414 Calle Principal
Monterey, CA 93940Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.montrio.com/
- Phone: 8316488880
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Chef Tony Baker
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: The artisan series is back! Come join us for the first one Saturday, March 24th "everything taste better with bacon." Noon till 2pm. Reservations required.
A word from Montrio Bistro
Located in the heart of downtown Monterey, Montrio Bistro offers a comfortable yet classic dining experience, featuring fine European inspired-American cuisine. For the past 15 years, Chef Baker’s resolve to showcase sustainable seafood, fine quality meat, and Monterey County’s best produce in all of his dishes has made this renovated 1910 firehouse a local favorite. We feature a variety of appetizers, award-winning small bites, enticing entrees, and indulgent seasonal desserts made by our in house pastry chef. Choose from GM Kathy Solley’s extensive wine list, or try one of our signature cocktails by Anthony Vitacca. Montrio’s sophisticated, yet comfortable atmosphere attracts locals and passerbys alike with our great Happy Hour, Dinner and a Movie, and Sunday's Half-Priced Wine Night. Come see what everyone is talking about! Located just half a block from the Monterey Marriott and Conference Center, Montrio Bistro is the ideal venue for private parties, events, or meetingsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Montrio Bistro - Best Restaurants in Monterey ›
Montrio Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
192 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (111)special occasion (102)neighborhood gem (66)romantic (61)notable wine list (52)good for groups (40)hot spot (32)vibrant bar scene (21)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (11)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Creative MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/31/2014Our 16 yr. old daughter selected this restaurant on our visit to Monterey because she said the menu seemed creative and she was right! We started with the Mussels which were tasty in a semi creamy broth. We also chose popcorn duck. Creative appetizer of popcorn flavored with shredded duck and fresh herbs. The mushrooms were also very nice. I had the pork chop which was perfectly cooked and the others had salmon and chicken which were both excellently prepared. The best dessert we've had in a while was the brioche bread pudding which was like a custard and bread pudding together. It tasted a little eggy which we really enjoyed. Service was very friendly, attentive, but not smothering. A great choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Find!AmyandBrianDined on 8/31/2014I found this little gem online looking for a nice place for dinner. Reservations were a piece of cake. Our Waitstaff was Amazing and attentive. The food was phenomenal! We had such a Great evening!Special Features:
- Mussels!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014The Mussels appetizer was really wonderful...the best. We had the crab cakes(Very Good) and the mussels, followed by the tomato salad, which we shared (our home grown tomatoes are better) and was also very good. We had scallops (quite good...very tender and well prepared) and the steak special (cooked exactly as requested...plenty of smoke flavor...slightly dry and not as tender as a $38.00 steak should be. We had wine by the glass (more flexibility) and enjoyed it all. Overall we had a really nice evening. Our reservation was for 6:30 and we were pleased with how quiet it was...and when we left at 8:20 it was packed and quite a bit louder, but still not overly so. Would we go again? You bet!!Special Features:
- Great dining experienceAlexDined on 8/30/2014This is a great restaurant with great food and service. We are returning customers and continue to be a return customer.Special Features:
- Yum in Monterey...cflynnlVIPDined on 8/29/2014Another visit to Montrio and they still do it better than anyone else in town. Everything was completely great except the ravioli, no one could even get through but a few bites. Definitely skip!Special Features:
- Great find!gayleepDined on 8/29/2014Montrio Bistro was recommended to us by a good friend. We were in Monterey for a wedding, and had only one night it dine out. This was no disappointment. The good was great. No one at the table was unhappy with their meal. Would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissapointed with NY Steak SpecialSpikermikeVIPDined on 8/27/2014The waitress highly recommended the NY steak special and I inquired if it was USDA Prime Steak and she said it was. The steak was so tough my jaws were sore. My business associate also ordered it and said the same thing as did a few others at our table that we had try it. I expressed my displeasure and she acted as though I was nuts. I've never heard that before she told us. I'd like her to eat one. I'm not saying it was like a shoe sole but it was very much like a cheap cut you would get at Lucky's except for the price. I guess in Monterey near the wharf you can peddle that cheap cut of steak for USDA Prime. Very disappointed as I was going to order the duck and had it before at this restaurant and it was very good.
- Montrio was a special surpriseraeraeVIPDined on 8/27/2014Beautiful space (see the 'clouds' floating above) and wonderful food, beautifully presented. You must try the chicken waffle as an appetizer - delightful comfort food!Special Features:
- WOWKWODDined on 8/24/2014Every time my wife and I go to Monterey we dine ar Montrio Bistro's Everything is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always my first choiceRetiredDudeDined on 8/23/2014Busy restaurant but plenty of seating in the bar area. Pricey but great appetizers and entrees. Not recommended for kids on a Saturday night. Pretty much an all adult restaurant on a Saturday night.Special Features:
- Very nice anniversaryDanFromSanJoseDined on 8/22/2014My wife and I decided to have a nice weekend in Monterey for our 30th anniversary. We wanted a special place for dinner and Montrio Bistro started the weekend off to a great start. I had the rib eye steak special and my wife had the salmon. Both were excellently prepared with tasty side dishes. The service was excellent and very friendly. It was odious that the waiter enjoyed working there. All in all, the food was great, the service was great and the atmosphere was superb.Special Features:
- Good food amongst tourist desertHappyGimletVIPDined on 8/22/2014Food well executed if nothing exciting or unique, reasonable wine list if a little expensive.
- Anniversary 51TerryDined on 8/20/2014A favorite eating place for us. Any time we stop in Monterey we dine at Montrio. The place has a nice feel about it. We got some nice extra attention because of our anniversary. Pleasant staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, Crowded tablesheyhaydenDined on 8/19/2014When we first walked in, our initially reaction was that the bistro was very nice, quite romantic, and very crowded. Each table is placed no more than two feet from the next, so you ca pretty much hear the other tables' conversations around you. The food was delicious, kinda pricey for what you get. For me, only a place for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining in MontereyfoodeaterDined on 8/16/2014The food was amazing! And portions were such that you could have appetizers, entree, and desert! The ambiance was great! I added it as romantic because of that, but it might be a touch loud if you're looking for a truly quiet romantic meal. I felt that the energy of the place really lent itself to something that could still be very romantic if you were ok with it turned up just a little. Service was great. At the very end of the meal the server was a little slow bringing the check and closing it out, but other than that he was amazingly attentive through the whole meal despite the busy evening. I did see a large group there of 10 and more and as well as a couple smaller groups, so they appear to be pretty accommodating for groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/16/2014Great food and service. Artistic and safistcated environmentSpecial Features:
- Always Amazing!AnnZVIPDined on 8/16/2014Had one of my overall favorite dishes for the first time. The pork chop with pineapple and Stilton was phenomenol. The pesto steak is always a favorite. We mixed it up a little on dessert and tried the white chocolate bread pudding. Since neither of us are big white chocolate fans we were skeptical, but our servers advice was spot on. Moist, light and a cross in flavor between a sugar cookie and crema brûlée, we enjoyed every bite. The chocolate ganache mini bite dessert is a small yet perfect ending to a wonderful dining experience as well. Highly recommend you try Montrio.Special Features:
- Found a diamond29andcountingDined on 8/16/2014What a pleasant find great service, great atmosphere, great food, will have to make this nugget part of my top tenSpecial Features:
- eatingoutDined on 8/15/2014The Montrio Bistro is a refuge from the frantic Car Week on the Monterey Peninsula in Aug. We have had several trips to the Monterey area and have been going to The Montrio Bistro for at least 5 years. It is consistently good and also has a small bar for a drink and a quick bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bdayluvparrDined on 8/14/2014It was my birthday, and the server had no idea? Yet I' m on the email, for years? It was on the reservation? no big deal, but I had to ask for the birthday dessert? A bit embarrassing! The waiter was a bit on the snobby side, his name was Jose, seemed like he wanted me to order something more expensive, he offered a glass of wine for $ 22? Really? he asked me 3 times, if I wanted my steak med rare of course? I said, no I'm a okie I want it med well? My wife ordered French onion soup, no cheese? just a lot of onions floating around a piece of bread? the calamari, was great, the bread was great, my pesto rubbed steak was the best, we will come back, like we do every 4 months thksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Returning customerChuck145Dined on 8/12/2014Friendly staff, not just your waiter. Ryan was helpful when it came to substitution on entrees. Made sure of how I wanted my meat done... It was perfect! When he was busy other staff would be sure our water was full.... Sounds like a small thing but if you have been out in the sun all day its an important detail! Dessert was very tasty and just as advertised. My only reason for four stars was just for the noise.... Won't bother most people.... Still go repeatedly because of the food. If you go you will enjoy your meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid downtown spotChrisDined on 8/11/2014Highly recommend this gem near the wharf. A great room, creative dishes and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014This was an absolute gem. Great atmosphere, fantastic food and reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Great foodThisisdankDined on 8/10/2014The food was absolutely fabulous and the service was great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dishes Either One-Note or BlandjohnhallVIPDined on 8/8/2014A lovely piece of swordfish came drowning in a sauce that was overwhelmingly dill-forward. It was accompanied by zucchini that were barely grilled and soggy due to the sauce. The vegetable skillet included a range of root vegetables and some broccoli rabe—why in summer rely on root vegetables amidst the bounty of the region? As is almost always the case when attempting to roast different vegetables all at once, some were underdone, some overdone, and a few just right. The vegetable dish was garnished with bland fried cubes of polenta and was accompanied, incongruously, by a small pitcher of tomato sauce. A well-spiced and well-cooked roasted vegetable can be a thing of beauty, but not here.
- Good food with attitudewinedineDined on 8/7/2014My second visit in the past 12 months; this time with my kids (11/16) who are adventurous diner, willing to try most anything. The reception by the hostess and waitress gave the impression that this was not a place for kids, as kids only want fast food, and certainly don't appreciate this type of food. My kids commented on that first. After a while, our waitress warmed up. On my first visit, with my girlfriend, our waiter was surly and dismissive. The busboy was awesome, and made the evening enjoyable. The reason I went back was because of the busser, and that I assumed the "attitude" had certainly been let go by this time. I think an attitude adjustment is in order for the wait staff. Don't judge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious meals but big portionslpc416Dined on 8/7/2014Great seafood and steak choices. Share mains and appetizers as portions are very large.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant! Try it!JAD1998Dined on 8/7/2014We were vistiting Monterey and managed to get a reservation at Montrio Bistro. The food was outstanding and the service was great. I would highly recommend this to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlacemadmaxVIPDined on 8/6/2014We were staying down the block at the Marriot and gave this place a try. The waiter was excellent. The food was great. Excellent all around.
- Very disappointingGregDined on 8/5/2014Dining room is very cramped and loud .. Overall the food was ok, served very late, service could have been better ... 1 hour from when we ordered to the delivery of the entree .. I had scallops which were prepared ok, but for the price I would have liked more than three moderate size scallops...she had the NY steak and it was average at best ... Will not returnSpecial Features:
- NataliDined on 8/4/2014Ingredients were fresh and good however sometimes too many ingredients and taste were happening on the plateSpecial Features:
- Everything just rightWaileaWahineVIPDined on 8/2/2014The only reason we decided to stay at the next door Marriott was so we could walk here for dinner 😀. Had not been here for years and my memory served me well, great dinner! All 4 of us agreed it was our best meal out in a long time. Excellent service, the manager came and checked on us too. Good wine by the glass list. Prices reasonable.Special Features:
- Truffle Tator TotsThouseDined on 8/1/2014You must have these truffle tater tots.....delicious!!!!! All the appetizers were delicious and the hot bread they bring you is wonderful. My sister had the Kobe burger and it was delicious and had the pork chop. My pork chop was a little overcooked and I wasn't quite sold on the Stilton and pineapple. I love these things individually but all together they lost everything wonderful about them. The savory bread pudding was a little "wet" for my taste but the actual flavor was pretty good just too soggy. Our waiter seemed a little overwhelmed. The restaurant was busy but he was slow compared to the other waitstaff that we saw around us. Good food. Good atmosphere. Would come back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Energetic, indeed2PlanePilotsDined on 7/31/2014Energetic in opentable speak means having to shout to your dining companions and not really hearing what the server was saying about the way too many specials. The food was hit and miss, all the protein was cooked very well but the sides were not. Hockey puck cornbread stuffing with the perfectly cooked duck breast was a disappointment. Soggy apple bread pudding with pork chop, ditto. Winner of the night was the awesome, cooked-to-order Kobi burger with truffle fries, juicy, tasty triple cream truffle cheese melting into the bun and burger, yum!Special Features:
- Romantic and Vibrant!DiningAffairsDined on 7/27/2014Top notch service began as we entered the door. The hostess was perfectly attending our reservation and surprised us with adding special touches to our table for two to set the mood for a romantic evening. Our waiter, Ryan, was charming and attentive the entire evening. He didn't hover but always appeared present at the right moments. The food was fresh, delicious, and delightful. I highly recommend Montrio Bistro to anyone in Monterey. No tourist here. Just a local high-end dining affair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really really goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014We had a last minute "let's go out to dinner" moment and this restaurant was a great option! Great food..really liked our waitress (Donnis I think her name was). The only very minor negative was that it was a little cramped and noisy...but it reminded me of the bistros' you would find in New York or San Francisco...I would recommend this to my friends..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceDianahRDined on 7/26/2014Dined here with the man today and had a wonderful dining experience. Started out with cocktails (recommend the Old Gringo) and the warm delicious complimentary bread. We followed with the truffle tater tots, which were very good, and the scallop crudo with avocado pana cota which was also tasty. My boyfriend ordered the steak, which was cooked to perfection and absolutely delicious. I ordered the lamb chop, which was also cooked to perfection, but a bit too tart with the vinegarette for my taste. It was a bit too overpowering. Wanted dessert, especially after seeing the bread pudding, but we were simply too full. Our waiter was superb! Very friendly, funny, and attentive. He was probably the best part about our dining experience.Special Features:
- Bread pudding was awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014Main course dishes were pretty good. They overcooked my sirloin steak first time, but quickly brought back a new dish. My favorite dish was white chocolate bread pudding that a lot of people tried. It is probably the best bread pudding I've ever had in my life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoys g8 food..wine...friendsLuvG8FoodDined on 7/25/2014This was our third time to Montrio Bistro & it did not dissopoint us a but, we loved every last bite!!! Bruschetta & short ribs were especially amazing!!! Can't wait to come back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great bristonjtravelerDined on 7/20/2014Montrio is sophisticated enough for a intimate dinner for two yet able to give crayons to my seven year old granddaughter to keep her occupied. The staff was attentive yet not over-bearing. The small plates are excellent. The bread is served hot out of the oven and save some to dredge in the mussel broth. (Excellent). The cold smoke salmon and scallops again are excellent. Prawns grilled with vinegar slaw very good. On Sunday there's half price wine on select bottles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.