1825 E. Moyamensing Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19148Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.moonshinephilly.com/
- Phone: (267) 639-9720
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: 4:00pm - 10:00pm (11pm on Weekends)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Vargo and Andrew O'Brien
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: Catering by Cuisine 365. Cuisine 365 uses the same approach as our kitchen. We provide fresh ingredients and a menu tailored for you at your consultation.
A word from Moonshine
Moonshine is a craft beer restaurant located in the heart of the Pennsport section of South Philadelphia. We focus on a fresh menu and a friendly atmosphere. With over 10 crafts on draught, a wide variety of bottled and canned beer, multiple selections of wine, and a menu consisting of old classics with a twist and some unique creations, Moonshine is sure to please any palate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Moonshine - Best Restaurants in South Philly ›
Moonshine reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (37)great for outdoor dining (19)fit for foodies (18)vibrant bar scene (16)great for lunch (13)hot spot (13)good for groups (11)great for brunch (8)late-night find (7)special occasion (5)kid-friendly (4)romantic (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great nightReenieDined on 11/14/2014We decided to check out Moonshine after a long week. We are so happy we did! The food was great (had macaroni and cheese, meatball, and ravioli) as were the drinks - the pear drink (I forget the name) was so good. The service was welcoming, friendly, attentive, enthusiastic, and accommodating. We will go back!Special Features:
- Good Time Moonshine!!MangoDined on 11/12/2014Seven Females friends of over 40 years having a "Girls Night Out". The Food was good, the atmosphere was good , drinks were good, drinks were good, service was superb, the stories/memories were PG 13 rated!! Not my first visit, sincerely won't be my last!!...Thank you, all!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EleanorDined on 11/7/2014Food delish! Friendly staff! No wait when we arrived! Seated promptly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & services!suzeDined on 11/4/2014Food is great with a different flare. Service is awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchluvthecoffeeDined on 11/3/2014If you go for brunch you must try the Deviled Eggs Benedict----unforgettable and deliciousSpecial Features:
- SHINE on MOON1psuVIPDined on 11/3/2014great as always-food, service-excellent. beer and food specials continue to good. wine list is getting betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointscrackcrabVIPDined on 10/25/2014The neighborhood eatery and bar is exceptional! Living around the corner, we eat here at least twice a month. Relaxed atmosphere, wonderful servers - Ashley this means you - great food. The menu is diverse - offering some traditional tavern foods but with a twist, i.e. the honey-lime wings are out of this world. We love that we can have "pickees" or choose to have an entree. The specials are to die for and can sell out. Yes, the food is that good. I don't think there is anything on the menu we haven't tried. Everything is great! They are a nice selection of craft beers and cocktails. They recently added brunch, which is delicious too. Try this wonderful restaurant/tavern, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014My husband and I enjoyed the restaurant so much we were there twice in a week. Our waitress and all the people who work there make you feel comfortable. The food comes out perfect temperature and is so delicious. I really enjoyed the drink specials. so we have a restaurant close to our house that is fun and tasty. I also heard from my sister that she enjoyed the outside seating. My husband and myself enjoy sitting indoors to eat but it great to have the option. Just thought I would drop a line to say how much I enjoyed moonshine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grandmom & Ashley!!MangoDined on 9/25/2014Celebrated my Granddaughter's 21st birthday, everything was great (as usual), forget our server name but she was superb!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food great beerCatDDined on 9/19/2014Besides a cramped table in the corner everything was good. The waitress nice, helpful/food was good.I just feel it needed to have better accompaniments. Example: the braised pork delicious,except it was all by itself on a plate. I had the ravioli-which were tasty but only 3 were in the plate( very tiny) with a nice and tasty grilled chicken. Beer selection for my friend was nice! All in all pretty good bar!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT NEIGHBORHOOD SPOTPennsportDined on 9/18/2014Friendly staff, good food, lievely place. Enjoyed by everyone in my party of 8.Special Features:
- Out of Town FriendsluvthecoffeeDined on 9/11/2014Had a bartender friend in from San Fran and he loved itSpecial Features:
- Affordable and delicious!NicholeVIPDined on 9/6/2014Interesting and tasty menu, great prices! I can see this becoming one of our go-to dinner places because of it's convenient location and great food. Also, moonshine drinks!Special Features:
- SeatingJae126Dined on 9/6/2014Everything was fine, except for the seating. We arrived about 5 minutes after our reservation time, and were told that there were no more dining tables available. Another waitress tried to cover it up by saying our reservation was in the bar anyways. So, for our reservation we were seated at a high table in the bar. My in-laws are both in their 60's and the high bar stools were not ideal. When I make a reservation, I do not expect to sit in the bar part of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Moonshine great neighborhood placetrina271Dined on 9/5/2014I had been wanting to try this place and di so on a recent Friday with friends from NJ. We all enjoyed the food the ambience and neighborhood feel. I will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MOONSHINE1psuVIPDined on 8/27/2014Moon"shines". special was soft shell crabs with fried artichokes-very good. haven't been disappointed yet.Special Features:
- continues to excel1psuVIPDined on 8/11/2014I had the crabcake platter which came with asparagus. both were done correctly. didn't need any condiments. my girlfriend had the cornflake crusted catfish-very good and inexpensive. the beer was great.Special Features:
- First timeDarylDined on 8/9/2014I went there for the first Time, staff was pleasant. Food and drinks were great. Defitnely going back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 28 reviews are from the Moonshine reviews archive.
- Perfect food and atmosphereswimmergirlDined on 7/26/2014We loved Moonshine. We do not go into the city much but will make it a point to go more to visit moonshine. The food was excellent. Specially enjoyed the veggi fondue. I never had Cod before and it was mouthwatering, and my husband had the chicken piccate raviolis, he did not want to stop eating. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gemcookEmomsterDined on 7/22/2014cute little neighborhood gem. great selection of craft beers. homemade potato chips are bangin'! good for lite fare, small plates. service was great. server went out of her way to make me an awesome rob roy. would def go back.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemluvthecoffeeDined on 6/27/2014I'm noticing a different crowd which is great, it means new people coming into Pennsport to try out this new hot spot. The food is great as is the vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Moonshine!GradLunchDined on 6/26/2014We cannot wait to go back! The food is incredible and the staff made us all feel welcome. We never waited for our drinks. Oh and the butterscotch cheesecake was amazing. Meatloaf Wellington is the best!Special Features:
- Great spotluvthecoffeeDined on 6/20/2014It's one of the best things that's happened to Pennsport. It's our new every friday in the summer spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/10/2014As a child I lived in the 1900 block of Moyamensing Ave.. and my friend's father "Milt" owned the bar. So this was a great experience for me, my wife, and our friends. We will certainly return and bring some other friends. Thank you for the great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014Food was not good. Sweet potato fried were greasy and soggy. Chicken salad was dried out.Special Features:
- Great food & drink!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/19/2014Went top Moonshine with my family after celebrating my daughters graduation. We were late for the reservation because of an extended grad ceremony but the restaurant was very accomodating despite our lateness. Great service and the food was delicious! Try the Sangria, out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- veneziaDined on 4/23/2014The appetizers - rice balls were delicious! And the salads were good but small. The entrees were just ok. I had the cod. It was ok. Friends had the crab cake and while they were big, the flavoring was not great. Desserts tasted boxed and old. Wish this place would take a look again at its' recipes because it could be a great neighborhood place to go.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/16/2014Very nice atmosphere, with a beautiful bar. All the staff were friendly; our waiter, Mike, was excellent. The food was very good with a beautiful presentation and the wine list was great and reasonable. Enjoyed it and will definitely go back again. A great new addition to the South Philly neighborhood.Special Features:
- Fun night outShorequeenDined on 4/5/2014The friendly, relaxed atmosphere was the perfect spot for our girls night out. The " moonshine" drinks were great ! Everything looked good on the food menu and everyone enjoyed what they picked. The staff were very accommadating. Definitely recommend this place to family and friends. We will be back!Special Features:
- Good place to go overallSnackyDined on 3/30/2014Everything was fine but after hearing commercials all week about this place giving a 20% discount with your same day Philly game ticket......the bar tender had no idea what we were talking about. That was disappointing since the commercial runs every 20mins on 97.5. The bartender did apologize and said he would talk to the manager about this.Special Features:
- Moonshine ReviewProduceGirlDined on 3/28/2014We had a table of 8 people and we sat up front across from the Bar. It was very tight. But, the food and the drinks were excellent. Service was very good and friendly. Bathroom was small but clean. It was awfully crowded. We were glad we made reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is the best! FeelsnannDined on 3/26/2014This place is the best! Feels like your in someone's home. Lots of neighbors & friendly people! Food is amazing!!!!!!!!!!! Servers are so friendly & helpful. If you need help with food choices or diet choices they do it for you. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- moonshine1psuVIPDined on 3/26/2014same as always-food, service, affordability excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moon"Shines"1psuVIPDined on 3/19/2014Been there on quite a few occasions. Have tried all the entrees-each one is unique and delicious. Service is friendly, and excellent, as well. Will return again and again.Special Features:
- Can't wait to return!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014Totally enjoyed the catfish and the slaw was great with a little zing! Looking forward to returning and sitting outside! I heard the wings are the bomb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Hooch" Up The Wagon And HeadSteadyeddieVIPDined on 3/1/2014"Hooch" Up The Wagon And Head For Moonshine: White Lightning has struck South Philly in the form of Moonshine -- a fun-tastic "must" for people who enjoy craft beers, specialty drinks and homemade classic dishes. The Brawler Fondue -- beer-battered veggies and/or pretzel nuggets -- is delish. I loved my customized burger, topped with hummus and pico de gallo; my wife raved about her Veggie Grilled Cheese with avocado, tomato, greens and cheddar on rosemary focaccia. The revelers at the bar can make the atmosphere noisy. But if you've been waiting since the days of Prohibition for a neighborhood bar and restaurant that offers good food ... good spirits ... good service ... at reasonable prices, "git yerself" to Moonshine. Ed S.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to the neighborhood.GavinDined on 2/27/2014This was my second time for dinner. The first time had to check it out, we had called and was told it was kid friendly but wanted to see for ourselves. They have a great kids menu. For the rest of us we loved trying the different drinks. The waiter we had was very friendly and helped us choose our entrees. I have loved everything we've ordered so far. Can't wait to go back. I gladly welcome this restaurant to the neighborhood. It's worth the drive for someone to travel for a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night Out!RayeDined on 2/21/2014This place was great. The food was fresh and delicious, the drinks were mixed well, the prices were reasonable and the crowd was full of energy. I will definitely go again, especially since I heard they will be expanding the menu and have outdoor seating when it warms up and since the service was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food n service was great .marcDined on 2/19/2014Food n service was great . First time I drank moonshine and i. t was great . For apps we had cheeseburger eggrolls , buffalo wing , pulled pork flat bread. Dinner we had ravioli with chicken Picata , n Ghnocci special. Everything was so good will definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MoonshineKc122562Dined on 2/14/2014This restaurant is such a great and excellent addition to the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.