414 Calle Principal
Monterey, CA 93940Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.montrio.com/
- Phone: 8316488880
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Chef Tony Baker
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: The artisan series is back! Come join us for the first one Saturday, March 24th "everything taste better with bacon." Noon till 2pm. Reservations required.
A word from Montrio Bistro
Located in the heart of downtown Monterey, Montrio Bistro offers a comfortable yet classic dining experience, featuring fine European inspired-American cuisine. For the past 15 years, Chef Baker’s resolve to showcase sustainable seafood, fine quality meat, and Monterey County’s best produce in all of his dishes has made this renovated 1910 firehouse a local favorite. We feature a variety of appetizers, award-winning small bites, enticing entrees, and indulgent seasonal desserts made by our in house pastry chef. Choose from GM Kathy Solley’s extensive wine list, or try one of our signature cocktails by Anthony Vitacca. Montrio’s sophisticated, yet comfortable atmosphere attracts locals and passerbys alike with our great Happy Hour, Dinner and a Movie, and Sunday's Half-Priced Wine Night. Come see what everyone is talking about! Located just half a block from the Monterey Marriott and Conference Center, Montrio Bistro is the ideal venue for private parties, events, or meetingsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Montrio Bistro - Best Restaurants in Monterey ›
Montrio Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
193 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (112)special occasion (95)neighborhood gem (71)romantic (62)notable wine list (55)hot spot (51)good for groups (50)vibrant bar scene (29)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (11)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Wonderful bistro in MontereytravellibDined on 10/27/2014It's not often that a great restaurant is just down the street from my hotel. This was a real treat! A colleague and I visited during a conference and enjoyed the food and the ambiance. The duck confit popcorn sounded bizarre, but was addictive. And the duck breast was cooked perfectly. My colleague had the short rib and it looked perfect. The menu is interesting, but not in the off-putting sense, rather, it's a challenge to make a decision. Our server was attentive, knowledgeable, and friendly. I'll definitely be back when I'm in the area again.Special Features:
- ENHHHH -- Won't Go Backlagunatic345VIPDined on 10/25/2014It was OK, not great. Really -- nondescript. Noisy, food was OK, service was OK. There are better places to eat in the area.
- Wonderful food!LuvgoodfoodDined on 10/25/2014We were visiting the area and found this restaurant online. What luck! The food was great ... our waitress was excellent! I'd highly recommend the ravioli, but my husband had the strip steak and it was possibly the best he's ever had! It was a great find. Wish I were closer; I'd definitely return!Special Features:
- Montrio Bistro experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014We have been to this restaurant before and had an extremely pleasant experience. The food was fabulous, however, the waiter service was not as good as the time before. He was attentive however, not as friendly as the last one. The host was the best; friendly and engaging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special DinnerspecialnysteakDined on 10/23/2014My guest had never been to a restaurant like Montrio before. He was amazed by the drink selection and by the food. He and I had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!kfloDined on 10/20/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our experience at Montrio. Lobster mac n' cheese was phenomenal, as was the duck. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for tasty food-filled night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Montrio Bistrobluecraby2kDined on 10/18/2014Overall it was good. However, the restaurant seemed cramped. My wife and I were seated in what could be called the main aisle to the main dining area. The staff had to wait for people to go by before they could get to us. It was like being seated next to the kitchen except instead of the staff, the customers kept passing by. This ruined an otherwise pleasant meal. The only problem with the food was some of my wife's baby Brussels sprouts were charred. The high point of the meal was the birthday dessert. It did make my visit very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkayMontereyisGoodDined on 10/18/2014Okay service. Great food. Overall the waiter serving us was not great, but everyone else made up for his lackluster performance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eating.rtpaulDined on 10/18/2014Without a doubt, the best food I have ever eaten. The restaurant is beautiful. Our new favorite when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/16/2014I was A table of 4 friends. Great food and service. The tables down the center are way too close together. If you move wrong or unexpectedly you could upset a tray or customer, bump someone pouring water. You get the picture. Ask for a booth.Special Features:
- PhiaDined on 10/15/2014Food was excellent, ambiance was great and would definitely recommend this restaurant, artichoke appetizer was amazing!!!Special Features:
- Great Experience!HenryVIIIDined on 10/12/2014I went due to the comments on Trip Advisor. Food was in general very good, not outstanding all of it but over all everything was good. Service and ambiance are outstanding. Go for the desserts also, those are outstanding I would say. As a note, I'd say I consider myself a "professional foodie"...Special Features:
- Never disappointedbwleeDined on 10/10/2014The last three times we have been in Monterey we have made sure we dine here. All aspects are incredible great fined in Monterey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/8/2014We had not been in while. However a great dining experience. The only "knock" wine by the glass selection is in my opinion limited.Special Features:
- Sad about recipe changeRes42Dined on 10/8/2014We have been customers for a long time. Come in specifically for the scallops. We were very disappointed that the recipe has been changed. Loved the garbanzo beans and grapes and now their gone. Not nearly as flavorful. The waitress told us too many beans were left on the plates and that's why the recipe was changed. How about going back to the original but using a few less beans?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectDoublejDined on 10/7/2014Been on Monterey Peninsula over 40 times. This restaurant would be in the top 10 of the many we visited over the years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice find in MontereyBillnStefDined on 10/7/2014When visiting Monterey for a 2-3 day golf trip for my husband, I enjoy spa visits and finding great places to eat. After doing a web search on Tripadvisor and Yelp, I found Montrio Bistro. The 4 1/2 star reviews were right. It's now on our favorites list and we will return when we again visit Monterey.Special Features:
- Rivals any....TwinzzDined on 10/7/2014The family came from the 4 corners to experience what we have been raving about for years (And I a former G.P. of the French Laundry). Their review? I had undersold it!!!Special Features:
- Nothing to wtite home about0pn2RezonDined on 10/7/2014There was nothing special about this restaurant. The tables were small and in close proximity to each other. The food was okay..a little pricey for the atmosphere. I don't think I would return there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining ExperienceTimWellesleyVIPDined on 10/5/2014We were staying at the Marriott and my wife knew about this restaurant from prior visits. It is a fine dining experience with marvelous ambience, cuisine, and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite in MontereyRaceTraveler7Dined on 10/5/2014Every time we are in town, I make sure to hit the Montrio Bistro. Great food, great wine and great service. Half price bottles on Sunday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and Flavorful!AlanalonVIPDined on 10/3/2014Montrio Bistro is located in downtown Monterey. I chose this restaurant because we were arriving late and is was located within walking distance to the Monterey Marriott. We dined on a Friday night and the restaurant was packed. We were, however, seated promptly when we arrived. They have a very interesting menu with an array of tapas to share as well as appetizers. We chose the Duck Confit Popcorn, as it sounded so unique. It was served with chop stix in a glass. It looked great and was such a fun thing to share. Loved it. We ordered a steak with pesto and a pasta with seafood. Both dishes were loaded with flavor. We ate every bite! I would high recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMontrioDined on 10/2/2014I have eaten at the Montrio a couple times prior to tonight. The restaurant is in walking distance from my hotel, and I have enjoyed the scallops in the past. I was disappointed the quality of the food and service tonight. The restaurant was having a charitable event which caused the public up stairs. The hostess was wonderful and very accommodating. The server was pleasant but overwhelmed. I had the scallops which were over cooked. The restaurant has changed the recipe of the couscous and not for the better. My dinner companion had the Special of fish, forgot which he ordered, but the fish was over cooked too. The Chef must been off tonight.Special Features:
- Montrio BistrogolfgalDined on 9/29/2014Nice little restaurant near the Marriott Hotel. Went on a Monday night at 6:30 and it was packed, so glad we made reservations. Tables are close, but we found it easy to "chat". Our waitress was excellent....great service. I had the special that night... Mahi Mahi on risotto/arugala and it was good, but not excellent. My husband had steak and it was cooked so rare that he had to return it for medium, but he said it wasn't really all that tender, so a disappointment for him. Appetizers of potato truffle and lobster mac & cheese were tasty. All in all a convenient location in a "trendy" area with lots of menu choices; if we are in Monterey again, someday, maybe we would give it a another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food GREAT, Service could improvekaukauloverDined on 9/29/2014Outstanding food & presentation. However, once the evening & bar crowd started building service slowed to a trickle and at those prices that should not have happened. A disappointing example was running out of drinking water and having to wait about 10 minutes before they were refilled. Guess they haven't heard of cross-utilization of the help and having all wait staff support each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frompismoDined on 9/28/2014We love eating at Montrio Bistro. The menu is great and everything is presented beautifully. We have never been disappointed with the food or the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealLuv2dineDined on 9/27/2014Great meal with good choice of vegetarian food and excellent wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Foodvanm9658Dined on 9/22/2014I truly enjoyed the freshness of the ingredients and the manner in which the food was prepared.Special Features:
- Montrio's addictionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014Simply fantastic! Everything about Montrios is great. The service, the ambience, the food, the style, and the wine list is terrific. I feel I am in England every time I go there, I wonder why? THANK YOU!Special Features:
- Outstanding!GreatspotDined on 9/20/2014We were in Monterrey just for the weekend. I found Montrio Bistro on Yelp and it was a great choice!! Our burrata salad (which the kitchen split beautifully) was outstanding! We both loved our entrees. Would definitely come back the next time we are in Monterey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All in all a great restaurant!ElliottDined on 9/20/2014All in all an excellent experience. Food was excellent, decor and ambiance was nice, and service was prompt, friendly, and informed without being overly pushy. There was a nice varied menu to satisfy anyone's preferences. Just what I was looking for for my girlfriend's birthday dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KarenVIPDined on 9/19/2014Always a treat - the attention to detail is wonderful!Special Features:
- PlutoDined on 9/18/2014The noise level is to high for intimate dining but the service was very good. It was cold in the restaurant because windows were left openSpecial Features:
- Foodg123Dined on 9/15/2014The food was good. There were a few things to improve upon. The kale salad was not the best we have ever had.
- WhatAboutBobDined on 9/13/2014We have been eating at Montrio Bistro whenever we visit northern California over the last ten years. Every thing as a rule is at least very good to excellent. The wine list is especially good with a very good wine by the glass listing.Special Features:
- Monterey gemLovefood1Dined on 9/12/2014Having visited Monterey a dozen times, this time without kids, I wanted to find somewhere a little off the beaten track and boy was this a great find... It's a block from the main st.. The menu was amazing... Ambiance was great and service equally great Will definetly come back( Evan with kids)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu and drinkswewfromsloDined on 9/12/2014Easy walking distance downturn. Friendly service. Vast drink variety. Fun festive environmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014We've been to Montrio Bistro twice, and for good reason. The service and food are amazing. I would definitely recommend starting off with one of their artfully crafted cocktails. Fresh, hot bread while you wait for your food is great, and served with olive oil and vinegar for dipping. The appetizers are great, but filling despite their reasonably small size. I would recommend one, tops, for two people if you're going to eat the bread. The main courses are outstanding, and well-portioned (i.e. not ridiculously large), but still very filling. The service staff are well versed in wine pairing, and I highly recommend a glass with your meal to set it off right. The entire experience is wonderful. It's definitely "our place".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysGenRon314Dined on 9/8/2014Went there on my birthday Sept.8 with my husband and one of our daughters. The server was fantastic. So was the food as always. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beginning to endmomof1chefDined on 9/6/2014The hostess was very personable, we were seated right away even though the restaurant was packed. Our server was quick, friendly and not overly hovering around us. The restaurant was upbeat and fun atmosphere. My lamb chops were perfectly cooked and my husband's roasted duck was delicious !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.