7 Hope Boulevard
Galveston, TX 77554Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.moodygardenshotel.com/shearns_restaurant/
- Phone: 4096834000
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Urs Schmid
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Non-Smoking Restaurant, View
- Entertainment: Band: Friday & Saturday: 7:00pm - 11:00pm
A word from Moody Gardens
Moody Gardens is pleased to now be available on Open-Table. As a perennial AAA Four Diamond award winning restaurant, Galveston's finest restaurant is unsurpassed both in cuisine and service with a spectacular view of the Moody Gardens Pyramids and back bay. Local Galvestonians flock to this Island oasis to enjoy the signature dishes of Executive Chef Urs Schmid including prime beef,exquisite veal and lamb and the freshest gulf seafood available. The Moody Gardens experience is easily on par with Houston's finest restaurants at a much better value.Continued
Dressy Casual attire required. No Jeans, Shorts or Tank Tops.
Dressy Casual attire required. No Jeans, Shorts or Tank Tops.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Moody Gardens - Best Restaurants in Galveston ›
Moody Gardens reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (36)scenic view (36)romantic (26)notable wine list (13)fit for foodies (9)good for groups (6)neighborhood gem (5)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- wonderfullaurie78621Dined on 9/13/2014The restaurant was great. Food was excellent. Everything was excellent. The experience there was wonderful from the time we arrived to the time was walked out the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special occasion diningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014My wife and I and friends have celebrated special occasions multiple times and have always been extremely pleased with the outcome. Service, food, ambiance are all exceptional. Will return many times in future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view and equally great foodHalifaxtangoDined on 8/20/2014Lovely spot atop the Moody Gardens Hotel with sweeping panoramic views of the compound, the water park, and then south to the Gulf. The view was only topped by the quality of the food and the attentive service. An excellent all round experience in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence is it!oniaiDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I had an unforgettably awesome experience. Amazing staff, the food was terrific, we were expected. Well done, guys!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ... Not So Much1ePaDined on 8/16/2014I had the shrimp dejonge. It was loaded with salt so you could not taste the shrimp, which were overcooked. The dish presentation was fair at best. This place is about 25% overpriced, which is probably what they pay back to the hotel, and which is most likely why they can claim they are non-profit. There are plenty of better places in Galveston to go, like Number 13 Restaurant. Great food, atmosphere, view and better prices ... and they don't automatically charge a tip for a table of 4. However, Mark, our waiter was OUTSTANDING !!!! He made the dinner very enjoyable!Special Features:
- Excellent dinner and atmosphere!PickyEatersDined on 8/14/2014At this this lovely restaurant at the top of the Moody Gardens hotel, we enjoyed a delicious seafood dinner in a quiet atmosphere. The view of Schlitterbahn and its lazy river added to the relaxing atmosphere of our dinner. The chocolate soufflé is a real treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 13309Dined on 8/7/2014Elegant dining with a wonderful view. looking forward to next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaineGuyDined on 8/2/2014Lovely view. Food was very good. Service was very good, but wait staff seemed almost too eager to clear off table between courses. Felt like we were being hurried.Special Features:
- Theo2Dined on 7/31/2014As in the past, another wonderful dining experience. Service was great which is always a compliment to the food. Our meal was excellent. Love bringing out of town guests.Special Features:
- Shearn's Outstanding on all levelsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/23/2014Because we hate fighting the traffic in and out of Houston on I-45 South we looked for a fine dining experience in the Clear Lake/Kemah area. We did the rotation on the few places available for years. We are now finding that Galveston is a great alternative especially during the week. Without a doubt Shearn's is our best find yet. The service and food are as good if not better than most high end restaurants in Houston. The valet parking makes the experience very simple and the view is amazing. Our server Damian was really great as was everyone we encountered at Shearn's. After dinner I suggest you have a drink in the bar for a great sunset view. We will be back often!Special Features:
- MMM MMM MMMLisaCDined on 7/22/2014Relaxing environment, food was fantastic from the salad, to main course to dessert, staff was friendly & around whenever we needed without hovering. Make reservations in advance to guarantee the night you want! Definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Exclusive and ElegantWadeDined on 7/12/2014This was our first dining experience at Shearn's, and we all loved it. We were seated at a table right by the window overlooking the Schlitterbahn Water Park. The table was set very formally with formal silverware and four glasses for each person. Separate waiters brought the bread, water and butter, followed by our main waiter who reviewed the evening's dinner specials. We all selected different entrees which included the ribeye steak, lamb chops, rack of lamb, and Italian gnocchi. Each dish was prepared very well, and we all loved the dinner presentation. My suggestions: Definitely make a reservation, dress formal or at least business casual, and arrive on-time. Service is formal, but at a relaxed pace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always, always very nicesallyDined on 7/10/2014the food is ALWAYS very nice, as is the service. the view is gorgeous and don't miss the soufleSpecial Features:
- OutstandingrobersonDined on 7/3/2014From our server Mark to the entire staff. Great food and service......we shall return!Special Features:
- best in GalvestonelaineDined on 7/1/2014Best food in Galveston, Shearn's on top of Moody Garden's hotel always creates ambiance. Old world service, new world food, best of both worlds. Mike is a fabulous waiter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionsMikeVIPDined on 6/21/2014I chose this restaurant as the place to propose to my girlfriend and they did not let me down on the level of quality of experience. The food was perfect and the wait staff was very attentive. This is a true dining experience. The view is overlooking Schlitterbaun water park which isn't what I was expecting. On the other side of the building where you can view the pyramids of Moody Gardens it is the Shearn Lounge (aka bar). Our dinner finished in time for us to catch the nightly fireworks at 9:45pm.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014We had a very enjoyable evening for our 55th wedding anniversary. The steaks were outstanding and service very good.Special Features:
- Dinner with my Man!kholmesrnDined on 6/14/2014The restaurant is superb and my fiance was very impressed. I love the service, the atmosphere, and the Ribeye and Shrimp DeLong was to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to DineLarryINLaPorteDined on 6/12/2014First understand that there is a difference between dining and eating out. My wife and I say that when a meal last much less than two hours, you are not dining, your just eating out. Shearn's is a place for dining. I offers the best scenic view of any restaurant on the Island of Galveston. The food preparation and presentation is on par with any of the best. Service was attentive without intrusive hovering. Don't miss the stuffed mushrooms with crab for an appetizer. Almost any entrée will make for a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem of GalvestonOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/29/2014My hubby had the ribeye plate & I had the lamb chops, which were both very good. We travel quite a bit & usually will not find too many dining experiences that are comparable to the California fare & flare we're accustomed to. The Lobster Bisque was top notch! We usually do not order Lobster Bisque, as many of restaurants have tried & failed mastering the flavor factor in this dish, they've mastered it & it is a must try...though can't say the same of their gumbo or brulee trio dessert One other thing....we were told at the conclusion of our meal that a 17% is auto added to the check, that was a no no, though we did not protest, as we were so busy enjoying our evening and our waiter was excellent right up until the delivery of that news.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shearn'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/23/2014We always enjoy dining at Shearn's . Food is always good thanks to their chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOMEOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/23/2014Shearn's was recommended to us by a local, who clearly knew what they were talking about. An elegant restaurant with wonderful views. Service was impeccable and the meal was outstanding. The price was quite reasonable given the quality of service and food. This one is a keeperSpecial Features:
- A private settinggalvestonbayfoodDined on 5/23/2014The food was great and service as good. However when requesting a table by the window on the reservation and upon arriving...the tables at windows are only for 4 people not 6 or more. This should be noted in their website.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 173 reviews are from the Moody Gardens reviews archive.
- Friday DinnerGak45Dined on 5/16/2014Had a great birthday dinner with a wonderful view. Service by Kelly was very attentive and relaxed. Both our dinners were well prepared and very tasty. Soufflé for dessert was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RelaxingBritinTXDined on 5/10/2014We stayed a Moody Gardens for a relaxing weekend and decided to have dinner at the hotel so as not to have to drive anywhere. Typically hotel food is a hit or miss. Shearn's was incredible! Great food,lovely ambiance with an amazing view, and impeccable service!!! You must dine here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed in my steak! :(luvgalvestonDined on 5/3/2014I have been to Shearn's 4-5 times and I have always been very happy with my choices. Saturday night I got the filet cooked Rare. I cut into it and it was very cooked. I cut into it again and did not believe it was cooked to my order. No red meat, no red juices coming out and slightly tough to chew. I called the waiter over and he agreed it was not rare. He took my steak and came back one minute later with my original steak cut completely in half and said the kitchen said it was rare. Well, I am not dumb. I known what rare meat looks and tastes like. It was NOT rare. I was not going to have a discussion in this nice dining room and embarrass everyone involved so I just sat and ate some of the steak not as I ordered it. So sad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful island restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/2/2014Shearn's was delicious. The service fantastic. We ordered Shrimp Dejonge as an app, goat cheese pear strawberry salad, the baked potato gnocchi and the NY strip with green peppercorn Jack Daniel's sauce. Also go the chocolate souffle. Everything was fantastic, and slightly less expensive than in comparable restaurant in Houston. Server was Michael with Jacob assisting. The whole team was great.Special Features:
- Great for date nightdessertloverDined on 4/26/2014We had a lovely date night at Shearn's this Saturday, and even though we had very high expectations of it after having a wonderful meal last year, Shearn's exceeded our expectations. We're comfortable ordering anything off the menu, and we know it will be wonderful. The best part of the meal is definitely dessert - I suggest either the dessert sampler or their creme brulee, depending on how much variety you want.Special Features:
- SusanadanaDined on 4/26/2014The food & ambience were nice, but service was not what I expected.Special Features:
- slgasVIPDined on 4/23/2014Top notch all the way. Views for miles from the ninth floor dining room. Tuxedo-wearing waiters AND busboys. Great food and presentation. Entrees delivered on rolling carts with food covers. Complimentary sorbet before entree. Great palace for any kind of a special occasion. Beats every other place in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!TheDukeDined on 4/19/2014We went there for our wedding anniversary. My wife had the crab cakes, and they were very good. I had a New York Strip Sirloin that was comparable to similar steaks I've had from Del Frisco's, only about 25% less expensive here at Shearn's. We both started with the Lobster bisque. It was a great start, and necessary since it was a decent wait for our food. Drinks were reasonably priced (again, given the venue). With a great atmosphere and overall high level of dining, the value was quite good and the food was amazing.Special Features:
- One Of Our Favorite RestaurantsopentableguestDined on 4/10/2014We love the beautiful hotel floor that Shearns is located on. The club across the hall is just perfect for a relaxing drink prior to dining in Shearn's. Both have pretty views especially at night. The foot is always outstanding regardless of what we order. I love the seafood and my husband loves the steaks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Hotel RestonickDined on 4/9/2014See previous review - went there a second night as the food was great the first night. Had the steak au poivre and shrimp gumbo. Steak was awesome, gumbo not as good as the lobster bisque. Service was great again. Highly recommend this resto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Hotel RestaurantnickDined on 4/8/2014I was a little sceptical given hotel restaurants arent generally the best but was pleasantly surprised. Had the rack of lamb and lobster bisque - both of which was fantastic. Highly recommend resto and choices.Service was awesome altho it wasnt overly busy - which i was fine with as well. The city views are very nice as well. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took my wife here for ourOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/8/2014Took my wife here for our Anniversary and she loved every bit of it. The wait staff was very attentive. They made the evening very memorable. The food was excellent and prepared to perfection. I ordered flowers before hand to be placed on the table. It was perfect. I made lots of points that night. Thank you Shern's!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prom Night 2014cpikeDined on 4/5/2014My date and I and several others dined here and then were able to go downstairs to our prom. The food was amazing and we felt so grownup. I hope I can come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining experience for studentsWinkieDined on 3/28/2014I brought my culinary arts students, only had 5 of them, to experience a formal dining setting. They thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere, food, and overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening mealErwinVIPDined on 3/22/2014Service was a little slow, but we were not in a hurry. We did split an entre - but what we got was really small. The sautéed crab was not much. Nice view, and we did get a window seat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantLuvtodineDined on 3/13/2014I placed my reservation through OpenTable and my reservation was ready and even had a window seat as requested. Micheal our waiter was very good, the food and wine selection were great. They even gave my wife a birthday desert of Chocolate Soufle for desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Class Dining ExperienceSunshineDined on 3/8/2014We made the reservations from the Open Table site. We were given the time we requested and a table by the window which we requested. The food was excellent and service exceptional. I will eat there again when back in Galveston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.