414 Calle Principal
Monterey, CA 93940Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.montrio.com/
- Phone: 8316488880
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Chef Tony Baker
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: The artisan series is back! Come join us for the first one Saturday, March 24th "everything taste better with bacon." Noon till 2pm. Reservations required.
A word from Montrio Bistro
Located in the heart of downtown Monterey, Montrio Bistro offers a comfortable yet classic dining experience, featuring fine European inspired-American cuisine. For the past 15 years, Chef Baker’s resolve to showcase sustainable seafood, fine quality meat, and Monterey County’s best produce in all of his dishes has made this renovated 1910 firehouse a local favorite. We feature a variety of appetizers, award-winning small bites, enticing entrees, and indulgent seasonal desserts made by our in house pastry chef. Choose from GM Kathy Solley’s extensive wine list, or try one of our signature cocktails by Anthony Vitacca. Montrio’s sophisticated, yet comfortable atmosphere attracts locals and passerbys alike with our great Happy Hour, Dinner and a Movie, and Sunday's Half-Priced Wine Night. Come see what everyone is talking about! Located just half a block from the Monterey Marriott and Conference Center, Montrio Bistro is the ideal venue for private parties, events, or meetingsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Montrio Bistro - Best Restaurants in Monterey ›
Montrio Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
189 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (109)special occasion (98)neighborhood gem (69)romantic (61)notable wine list (56)good for groups (44)hot spot (42)vibrant bar scene (27)late-night find (19)kid-friendly (9)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Montrio BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/29/2014Nice little restaurant near the Marriott Hotel. Went on a Monday night at 6:30 and it was packed, so glad we made reservations. Tables are close, but we found it easy to "chat". Our waitress was excellent....great service. I had the special that night... Mahi Mahi on risotto/arugala and it was good, but not excellent. My husband had steak and it was cooked so rare that he had to return it for medium, but he said it wasn't really all that tender, so a disappointment for him. Appetizers of potato truffle and lobster mac & cheese were tasty. All in all a convenient location in a "trendy" area with lots of menu choices; if we are in Monterey again, someday, maybe we would give it a another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frompismoDined on 9/28/2014We love eating at Montrio Bistro. The menu is great and everything is presented beautifully. We have never been disappointed with the food or the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealLuv2dineDined on 9/27/2014Great meal with good choice of vegetarian food and excellent wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Foodvanm9658Dined on 9/22/2014I truly enjoyed the freshness of the ingredients and the manner in which the food was prepared.Special Features:
- Montrio's addictionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014Simply fantastic! Everything about Montrios is great. The service, the ambience, the food, the style, and the wine list is terrific. I feel I am in England every time I go there, I wonder why? THANK YOU!Special Features:
- Outstanding!GreatspotDined on 9/20/2014We were in Monterrey just for the weekend. I found Montrio Bistro on Yelp and it was a great choice!! Our burrata salad (which the kitchen split beautifully) was outstanding! We both loved our entrees. Would definitely come back the next time we are in Monterey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All in all a great restaurant!ElliottDined on 9/20/2014All in all an excellent experience. Food was excellent, decor and ambiance was nice, and service was prompt, friendly, and informed without being overly pushy. There was a nice varied menu to satisfy anyone's preferences. Just what I was looking for for my girlfriend's birthday dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KarenVIPDined on 9/19/2014Always a treat - the attention to detail is wonderful!Special Features:
- PlutoDined on 9/18/2014The noise level is to high for intimate dining but the service was very good. It was cold in the restaurant because windows were left openSpecial Features:
- Foodg123Dined on 9/15/2014The food was good. There were a few things to improve upon. The kale salad was not the best we have ever had.
- WhatAboutBobDined on 9/13/2014We have been eating at Montrio Bistro whenever we visit northern California over the last ten years. Every thing as a rule is at least very good to excellent. The wine list is especially good with a very good wine by the glass listing.Special Features:
- Monterey gemLovefood1Dined on 9/12/2014Having visited Monterey a dozen times, this time without kids, I wanted to find somewhere a little off the beaten track and boy was this a great find... It's a block from the main st.. The menu was amazing... Ambiance was great and service equally great Will definetly come back( Evan with kids)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu and drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Easy walking distance downturn. Friendly service. Vast drink variety. Fun festive environmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014We've been to Montrio Bistro twice, and for good reason. The service and food are amazing. I would definitely recommend starting off with one of their artfully crafted cocktails. Fresh, hot bread while you wait for your food is great, and served with olive oil and vinegar for dipping. The appetizers are great, but filling despite their reasonably small size. I would recommend one, tops, for two people if you're going to eat the bread. The main courses are outstanding, and well-portioned (i.e. not ridiculously large), but still very filling. The service staff are well versed in wine pairing, and I highly recommend a glass with your meal to set it off right. The entire experience is wonderful. It's definitely "our place".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysGenRon314Dined on 9/8/2014Went there on my birthday Sept.8 with my husband and one of our daughters. The server was fantastic. So was the food as always. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beginning to endmomof1chefDined on 9/6/2014The hostess was very personable, we were seated right away even though the restaurant was packed. Our server was quick, friendly and not overly hovering around us. The restaurant was upbeat and fun atmosphere. My lamb chops were perfectly cooked and my husband's roasted duck was delicious !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bait and switch, be vigilantWaryofyouDined on 9/6/2014Ordered an El patron anejo o reposado, yet the waiter and bartender served a different tequila and charged us! When confronted they removed the tequila from the final bill. I felt it was very unethical not to be transparent about their bar menu. The bartender should have told the waiter they don't carry that brand,and not serve a totally different product! Makes you wonder if they do that with other menu items, using a different or inferior item and not tell the customer! Actually had to show the bartender a picture of the tequila we initially ordered, and was told we gave you another variant instead!Special Features:
- Montrio Bistro Wonderful experienceVictoriaBDined on 9/6/2014Absolutely wonderful experience - food, service, ambiance. We went here to celebrate our Mom's 71st birthday and had the whole family encompassing several generations. Montrio Bistro made the celebration wonderful and decorated the table very elegantly. My Mom felt very special and celebrated. They make several recommendations based on your liking and your appetite. We will definitely return and highly recommend. It is truly a wonderful establishment with an elegant, yet easy vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantHampshire79Dined on 9/4/2014My husband and I really enjoyed our evening here. Service good, funky inside, great food and wine. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Great food love the tablecloths!Lynz2709Dined on 9/3/2014We found this on trip advisor, it was near our hotel so thought we'd give it a go. Food was great and good value, it's quirky - you get crayons and can doodle on the tablecloth whilst you are waiting, this was great for us as we'd done a lot over our 11 nights in USA - it was great to relive our trip in this restaurant. I would definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative MenuLuvcreativemenusVIPDined on 8/31/2014Our 16 yr. old daughter selected this restaurant on our visit to Monterey because she said the menu seemed creative and she was right! We started with the Mussels which were tasty in a semi creamy broth. We also chose popcorn duck. Creative appetizer of popcorn flavored with shredded duck and fresh herbs. The mushrooms were also very nice. I had the pork chop which was perfectly cooked and the others had salmon and chicken which were both excellently prepared. The best dessert we've had in a while was the brioche bread pudding which was like a custard and bread pudding together. It tasted a little eggy which we really enjoyed. Service was very friendly, attentive, but not smothering. A great choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Find!AmyandBrianDined on 8/31/2014I found this little gem online looking for a nice place for dinner. Reservations were a piece of cake. Our Waitstaff was Amazing and attentive. The food was phenomenal! We had such a Great evening!Special Features:
- MurrDined on 8/30/2014As always a delight! Consistently delicious food and exceptional service. Go you will be impressed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussels!!!THXGIFDined on 8/30/2014The Mussels appetizer was really wonderful...the best. We had the crab cakes(Very Good) and the mussels, followed by the tomato salad, which we shared (our home grown tomatoes are better) and was also very good. We had scallops (quite good...very tender and well prepared) and the steak special (cooked exactly as requested...plenty of smoke flavor...slightly dry and not as tender as a $38.00 steak should be. We had wine by the glass (more flexibility) and enjoyed it all. Overall we had a really nice evening. Our reservation was for 6:30 and we were pleased with how quiet it was...and when we left at 8:20 it was packed and quite a bit louder, but still not overly so. Would we go again? You bet!!Special Features:
- Great dining experienceAlexDined on 8/30/2014This is a great restaurant with great food and service. We are returning customers and continue to be a return customer.Special Features:
- Yum in Monterey...cflynnlVIPDined on 8/29/2014Another visit to Montrio and they still do it better than anyone else in town. Everything was completely great except the ravioli, no one could even get through but a few bites. Definitely skip!Special Features:
- Great find!gayleepDined on 8/29/2014Montrio Bistro was recommended to us by a good friend. We were in Monterey for a wedding, and had only one night it dine out. This was no disappointment. The good was great. No one at the table was unhappy with their meal. Would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissapointed with NY Steak SpecialSpikermikeVIPDined on 8/27/2014The waitress highly recommended the NY steak special and I inquired if it was USDA Prime Steak and she said it was. The steak was so tough my jaws were sore. My business associate also ordered it and said the same thing as did a few others at our table that we had try it. I expressed my displeasure and she acted as though I was nuts. I've never heard that before she told us. I'd like her to eat one. I'm not saying it was like a shoe sole but it was very much like a cheap cut you would get at Lucky's except for the price. I guess in Monterey near the wharf you can peddle that cheap cut of steak for USDA Prime. Very disappointed as I was going to order the duck and had it before at this restaurant and it was very good.
- Montrio was a special surpriseraeraeVIPDined on 8/27/2014Beautiful space (see the 'clouds' floating above) and wonderful food, beautifully presented. You must try the chicken waffle as an appetizer - delightful comfort food!Special Features:
- WOWKWODDined on 8/24/2014Every time my wife and I go to Monterey we dine ar Montrio Bistro's Everything is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always my first choiceRetiredDudeDined on 8/23/2014Busy restaurant but plenty of seating in the bar area. Pricey but great appetizers and entrees. Not recommended for kids on a Saturday night. Pretty much an all adult restaurant on a Saturday night.Special Features:
- Very nice anniversaryDanFromSanJoseDined on 8/22/2014My wife and I decided to have a nice weekend in Monterey for our 30th anniversary. We wanted a special place for dinner and Montrio Bistro started the weekend off to a great start. I had the rib eye steak special and my wife had the salmon. Both were excellently prepared with tasty side dishes. The service was excellent and very friendly. It was odious that the waiter enjoyed working there. All in all, the food was great, the service was great and the atmosphere was superb.Special Features:
- Good food amongst tourist desertHappyGimletVIPDined on 8/22/2014Food well executed if nothing exciting or unique, reasonable wine list if a little expensive.
- Anniversary 51TerryDined on 8/20/2014A favorite eating place for us. Any time we stop in Monterey we dine at Montrio. The place has a nice feel about it. We got some nice extra attention because of our anniversary. Pleasant staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, Crowded tablesheyhaydenDined on 8/19/2014When we first walked in, our initially reaction was that the bistro was very nice, quite romantic, and very crowded. Each table is placed no more than two feet from the next, so you ca pretty much hear the other tables' conversations around you. The food was delicious, kinda pricey for what you get. For me, only a place for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining in MontereyfoodeaterDined on 8/16/2014The food was amazing! And portions were such that you could have appetizers, entree, and desert! The ambiance was great! I added it as romantic because of that, but it might be a touch loud if you're looking for a truly quiet romantic meal. I felt that the energy of the place really lent itself to something that could still be very romantic if you were ok with it turned up just a little. Service was great. At the very end of the meal the server was a little slow bringing the check and closing it out, but other than that he was amazingly attentive through the whole meal despite the busy evening. I did see a large group there of 10 and more and as well as a couple smaller groups, so they appear to be pretty accommodating for groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/16/2014Great food and service. Artistic and safistcated environmentSpecial Features:
- Always Amazing!AnnZVIPDined on 8/16/2014Had one of my overall favorite dishes for the first time. The pork chop with pineapple and Stilton was phenomenol. The pesto steak is always a favorite. We mixed it up a little on dessert and tried the white chocolate bread pudding. Since neither of us are big white chocolate fans we were skeptical, but our servers advice was spot on. Moist, light and a cross in flavor between a sugar cookie and crema brûlée, we enjoyed every bite. The chocolate ganache mini bite dessert is a small yet perfect ending to a wonderful dining experience as well. Highly recommend you try Montrio.Special Features:
- Found a diamond29andcountingDined on 8/16/2014What a pleasant find great service, great atmosphere, great food, will have to make this nugget part of my top tenSpecial Features:
- eatingoutDined on 8/15/2014The Montrio Bistro is a refuge from the frantic Car Week on the Monterey Peninsula in Aug. We have had several trips to the Monterey area and have been going to The Montrio Bistro for at least 5 years. It is consistently good and also has a small bar for a drink and a quick bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.