were all very well done and flavorful. The pork chop was more like a veal chop and according to the folks I was with the best of the four entrees we sampled. The pheasant which I ordered with some of the creamiest polenta I have ever had was far better in my opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gastronomic Celebration!LagillDined on 10/10/2014Our experience at Morel was a palate pleasing, sensory satisfying, and gastronomically grand celebration! My husband and I shared the cauliflower soup, mushrooms atop creamy polenta, roasted rabbit atop micro-mustard greens, pork tenderloin atop collards, and the molten chocolate cake with bacon brittle for dessert. Every bite of food exploded with freshness, flavor, and fortitude. We can't wait for our next adventure at this exciting new Milwaukee restaurant. The service was OUTSTANDING as well! We would definitely recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal and servicepianogirlDined on 10/10/2014My friend and I went for an early Friday dinner recently. Although the menu is not extensive, they have an eclectic choice of various meats, seafood and vegetables. The ambiance was contemporary but retained a lot of the "old building" character. Our appetizer and entrees were very good and the server was attentive but not intrusive. We will definitely return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top MKE RestaurantTravelnFoodDined on 10/4/2014There's a great rustic atmosphere to the restaurant that has a tasteful mushroom theme. The drinks throughout were a big hit with our group (signature cocktails, wine, specialty coffee). But the food was an even bigger hit. We started with a burrata and heirloom tomato flatbread and a wild mushroom fricassee over the creamiest polenta. The mushroom dish was out of this world with flavor and texture. For the mains we had rabbit leg, beef cheek, and filet medallions. All were good but out of these the rabbit leg was the clear winner with meat falling off the bone and melting in your mouth. We ended with chocolate souffle and pumpkin cheesecake which were great, not out of this world but we all enjoyed it. Overall an A+++.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique, inviting, deliciousPapooseDined on 9/30/2014Morel is worth the experience. New menu every day, high quality ingredients, management and staff have an intimate and committed manor to the whole experience. Service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014The food pairings were excellent. The sauces were remarkably smooth and enhanced the entree. It was a delightful experience!Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We had a wonderful evening, everything that we ate from the starters to the pumpkin cheesecake was unbelievable! We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious if priceydadandaonDined on 9/27/2014My date choose to come here and I'm glad we did. She had the duck and I had the pork chop (they ran out of beef cheeks) after the flatbread appetizer. We also had desert. Everything was excellent except for the desert, which was essentially a dry sweetbread. Our server was knowledgeable and fun. With wine and tip, our bill amounted to $140 for two. Still a very romantic environment.Special Features:
- AwesomeKayKDined on 9/26/2014The food at Morel was ethereal! It transported me to another space and time. It was superb. I had the hedgehog mushroom and polenta which was out of this world. I also have beef cheek it was braised so wonderfully, tender, flavorful. I haven't had food prepared so well in a while and I look forward to the next time I'm in Milwaukee to back!Special Features:
- B-Day CelebrationNewspotsDined on 9/24/2014Very laid back atmosphere with excellent food. Well crafted cocktails. Service was very attentive and informative selling the menu and preparations. Four in our party; trout, duck, and lamb chop were prefect with excellent presentation. Pork chop had great flavor but not cooked to correct temperature, pink is fine, but the thick chop was a little raw near the bone. Desserts were terrific as well. Will go back to this new up and comer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!joeyboomDined on 9/20/2014After 3 days I'm still thinking about the wild mushroom and polenta app as well as the pork belly. We will be back soon and have told many people about the great meal and service, Thanks again.Special Features:
- DEEELICIOUS!MradtkeDined on 9/13/2014We tried Morel for our anniversary, and were not disappointed! The food was fantastic! Lick-the-plate-clean! We started with a mushroom fricassee (at a place called Morel, you have to do the mushroom starter, right?) and the Pork Belly. They were both so good, I could have ordered another of each as my meal! Then dinner was Duck Confit (YUM) and Beef Cheeks. OMG! Beef Cheeks? I was told they were similar to short ribs in texture...but they were even better. SO GOOD! Dessert was chocolate cake - it was good, but was outshone by everything else. The craft cocktails were also delicious. I HIGHLY recommend this place. And they've only been open 7 weeks! Amazing! FANTASTIC!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special PlaceMKEdinerVIPDined on 9/12/2014Morel is fairly new to the Milwaukee dining scene and a welcome addition it is! This was our second visit to this fine establishment and couldn't wait to get back after the first. The service at this restaurant is outstanding with very professional and knowledgable staff. Excellent explanation of food features and specials with welcome recommendations. The mushroom starter was terrific and both the trout and rabbit entrees were delicious. Wine by the glass options are first rate. Nice dessert selection added to the overall top notch dining experience. Can't wait to get back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!WannabefoodieDined on 9/12/2014To start, We had an melon salad. that was really good. It had a little chili on ot so it was little spicy. My husband had the pork tenderloin & I had the special, lamb with pasta in an olive oil base. Both were amazing! For dresser, had the chocolate soufflé which was so yummy! The G&T was a great drink. They make their own tonic so you can barely taste the fun, could be dangerous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time dining, it was great!SchnigsDined on 9/11/2014The menu was one page and changes daily which I love. Food was great, as was our service. We split a couple appetizers and then each got a main dish. Portion sizes were perfect for two. The rainbow trout was flavorful, and we also loved the tomato flat breads. Would definitely dine here again and try something new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newcomer to Milwaukee Fine DiningJeffDined on 9/10/2014Enjoyed our visit to Morel. Friendly staff in very nicely remodeled building. Food was very good and creative in its execution. Limited selection of entrees with adequate wine list; hope the amount of selections will increase. Appreciate the attempt to pair the food to the season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceChefADined on 9/9/2014This was my 2nd time in and I picked it not just for the food , but because it was a business meeting and BRAVO to Morel for minimal noise . The staff was friendly and knowledgable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MorelH2Ogirl12Dined on 9/5/2014I read previous reviews that stated that the noise level was very high. They were right. I really didn't think that I would be a big deal, but it was in fact very distracting. I ordered a pasta dish with lamb and my partner ordered the chinook salmon. The pasta dish was overall good, but the pasta was noticeably under cooked. My partner's dish tasted and smelled "fishy" which was less than desirable. The wine and drink list was exceptional and I very much enjoyed my beverages. The decor was very unique and rustic. Overall, I think this place has definite potential to become a foodie destination however, they MUST.. I repeat MUST get the noise level situation under control.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Left us coldmmackDined on 9/5/2014The place had a cold vibe altogether. Our server was aloof and seemed entirely disinterested. I ordered the salmon, which was overcooked and dry. The bed of greens was delicious, which I attribute to massive amounts of butter. When the server returned at last, she didn't ask how everything was or remark upon my untouched salmon, and when I told her, in an amicable tone, that the salmon was dry, she didn't apologize, but merely said she'd pass my comment along. I definitely wouldn't return here or recommend it.Special Features:
- CongratulationsHUNGRYFORMOREVIPDined on 9/4/2014Morel is admirably ambitious. All of the menu items sound delicious...and the ones we have tried are. It is a good addition to the dining scene. The service is good and the food is tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RlziggyRlziggyDined on 9/3/2014The owner has created a very unique mix of dishes that are not ordinarily found at other restaurants. The meat combination appetizer is outstanding.Special Features:
- Five-star foodHongKongFoodieDined on 9/3/2014Walking into Morel, one may not first think of five star food, but make no mistake, that is exactly what you will be eating. We chose the buratta and apricot starter, and the pork belly. The sauce on the pork belly alone was worth the trip. The buratta and apricot on the flatbread was tantalizing, but adding some of the tossed greens to it took it to a completely different level. For entrees, we had the lamb, the duck, and the quail. The quail was cooked to perfection. The duck sausage and duck bacon were like nothing I've ever tasted. But the lamb was the star. For dessert; Roasted peach puff pastry balanced perfectly between the sugar and pastry; warm rich clafoutis; and a deliciously unique goat cheesecake. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.