Moody's Bistro Bar & Beats
10007 Bridge St.
Truckee, CA 96161Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Moody's Bistro Bar & Beats
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.moodysbistro.com/
- Phone: (530) 587-8688
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:30am - 5:30pm; Dinner Daily: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Guy Frenette
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Music: Friday - Saturday
A word from Moody's Bistro Bar & Beats
Moody's Bistro Bar & Beats is the place in Truckee for great food and atmosphere. With soulful music and delectable regional mountain cuisine, Moody’s gives visitors an experience reminiscent of the casual supper clubs of the 50's with a trans-generational style. The cuisine is fresh, seasonal and simple. Moody's is all about accommodation, offering different dinning experiences that fits multiple purses and wallets budgets with service that is superior and friendly. Join us for a quick bite or an extended multi-course dinner, our menu hosts many options. Our bar and lounge features live music Thursday through Saturday, two 50" televisions and a large projection screen all synchronized together. The dinning room is warm and inviting that is great for a family outing, business dinner or a romantic evening.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Moody's Bistro Bar & Beats - Best Restaurants in Truckee ›
Moody's Bistro Bar & Beats reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (31)neighborhood gem (26)vibrant bar scene (21)hot spot (20)notable wine list (14)special occasion (13)great for lunch (11)good for groups (10)great for outdoor dining (8)romantic (6)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Another Outstanding DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/11/2014We continue to come back over the years and eat at Moody's in Truckee, and just love it. The food is always outstanding, and creative!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DruSuDined on 11/10/2014The food was a real disappointment.The lamb pasta was unbearably salty and the lamb itself was overbraised (dispersed into mostly small shreads).While the actual meat in our fried chicken was perfectly brined and tasty, the crust was a mess-over fried and brittle,with charred taste and unmistakeable with the taste of overused frying oil.The cooked greens were a undistinguished blob. The spatzel,instead of being dropped in a chicken broth,were,instead of being a light,savory contrast to the chicken,were just thrown in the deep frier-just bits of nothing on the plate. The highlight of our service were the 2 young men who were very attentive,cleared plates at the proper time and were very pleasant.The server herself was rather uninvolved.
- Didn't disappoint!brittygirlDined on 11/8/2014Have been to Moody's several times, it isn't always great, but this time the food was wonderful for all four of us!!Special Features:
- Service ? What serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Terrible experience. Wrong food delivered, twice. Had to find our server multiple times for drinks, water etcSpecial Features:
- Great eveninglvtoeatVIPDined on 11/1/2014Good as always!!! It's among our favorite places in Truckee! We always enjoy our time at Moody's!Special Features:
- Food was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/23/2014Food was excellent and the apple crisp was delicious.Special Features:
- Great Anniversary EveningDMVGALDined on 10/13/2014We enjoyed Moodys and will be back again for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good time and good food!lvtoeatVIPDined on 10/9/2014Great place to dine in Truckee! We had a great dining experience here.Special Features:
- They offeredOGRayDined on 9/27/2014Have dined here before and it's always been great. This time was not so good. Calamari was undercooked and the lamb pasta dish tasted more like mutton. Server and management did offer to bring another dish but too late in the evening to start over. A bad experience was already well underway. This has always been a great restaurant at a great location. Not sure why they feel they have to offer "edgy" menu items. This time, in my opinion, they went too far trying to be creative?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local FavoriteKtmdude55Dined on 9/27/2014Moody's is our go to place in Truckee, has been for years. Food has actually improved in recent years and it was always good. Probably go twice a month or so. If you are looking for a casual, but good meal in a fun atmosphere, with a great bar, I doubt you will be disappointed.Special Features:
- working lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014Small, but tasty menu, friendly service and a pleasant space in downtown Truckee. I only wish I had more time to explore!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2014The food and service were both great for our small group. Our waiter was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family friendly except the pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014We hadn't been here since the '08 economic crunch and it was interesting to learn how Moody's adjusted their restaurant to adapt to the new economy. A few items specifically for children but the adult entres where more expensive and the choices were limited than I would expect to see in a restaurant that has shifted away from their former hi-end ambiance. Hence I knocked it down a couple starsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisingChazzDined on 8/30/2014Tartar was fantastic! Fish and chips good but the specialty ketchup w coke was "out of site"! Sampled tomato soup which will b definitelygre on the order next time. A gem w great service.Special Features:
- Great food in TruckeeStanfordFanVIPDined on 8/27/2014We had not been in Truckee for over a year but were thrilled that Moody's was still as excellent as the last time we were there. Their menu offers choices for a light or full meal. It was hard to choose what to have. The salmon was wonderful. The table next to us had some small pizzas that looked very interesting - next time!Special Features:
- Truckee delivers!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/25/2014We were very impressed by our dinner at Moody's. The food was outstanding, the portions surprisingly robust, and the service was excellent. We'd definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Just a tad disappointedMellowroseDined on 8/24/2014Oh, the food was very good & I love the ambience of Moody's, but this visit just seemed a bit off. It might have been because we were taking friends there and I had built it up as a terrific place that they would love. The service was fine, but aloof rather than personable. My fried chicken with waffle spaetzle was good, but the greens underneath were bitter and off-putting. Did not care for the pickled tomatoes. Guess I wasn't expecting them. The hangar steak was rated "excellent" by 1 friend and the 2 salmon entrees were rated as "very good". The highlight for me this visit was the suburb pureed potato bacon soup topped with amazing blue cheese. This soup typified what I was expecting when we arrived - scrumptious loveliness!!Special Features:
- Don't plan on conversationLocalVIPDined on 8/11/2014Food tremendous, but too noisy. Imagine being in a casino with all the bells going off at once. Go before 6 or after 9. Tomato soup in pastry, excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Server needs attitude adjustmentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2014Our drinks sat at the bar for 10 minutes, the server would mysteriously disappear for long stretches of time, finally one from our group retrieved the cocktails. Impossible to hear servers' description of specials. Disappears again, brings soup...no spoon,must ask again for bread, brings Mediterranean plate, no explanation of items, 20 minutes to receive undercooked halibut. (Out of salmon on the menu on a Monday night at 7???) , don't restaurants get deliveries on Mondays? Tried to speak with server regarding issues, she became argumentative & hostile...disappears again. Asked to change waiter, everyone else was helpful & friendly. Food was expensive & mediocre. Have eaten lunch there many times & enjoyed, but will never go back
- First time was great!IhvreservationsDined on 8/10/2014I have never dined here before and I don't frequent Truckee much but when we return I will definitely revisit! We were pleasantly surprised!Special Features:
- Nice evening outTruckeeDinerDined on 8/1/2014When you walk into Moody's, you immediately feel like you've entered into a warm, cozy, grown up place to relax and enjoy great food. It is a small town bar/restaurant with upscale food and wonderful service. The menu is innovative and the bar menu had plenty to choose from. I would highly recommend Moody's for your grown up night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go here!PanfiloCoDined on 7/22/2014Moody's has everything. The vibe is unique and very cool. Better than the ambience is the service and food. The place to go in Truckee. It would be successful even in Manhattan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 184 reviews are from the Moody's Bistro Bar & Beats reviews archive.
- Excellent!AnnHVIPDined on 7/20/2014My husband and I went to Moodys and while the temperature of the dining room was overly warm and uncomfortable, the food was fabulous and distracted us from this. Had their signature Ahi poke that brings us back everytime, the heirloom tomatoes that were bountiful and flavorful, and the hangar steak. Also cooked to perfection! While I would defer ther Bearnaise sauce on my meat next time (too rich for me) it was also very good. This place is always hopping and the food never disappoints! We had to take a late reservation, but well worth the wait!!Special Features:
- Outstanding dinnerVAPackersfanDined on 7/18/2014My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Moody's. In fact, it was one of the best meals we have ever had!! We ordered the fresh halibut and the fresh salmon. They were both served over a bed of delicious veggies. We rarely order dessert, but decided to share the olive oil cake with peach yogurt sauce. It was great! We also enjoyed cocktails. Overall, we thought Moody's was outstanding and we hope to return there someday!!!Special Features:
- RegularRenoRobDined on 7/16/2014Moody's summer menu is not as good as the spring menu. Halibut is good, but hanger steak is not. Tomato salad is very good. Trying to be all things to all people - locals and tourists. They have indoor and outdoor seating. They have pizza, pasta, burger, and dinners. Full bar and nights with a band. One night burger and beer out front. Another night full dinner with halibut and wine. Again outside with pizza. Seems like a different place each time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- NomadDined on 7/11/2014We've been coming to Moody's for many years (well before the ownership split) Still consistently a very good meal. Great hanger steak. We visit Moody's almost every Truckee visit.
- Still Hungry!robinettaVIPDined on 7/6/2014Portion sizes were minute, the noise level and poor acoustics made for difficult conversation. And, the lack of air conditioning made the restaurant uncomfortably hot on a warm evening. It's too bad, as the restaurant has a cool vibe and the food was tasty, if spartan. Our waitress seemed quite inexperienced. We used to love this place, now probably won't return.
- Another great meal at Moody'sOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/3/2014We have dined here many times and have always had consistently great meals, this time being no exception. Between the 4 of us we had the pork belly, devils on horseback, watermelon salad and tomato cart with burrata. The tomatoes with burrata were portioned for at least 2 people to share, the watermelon was a much smaller salad. Each was outstanding. Mains included 2 of the pizzas and the halibut. Great, personable service. Lively, a bit noisy, atmosphere with live music in the bar. Will definitely be back on our next trip to Truckee!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okfrantasticDined on 6/20/2014This place has a very nice atmosphere and seemed to be like a very fun place to hang out with friends and have some good food. Being that I was dining with one other person, it's a little hard to sample a large variety of the items on the menu. The duck liver pate was good. The crab pizza was not so good. It lacked flavor and I don't think peas go well with crab. Perhaps they could have used a saltier cheese and maybe some mushrooms. Halibut had a nice crust on it, but was a little dry. We really wanted to have some deviled eggs, but no room for anymore food. The service was ok. The waiter just put the dessert menu on our table and walked away without saying anything. Weird. I might give this place another try to taste other items.Special Features:
- Sample the wine before you buyMaryBVIPDined on 6/14/2014Ask for a small sample of the house wines before you settle on one. The sangiovese was mediocre for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but painfully loudradmanVIPDined on 6/13/2014Serious food menu. Interesting preparations, fresh ingredients, nice wine list. Fair prices. But at least several nights a week they have live music, and at least the night we were there the band was so loud that even in the restaurant section the music was almost certainly up in the "unhealthy for all" levels. Management did not seem that interested in talking to the band about it, either.Special Features:
- CharlieDined on 6/6/2014Fun restaurant, menu is small and could be a little more creative.Special Features:
- legsDined on 6/4/2014the food is always very good. nice presentation. nicose salad, jalapeno hummus, ahi poke, fries, pizza's -- all favorites!Special Features:
- Awesome!BarbandjimVIPDined on 5/29/2014We loved the appetizers, creative and delicious. Our favorite Truckee restaurant. Great music scene!Special Features:
- Great Truckee restaurantmoragamunchersVIPDined on 5/24/2014Always enjoy our meal here. New chef and new menu.Special Features:
- Great experience, must do 4 foodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/21/2014Moody's lived up to previous reviews hype. Great food, excellent service, wonderful ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InclineDined on 4/29/2014Not as good as it was in the past several years. Some entrees were very good, others just good. They seemed to be out of a lot of wines.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trucker lunchFlygirlVIPDined on 4/16/2014This is the 3rd time we have had lunch here. We had the Pizza with Hedgehog mushrooms maybe the best pizza we've ever had!,Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/13/2014We got there late but were served like it was prime time. The food was excellent and the staff was attentive to our needs. I'm going back next time I'm in Truckee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunch or casual dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/28/2014I stayed at the Truckee Hotel for the week-end, so this restaurant was VERY convenient. The food was amazing, and the staff was super friendly. The truffled deviled eggs are to die for. They have different rooms you can eat in depending on what type of ambiance you are looking for. You can be in the front room with the band or in the Parlor room with the fire place- a little quieter spot to dine. I would recommend this spot to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.