Moody's Bistro Bar & Beats
10007 Bridge St.
Truckee, CA 96161Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Moody's Bistro Bar & Beats
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.moodysbistro.com/
- Phone: 5305878688
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:30am - 5:30pm; Dinner Daily: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Guy Frenette
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Music: Friday - Saturday
A word from Moody's Bistro Bar & Beats
Moody's Bistro Bar & Beats is the place in Truckee for great food and atmosphere. With soulful music and delectable regional mountain cuisine, Moody’s gives visitors an experience reminiscent of the casual supper clubs of the 50's with a trans-generational style. The cuisine is fresh, seasonal and simple. Moody's is all about accommodation, offering different dinning experiences that fits multiple purses and wallets budgets with service that is superior and friendly. Join us for a quick bite or an extended multi-course dinner, our menu hosts many options. Our bar and lounge features live music Thursday through Saturday, two 50" televisions and a large projection screen all synchronized together. The dinning room is warm and inviting that is great for a family outing, business dinner or a romantic evening.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Moody's Bistro Bar & Beats - Best Restaurants in Truckee ›
Moody's Bistro Bar & Beats reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (25)neighborhood gem (24)vibrant bar scene (19)hot spot (16)special occasion (14)great for outdoor dining (13)notable wine list (12)good for groups (10)kid-friendly (8)great for lunch (8)romantic (6)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Family friendly except the pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014We hadn't been here since the '08 economic crunch and it was interesting to learn how Moody's adjusted their restaurant to adapt to the new economy. A few items specifically for children but the adult entres where more expensive and the choices were limited than I would expect to see in a restaurant that has shifted away from their former hi-end ambiance. Hence I knocked it down a couple starsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisingChazzDined on 8/30/2014Tartar was fantastic! Fish and chips good but the specialty ketchup w coke was "out of site"! Sampled tomato soup which will b definitelygre on the order next time. A gem w great service.Special Features:
- Great food in TruckeeStanfordFanVIPDined on 8/27/2014We had not been in Truckee for over a year but were thrilled that Moody's was still as excellent as the last time we were there. Their menu offers choices for a light or full meal. It was hard to choose what to have. The salmon was wonderful. The table next to us had some small pizzas that looked very interesting - next time!Special Features:
- Truckee delivers!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/25/2014We were very impressed by our dinner at Moody's. The food was outstanding, the portions surprisingly robust, and the service was excellent. We'd definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Just a tad disappointedMellowroseDined on 8/24/2014Oh, the food was very good & I love the ambience of Moody's, but this visit just seemed a bit off. It might have been because we were taking friends there and I had built it up as a terrific place that they would love. The service was fine, but aloof rather than personable. My fried chicken with waffle spaetzle was good, but the greens underneath were bitter and off-putting. Did not care for the pickled tomatoes. Guess I wasn't expecting them. The hangar steak was rated "excellent" by 1 friend and the 2 salmon entrees were rated as "very good". The highlight for me this visit was the suburb pureed potato bacon soup topped with amazing blue cheese. This soup typified what I was expecting when we arrived - scrumptious loveliness!!Special Features:
- Don't plan on conversationLocalVIPDined on 8/11/2014Food tremendous, but too noisy. Imagine being in a casino with all the bells going off at once. Go before 6 or after 9. Tomato soup in pastry, excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Server needs attitude adjustmentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2014Our drinks sat at the bar for 10 minutes, the server would mysteriously disappear for long stretches of time, finally one from our group retrieved the cocktails. Impossible to hear servers' description of specials. Disappears again, brings soup...no spoon,must ask again for bread, brings Mediterranean plate, no explanation of items, 20 minutes to receive undercooked halibut. (Out of salmon on the menu on a Monday night at 7???) , don't restaurants get deliveries on Mondays? Tried to speak with server regarding issues, she became argumentative & hostile...disappears again. Asked to change waiter, everyone else was helpful & friendly. Food was expensive & mediocre. Have eaten lunch there many times & enjoyed, but will never go back
- First time was great!IhvreservationsDined on 8/10/2014I have never dined here before and I don't frequent Truckee much but when we return I will definitely revisit! We were pleasantly surprised!Special Features:
- Nice evening outTruckeeDinerDined on 8/1/2014When you walk into Moody's, you immediately feel like you've entered into a warm, cozy, grown up place to relax and enjoy great food. It is a small town bar/restaurant with upscale food and wonderful service. The menu is innovative and the bar menu had plenty to choose from. I would highly recommend Moody's for your grown up night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go here!PanfiloCoDined on 7/22/2014Moody's has everything. The vibe is unique and very cool. Better than the ambience is the service and food. The place to go in Truckee. It would be successful even in Manhattan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!AnnHVIPDined on 7/20/2014My husband and I went to Moodys and while the temperature of the dining room was overly warm and uncomfortable, the food was fabulous and distracted us from this. Had their signature Ahi poke that brings us back everytime, the heirloom tomatoes that were bountiful and flavorful, and the hangar steak. Also cooked to perfection! While I would defer ther Bearnaise sauce on my meat next time (too rich for me) it was also very good. This place is always hopping and the food never disappoints! We had to take a late reservation, but well worth the wait!!Special Features:
- Outstanding dinnerVAPackersfanDined on 7/18/2014My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Moody's. In fact, it was one of the best meals we have ever had!! We ordered the fresh halibut and the fresh salmon. They were both served over a bed of delicious veggies. We rarely order dessert, but decided to share the olive oil cake with peach yogurt sauce. It was great! We also enjoyed cocktails. Overall, we thought Moody's was outstanding and we hope to return there someday!!!Special Features:
- RegularRenoRobDined on 7/16/2014Moody's summer menu is not as good as the spring menu. Halibut is good, but hanger steak is not. Tomato salad is very good. Trying to be all things to all people - locals and tourists. They have indoor and outdoor seating. They have pizza, pasta, burger, and dinners. Full bar and nights with a band. One night burger and beer out front. Another night full dinner with halibut and wine. Again outside with pizza. Seems like a different place each time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- NomadDined on 7/11/2014We've been coming to Moody's for many years (well before the ownership split) Still consistently a very good meal. Great hanger steak. We visit Moody's almost every Truckee visit.
- Still Hungry!robinettaVIPDined on 7/6/2014Portion sizes were minute, the noise level and poor acoustics made for difficult conversation. And, the lack of air conditioning made the restaurant uncomfortably hot on a warm evening. It's too bad, as the restaurant has a cool vibe and the food was tasty, if spartan. Our waitress seemed quite inexperienced. We used to love this place, now probably won't return.
- Another great meal at Moody'sOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/3/2014We have dined here many times and have always had consistently great meals, this time being no exception. Between the 4 of us we had the pork belly, devils on horseback, watermelon salad and tomato cart with burrata. The tomatoes with burrata were portioned for at least 2 people to share, the watermelon was a much smaller salad. Each was outstanding. Mains included 2 of the pizzas and the halibut. Great, personable service. Lively, a bit noisy, atmosphere with live music in the bar. Will definitely be back on our next trip to Truckee!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okfrantasticDined on 6/20/2014This place has a very nice atmosphere and seemed to be like a very fun place to hang out with friends and have some good food. Being that I was dining with one other person, it's a little hard to sample a large variety of the items on the menu. The duck liver pate was good. The crab pizza was not so good. It lacked flavor and I don't think peas go well with crab. Perhaps they could have used a saltier cheese and maybe some mushrooms. Halibut had a nice crust on it, but was a little dry. We really wanted to have some deviled eggs, but no room for anymore food. The service was ok. The waiter just put the dessert menu on our table and walked away without saying anything. Weird. I might give this place another try to taste other items.Special Features:
- Sample the wine before you buyMaryBVIPDined on 6/14/2014Ask for a small sample of the house wines before you settle on one. The sangiovese was mediocre for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but painfully loudradmanVIPDined on 6/13/2014Serious food menu. Interesting preparations, fresh ingredients, nice wine list. Fair prices. But at least several nights a week they have live music, and at least the night we were there the band was so loud that even in the restaurant section the music was almost certainly up in the "unhealthy for all" levels. Management did not seem that interested in talking to the band about it, either.Special Features:
- CharlieDined on 6/6/2014Fun restaurant, menu is small and could be a little more creative.Special Features:
- legsDined on 6/4/2014the food is always very good. nice presentation. nicose salad, jalapeno hummus, ahi poke, fries, pizza's -- all favorites!Special Features:
- Awesome!BarbandjimVIPDined on 5/29/2014We loved the appetizers, creative and delicious. Our favorite Truckee restaurant. Great music scene!Special Features:
- Great Truckee restaurantmoragamunchersVIPDined on 5/24/2014Always enjoy our meal here. New chef and new menu.Special Features:
- Great experience, must do 4 foodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/21/2014Moody's lived up to previous reviews hype. Great food, excellent service, wonderful ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 170 reviews are from the Moody's Bistro Bar & Beats reviews archive.
- InclineDined on 4/29/2014Not as good as it was in the past several years. Some entrees were very good, others just good. They seemed to be out of a lot of wines.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trucker lunchFlygirlVIPDined on 4/16/2014This is the 3rd time we have had lunch here. We had the Pizza with Hedgehog mushrooms maybe the best pizza we've ever had!,Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2014We got there late but were served like it was prime time. The food was excellent and the staff was attentive to our needs. I'm going back next time I'm in Truckee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunch or casual dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/28/2014I stayed at the Truckee Hotel for the week-end, so this restaurant was VERY convenient. The food was amazing, and the staff was super friendly. The truffled deviled eggs are to die for. They have different rooms you can eat in depending on what type of ambiance you are looking for. You can be in the front room with the band or in the Parlor room with the fire place- a little quieter spot to dine. I would recommend this spot to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The kitchen and wait staffJamesVIPDined on 3/22/2014The kitchen and wait staff were very attentive to our gluten-free needs. And the food was delicious. Try the house specialty tomato soup with large dough covering, and the new asparagus, burrata cheese, and egg salad. My daughter loved the hamburgers and mashed potatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food Great servicePaulVIPDined on 3/21/2014Very good spot in Truckee Fresh fish, fun atmosphere and very good service Our server had the kitchen make a non gluten poke which was excellent. Great place to stop if going to Tahoe.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super find in TruckeeLuv2stealrecipiesVIPDined on 2/23/2014The Truckee food scene has come of age! Great chefs = great food. Two hungry skiers enjoyed the imaginative menu all executed to perfection. From the truffled deviled eggs to the hearty smoked pork chop, lamb shank and persimmon cake for dessert. The the lamb braising reduction was exquisite. Parsnip puree-WOW! Thanks for the recipe! cipollini, swiss chard, Brussels sprouts, spaetzle all yum! Must be busy since some wine picks were sold out. Gin Martini was shaken to perfection. Will be back during next ski trip so restock your pinot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Class & sophistication no more : ((fudisyumDined on 2/15/2014Have been frequenting for ten years, and will return, but... 2 complaints this time: Host was horrible...asked our name, did something on his list, then marched us to a tiny bar table right next to the music, threw our menus down and walked away. Did not greet us nor ask if the bar was ok, or if we had a preference. We had reservations, place was not sold out. We ordered appetizers & oysters.... all brought out at same time (no biggie) BUT our table was mini... think candle, S&P, bread, 2 bread plates, waters....Twice we suggested a larger table and twice we were ignored. Waitress actually chuckled and walked away. Calamari was awful; soft inside and out. Poke & paté always great. Miss the cheese plates and classic desserts.Special Features:
- This was our 3rd time eating thereBillDined on 2/14/2014And we have never been disappointed. Food and service were great. This is where we had Valentines Day dinner.Special Features:
- DisappointedabavettaDined on 2/14/2014As Moody's has garnered a good local reputation in town I decided to try their mid afternoon lunch on Valentines day of this year. I ordered a hamburger medium rare and was disappointed. It was dry and overcooked and not as good as others available in town e.g. at the Blue Coyote.Special Features:
- Good price quality ratioRafaelegsDined on 2/3/2014I was not expecting fine dining or luxury setting, I believe that it was great for what we were looking for. Simple food but great taste. I ask for chicken and mashed potatos.
- Great lunch at Moody'sMelissaDined on 1/23/2014Recently had a great business lunch at Moody's. The food was terrific and atmosphere was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for what you getOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/20/2014Had dinner here the steak was ok but no bread no side with the overpriced and minimal portion For an expensive resturant please some bread and side with your $30+ entree just a plate of steak seriouslySpecial Features:
- Nice food spoiled by poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/19/2014As above - food slightly better than average. Waiter was really arrogant (tall, glasses - yes, you know who you are) - after taking the order he never came back to the table to check on us. I really wanted another glass of wine but was never able to order it or attract his attention. The restaurant was NOT busy this night (Superbowl play offs were on at the time) so no excuses there. Rest of the staff seemed very warm and friendly. I guess we were just unlucky to get this guy.
- Yummy Savory Christmas Eve DinnerDlandDined on 12/24/2013We arrived 90 minutes early for our reservation and they were able to seat us after about 15-20 minutes even though it was a very busy night. Food and service is always very good at Moody's. Be sure to try one of their homemade soups. Smoked pork chop was perfectly cooked and seasoned. One vegetarian in our group had excellent choices. Chocolate fondue for dessert was great. Only reason I gave four stars for service is that the waiter's assistant/busboy seemed pretty green (interrupted us, reached over us but, fortunately, not too often). The waiters and waitresses themselves are professional, very helpful and knowledgable. Moody's has been on our top list of places in the north Tahoe region for several years and remains so.Special Features:
- The food is always amazinglegsDined on 11/24/2013The food is always amazing - creative, beautifully presented, delicious! we love the bar seating the fires outside are a lovely place to sit and enjoy the town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.