1824 W. Division St
Chicago, IL 60622Neighborhood:
Bucktown / Wicker Park
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.moonshinechicago.com/
- Phone: 7738628686x
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday-Sunday: 10:00AM - 5:00PM
Dinner: Every Day: 5:00PM - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Chef Rojo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: email@example.com
A word from Moonshine
Welcome to Moonshine, an edgy, urban roadhouse conveniently located in Chicago’s fashionable Wicker Park neighborhood. This unique establishment’s friendly, yet anti-establishment ambiance is anything but contrived. Whether it is our highly successful weekend brunch complete with DIY bloody mary bar, a convenient casual dining spot with top selling burgers and late-night pizzas, its after dinner music grooves served up by some of the nation’s best known DJs, a good spot (with adjacent parking) to meet up with friends and take in a game on TV, steady lunch business or its best-in-the-neighborhood outdoor patio, Moonshine means different things to different people. Come in, put yer ‘shine on and see what all the fuss is about.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Moonshine - Best Restaurants in Bucktown / Wicker Park ›
Moonshine reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (14)great for brunch (12)great for lunch (6)good for groups (5)neighborhood gem (5)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (2)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)fit for foodies (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Terrible service!Jackiemr91VIPDined on 9/7/2014Came here last weekend and waited over an hour for our food which NEVER came out. Arrived at 1:15 and put in our order by 1:40. We were starving and keeping an eye on the kitchen and noticed barely any food had come out. After waiting over an hour until 2:45, our server finally came over and told us it would be Atleast another 20 minutes and he sugugested we buy burgers from the grill outside which they were making for craft fair attendees. He also said he'd get us fries from the kitchen to accompany. Well... we went and got the burgers, finished them, and still no fries. Waited another few minutes and were fed up so we got up and left. Not other word from our server who was not apologetic in the slightest degree.Special Features:
- I heart MoonshineSuperTasterDined on 8/23/2014Great food, great cocktails, great atmosphere and reasonable prices... What's not to love?Special Features:
- Great for brunch!SarahWDined on 8/10/2014Ate brunch on the patio there recently and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. The huevos mexicanos was one of the best brunch dishes I've ever had.Special Features:
- UnderstaffedMeglacDined on 6/22/2014I hate to say it but they were understaffed. The GM took our order and I think we only saw our server when she dropped off the bill.Special Features:
- Horrible Service and FoodchibucketlistDined on 6/21/2014We went for brunch and felt rushed to order once we sat down. Omelet was so dry and Eggs Benedict was cold. The worst biscuits and gravy, barely any gravy. Just overall bad experience. For the price it was a total miss.
- Overall, DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/8/2014I have been here previously for cocktails only and never had an issue, but apparently the Sunday brunch staff (all around) needed a morning pick me up as much as we did! We were sat outside and waited ten minutes (never seeing a server) before asking to move inside since it was a bit chilly, which shouldn't have been a problem since there were several open tables and we had a reservation. The hostess not too nicely informed us that since WE made the decision to sit outside, we would have to remain out there or else wait for the next open table, which would be about 45 minutes. We settled on sitting at the bar but still waited over an hour for our food to come out. Very disappointing experience. Will not go back here to eat.
- Ecellent Bloody Marys/BrunchBrunchedVIPDined on 6/8/2014What a find; excellent drinks and food at this corner pub. The brunch food was outstanding and plentiful; plus the brunch drinks - Blood Mary with the Bloody Mary bar was fantastic.Special Features:
- The following 58 reviews are from the Moonshine reviews archive.
- Decent Food - Poor ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/30/2014The manager and host gave my group a terrible table right where everyone walks into the restaurant. The issue, was there were at least 5 other open/empty tables available that they wouldn't seat us at because they were "holding them for VIPs." Give me a break. I'm never going back.
- Wonderful findJoJoDined on 5/25/2014We love exploring city neighborhoods. Loved getting the info and taking advantage of the online coupon. Wonderful surprise, we will be back again!Special Features:
- FitkathDined on 5/24/2014Lovely place for outdoor dining. Would definitely go again. Great Bloody Mary.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood Spoteb9729Dined on 4/6/2014A group of us were there for brunch with a few small children. Before we even sat down, we were asked if we wanted them to start an order of pancakes for the kids so they could eat sooner. This is a standing monthly brunch date among friends, and we try different brunch spots around the city. This is the first time we've been asked that. Needless to say, the service was outstanding throughout our meal. The food was excellent, too, and we took full advantage of their bloody mary bar. The pours in both the bloody marys and the mimosas was generous. Prices are very reasonable for the size of the drinks. We will definitely be going back to Moonshine for brunch or for a drink.Special Features:
- brunchgoofysueDined on 3/29/2014Service and hospitality was great. They are quick and the food and drinks were excellent. This is a place I will definetly go to againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingJChiDined on 3/29/2014My fiance and I had brunch at Moonshine after flying into Chicago. The place is very cute and has a parking lot which was great. He had the steak and eggs and I had the breakfast burrito. His steak was super gamey and quite grey. Not a good combination. My burrito had no flavor and only the pancakes were tasty. Honestly, the extensive alcohol options is what saved the meal. My mojito was delicious. Wouldn't go there again.
- Great food and serviceSarahPDined on 3/25/2014I went to Moonshine with some girlfriends before going to a show downtown. When we told our server we were in a hurry, they were very accommodating, serving us very quickly, getting our food out right away, and immediately bringing the check, all while being very pleasant. I will definitely being going back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch and drinks!cmg22Dined on 3/23/2014I went with a friend to use her Groupon, and we took additional friends to have a nice Sunday brunch . It was better than expected. Service and atmosphere was good. Sunday bloody mary bar was pretty good--lots of fixins! Mimosas good too. The "black an blue" mojito gets a thumbs up too. Food was pretty good. Steak and eggs good. Breakfast burrito good. Breakfast potatoes with entrees really good! Biscuits and gravy the best!! That was my favorite. Menu is somewhat limited, but overall a solid place to go with friends. Lots of tv's playing with sports and comfy couches so a good place to hang with friends that way too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great Drinks!RandyDined on 3/15/2014I just so happen to come the Saturday before St. Patrick's Day. There was nice size crowd so we sat at the bar in order to avoid waiting. I had a Living Social deal for brunch. The food was amazing and it came with two large cocktails. Best mimosas I've ever had! The steak & eggs were amazing as well as the French toast. I will definitely be coming back! Oh, the service was great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moonshine Brunch Was Awesome!JasonDined on 3/8/2014We went this past weekend with an out-of-town couple to celebrate our appearance on The Price Is Right (check out 9/30/13 episode!) and we were VERY pleased with both the food and drinks...and the price really was right! :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Beer SelectionOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/8/2014Food was decent, and the service was great. This is not a place for foodies, but really for a relaxed meal with opportunities to try very different beer options. Not sure a micro-brew, but a place with wildly different selections.Special Features:
- Good for Watching SportsLP21VIPDined on 2/4/2014Good for watching sports, good specials. Decent bar food, and I actually had a really good salad. Service was good and with a smile. Tables sticky. More of a bar than restaurant, but has its time and place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and sports watchingTadlyDined on 11/29/2013Buttermilk fried shrimp were fantastic! Nice beer list Lots of screens to watch Blackhawks OR soccer. A step above bar food, nice ambiance and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little placeLike2trynewplacesDined on 10/27/2013The brunch was great and so were the Bloody Mary's. The casual atmosphere was very relaxed and I would love to watch a Bears game there some Sunday. The Metropolitan coffee was an added bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, ok servicebuckeyegirlVIPDined on 9/4/2013loud on the patio due to all the cars going by but still nice outdoors. chicken tortilla soup very spicy but good. salad a bit old and gross lettuce and veggies. steak fajitas were delicious as was the char chicken with broccoli and mashed potatoes. service was very slow and a bit flaky but nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good overall, but asJaxJas12Dined on 7/25/2013Pretty good overall, but as we neared our completion of dinner, it was really tough to get our waitress over to our table. Mac&Cheese was excellent. Perfect portion. Mmmm...Special Features:
- Great food, long wait!AlopezrDined on 7/12/2013Made a reservation and was sat immediately, which I liked. Order our food and everything... An hour passed and nothing has been at out table but water. I even got time to go back to my car to pay for the parking meter. When I got back my food finally came out after an hour and a half. Once we started eating, I ordered the veggie burger which had an amazing taste with sweet potato fries. The service was not so great. I felt like our server forgot that we even order food. But besides that I loved the environment, great music playing. A great place to have great food and hang at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome patiobuckeyegirlVIPDined on 7/11/2013Great variety of food and drinks and awesome patio/locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is a bar, not a restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/4/2013I made reservations on open table to ensure we found a place that was open. When we arrived and informed the hostess we had reservations, she laughed. They really weren't that busy and had plenty of help, but it was very disorganized. There was definitely a draw in the back because all the staff disappeared at various points. They were pleasant, though. The food was OK, not bad, but nothing great. Not expensive, but no bargain either.Special Features:
- TerribleOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/18/2013Calamari was very over cooked and chewy. Service was atrocious. Steak fajitas had a strange texture likely due to being over cooked as well. Restaurant was more of a very loud pub. Much better places to go to in the surrounding area. One of the worst places we went to in this area of Chicago n
- Great Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2013Service is phenomenal and the food is delicious - the Bloody Mary Bar is a great addition too! We have been patrons of Moonshine for years and was please rely surprise when my parents loved it too - made it a great Mother's Day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We ended up being late andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2013We ended up being late and only having an hour to eat, the server was very helpful in keeping our meal moving and making sure we were never waiting for her. Food was delicious as well.Special Features:
- The restaurant was not openOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/20/2012The restaurant was not open at the time we booked, despite allowing us to make a reservation at that time. We will not be cooking parties there again.
- Not what I expected... alas.HeatherWildeVIPDined on 12/17/2012What a disappointment. I just didn't get the "sports bar" ambiance from the Open Table description and perusal of the menu. The fajitas were fine and the service, too. But the menu online seemed to make Moonshine seem a little more interesting and less "hangout-with- the-guys, drink, and don't pay much attention to what you eat- as long as it absorbs alcohol!" Alas. Won't be back again unless I am entertaining a bunch of 22 year-olds.
- Brewery on premises happiness!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/25/2012The food was prepared as ordered, and tasted mighty fine. I have been there twice now, once late night and once for brunch, so my experience is limited to fried calamari, quesadilla, and a breakfast burrito. I'll need to go back to experience more of their dinner fare. They have their own craft brews on tap, which is a big draw for me - and a beer flight is a mere $5, so you can try them all at very little risk. If you're looking for a conversation spot, this is not your best choice. The sound was up very loud both times, which was energetic, to be sure, but to the point where my companions and I couldn't hear each other unless we shouted.Special Features:
- We had a great time. GoodralphDined on 10/12/2012We had a great time. Good food. Fun menu. Great Service. Great beer selection.Special Features:
- Work party happy hour on aOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/21/2012Work party happy hour on a Friday evening, and it went really well! Had about 12-14 ppl. and the food was good (bar food) Try the FRIED PICKLES! MMMMM :) The waitress was attentive and clearly could handle a large group. They had the "Stella girls/guys" there doing a pouring contest/bracket which was interactive and fun.Special Features:
- I went with girlfriends forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2012I went with girlfriends for dinner, and we didn't realize it was a Michigan State bar and were there on a game night... made it pretty tough to have a girl's night out dinner, as we couldn't hear a word each other was saying. Other than that, the drinks were good & strong, the food was good. Fries were delicious, I had the grilled chicken sandwich which was everything I expected it to be. My only con is that I ordered coffee with Bailey's, and the server brought me an Irish coffee. I asked for another, emphasizing coffee with Bailey's, and she brought another Irish coffee, then the bill came and I was quite unpleasantly surprised. It was loud in there bc of the game, so maybe she didn't hear me... still. All in all, it was a fine place.Special Features:
- We had a large party (12 people)OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2012We had a large party (12 people) and they were very accommodating in letting us sit outside for dinner. Our server was so awesome and dealt with our large party w/o any complaints. She let us do separate checks which worked out really well. :) The food was AMAZING!! EVERYONE had ordered something different and were ALL happy with what they ordered. The prices were very well priced too! I'll definitely be going back there!Special Features:
- Awesome place for after workOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/23/2012Awesome place for after work dinner and drink. I had chicken wings and a burger for dinner. Great pricesSpecial Features:
- Good Food, Good Beer. 3.5/5OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/21/2012The Guacamole was a bit flavorless, but the beer selection was good. The craft beer list for $5-$6 a piece was very reasonable. We ordered the Pepperoni Pizza (delicious), a cheeseburger (surprisingly good), and the chicken sandwich. No complaints about the taste of anything! We did feel that our waiter was pushing us to leave, asking every 5 minutes if we were done with our food and wanted our check, but we still enjoyed ourselves. The atmosphere was nice, outdoor seating was pleasant. I would give 3.5/5 stars.Special Features:
- Had a great time last FridayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/20/2012Had a great time last Friday with my best friend. We really enjoyed ourselves.. The fried green beans were the best!!Special Features:
- Their locally brewed beersOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/6/2012Their locally brewed beers are excellent! Food selection is a bit weak. Had the taco's they were good. Great location in wricker park.Special Features: