430 S. Second St
Milwaukee, WI 53204Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.morelmke.com/
- Phone: 4148970747x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday through Thursday 5:00pm-9:00pm
Friday and Saturday 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Manyo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Morel
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Morel - Best Restaurants in Milwaukee ›
Morel reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (72)neighborhood gem (46)special occasion (37)hot spot (31)romantic (29)notable wine list (18)good for groups (13)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Kitchen TablebmaxDined on 10/21/2014A Great vantage point to watch the "Action" for the fantastic food & beverages that are terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+ in Walkers PointProntomacVIPDined on 10/16/2014WOW--this place os spectacular, adding another true gem to the several outstanding restaurants in Walkers Point. The chef is ambitious along with his young team that is very well orchestrated--even at this early stage of a new restaurant. It will be good to keep the menu on the small side for a while. I had mushrooms and the special ham biscuit -- truly outstanding--and the cocktail with Makers is also a gem. I think it will be hard to get into Morel for a while--so book early--and support all the other good restaurants in the area too!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun atmosphere, but very rich foodLetshavedinner2Dined on 10/16/2014The limited but unusual menu, made selecting something harder. We started off with two appetizers, cheese platter which was delicious and the mushroom salad. The salad had several different mushrooms in it. One of us liked it, the other didn't (thought it was flavorless). For our entree, one had braised beef, the other the trout. The beef was fairly fatty, which was unappetizing, but flavorful. The trout was good, but again, after eating, felt uncomfortable (too much grease/oily taste). We did not order dessert as neither was hungry nor felt that great. The service was perfect: attentive and very pleasant, the atmosphere was fun, and the crowd was having a good time.Special Features:
- great foodTommyDined on 10/11/2014Server was attentive and overall service was good. That said the food was great from the starters to the dessert. Working backward, we shared all four of the desserts offered that evening all good none out of this world. The pumpkin cheese cake was light and airy. Both the pear and apple tarts w/ corresponding ice creams were well done and not to sweet and the chocolate ganache (sp?) was good but not as gooey as others we have had. The entrees we had were all very well done and flavorful. The pork chop was more like a veal chop and according to the folks I was with the best of the four entrees we sampled. The pheasant which I ordered with some of the creamiest polenta I have ever had was far better in my opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gastronomic Celebration!LagillDined on 10/10/2014Our experience at Morel was a palate pleasing, sensory satisfying, and gastronomically grand celebration! My husband and I shared the cauliflower soup, mushrooms atop creamy polenta, roasted rabbit atop micro-mustard greens, pork tenderloin atop collards, and the molten chocolate cake with bacon brittle for dessert. Every bite of food exploded with freshness, flavor, and fortitude. We can't wait for our next adventure at this exciting new Milwaukee restaurant. The service was OUTSTANDING as well! We would definitely recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal and servicepianogirlDined on 10/10/2014My friend and I went for an early Friday dinner recently. Although the menu is not extensive, they have an eclectic choice of various meats, seafood and vegetables. The ambiance was contemporary but retained a lot of the "old building" character. Our appetizer and entrees were very good and the server was attentive but not intrusive. We will definitely return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top MKE RestaurantTravelnFoodDined on 10/4/2014There's a great rustic atmosphere to the restaurant that has a tasteful mushroom theme. The drinks throughout were a big hit with our group (signature cocktails, wine, specialty coffee). But the food was an even bigger hit. We started with a burrata and heirloom tomato flatbread and a wild mushroom fricassee over the creamiest polenta. The mushroom dish was out of this world with flavor and texture. For the mains we had rabbit leg, beef cheek, and filet medallions. All were good but out of these the rabbit leg was the clear winner with meat falling off the bone and melting in your mouth. We ended with chocolate souffle and pumpkin cheesecake which were great, not out of this world but we all enjoyed it. Overall an A+++.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique, inviting, deliciousPapooseDined on 9/30/2014Morel is worth the experience. New menu every day, high quality ingredients, management and staff have an intimate and committed manor to the whole experience. Service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014The food pairings were excellent. The sauces were remarkably smooth and enhanced the entree. It was a delightful experience!Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We had a wonderful evening, everything that we ate from the starters to the pumpkin cheesecake was unbelievable! We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious if priceydadandaonDined on 9/27/2014My date choose to come here and I'm glad we did. She had the duck and I had the pork chop (they ran out of beef cheeks) after the flatbread appetizer. We also had desert. Everything was excellent except for the desert, which was essentially a dry sweetbread. Our server was knowledgeable and fun. With wine and tip, our bill amounted to $140 for two. Still a very romantic environment.Special Features:
- AwesomeKayKDined on 9/26/2014The food at Morel was ethereal! It transported me to another space and time. It was superb. I had the hedgehog mushroom and polenta which was out of this world. I also have beef cheek it was braised so wonderfully, tender, flavorful. I haven't had food prepared so well in a while and I look forward to the next time I'm in Milwaukee to back!Special Features:
- B-Day CelebrationNewspotsDined on 9/24/2014Very laid back atmosphere with excellent food. Well crafted cocktails. Service was very attentive and informative selling the menu and preparations. Four in our party; trout, duck, and lamb chop were prefect with excellent presentation. Pork chop had great flavor but not cooked to correct temperature, pink is fine, but the thick chop was a little raw near the bone. Desserts were terrific as well. Will go back to this new up and comer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!joeyboomDined on 9/20/2014After 3 days I'm still thinking about the wild mushroom and polenta app as well as the pork belly. We will be back soon and have told many people about the great meal and service, Thanks again.Special Features:
- DEEELICIOUS!MradtkeDined on 9/13/2014We tried Morel for our anniversary, and were not disappointed! The food was fantastic! Lick-the-plate-clean! We started with a mushroom fricassee (at a place called Morel, you have to do the mushroom starter, right?) and the Pork Belly. They were both so good, I could have ordered another of each as my meal! Then dinner was Duck Confit (YUM) and Beef Cheeks. OMG! Beef Cheeks? I was told they were similar to short ribs in texture...but they were even better. SO GOOD! Dessert was chocolate cake - it was good, but was outshone by everything else. The craft cocktails were also delicious. I HIGHLY recommend this place. And they've only been open 7 weeks! Amazing! FANTASTIC!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special PlaceMKEdinerVIPDined on 9/12/2014Morel is fairly new to the Milwaukee dining scene and a welcome addition it is! This was our second visit to this fine establishment and couldn't wait to get back after the first. The service at this restaurant is outstanding with very professional and knowledgable staff. Excellent explanation of food features and specials with welcome recommendations. The mushroom starter was terrific and both the trout and rabbit entrees were delicious. Wine by the glass options are first rate. Nice dessert selection added to the overall top notch dining experience. Can't wait to get back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!WannabefoodieDined on 9/12/2014To start, We had an melon salad. that was really good. It had a little chili on ot so it was little spicy. My husband had the pork tenderloin & I had the special, lamb with pasta in an olive oil base. Both were amazing! For dresser, had the chocolate soufflé which was so yummy! The G&T was a great drink. They make their own tonic so you can barely taste the fun, could be dangerous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time dining, it was great!SchnigsDined on 9/11/2014The menu was one page and changes daily which I love. Food was great, as was our service. We split a couple appetizers and then each got a main dish. Portion sizes were perfect for two. The rainbow trout was flavorful, and we also loved the tomato flat breads. Would definitely dine here again and try something new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newcomer to Milwaukee Fine DiningJeffDined on 9/10/2014Enjoyed our visit to Morel. Friendly staff in very nicely remodeled building. Food was very good and creative in its execution. Limited selection of entrees with adequate wine list; hope the amount of selections will increase. Appreciate the attempt to pair the food to the season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceChefADined on 9/9/2014This was my 2nd time in and I picked it not just for the food , but because it was a business meeting and BRAVO to Morel for minimal noise . The staff was friendly and knowledgable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MorelH2Ogirl12Dined on 9/5/2014I read previous reviews that stated that the noise level was very high. They were right. I really didn't think that I would be a big deal, but it was in fact very distracting. I ordered a pasta dish with lamb and my partner ordered the chinook salmon. The pasta dish was overall good, but the pasta was noticeably under cooked. My partner's dish tasted and smelled "fishy" which was less than desirable. The wine and drink list was exceptional and I very much enjoyed my beverages. The decor was very unique and rustic. Overall, I think this place has definite potential to become a foodie destination however, they MUST.. I repeat MUST get the noise level situation under control.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Left us coldmmackDined on 9/5/2014The place had a cold vibe altogether. Our server was aloof and seemed entirely disinterested. I ordered the salmon, which was overcooked and dry. The bed of greens was delicious, which I attribute to massive amounts of butter. When the server returned at last, she didn't ask how everything was or remark upon my untouched salmon, and when I told her, in an amicable tone, that the salmon was dry, she didn't apologize, but merely said she'd pass my comment along. I definitely wouldn't return here or recommend it.Special Features:
- CongratulationsHUNGRYFORMOREDined on 9/4/2014Morel is admirably ambitious. All of the menu items sound delicious...and the ones we have tried are. It is a good addition to the dining scene. The service is good and the food is tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RlziggyRlziggyDined on 9/3/2014The owner has created a very unique mix of dishes that are not ordinarily found at other restaurants. The meat combination appetizer is outstanding.Special Features:
- Five-star foodHongKongFoodieDined on 9/3/2014Walking into Morel, one may not first think of five star food, but make no mistake, that is exactly what you will be eating. We chose the buratta and apricot starter, and the pork belly. The sauce on the pork belly alone was worth the trip. The buratta and apricot on the flatbread was tantalizing, but adding some of the tossed greens to it took it to a completely different level. For entrees, we had the lamb, the duck, and the quail. The quail was cooked to perfection. The duck sausage and duck bacon were like nothing I've ever tasted. But the lamb was the star. For dessert; Roasted peach puff pastry balanced perfectly between the sugar and pastry; warm rich clafoutis; and a deliciously unique goat cheesecake. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what a gem!urbanfoodieDined on 8/30/2014My wife and I dined here on a Saturday night, and the place was definitely jumping. If you like a quiet, candlelit table where you can whisper, Morel is not for you. Now, we like it noisy and hopping, so we thought the atmosphere was great. On top of that, the food was to die for. We had two appetizers (mushrooms and a pork dish that was just outstanding) and then we split an entrée or "main" (duck confit). The duck was perfectly prepared and it ended up being exactly the right amount of food for both of us. Nonetheless, we had to go with the goat cheesecake for dessert, which was also ridiculously good. And the service was prompt and non-intrusive and simply excellent. With wine, it was under $100, so a good value too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TortugitaTortugitaDined on 8/30/2014Outstanding melon feta salad and pheasant entree. Timing of serving a bit too slowSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morel marvelous!amelaDined on 8/30/2014Delicious food from start to finish! Will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- BigiconDined on 8/29/2014This restaurant is a real find. The menu has a nice selection of starters and main dishes. The food quality, it's preparation and presentation were top notch. The wait staff was friendly, knowledgeable and proactive in responding to our needs. Pricing is moderate. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must TryOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/26/2014All of the food was very good. Most ingredients are locally sourced and definitely seasonal. The wine by the glass selection is limited but each have been expertly chosen. I will definitely return with family and friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavors spot onphfoodieDined on 8/23/2014For a newly opened restaurant, the waiters, chefs and bartenders worked together flawlessly. We sat at the bar overlooking the kitchen. I was amazed on how little communication there was on the line. Everybody knew what they had to do and food was put out to perfection. It was the early in the evening, so we had a chance to say a few words to the chefs while they were cooking. You could see there was great pride in what they were putting out. If I could say one bad thing about the restaurant, it would be that the owner did not stop by to introduce himself. He appears to be a very quiet person, but this could make or break a restaurant. He could see we were talking with his chefs. Take the time to show your patrons that you care!Special Features:
- Great New FindOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014Wonderful dining experience. Food and service very good. One of the best restaurants we have been to in Milwaukee. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/16/2014Stopped in for a 7:30 dinner on a recent Saturday night and the noise level was close to unbearable. Love the rustic décor, but mostly hard surfaces make it difficult to hear anything, including the people at your own table. The food and cocktails are very good; once the noise problem is figured out, should be a neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- eafkayeDined on 8/14/2014We were very disappointed with our experience at Morel. The pheasant terrine starter was nice, but after that, food choices and presentation were overly elaborate, to the detriment of the quality and taste of the food. Lamb dish included 3 types of lamb in a lamb reduction sauce, trout dish was very greasy. None of the desserts looked good or interesting; all choices were sweet/savory matchings, with too many competing flavors. No after-dinner drinks were available. The wine list left much to be desired (by the glass OR bottle). Service was good. Simpler, fresher food seasoned well, or simple interesting pairings would have been more to our liking. These dishes were, for lack of a better word, too 'busy'.
- Cooks are CoolKissthecook2XDined on 8/12/2014We were seated at the "kitchen" table and were able to view the cooks and their expert abilities. They were all friendly and chatty which was so much fun. Our server did not skip a beat and kept us very well served. Food is creative and excellent. I will look forward to my next visit. The restaurant is spacious and very relaxing.Special Features:
- Delicious options for all!HappyVeganDined on 8/12/2014My family and I had a wonderful dining experience at Morel. The inviting decor, skilled employees, and creative dishes pleased everyone from age six to 92. I even had a special dish created just for me to accommodate my vegan diet. We look forward to returning again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GolferVIPDined on 8/9/2014Great farm to table restaurant with a very creative menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good addition to MilwaukeeFoodie35Dined on 8/8/2014Nice menu of small and large plates. Beautiful decor and good cocktails, wine list is very good as well. Dishes are well prepared. The menu changes frequently; I had hoped to try the pheasant but it wasn't available the day I was there. Very good for those who love pork; they could use some additional fish selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodYellowflDined on 8/7/2014Not enough characters allowed here to accurately describe this restaurant. In short it was one of the best meals I've ever had in Milwaukee and I am beyond foodie. We couldn't believe it had only been open two weeks. Started with the pork belly app. I literally needed a moment after every bite to collect myself. My girlfriend exclaimed "this is orgasmic!" which drew looks and smiles from the other patrons dining at the bar. Had the duck and lamb entrees which were excellent and different in a very good way. Starter cocktails off Matt the Mixologist's menu. Excellent, tasty and different - all his creations btw. Service was spot on. A truly memorable evening. I just hope we can get a reservation once the word gets out on this place.Special Features:
- Great find!delight4gastroDined on 8/7/2014Morel has been open for under 2 weeks. The pheasant/polenta/green bean entree was outstanding. The flavor seeped from the bird to the polenta. The cheese, blueberry, salad, and bread was light and a great introduction to the rest of the meal. The bar was able to accommodate our taste for Negroni's. The service was personal and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.