1825 E. Moyamensing Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19148Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.moonshinephilly.com/
- Phone: 2676399720x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: 4:00pm - 10:00pm (11pm on Weekends)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Vargo and Andrew O'Brien
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: Catering by Cuisine 365. Cuisine 365 uses the same approach as our kitchen. We provide fresh ingredients and a menu tailored for you at your consultation.
A word from Moonshine
Moonshine is a craft beer restaurant located in the heart of the Pennsport section of South Philadelphia. We focus on a fresh menu and a friendly atmosphere. With over 10 crafts on draught, a wide variety of bottled and canned beer, multiple selections of wine, and a menu consisting of old classics with a twist and some unique creations, Moonshine is sure to please any palate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Moonshine reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)great for outdoor dining (18)fit for foodies (13)hot spot (12)great for lunch (11)good for groups (10)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (7)special occasion (7)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Out of Town FriendsluvthecoffeeDined on 9/11/2014Had a bartender friend in from San Fran and he loved itSpecial Features:
- Affordable and delicious!NicholeVIPDined on 9/6/2014Interesting and tasty menu, great prices! I can see this becoming one of our go-to dinner places because of it's convenient location and great food. Also, moonshine drinks!Special Features:
- SeatingJae126Dined on 9/6/2014Everything was fine, except for the seating. We arrived about 5 minutes after our reservation time, and were told that there were no more dining tables available. Another waitress tried to cover it up by saying our reservation was in the bar anyways. So, for our reservation we were seated at a high table in the bar. My in-laws are both in their 60's and the high bar stools were not ideal. When I make a reservation, I do not expect to sit in the bar part of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Moonshine great neighborhood placetrina271Dined on 9/5/2014I had been wanting to try this place and di so on a recent Friday with friends from NJ. We all enjoyed the food the ambience and neighborhood feel. I will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MOONSHINE1psuVIPDined on 8/27/2014Moon"shines". special was soft shell crabs with fried artichokes-very good. haven't been disappointed yet.Special Features:
- continues to excel1psuVIPDined on 8/11/2014I had the crabcake platter which came with asparagus. both were done correctly. didn't need any condiments. my girlfriend had the cornflake crusted catfish-very good and inexpensive. the beer was great.Special Features:
- First timeDarylDined on 8/9/2014I went there for the first Time, staff was pleasant. Food and drinks were great. Defitnely going back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect food and atmosphereswimmergirlDined on 7/26/2014We loved Moonshine. We do not go into the city much but will make it a point to go more to visit moonshine. The food was excellent. Specially enjoyed the veggi fondue. I never had Cod before and it was mouthwatering, and my husband had the chicken piccate raviolis, he did not want to stop eating. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gemcookEmomsterDined on 7/22/2014cute little neighborhood gem. great selection of craft beers. homemade potato chips are bangin'! good for lite fare, small plates. service was great. server went out of her way to make me an awesome rob roy. would def go back.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemluvthecoffeeDined on 6/27/2014I'm noticing a different crowd which is great, it means new people coming into Pennsport to try out this new hot spot. The food is great as is the vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Moonshine!GradLunchDined on 6/26/2014We cannot wait to go back! The food is incredible and the staff made us all feel welcome. We never waited for our drinks. Oh and the butterscotch cheesecake was amazing. Meatloaf Wellington is the best!Special Features:
- Great spotluvthecoffeeDined on 6/20/2014It's one of the best things that's happened to Pennsport. It's our new every friday in the summer spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/10/2014As a child I lived in the 1900 block of Moyamensing Ave.. and my friend's father "Milt" owned the bar. So this was a great experience for me, my wife, and our friends. We will certainly return and bring some other friends. Thank you for the great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014Food was not good. Sweet potato fried were greasy and soggy. Chicken salad was dried out.Special Features:
- The following 21 reviews are from the Moonshine reviews archive.
- Great food & drink!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/19/2014Went top Moonshine with my family after celebrating my daughters graduation. We were late for the reservation because of an extended grad ceremony but the restaurant was very accomodating despite our lateness. Great service and the food was delicious! Try the Sangria, out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- veneziaDined on 4/23/2014The appetizers - rice balls were delicious! And the salads were good but small. The entrees were just ok. I had the cod. It was ok. Friends had the crab cake and while they were big, the flavoring was not great. Desserts tasted boxed and old. Wish this place would take a look again at its' recipes because it could be a great neighborhood place to go.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/16/2014Very nice atmosphere, with a beautiful bar. All the staff were friendly; our waiter, Mike, was excellent. The food was very good with a beautiful presentation and the wine list was great and reasonable. Enjoyed it and will definitely go back again. A great new addition to the South Philly neighborhood.Special Features:
- Fun night outShorequeenDined on 4/5/2014The friendly, relaxed atmosphere was the perfect spot for our girls night out. The " moonshine" drinks were great ! Everything looked good on the food menu and everyone enjoyed what they picked. The staff were very accommadating. Definitely recommend this place to family and friends. We will be back!Special Features:
- Good place to go overallSnackyDined on 3/30/2014Everything was fine but after hearing commercials all week about this place giving a 20% discount with your same day Philly game ticket......the bar tender had no idea what we were talking about. That was disappointing since the commercial runs every 20mins on 97.5. The bartender did apologize and said he would talk to the manager about this.Special Features:
- Moonshine ReviewProduceGirlDined on 3/28/2014We had a table of 8 people and we sat up front across from the Bar. It was very tight. But, the food and the drinks were excellent. Service was very good and friendly. Bathroom was small but clean. It was awfully crowded. We were glad we made reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is the best! FeelsnannDined on 3/26/2014This place is the best! Feels like your in someone's home. Lots of neighbors & friendly people! Food is amazing!!!!!!!!!!! Servers are so friendly & helpful. If you need help with food choices or diet choices they do it for you. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- moonshine1psuVIPDined on 3/26/2014same as always-food, service, affordability excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moon"Shines"1psuVIPDined on 3/19/2014Been there on quite a few occasions. Have tried all the entrees-each one is unique and delicious. Service is friendly, and excellent, as well. Will return again and again.Special Features:
- Can't wait to return!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014Totally enjoyed the catfish and the slaw was great with a little zing! Looking forward to returning and sitting outside! I heard the wings are the bomb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Hooch" Up The Wagon And HeadSteadyeddieVIPDined on 3/1/2014"Hooch" Up The Wagon And Head For Moonshine: White Lightning has struck South Philly in the form of Moonshine -- a fun-tastic "must" for people who enjoy craft beers, specialty drinks and homemade classic dishes. The Brawler Fondue -- beer-battered veggies and/or pretzel nuggets -- is delish. I loved my customized burger, topped with hummus and pico de gallo; my wife raved about her Veggie Grilled Cheese with avocado, tomato, greens and cheddar on rosemary focaccia. The revelers at the bar can make the atmosphere noisy. But if you've been waiting since the days of Prohibition for a neighborhood bar and restaurant that offers good food ... good spirits ... good service ... at reasonable prices, "git yerself" to Moonshine. Ed S.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to the neighborhood.GavinDined on 2/27/2014This was my second time for dinner. The first time had to check it out, we had called and was told it was kid friendly but wanted to see for ourselves. They have a great kids menu. For the rest of us we loved trying the different drinks. The waiter we had was very friendly and helped us choose our entrees. I have loved everything we've ordered so far. Can't wait to go back. I gladly welcome this restaurant to the neighborhood. It's worth the drive for someone to travel for a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night Out!RayeDined on 2/21/2014This place was great. The food was fresh and delicious, the drinks were mixed well, the prices were reasonable and the crowd was full of energy. I will definitely go again, especially since I heard they will be expanding the menu and have outdoor seating when it warms up and since the service was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food n service was great .marcDined on 2/19/2014Food n service was great . First time I drank moonshine and i. t was great . For apps we had cheeseburger eggrolls , buffalo wing , pulled pork flat bread. Dinner we had ravioli with chicken Picata , n Ghnocci special. Everything was so good will definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MoonshineKc122562Dined on 2/14/2014This restaurant is such a great and excellent addition to the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely small -SilpugsDined on 2/8/2014Reservations 5:30pm & we got there it was packed. Place is extremely small. Called to our table in back at a table that was soooo small, I tried to sit down & could not. Then she offered us the one table top that was opened. They were squished together too. WE sit on the outside because the chairs on the inside could not move either. . I have to say, if I was not impress . No one tried to really make it better. I should have asked for the manager, but we just wanted to eat & leave at this point. The food was good. Not worth all the aggravation. Someone could have given us a free drink for our trouble. I am not sure I would recommend this place unless you go on off times or just try to get a seat at the bar. Good luck with that too.Special Features:
- Love MoonShine!NikkiDined on 2/7/2014I've been in the restaurant business for many years; this restaurant is where it's at! Easy reservations, greeted by a very friendly hostess and our table for 5 was reserved for us! Friendly and prompt bartenders! The dining room was full, but every table was set up for an intimate experience! Our server was clear with the additions to the menu and we were able to make our order shortly after. We had a few of the chef specials..AMAZING! ...Our entrees were timely and delicious..very fresh and new. All were very thought out and very innovative! You can taste the passion and experience, and the front of house was smooth and enjoyable! We loved how "homie" and part of the neighborhood we felt. Keep up your fantastic work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs some more 'ShineBTeufVIPDined on 1/18/2014Really want to like this place, as Pennsport really needs more decent dining options. But this place just isn't it. Outside of the fondue, everything we ordered was disappointing. The mac n' cheese was just bland, and the wings came with sauces that were right out of a Frank's bottle or were just plain honey. Our server was good, however the manager seemed to be really over-bearing on the staff, and at one point during our meal turned on the comically large TouchTunes jukebox machine to volume level where it made it difficult to hear each other talk. This was at 5:50 PM BTW. The place looks like a decent restaurant but they seem to be running it like it's a bar. It's no where near the level of comparable places in Queen Village/Bella Vista.
- We went for a "tailgate" priorsirmoogDined on 1/4/2014We went for a "tailgate" prior to the Eagles' game. The food was very good, and there are some interesting choices. I think they could use a little more help on the wait service side when it gets busy, but it was overall a good experience. Ask for Rich, he'll take care of you.Special Features:
- Great food. Great atmosphere.lisaDined on 12/26/2013Great food. Great atmosphere. Great addition to the neighborhood. Fun! Gotta have the chicken pesto gnoochiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moonshine is MagnificentChristinaDined on 12/9/2013This is a wonderful addition to the Pennsport neighborhood! Great service , excellent food, and real classy restaurant with superb staff and menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.