MoonShine - Modern Supper Club
55 Main Street
Millburn, NJ 07041Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
MoonShine - Modern Supper Club
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.moonshinesupperclub.com/
- Phone: 9732186042
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Klaus Kronsteiner
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off-site catering menus available.
- Entertainment: Music lovers will be enamored with live music Thursday-Saturday evenings + Sunday brunch—a sexy mix of acid/electric jazz, lounge and funk
- Cross Street: Millburn Ave
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Complimentary Secured Parking is always provided for your convenience at 75 Main Street / 1 Taylor Street (enter on Taylor Street) during the following hours:
Monday thru Friday - 6:30 pm until closing
Saturdays & Sundays - All Day
Holidays - All Day
Weekday mornings and afternoons please use surface street parking, or the restaurant is only a short walk away from Municipal Parking Lots (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6).
A word from MoonShine - Modern Supper Club
Contemporary American cooking executed with style, finesse and an "updated" comfort-food sensibility, featuring new takes on retro-classic dishes. MoonShine is a happy amalgam of modern regionally sourced cuisine with approachable, appealing dishes. The beverage program boasts an emphasis on seasonal specialty cocktails – original creations and updates on classics. 30 beers by the bottle and 20 draft lines will delight the palate of even the novice beer enthusiast. Prefer Wine? 50 wines by the glass, in 3- or 6-oz. pours coupled with another 50 bottle Reserve List from Old- and New World, with brief, vivid, helpful descriptions to assist w/selection provide a sanctuary for any professional wine swoosher. MoonShine Modern Supper Club is an instant new classic.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
MoonShine - Modern Supper Club reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (11)good for groups (11)neighborhood gem (10)special occasion (8)notable wine list (8)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (5)romantic (4)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- MoonShineBri2312Dined on 10/17/2014My husband and I have been to the MoonShine Supper Club several times. Each time, we order the Chef's tasting menu. The entrees on the tasting menu are always delicious. The speciality drinks are always excellent. The entire staff is knowledgeable and polite. We truly enjoy our dinning experience at the MoonShine Supper Club!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where was everyonePatrickVIPDined on 10/16/2014For Wednesday lunch before a Paper Mill matinee and I'm the only one in the entire restaurant -- that should have been a clue. Short rib sandwich with fries -- would be a decent lunch for $6.99 or so, but at $14 -- in this kind of place -- wow. Very nice server said the sandwich would be "moist" -- I didn't realize he meant so soggy with grease from the short ribs that you'd have to eat it with a fork. A piece of lettuce, tomato, pickle, or even an olive on the plate would have helped.
- Loved it!Kasey222VIPDined on 10/12/2014My husband and I went to MoonShine on a whim on a Sunday evening. The service was phenomenal (Jesus was our server) and everything was timed beautifully. We had the housemade ricotta to start & more toasted bread was offered before we asked (it's a shame when there is an amazing spread leftover but no bread!). It was delicious! I had the short rib entree & my husband had the mushroom ravioli. The sauce on his ravioli was to die for! My short ribs were yummy. Warm cookie dough dessert was AMAZING! They also have a GREAT cocktail list - I had the Ginger Side Car, which was delicious! They offer complimentary kids meals for each adult meal purchased, which we realized was probably the reason there were lots of small kids. Great for families!Special Features:
- Really nice dinner!nocooking4meDined on 10/11/2014We had a group of 6 and everyone really enjoyed their meal. The wine was excellent as well and the cocktail menu is very fun. The service was very good as well.Special Features:
- Fantastic BrunchNjpirateVIPDined on 10/11/2014Our second time there for brunch and already looking forward to the next one. Had the French toast which was maybe the best I've ever had while my wife had the duck and waffle for the main course. For the first course I had a lettuce wedge with all kinds of added items, cheese, orange segments,etc and a tasty dressing. My wife had the crepe with a chocolate sauce and berries which was out of this world. And the unlimited mimosas and sangria during the meal make it a real bargain at $30 each excl tax and tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new find!otissaDined on 10/5/2014LOVED our dinner on Sunday evening before the show at Paper Mill. Our service was excellent--competent and friendly, yet non-intrusive. Our cosmopolitans were the best ever and served beautifully. Wine and dinner were superb. I have already begun to spread the word!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunchhsmc78Dined on 10/5/2014Service and sangria were fantastic, I was disappointed with the food. Very blandSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale neighborhood restaurantnjtxfoodieDined on 10/1/2014I have been to Moonshine several times, but never had dinner there. I typically had drinks and food at the bar. Moonshine is a great neighborhood upscale restaurant. The restaurant gives you a great New York City vibe without the travel. I had the bravette steak. It was good, but not great. However, that may have been because of the cut of meat. The potato side was excellent. The creme brulee was wonderful! In fact, all the desserts I have had there were good. Additionally, all the food I have had on the bar menu was very good. The service can sometimes be off. However, the owner/manager, Victor is great and always very inviting.Special Features:
- Avoid This Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/1/2014Our appetizers were okay - lobster mac and cheese that was fairly mundane and a caesar salad that was okay... It was hard to find a bottle of wine for less than 60 but our cabernet sauvignon for 50 was also fine. Things turned sour with the arrival of the short ribs which were bone dry and tasted a lot like the burnt pot roast of childhood. We sent it back and yes, they took it off the bill and tried to soften our disappointment with complimentary dessert. However, the main courses at the table were only okay as well. What contributed to the overall poor experience was the erratic service. It took a long time to get our food and when our main courses arrived, they had forgotten the sides.
- MediocreDaveVIPDined on 9/13/2014Service was terrible. I had to ask 5 times for the candle to be lit. French fries were cold. Dessert was served without utensils and no server was available so we had to go searching on our own for utensils. Food was mediocre.
- So sadOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/9/2014Flavorless foods. Angry chef. Decent, but slow wait staff who we're polite but generally lack knowledge of the menu. Wife and I each ordered an appetizer with filet as the entre. Bisque was dull, lacking both savory and herbal flavors. The shrimp topping looked like something thawed from Costco. My wife's salad reminded us of something off of a deli line. Both of the steaks were ordered medium rare. One came out medium and the other rare plus. We thought about sending back but had just seen the chef throw a Hosey fit over someone who wasn't happy with a side of Mac and cheese. Even though the bar was nice we can't reasonably recommend to anyone.
- Worth returningPeskerBellhopDined on 8/9/2014Great bar and drinks menu. Great selection of beers. Good very good and varied. Something for everyone (meat eater and vegetarian!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened?Antelope2747VIPDined on 8/8/2014We had been going to Moonshine since we read about it in the paper and it got rave reviews. It used to be you walked in an the bar was packed and the restaurant was buzzing with people. So when we walked in on a summer Friday having not been there in 6 months and it was dead, we thought that was odd, but it was summer. Now we know why - the food has completely slipped. For example, the duck that used to melt in your mouth came to the table grey and old looking and not nearly as delicious as before. The creativity of the specials seem to be totally gone and our favorite dessert - the warm cookie dough that is cooked to order came to the table so quickly that there was no way it was cooked to order. Such a disappointment - won't be back
- an escape of a nightGinaMarieDined on 7/26/2014The eccentric food took us far away from the center of Millburn. The chef's take on pairing of different flavors had us wanting more. The restaurant is not quite at all and the chairs are a little bit lower than most but overall an outstanding experience. It may have been our first time there but definitely not our last!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will returnk1f2Dined on 7/11/2014I will make this as brief and simple as possible. The manager went above and beyond. I ordered the duck dish and was looking forward to it; however, it was not quite what I expected. I will not go into that b/c it does not matter. When the waiter came over to see how we were doing, I expressed my dislike of my food. He proceeded to send over the manager who immediately offered to replace the duck dish with anything else I wanted. Since I also like scallops, I ordered the seared scallops w/ bok choy. It was excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed my food. Initially we ordered the grilled octupus which was tender and delicious. I left the restaurant satisfied on all counts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lil NYC in JerseyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/10/2014Solid food. Good atmosphere. Attentive service (was a Thursday) Fun with a few couples.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- marblackDined on 6/28/2014I have been here several times. The food is always very good. The staff is friendly. The drink menu is interesting
- Lively Neighborhood RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/27/2014We have been to MoonShine several times since they opened - just to the bar for girl's nights or drinks and appetizers, to the restaurant for dinner and for group meetings. The service is also outstanding and the food is unique and delicious. Always fun drink specials or creative cocktails to be found and a great vibe!Special Features:
- This Place Is Worth A TryKathyMadisonVIPDined on 6/27/2014My husband and I went to this restaurant before going to the Papermill for a 7 o,clock show on a Friday night. Our reservation was for 5PM. When we arrived at 5, the bar was empty and the dining room was not even open yet. The staff was apparently having their evening meeting prior to starting to serve for the night. Bartender was attentive. We decided to sit at table in bar area and that is where we chose to remain for our meal. Our dinners were good but not great. My husband had the Grilled Spanish Octopus and the Summer Risotto and I had the 8oz Flat Iron Steak with a side of asparagus. We will go back but we will choose to eat off of the bar menu rather than the dining room selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 284 reviews are from the MoonShine - Modern Supper Club reviews archive.
- A Must for a Night OutMontLife1289VIPDined on 6/21/2014Impeccable food, outstanding service, and relaxing environment. Drinks perfectly prepared and the presentation of the food was very artistic.Special Features:
- Excellent dinnerLindaFDined on 6/7/2014We had a very lovely dinner at Moonshine. The server took very good care of us and the food was delicious. I loved the salad with the crispy shallots, so good! I will definitely return.Special Features:
- wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014Had dinner before Papermill show. Waiter was excellent and very attentive to make sure we made the show. Food was great. Mussels large and juicy, crab ravioli very tasty and gourmet-like. A great meal and a great waiter.Special Features:
- Great experiencefoodie81Dined on 5/31/2014Delicious food. Creative cocktail menu. Attentive, excellent service. Overall, a great dining experience. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:
- Great romantic dining experiencesharmsDined on 5/18/2014Went there for fiancee's birthday dinner on a Sunday evening. Place was pretty dead with only one other table of 5-6 occupied, with one more walk-in later; but that made for a nice quiet ambience and great conversation for us. Everything we ordered was delicious - Moonshine Punch for my drink, Tuna Tartare, grilled spanish octopus for apps; eggplant bisque with lemongrass soup; truffled local scallops gratin & braised short ribs for entrees; warm cookie dough & Profiteroles for dessert. As awesome as the food was, we felt the service was slightly lacking - mainly in terms of speed & timing. Our server though super nice was MIA for longer than anticipated in between each course. Service surely could have been more prompt. 1 point taken away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for weekend brunchScenic2Dined on 5/11/2014The special pre fixe lunch menu gives me just the right amount of food for $20 and the food is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not good if you are a foodieSpgcDined on 5/4/2014Not a good place for food. Not clean. No table cloths. Had to return my food and still hated.Special Features:
- JmkmDined on 4/26/2014The service and servers were great. The food was delicious and we had a wonderful time.Special Features:
- Excellent!RestauranthappyDined on 4/5/2014Always an excellent meal! Great service, great atmosphere and one of my favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eats and drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/5/2014I had not been to the restaurant in quite a long time but the experience was great! We were a party of four. We had cocktails first which were great then ordered a bottle of wine for dinner. The wine selection was plentiful and the prices were fair. Dinner was exceptional. We all had the branzino fish - it was well seasoned and delicious! Since we hadn't seen the couple we met - we wound up being the last diners to leave the main dining area. The staff was very accommodating and never rushed us to leave. We will definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still The Best in TownsnoopsisterDined on 4/4/2014We go here often. The food is always well prepared and the service pleasant. We'll be back.Special Features:
- You're kidding me!JoniBeeVIPDined on 3/31/2014First and last time! Restaurant & service were fine. Crispy gnocchi were swimming in a liquid with chunks of pork on top- it was really chunks of pork FAT, the kind that you can't chew and makes you gag! It was a Monday night perhaps it was a fill in chef, but I'll never know, I won't even give them a second try. I rated the noise level as quiet because there were only 6 others in the restaurant, if full I have no doubt it would be too noisy.
- Great placeDinnertimeDined on 3/31/2014Had a great birthday dinner, food was outstanding and the staff was great. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great brunchDecadentDinerVIPDined on 3/22/2014Enjoyed brunch - as always! Only thing I don't love is the mimosas - OJ from concentrate & tastes like the frozen kind you get at the grocery store.Special Features:
- Great placeEBdiningVIPDined on 3/14/2014This was a nice find. Made the reservation on a lark. Liked the menu and looked like a great place when driving through. Would recommend to others.Special Features:
- I recently went to MoonshineKikiDined on 3/8/2014I recently went to Moonshine to celebrate my birthday with a few friends. The atmosphere was wonderful, as was the food and service. The menu was filled with unique items & everything we had was phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food & Mood; Rookie StaffJerseyKVIPDined on 3/8/2014The food was delicious! Best calamari appetizer I have ever had. The duck was amazing, but sadly the accompanying stuffing (or was it potato?) was not. We were seated upstairs in a very nicely decorated room with large windows overlooking the street. Great music. The staff seemed like they had never worked before. First we were offered a table on top of the only other filled table in the room. We asked for another table, as did every party after us. Our server who told us our real server was busy, was unable to pronounce many of the words in the specials. The other busy server never appeared. The busboy asked us repeatedly if we were still "working" when he came to take our plates..."are you finished with your meal" -how hard is that?I would recommend this to a friend.
- has the Bar feelingceceVIPDined on 3/8/2014service was gruff, food was good, but they seems like amateurs at the restaurant business, more a bar that is opened early. wouldn't recommend it.
- Wish I could get those 2 hours backSoozDined on 3/2/2014Went for a birthday brunch and was able to make a reservation one hour before. When we arrived, the restaurant was only half full but our table was not ready. We were celebrating and were hoping for a festive atmosphere, but this restaurant is dull, dark and non-descript. The service was dreadful, the kitchen cancelled our ticket for no reason and we waited close to an hour for eggs. Finally, out came the smallest omelettes I've ever seen, hard and inedible and appeared to be some type of fake egg product! We had dinner at the bar about a year ago and had to send food back, but thought it was just an off night so we gave it another try. Still no good. Our waiter was sweet, but don't waste your money, I wish we hadn't!
- Brunch is prix fixe only,HappyCustomerDined on 3/2/2014Brunch is prix fixe only, but the prices are very reasonable - $20 for an appetizer and entree, and $10 more for unlimited drinks. The bread pudding was absolutely delicious. You HAVE to order that. The deviled crab and crepes were mediocre. And another friend wasn't too happy about the steak dish. Eggs benedict was good though the smoked salmon was on the salty side. The bread pudding really saved the day though. We all joked that we should have just ordered of those each! We would definitely come back just for that and the unlimited drinks. Ambiance is very nice.Special Features:
- Great mealNjanianDined on 3/1/2014The tuna tartar appetizer was delicious. We sat upstairs which was a little quieter than downstairs. Bar area was loud, but once away from that area is was quieter. Entrees were very good as well. Very enjoyable evening. Waiter was very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.