86 Sisson Road
Harwich Port, MA 02646Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mooncusserstavern.com/
- Phone: 5084301230x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Mooncussers Tavern
A wine, martini, tapas bar, with full dinner menu and specials, in Harwich Port Cape Cod, MA. Old world style with a modern twist.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Mooncussers Tavern - Best Restaurants in Dennis ›
Mooncussers Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (59)neighborhood gem (43)romantic (39)special occasion (35)good for groups (23)vibrant bar scene (21)notable wine list (11)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (4)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Service great, food above averageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014All but one of the 9 tapas plates we ordered were very good. The service was outstanding. Ownership/management was attentive and solicitous. Server was available, but not hovering and never interrupted.Special Features:
- At least they had music...jbreviewVIPDined on 9/12/2014After reading reviews on OT, I thought the food would be really great. Unfortunately, the food was only decent and the service was absolutely terrible. The only thing saving this place is the live music. I would not recommend this place and I would not return.
- Mooncussers New England ClassicPicklesDined on 9/9/2014Mooncussers is a step back in time with great ambiance, classic New England Charm and food that is outstanding! I highly recommend this restaurant for a romantic night out or a group. We have only eaten in the Tavern but have heard they are accommodating of larger groups in the other dining areas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT foodGKRKVIPDined on 8/29/2014This was our first visit and it was a crowded friday night. We were seated promptly but they seemed short staffed. Our waitress was a gem and did let us know the kitchen was swamped and promptly brought a bread basket. The ambiance is more appealing outside than it, but OK. The food, however, was exceptional and, after all, that is why we went. We had the best mussels (in a Drambuie broth) that we'd ever had. Two guests had tuna as their main and it was great. Another guest had the duck, also great, but the brocollini was a little tough. I had the sea bass and it was exceptional-crispy seared on the outside, tender and moist on the inside served on a bed of spaghetti squash.Special Features:
- DisappointedletsdineoutDined on 8/29/2014Waitress was very friendly and nice but service was extremely slow. Not our waitress fault but believe they were under staffed for volume. Food was just barely "fair" especially given the cost. We have a place in Dennisport and were excited to find a restaurant that appeared to have good reviews. Sadly disappointed, we will not revisit.
- Fine dining in a tourist spot...AiredaleVIPDined on 8/29/2014I had never been here before and only knew what I had read on OT. Overall, very pleasantly surprised and would definitely recommend to anyone in the area (locals and tourists alike). Food was more upscale and adventurous (e.g., drambuie mussels, kangaroo steak), presentation was very nice (even the chicken fingers and fries for kids) and the mix of families and couples and the sound of live music made it a calming and enjoyable place despite the fact that it was Summer and at the epicenter of tourists. Price was more than reasonable (4 appetizers, pitcher of sangria, 3 entrees, 3 soda fountain drinks with tip under $180) and I would go back again anytime I'm in the area.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014We were there on a weekday night. We had two appetizers, the salad and Drambuie mussels. Both were very good but a little too sweet for us. I had the stripe bass and my wife had the chicken dinner and both were creative. Diners were excellent and very good value.Special Features:
- Mooncusser - it's a pirate thang!rabelaisDined on 8/23/2014Dined on a Saturday evening. Promptly seated. Delicious tapas to begin the meal. Entrees were tasty (my wife had the duck, I had an Asian style tuna dish, and my daughter enjoyed the Statler Chicken.) Long interval between tapas apps and the entree, but in fairness the waitress did note that it would take 20 minutes for the chicken. Waitress was reasonably attentive - we were "moored" on the far side of the dining room in a corner and felt neglected at times. She did regale an adjoining table with a terse explanation of the restaurant's name with the summation of "it's a pirate thing." The live music ("church lady" at keyboard) was OK - could have benefited from more uptempo tunes - some light jazz perhaps. Parking lot tight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Book to the right, not left!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014I had been here before and loved it... this time not so much... We were seated in a dining room to the left of the entrance and it was too bright and cold (air conditioning on full when outside temp was a delightful 70 or so), tables crowded, lots of foot traffic around the table, floor uneven. The restaruant and bar to the right of the entrance is the one in which you want to be seated - dark woods, dim lighting, cozy and comfortable. It was like 2 completely different restaurants! Food okay, but pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & Service Very Good, but...MSBNW6Dined on 8/17/2014We enjoyed our meal and the service was very good. Our evening at Mooncussers Tavern would have been perfect, had it not been very unnerving to feel the floor shake every time a member of the staff passed by our seating location. It seems that we were seated in the room which leads to and from the kitchen and so there was a lot of traffic. Apparently the flooring at that location is loose, so every time a staff member walked by, the floor and correspondingly our chairs vibrated.
- Foodie Heavendoug31415Dined on 8/17/2014We started with the gambas al ajillo, which were as good as Ive had outside Spain, then I had the tuna entree, done to a turn, and the veggie stir fry turned out to be a mix of seasonal and Asian vegetables, and quite delicious. My friend had the ribeye, and said it was the best meal she'd had in years (and we are both foodies). And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention how helpful our waitress was - my friend doesn't eat potatoes, and so they gave her extra asparagus, which was just what she wanted. Also be sure to try the Quebecois martini - highly recommended all around.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem on the CapeletterboxDined on 8/16/2014Lovely dining space. Great food. Lovely pianist playing. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great ambience and foodPJP106Dined on 8/14/2014We decided on Mooncussers for our nice dinner out while on vacation. We arrived early so we could have a drink at the bar. very nice separate bar area and very friendly bartender. Was pleasantly surprised to find a trio playing music and what was nice about it was that they play softly so it's nice background music and can still carry on a conversation in a normal tone. Food was probably the best meal I've had in ages and we eat out quite a bit. definitely the best meal of our vacation on the Cape, hands down. service was excellent also. manager/owner(?) came to ask us how things were. although we came without our kids, there is another dining room that had a more casual feel to it that was totally appropriate to dine with children.Special Features:
- DisappointingPaulaDined on 8/13/2014Food good-not great. Service erratic. Served dinner before we had even half finished our appetizers. Sent it back. Never offered a desert menu. Decaf cappacino terrible. Never go back again
- A winnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/7/2014A truly fine experience in multiple ways - great food and cocktails, friendly and competent waitstaff, and the owners obliging and very charming. Definitely someplace to return to over and over.Special Features:
- Love this place!HeatherDined on 8/7/2014Mooncussers has become a favorite. Great food, appropriate portions, reasonable price. And a very nice room. And ~ we particularly enjoy the nights when there is live music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice servicesorefootDined on 8/5/2014The food was good and the service was very nice. Since I am hard-of-hearing and requested a quiet table, I particularly appreciated being given a very nice table against a wall, at a window, where there was much less noise than in the rest of the restaurant.
- MooncussersWilyoneDined on 8/1/2014Great restaurant in Harwich Port. Great reviews on Trip Advisor and well deserved. Food was excellent. Good wine selection. Venue is very cosy, like a proper inn and warm. No air conditioning blasting you. Live music was playing but was not intrusive. The owners were very friendly. One of them is French and this shows in the creative European style menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodAllTheFoodThatsFitToEatDined on 8/1/2014For a Cape Cod eatery we were surprised to find few seafood entries on the menu, but the food was very good and there was something for everyone in our party of four. Handicap accessibility was good for member of our party using a walker. There is an option of dining in the lively bar side where there was live music on the night we visited, or the quite main room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendsusanDined on 7/31/2014We loved Mooncussers. The food was excellent, service friendly and attentive and a small but excellent wine list. We will definitely return and we are telling all of our friends about our new find! My husband and I got the striped bass special and it was amazing. Another in our party got the burger and said it was one of the best he's had. There are plenty of options for children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for whole familyEnjoygoodfoodDined on 7/27/2014Took the whole family including little children and older grandparents. We all had a fabulous time and never did we feel uncomfortable with the children. The food and service is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FindsgertzDined on 7/25/2014You will love this restaurant! I booked through opentable.com on a whim and wasn't sure if it would be good or not. It was fantastic! We had great tapas and dinner, wonderful service, and there was a little jazz band playing as well...bonus! Can't wait to go back again!Special Features:
- Long Waitbrobs28Dined on 7/25/2014Reservations were for 7:15, but didn't place our drink order until 8:00. It ended up being a dinner over 2 hours. When the manager was asked why he said we should have been told it was a 45 minute wait when we were seated. We were never told, who would ever agree to be seated and wait 45 minutes? The food was amazing like always, just unfortunate it took so long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new find!cgeriDined on 7/24/2014Friends who live on Cape suggested we try Mooncussers and we are so glad we did. Our summer weeknight visit was totally enjoyable. The tapas choices are great for someone like me who enjoys small portions and the ability to try different tastes. The ambiance was warm, friendly and relaxing. I noticed immediately (and was pleased) that the television over the bar was off! How refreshing! Our waitress was outstanding, knowledgable, attentive and helpful.The house salad was a beautiful artful creation that was also delicious. I was leery of the concept of "duck infused" meats, but I learned that this method truly does enhance the flavor of the meat and I totally enjoyed the sliders cooked this way. Also enjoyed chatting with the owner!Special Features:
- What a Gem!Reagan1Dined on 7/24/2014Been vacationing on The Cape (in Chatham) for 10 years, and this was the best dining experience I've had. Food was terrific and inspired. Service was quite good. Had several tapas dishes to start (try the beef carpaccio) and we shared the special, Ostrich, which was well-prepared and delicious. The chocolate bread pudding was a fantastic way to finish. We wait to go back next summer.Special Features:
- Nice dinnerCapedinner2Dined on 7/24/2014We ate at mooncussers on a Thursday night in July. The dinner was great - we both had scallops with risotto ($28). They had a singer who was good - it was not too loud and nice background for a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A cut aboveBabsDined on 7/24/2014What a delightful surprise, from the warm welcome by the French maitresse d' to the airy spacious dining area (one of several choices), the extensive and varied menu (something for every taste and appetite, but not the usual Cape Cod fare), excellent and reasonable wines by the glass as well as bottle, beautiful presentation of food, gracious service, and music to fit the mood. Our table shared a selection of tapas, extremely generous portions and perfect for our different food preferences. This was my first visit, but won't be the last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When can we go again!BeachbumsDined on 7/23/2014Found this fantastic restaurant through TripAdvisor and was thoroughly impressed with the entire experience. The quality of the food selections and taste was beyond expectations. I would recommend this place to my foodie friends for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Guests from GermanyDietmarfamilyDined on 7/16/2014Unfortunately a rainy day at Cape Cod. But a pleasant dinner event at the Tavern. We did an east-coast-trip. Service and meal were absolutely satisfying. Also we realised a pleasant temperature in the restaurant. This was very comfortable regarding other restaurants where AC presented a winter-feeling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise FindCos4Dined on 7/15/2014Been living on the Cape for a while now and went out for a Sunday drive and saw the Tavern. We made reservations for late in the week and must say we can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RudeBostondinerDined on 7/14/2014We made reservation through Open Table and drove 25 min to the restaurant. We arrived to our reservation and they had given our table away. The manager told us it was a mixup but was very unapologetic and told us we had to wait 45 min for a table, after two other groups. We left, not giving such a poorly run restaurant our business! It is summer on the Cape so very inconvenient to find another establishment to eat. Ruined our night out!
- A nice findOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014A friend recommended Mooncussers to us so we gave it a try. We enjoyed the atmosphere and the food was delightful. And the owner stopped by our table to chat. You don't see that too often. I would definitely go back to there.Special Features:
- do not miss this spotHPtoHYDined on 7/12/2014Been coming to Mid Cape for 35+years, know all the restaurants. We travel from Hyannis to Harwichport each summer to have a great night at Mooncussers. Last week we took my mother in law and were thrilled to find a "background" pianist playing the Great American Songbook. The music was a highlight of a perfect meal, great service and as always the owner Patrick stopping by each table to check in. The other wing of the Tavern holds the bar and smaller tables and is equally fun. There were families with children, couples and tables of "girls night out". We will be back again with friends to share the relaxed and delicious Mooncusser experience.Special Features:
- Moon wasn't only one CussingTouchDownDined on 7/12/2014Decided to give this place a shot as we had a large party and they were one of the few places in the area that could accomodate a good sized table on a saturday night...Once there we found out why.. it was not a good first impression...the waitress spilled drinks one was literally poured on one of us and didn't seem all that apologetic about it..I would have been horrified if I ever did that to a customer...that drink was ordered by two people and looked and tasted differently and not good in either case....the waitress then almost hit my brother in law with his beer bottle while serving it... check the menu before you go in...all their burgers are infused with duck fat..nice...once we saw that we called off the dining experience.
- Excellent!ckatthecapeDined on 7/11/2014It was out first time at Mooncussers and it won't be our last. The food was excellent, creative and beautifully presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceLeslieskiDined on 7/9/2014I brought two out of town guests to Mooncussers hoping for a unique experience with top quality food, and a leisurely pace so we could catch up on each others lives. BINGO. It was a perfect night. Superb, unique, beautifully presented food. Ambiance allowed for easy conversation with no distraction from other tables. The owner introduced himself seeking feedback on his establishment. The bar was rocking but we were in the newly opened dining area with generously spaced tables. I hesitate to say more because I don't want my discovery to prevent me from getting into my new favorite restaurant on the Cape. Taking my 90 year old mother tonight for her first tapas dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special night outtted117Dined on 7/8/2014My wife and I spend a week at the Cape each year with our extended family. We take one special night just for ourselves. Last year we found Mooncusser's and liked it so well we came back this year. The venison special was perfectly cooked, medallions of rare meat on a bed of cool buckwheat noodles and corn, topped with fresh chimichurri. Staff was attentive if slightly undertrained. Espresso should be served with a lemon twist, sweetner and a spoon you can fit in the tiny cup ;-). Well done until dessert. Creme Brulé tasted artificial. I wouldn't complain but it killed the nice feel in my mouth and belly that the amazing venison dish had put there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HeatherDined on 7/8/2014The food here is outstanding! Portions that don't make you lose your appetite, just fill you nicely. Great variety ~ something for every taste. We've been there five or six times ~ it's one of my favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice addition to the areaMoseyVIPDined on 7/7/2014Wonderful food in a lovely setting. The salad with shallot vinaigrette was light and subtle. Presentation grand! Four large succulent scallops served over risotto were a hit, along with the striped bass special of the night. Service a bit erratic. Served espresso and asked for sugar - server took another table's order before bringing it and the coffee was cold.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/3/2014This place is a terrific little find. It has an unlikely look on the outside, but once inside, you are in a cute inn with amazing food and terrific service. We were greeted by the owners like old friends. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.