383 Gellert Blvd.
Daly City, CA 94105Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.moonstarbuffet.com/
- Phone: 6509922888
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm, Saturday - Sunday: 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm, Saturday: 4:00 pm - 9:30 pm, Sunday: 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Ken Qu
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Moonstar catering is ready to make your event memorable. Enjoy five star quality cuisine from our experienced chef in a unique setting for you and your guest. You will like our dependability, large food selection and reasonable rate. If you prefer to customize a menu, our Catering Manager will be happy to work with you. Our goal is to provide quality consistent service and creative cuisine.
- Private Party Contact: Daisy Li 4155191140
A word from MoonStar Buffet
Established in 1991, Moonstar’s original San Francisco location was well known as the best upscale seafood buffet in the Bay Area. Now it is in Daly City. It's an unforgettable experience at Moonstar. The concept of Moonstar Restaurant is food driven with a menu offering a large selection of cuisine, including: Appetizers, Tapes, Salad, Sushi, Seafood, Noodle Bar, Wok Station, Charcoal Grill, Fruits and Salads. The quality of our food stands apart from the other buffet restaurants. We use only the freshest, highest quality ingredients and our unbeatable formula for producing excellent food at rock bottom prices. Great food, great fun and great atmosphere, Moonstar has earned a reputation for excellence in hosting parties, weddings, anniversary, birthday, newborn baby receptions, cooperate events, memorial service or business meetings. Our facility can accommodate up to 500 guest or catering service up to thousands. You've never had a real buffet until you come to Moonstar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
MoonStar Buffet reviews from OpenTable diners
- VERY FRIENDLY STAFFJMORENDined on 7/29/2013THEY WERE GOOD ABOUT RESERVATIONS AND VERY FRIENDLY--I ENJOYED MYSELF.Special Features:
- Great food, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 7/13/2013We ate here one week day evening around 7:30pm. The place was packed with tons of families. However, when we mentioned OpenTable, we were seated immediately when there were about five other groups waiting for tables. High marks for that. The food was wonderful, and we left stuffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Station Temps2twokewtDined on 7/12/2013Although all the food was good, I am not convinced that the hot tables were kept at 140 degrees. Each item I got from the steam table was lukewarm at best. Not sure I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dear Sirs; Took my wife JanetmoliDined on 6/22/2013Dear Sirs; Took my wife Janet there we have a table but were very late due to traffic we left to late. The service was wonderful. It was her birthday 69 years young we have been there for years and when it was downtown San Francisco Market street. It is very romantic to us. You gave us the Birthday special,Thank you!! Bill Walsh and Janet and friends.. P.S. Wonderful niteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There was a lot of selection,luv2eatDined on 5/17/2013There was a lot of selection, even for the most picky eater. Sushi was fresh, and seafood selection was also fresh- oysters, crab legs, crawdads, shrimp. Chinese dishes were prepared well, not salty nor oily. Especially liked the mixed vegetables, the roast pork and the garlic chicken. Did not care for the clams with black bean sauce- tasted like they steamed clams separately the black bean sauce did not blend into the clams. Was good eating experience. Lots of food !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Experience Ever!!!!!!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/9/2013Service and respecting your customers has to be the worst i've ever experienced!!!!, Went there for a child's birthday dinner ( his choice) upon finishing dinner, staff accused child (12 years old) of being over height requirement for child service, Not so, he's actually a few inches under limit. When we asked to see a manager , no one ever appeared, and staff continuously looked for full payment. Not looking for anything free, was only the principal of the issue at heart. Will Not Be returning to the unethical establishment again! What a way to treat a child!
- Always a great place to goOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/1/2013Always a great place to go and eat....eat almost anything!! Quick, friendly service!Special Features:
- Good variety of food- sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2012Good variety of food- sushi , cooked hot food. Has noddles station & crepe station.Special Features:
- Hungry?JobudDined on 12/25/2012If you are hungry, really, really hungry, then this is the place for you. There is a wide assortment of offerings from sushi, sashimi to a chocolate fountain. It is definitely asian eclectic. Grilling to order, soups, and porridge (jook) all were available. This was on a holiday so I don't know if it is usually as bountiful but definitely no way one can leave hungry. The layout is a little awkward to go from booths to the buffet tables. The table seating is definitely not private but buffets are not for a romantic meal anyway. Food was kept moving so that it seemed quite fresh.Special Features:
- Our party was there on ChristmasCLJLVIPDined on 12/25/2012Our party was there on Christmas day. It may have been a big mistake to go on a holiday. Due to it being a holiday they raised the prices but did not justify it with better food. Mediocre - no particular dish stood out as being delicious. There was no service whatsoever, but gratuities were included on the bill at a premium. Go in expecting nothing and you may still leave disappointed.Special Features:
- Althought we had a reservation,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/22/2012Althought we had a reservation, there is a very long line. We went on Thanksgiving and it was packed and had long lines at the buffet. I would avoid a Holiday there in the future.Special Features:
- Quality and selection forVioletaDined on 11/7/2012Quality and selection for $22 dinner buffet is well worth it. Come there when you're hungry!Special Features:
- Better than most other "oriental"PlayitAgainDined on 11/3/2012Better than most other "oriental" buffets. Food is really fresh.Special Features:
- Not my choice to go there.EatoutoftenDined on 10/28/2012Not my choice to go there. The hostess initially sat us at the booth closest to the front door...there were plenty of booths further in & I had to request being seated in one of those. It was as if she was saving the booths further in for "special" people! The food is ok, not great or even special. I always feel as if I'm at Costco where free samples are being handed out & people are stampeding to get some!
- The freshness of the raw fishWendyDined on 10/27/2012The freshness of the raw fish was disappointing as it tasted as if it was from frozen previously.Special Features:
- Moonstar is a great all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/20/2012Moonstar is a great all around place for dining with family and friends. The buffet has a good variety of asian foods and the food is always hot and consistently flavorful and good. I like the fruit and salad, the sushi and the dessert. Love Moonstar!Special Features:
- getting turned off to it...LarryDined on 10/13/2012I've decided that this place isn't worth it! I have eaten here many times, but I never eat my money's worth, AND I'M AN EATER! For some reason, I get full here really easily, so the food is JUST OK, but the price is not. Eat less, save money, enjoy more times out!Special Features:
- the girl at the door , sheOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/10/2012the girl at the door , she need to give a little more attention to guest , and a smile sometime is nice to !! and when someone tell you , you have a reservation , check it !! i don't think i will go back , Food not very good , but what do you expect for this price !Special Features:
- Good value, some food overcooked.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2012Good value, some food overcooked. No spice in soups.Special Features:
- Worth a go!LarryDined on 8/16/2012Good all around Asian Food buffet. Nothing special, but nothing bad either!Special Features:
- Thinking that this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2012Thinking that this restaurant was connected to the MoonStar restaurant on Market/9th in SF way back. Food was fair but not comparable to the former restaurant. Could be the times, where the name of the game is volume and money vs quality of what is served. Oh well, it was a good try, I'm not saying it wasn't...unfortunately, not good enough to warrant another trip up from the south bay.Special Features:
- I booked a reservation onOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2012I booked a reservation on Wednesday to have dinner on Thursday through open table. Moonstar never received my reservation even though I presented the confirmation number and email. Luckily it they had an available table and were able to accommodate our small group of four. The food was good, the service was quick. However, the off beat drums were really annoying for all the birthday parties and celebrations. We also got 10% off because I was a healthcare worker and showed my ID badge.Special Features:
- Great selection of food evenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2012Great selection of food even this night when Open Table allowed us to make an 8:45 PM reservation only to find out that the kitchen closes at 8:30 PM and that none of the food would be replenished. We still managed to get enough to eat as the selection is so massive yet it would have been nice to get some of the other thigs and a full compliment of sushi. We will definately go again but not after 8 or so.Special Features:
- Worth the money!LarryDined on 7/30/2012Just your typical Asian AYCE place. Now, we're not just talking Chinese food, but ALL Asian foods (minus Indian!) Try it out, but note, the sushi is nothing more than California rolls with different toppings. Also, the deserts are just ok, and your typical AYCE desserts, with some small surprises...Special Features:
- The quality and selectionVioletaDined on 7/25/2012The quality and selection of their food have really improved. And unlike its competitor, Kome, there is no line to wait for main entrees. Plus, with parking right out front, it's very convenient to get to.Special Features:
- save your money!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/14/2012buffet was full of unhealthy food, and poor quality...yuck! the sushi was nasty, mostly california rolls and the one with the unagi (eel) on it was like a dried piece of mystery meat. it actually had the scaley skin on the bottom, tough and chewy..yuck! and the one called spicey tuna looked exactly like cat food. yuck! the salad bar was wimpy and wilted, dessert bar was pretty but not a big deal. don't go! don't waste your money. i wish i hadn't!
- Sadly these type of restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/1/2012Sadly these type of restaurants do not last long. We gad a similar Bob Chinn's restaurant back in Illinois that had free clams and oysters while you were waiting. That was years ago. No more free food now, and prices have skyrocketed. One day it will probably happen at this restaurant. There is something about having all you can eat ribs, chicken, oysters, clams, crab, sushi, sashimi. It is all your favorites at one time, it can spoil you!Special Features:
- good place, but food is worseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/23/2012good place, but food is worse than before, espacially sushiSpecial Features:
- Great Place, Full of FunOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/19/2012We love this place very much. We are not only using this place to celebrate birthdays but some family events because of the free dinning environment. Hundreds of food for people to pick. Great Place to have FUN and JOY !!Special Features:
- Blown away by the selectionTravelerVIPDined on 5/18/2012Blown away by the selection and variety available. But do pay attention to closing times. They clean up quickly!
- was a bit disappointed thisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2012was a bit disappointed this time. The quality of service was not as good as our previous visit. The food was good, but overall experience disappointing.Special Features:
- Food was GREAT! Sushi, sashimi,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/29/2012Food was GREAT! Sushi, sashimi, HK style food. The only bad thing is they can't find my reservation through opentable. weird. Good thing we came in at 6 pm to beat the crowd.Special Features:
- Not As Good As before...FreeSpiritDined on 4/20/2012They used to have much better sushi/sashimi section, what happened??? Chinese food section's okay, many varieties though. Seafood including cocktail shrimps and raw oysters are probably the best. Overall the dishes are overly salted and the sweet plates are overly sweetened. For dinner it's $24.95--Friday to Sunday. I don't think we'll go back there soon unless they show some improvements.Special Features:
- Food is good. Many varieties.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/8/2012Food is good. Many varieties. Our family comes here 3 times a month. Our kids and grandkids love it. Only complaint we have, the personnel rush you to finish as you as we get our deserts. Some of us, especially, the kids, they like to look at the desserts and very curious.Special Features:
- A variety of foods from differentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/6/2012A variety of foods from different cultural backgrounds, lots to choose from and a to die for dessert selection. Very kid friendly. You should defenitely have an appetite coming here or it's not worth it. More amercian sides to choose from would be nice since there is a lot of american main dishes. Overall if your looking for a buffet, this is def the place to eat.Special Features:
- Seafood and much more--all good.RizzimplestulskinDined on 3/16/2012Delicious. Easy to put together a delicious and varied meal here. Emphasis is on seafood, but you could be hungry and not like seafood and still find all sorts of good things. If you don't have a big party, try to sit along the windows, away from the hub-bub of the main room.Special Features:
- I wanted to eat more but couldn't!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/26/2012We went for Dinner as previous visit were for lunch. The food was delicious as usual. 3 different Oyster styles, Black bean Tripe, Roast Pork and Duck, Sticky rice Garlic Chicken, Giant clam. OMG, I didn't even go to the sushi bar or noodle bar. Only downer was it was very cold and had to eat with my jacket on...Special Features:
- I'm recommending to my friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012I'm recommending to my friends and relatives especially for any occasions, great variety of food.Special Features:
- Loved the food choices andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/11/2012Loved the food choices and everything I tried was delicious!Special Features:
- the guy,who distribute giantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2012the guy,who distribute giant clam,one a time per customer.I come back get another later he doesn't give no more.Is it restaurant policy?Can I go back to get some more or that is it.Does he harast customer?