Moon Palace Restaurant
216 W. Cermak Rd
Chicago, IL 60616Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
Moon Palace Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.moonpalacerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3122254081
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00AM - 5:00PM
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00PM - 10:00PM
Friday - Saturday: 5:00PM - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Jones Wang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Please call us at 312-225-4081 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for catering details and planning.
- Special Events: Please call us at 312-225-4081 or email email@example.com for special events.
A word from Moon Palace Restaurant
Welcome to Moon Palace! We have been serving delicious Chinese food for 16 years! At Moon Palace we specialize in Shanghai and Mandarin cuisine and are famous for many of our delicious dishes and great service! For our prospective customers, Moon Palace offers a unique experience of Chicago's Chinatown. A jewel resting at the entrance of Chicago's Chinatown, Moon Palace offers quality food, a comfortable and relaxed ambiance, and a full bar menu. Whether you are coming to enjoy a nice lunch date or preparing for a night out with the family, Moon Palace is the perfect place to be. Looking forward to serving you soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerChinese
Moon Palace Restaurant - Best Restaurants in China Town ›
Moon Palace Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (7)fit for foodies (6)special occasion (4)kid-friendly (4)good for groups (4)great for lunch (3)notable wine list (1)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great Chinese cuisineMrsbDined on 9/12/2014Enjoyed our date night with some good Chinese foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bEST IN cHINA TOWNGreatVIPDined on 9/2/2014This is the best spot in China Town a must visit place great foodSpecial Features:
- Great FoodJoyLVIPDined on 8/9/2014The appetizers are outstanding, as well as the hot and sour soup. Have tried several dishes and they are all hot, fresh and delicious.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014My husband and I wanted to go out somewhere near our hotel, and he was craving Chinese...good, authentic Chinese. We saw several other great reviews of Moon Palace, but some said that the service was less than desirable. I'm not sure what experience those people had, but our service was excellent!! Our drinks were never empty, they were very helpful in explaining the dishes to us, and they even gave personal recommendations for the pot stickers -- both of the servers near us recommended pan fried, and our server asked if she could mix our dipping sauce the way she likes to eat it! It was delicious, and I would LOVE to go back when I'm in the area again.Special Features:
- So good for so littleJSWIVIPDined on 7/5/2014Simply a great place at a great price . . .. and very casual. Hot and sour soup and pot stickers are the unbeatable warm up bands that make the entree's optional.Special Features:
- The following 72 reviews are from the Moon Palace Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great foodGreatVIPDined on 6/12/2014Food great service bad the food makes up for the bad service
- Great Peking DuckFoodie62Dined on 6/8/2014This is my first visit to this restaurant. The Peking duck was exceptional, and the service was great. I would definitely recommend this place for Chinese Food lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must for chinese loverssharonDined on 6/7/2014We found this restaurant on open table. It was amazing! Fresh, hot, quick and delicious. Big portions so great for a group of people and family style. Hostess was great - server not so much. It was busy but she made us fell like she had no time for questions and we were dumb for asking. That didn't take away from the wonderful food and I wouldn't let just one person make me not want to go back again when I visit Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Chinese Food I've Ever Had!lilbubrulezDined on 6/7/2014I have had Chinese food all over the world, and THIS restaurant was the best Chinese food I have ever had. Service was great, staff was super friendly, food came out quickly. Cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice PlaceDarthVIPDined on 5/24/2014The food here is good. We had mu shu chicken, mongolian beef and sesame chicken. All three dishes were good. There was nothing remarkable about the restaurant. It is a basic Chinese restaurant with typical Chinese food.
- ChitownSistaVIPDined on 5/21/2014We took a friend who was visiting from San Diego here because he was craving Peking Duck. The server had a rather bland attitude and the food was only OK.
- Yummy Birthdaylildoll56Dined on 5/8/2014Had a double birthday dinner, the servers were friendly and kind, food was great. Good time had by allSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- majestikalDined on 4/20/2014Best Chinese place in the city. Egg rolls were amazing, pot stickers were unbelievably good, main dishes were simply the best Chinese we've ever had, definitely a must return. Plum wine was very good, also they have a full bar which I've rarely seen in a Chinese restaurant, cumin flavored lamb is a must try if you like lamb.Special Features:
- Great food, but the servicesigkap934Dined on 4/11/2014Great food, but the service was terrible. The restaurant was less that 1/3 full and we were not attended to in an timely fashion throughout the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dumplings and seafood to die forOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/4/2014This restaurant never disappoints. The menu is extensive and the schezuan dishes spicy - the eggplant is a favorite. They will moderate level of heat. All you have to do is ask. The seafood and fish dishes are always worth the trip. Now for the appetizers - dumplings that are made in house both the gyoza and their famous "soup dumplings" I could make a nwal of the dumplings alone.Special Features:
- A Gem in ChinaTownOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/29/2014We eat out in ChinaTown often. After a trip to New York, I have been in search of the perfect "soup dumpling" and Moon Palace does not dissapoint. In fact their dumplings overall - potstickers included were outstanding. I must admit I am a bit dismayed by the reviews that call this Americanized Chinese- my question to those folks would be what did you order ? The schezuhuan vegetable dishes were perfectly spicy. The salt and peper shrimp and calamari exceptional. The wait staff were not only attentive but spent time explaining ingrediants and sauces. This is our new "go to" place in ChinaTown. My only dissapointment is that it took us so long to find it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Chinese Food and ServicewolftoeDined on 2/23/2014Ate at Moon Palace with our Chinese exchange student. She loved the Shanghai soup style dumplings. We loved the flavors, menu variety, portions, and prices. Located right opposite the welcoming arch into Chicago's Chinatown, Moon Palace will validate your parking, if you use the Chinatown parking lot that is right to the East of it. Do not be put off by the size of the establishment on the outside, it is comfortable on the inside, and the wait staff was very attentive and helpful, giving special attention to our kids. We had a wonderful experience at China Moon. We will return the next time we are in the area.Special Features:
- We Will Go BackMFD062450Dined on 2/22/2014My wife and have earned at Moon Palace before and will go back again. The food is quite delicious. Service is OK. Parking is discounted for a lot around the corner so access is easy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything as advertised and moreKingpin2920Dined on 1/31/2014I read about this place. On trip advisor and there was nothing but rave reviews. DO NOT LET THE OUTSIDE FOOL YOU...GO IN! The place is very clean and right in the heart of Chinatown. Just off thr red line l service it's on cermack rd. we had the steamed dumplings GREAT Shirmp toast out of this world....The wife had cashew chicken fantastic and I had beef and pea pods to die for. Try the Mai Tia's from the full service bar. The bathrooms very clean and open. All in all I give it are 5 stars in every category. GoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TimintPaulaVIPDined on 1/18/2014My majoy complaint with Moon Palace is that one of the four entrees didn't arrive until 7-8 minutes after the other three. Less important: we would have all liked some more veggies in the seafood & poultry entrees.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Peking duckLuluVIPDined on 12/28/2013The dumplings are very good, and the duck is sensational.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's Chinese...tadaDined on 12/27/2013It's all about the food, and the food is great. It's loud, a little crazy, the staff is so authentic it's a little difficult to understand what's being asked on occasion. But if you want authentic Chinese cuisine in Chicago, this is the place.Special Features:
- Had a problem with service.CstacyVIPDined on 12/27/2013Had a problem with service. We had to keep on waiving to waitstaff for service except for the bill! That came without us even asking!
- Chinese Food to SavorEileenDined on 12/7/2013The food was excellent and the service attentive. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal at Moon Palace Restaurant and will return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialKML209Dined on 11/28/2013Was pleased that they were open on Thanksgiving, as my plans fell through. However, the food was just OK. One item was typical, identical to any other Chinese restaurant in the world... but decent. The other was subpar (cashew shrimp and chicken). Strangely, the hit of the afternoon was the hot tea. Very good and smoother than I've had in the past. Service was friendly.Special Features:
- Salt and Pepper SquidDeederVIPDined on 11/20/2013They make the best Salt and Pepper Squid that I've ever had. Period. Nothing that I've had there is phoned in. Not the typical mass-produced street food. You can tell the meals are prepared with skill and care. Great service in a nice room.Special Features:
- Quiet Business DinnerTimeZoneTravelerVIPDined on 11/13/2013I took two colleagues to this quaint spot in Chinatown. I love their food and their tastes are on-point and not over-coated with sauce. If you are looking for a quiet dinner date or small group to have dinner, this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/8/2013Food was very good. Service friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentDHRbVIPDined on 11/7/2013Our group of 8-10 has eaten there several times. They have some of the best Chinese dishes in the city. Crispy duck and Moo Shoo anything are excellent! Ambiance is what you expect or slightly better than most others in this category. We keep coming back for the food hoping the service will be better, but it too is consistent, which we rate as only fair.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mmmmmmm!LuluVIPDined on 11/2/2013The Peking duck is exceptional. We need to get a fix often. Also, yummy dumplings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More contemporary decor thanFeedbackVIPDined on 10/23/2013More contemporary decor than other Chinatown restaurants. Yummy crispy duck.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in ChinatownPookieVIPDined on 10/17/2013The food that I had was very good. The restaurant is small but elegant, and the staff attentive. I will definitely be going back there.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chinese food you WANT to take home!CaliforniaJimDined on 9/25/2013I've eaten Chinese food prepared in sixteen countries including China in Wuxi, Beijing, Shanghai, and TianJin. The food we got here was excellent. Service was acceptable but the food spoke strongest for this restaurant. Big portions, served steaming hot from the kitchen. Can't wait to visit Chicago again and return to this place for another memorable dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moon Palace RocksPraxis2013VIPDined on 9/21/2013We really liked Moon Palace and will return soon since its a neighbourhood gem. This is a smaller more personal experience than some of the huge China Town restaurants and I think its therefore better at Moon Palace (great service, fresh food, more chilled out vibe inside, fair prices). This is classic old school chinese food - its does not get any better then this. Just near the China Town gateway arch and fire house - easy access from parking lot and also public transport (red line, water taxi, etc).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were attending a concertOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2013We were attending a concert at the Arie Crown Theater at 8pm and figured we would allow an hour and a half to park, dine and then get to the concert and allow time to walk from the paring garage. I made reservations for 5:30 and we were done eating at 6:15. The food was great and the service was fastSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great early joint, gets busy laterOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2013Moon Palace had excellent food, large portions, and were very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- suprised findMikeDined on 7/1/2013Good food, 10 minutes from downtown, parking validated, we will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Peking DuckemjayefVIPDined on 6/29/2013Peking Duck (order ahead) terrific and served professionally by skilled servers.Special Features:
- Mixed ResultsMisterBeestieVIPDined on 6/29/2013A group of four of us went to Moon Palace for a Saturday night dinner. My Black Pepper Chicken with Peapod Shoots was great and my wife's tofu dish was also good. The couple we went with didn't like their meals. The Singapore Noodles wasn't spicy at all and was bland, despite having the spicy pepper next to the item on the menu. A shrimp dish had had oddly textured shrimp with too much corn starch. My wife and I liked our meals, so this was a mixed bag.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really gone downhilljessDined on 6/27/2013We have periodically dined at Moon Palace since the mid-2000s. The food used to be excellent and service fine, but it has really gone downhill, and after this last time we won't be back. The place was mostly empty, but it took 20 minutes for someone just to take our appetizer order and a lot longer for any food to come. The pork fried wontons were abysmal--filled with some sort of spinach or kale, no pork to be seen, and tasted like they had been frozen. The mu shu pork only came with 3 pancakes and the sauce was insipid. We had 5 people in our party and not a single person liked their food. I was really disappointed because I had taken an out of town guest to this, and this used to be a great place to go.