451 Carroll St.
Brooklyn, NY 11215Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.montesnyc.com/
- Phone: 7188527800x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Zapparata
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: In house parties available
- Private Party Facilities: Private Events with a guarantee of
50 people. Weekdays: open availabilty.
Weekends: ONLY 12pm-3pm and 1pm-4pm.
- Private Party Contact: Tina 7188527800x
- Special Events: Please join our mailing list to receive updates on upcoming events.
A word from Monte's
Monte's the Oldest Italian Restaurant in Brooklyn is back! Featuring Neopolitan style pizza cooked in our wood burning oven as well as many other dishes. Our kitchen prepares daily homemade pasta and features many regional dishes from the north to the south of Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Monte's reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (7)neighborhood gem (6)good for groups (5)fit for foodies (4)romantic (3)great for lunch (2)special occasion (2)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Really Not All ThatdappieDined on 9/6/2014The variety of the menu was slim. I ordered a frisee salad w/ crabmeat but received romaine instead. I didn't bother to order a main entrée. Service was good.Special Features:
- First time and I'd go backpaz2Dined on 7/26/2014I just moved to the neighborhood and saw decent reviews on Yelp so we gave it a try. The food was very good and the service was good. "Good" meaning we had a very nice waitress and bus staff, but I had to ask for refills on water and other drinks. I would go back for the food and ambiance. Neat little neighborhood restaurant with front and back outdoor seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Mediocre ServicebklyngrlDined on 7/9/2014I took my Italian family to Monte's - I had never been before but always wanted to try it. There were maybe three other tables in the place so it wasn't crowded at all. But there was only one waiter and one bus boy for the whole place. Both were Italian which was nice, but it was noisy and sometimes it was hard for them to understand us. We had to wait a long time for bread, oil, water and wine. It was hard to get the waiter's attention and we wound up having to ask multiple times for bread, oil and water. That's one of those things you shouldn't have to keep asking for. However, once the food started coming, we were very happy. Every order was fantastic. We all got pasta dishes. I want to go back for the pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NickDined on 6/27/2014Good food with excellent service. Plan on going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 48 reviews are from the Monte's reviews archive.
- Food was good, felt like homeMothersDayfind2014Dined on 5/11/2014Highly recommend the Seafood Stew ... Divine!! White Sangria was perfect - our next visit will be to try the pizza, which is made in a brick oven yummySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Italian, Delight, DelishInTheNeighborhoodDined on 2/1/2014We had a lovely meal at Monte's. Heard it had reopened under new management and boasted a genuine italian menu. We were not disappointed. Great cheeses, great salumi, wonderful homemade tomato sauce, fish excellently prepared. Attentive competent service. Not too noisy, not too quiet. Casual, comfortable, worked out well. We'll be back for pizza, have heard it's some of the best around. And there's parking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deplorable service.rudbudDined on 1/11/2014After waiting close to an hour for the food to come to our table, I wait an additional 20 minutes to then find out they couldn't make my food because they did not have all the ingredients. This is the first time I've ever heard of such a thing on a SATURDAY NIGHT!!! And worse yet, the replacement was much lower quality; but they insisted on charging me the same. Also, beware that this is an AMEX (and cash) exclusive restaurant. Luckily they have an ATM right there for 'your convenience'. This website should do better in warning customers about exclusive payment options.
- Horrible serviceLove2eatDined on 12/31/2013I went to the restaurant on a date. The service was horrible. We got ignored when we got there for about 10 min. When we sat, it took 20min to get our waitress. Our wine order came after we finished our appetizer. We only got water and bread because I asked for it. The food was bad as well. The appetizer, mozzarella and tomato salad was fine. I got my tagliatelle and it was a soup. There was so much thin broth. It was covered in arugula. I got two pieces of shrimp and two small scallops. Would not recommend this restaurant at all. The waitresses kept avoiding eye contact so they wouldn't have to help us. The table next to us waited an hour to get their food.
- Limited and ConfusedPintsDined on 12/31/2013Me and my fiance had dinner here on New Years Eve. I thought the food was very good. They brought out the wrong appetizer at first, but quickly corrected the mistake (10 minutes). My ratings are mediocre because the poor couple next to us had every part of their order messed up. The brought the wrong main course for the girl and then said her original order would be out in 20 minutes while the guy sat in front of his food. Then the brought soup to her so they could eat together. Then he was done, so she asked for something as fast as possible and she settled with pizza. When they messed up our appetizer at first, I was worried that we'd be in for the same thing, but we were lucky. Also, no wine list (5 of red/ 5 of white).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waitress not friendly. NoOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/13/2013Waitress not friendly. No introduction, just a hi, what to do you want to drink. Waited a while for my app, it was just a cheese plate. Waitress couldn't care less. Food was good but unfortunately I will not be returning because of the service. Also, poor white wine selection.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood SpotMareVIPDined on 10/12/2013An inventive menu with great entrees and flatbread to die for. Many of the dishes are done in the wood fired oven. We highly recommend this restaurant.iSpecial Features:
- Great Pizza Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/14/2013We've been to Monte's three times this past summer and have had pizza each time. The pizza is GREAT and this past week, we also had the calzone which was FABULOUS! We have also had the fried calamari (perfectly crispy), beet salad and baked clams (all very good). The proprietress, Tina, greeted us at the door and also checked in with us before we left. Monte's has very attentive service, a nice atmosphere and parking!! We will surely be back.Special Features:
- It's a shame that the serviceLiv2eatVIPDined on 6/16/2013It's a shame that the service here is so poor because the food is excellent.
- Lovely quiet Italian restaurant.MareVIPDined on 6/12/2013Lovely quiet Italian restaurant. Great pizza by the meter. Try the deserts!!Special Features:
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2013The food and service were very good. Would definitely come back. It feels like a nice local go to restaurant. We all enjoyed what we ordered and the service was very attentive and helpful. Would definitely go back for both lunch and dinner and would recommend to friends. The pizza was great, made me feel like i was back in Italy, very authentic. We ordered pasta dishes and everything was very fresh and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time, wednesday niteOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/20/2013first time, wednesday nite for Brooklyn Restaurant deal..the special menu was not appealing at all so we decided to stick with the regular menu...spent much more than we would have if we could have ordered from special restaurant week menu. However, our meal was delicious. lamb meatballs for appetizer and lobster ravioli with shrimp. for desert, nutella pizza. what a treat. would definitely come back. the service and staff was extremely nice.Special Features:
- Wanted to check this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/16/2013Wanted to check this place out for a while, being that it's Brooklyn's oldest Italian restaurant. The food was very good, but nothing extraordinary. The pizza was very tasty and the pasta dish we had was also good. I would go back.Special Features:
- Met the owner Tina & an ExcellentJeffDined on 2/22/2013Met the owner Tina & an Excellent Staff. Our waiter Jerry was at the Top of his game. Will recommend this to everyone. Will be back.Special Features:
- This was the first time toOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/10/2013This was the first time to Montes. I liked it as soon as I turned the corner. The food was very good and our server Gerry was a real professional. I would recommend this resturant to others and I will certainly return.Special Features:
- I went with memories of Monte'sBrooklyniteVIPDined on 11/13/2012I went with memories of Monte's Venetian Room. While the food was delicious, the atmosphere was non-existent. Half the restaurant has a bar with a TV playing (silently). So there was no ambiance. The service was also a little slow, but friendly. But the food was really very good.Special Features:
- monte's not worth the tripOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2012really has become a pizza place. half menu is devoted to pizza. not one veal dish on the menu. this is an italian restaurant without veal? food was mediocre and not up to par with local italian restaurants with better menus and cheaper prices.
- Went here years ago and alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/19/2012Went here years ago and always liked it. It's reopened and couldn't be better!! Our food was delicious, the service was great. We all had different specials and all of them great! My only complaint was that we all had sangria and couldn't get a pitcher of it.Special Features:
- My family is Italian, andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/17/2012My family is Italian, and I am used to praising Arthur Ave for the best Italian food, but this food was phenomenal (and much closer to home!). The staff is friendly and attentive. I would recommend sitting out back in the garden if possible, it's a nice little alcove.Special Features:
- Average!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/8/2012The food was just okay. The seafood appetizer was overlooked and very chewy. The service was slow,I waited 15 minutes for the check even after asking 3 of the staff for it. Note to All: even though the site says they accept Amex, visa and MasterCard ....the ONLY accept AMEX and cash payments.Special Features:
- Should have ordered pizza.RichVIPDined on 5/27/2012Should have ordered pizza. Food was nothing to write home about.Special Features:
- A neighborhood gemAnnetteRSDined on 5/26/2012Authentic Italian cuisine, delicious pizzas from the woodburning oven, and a knack for serving the freshest shellfish make Monte's a winner. It doesn't need to be trendy or hip - the food speaks for itself. Homemade pastas are perfect and there are always interesting specials. The chef really knows how to create interesting flavors - the appetizer of clams, sausage and potatoes in white wine is unexpected and delicious. And try the fritto misto, a combo of calamari and shrimp that arrives wrapped in paper to keep in the flavor and heat. Once you open it - ahhhhh!Special Features:
- Our first time at Monte'sADinerDined on 5/19/2012Our first time at Monte's since the new owners. Not sure why some reviewers call this "old school Italian." The original was old school; this isn't exactly cutting edge, but certainly more modern. The brick oven pizza was good (somewhere between artisanal & traditional; not stellar, but good enough that I'll try it again); spinach salad was very good. Service was friendly, if not quite efficient. Another reviewer complains service and/or kitchen were slow; we thought it was nice--and certainly more authentically Italian--not to be rushed through a meal. This might not be the place for a special occasion, but it fills a certain niche--solid neighborhood restaurant--and fills it well.Special Features:
- Kathy, Milwaukee wiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2012Food was excellent and lots of interesting choices. Pizza and sangria superb! Spinach salad worth going back for. Lovely servers!Special Features:
- Authentic Italian CuisineAnnetteRSDined on 5/10/2012This is real, authentic Italian cuisine. The pizzas are wonderful, and the "metro" pizza makes a good share. Appetizers like the "clams, sausage and potatoes in a white wine sauce" and the "fritto misto" are inspired and delicious. Pastas are excellent. Monte's has a good, well priced wine list, and some very nice desserts. Excellent expresso. The owners are friendly and do a great job. What I like the most is that they have a very authentic cuisine. Not some "faux Tuscany" food, but what my mother and grandmother made at home and for special occasions. Bravissimo! ""Special Features:
- I should have had the pizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/21/2012I should have had the pizza I guess. The appetizer frito misto was quite good, it was the entrees and dessert that were not great. Grilled chicken was way over salted although the portion was generous. The bucatini was dry and tasteless. The orange flavored vodka tasted not quite right but the wine was good. The chocolate almond cake was just a mousse type chocolate cake not that interesting. the ambiance was very nice I have to say. I was looking forward to finally going to Monte's after years of living in Brooklyn.
- Friendly staff, deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/18/2012Friendly staff, delicious pizza, fairly priced wine list. Monte's is like stepping back in time. I hope it has a long and happy future.Special Features:
- Great Restaurantpinklady13VIPDined on 3/14/2012We went there on a beautiful sunny evening so we decided to dine outside. There is no view but it would have been a shame to let those tables outside not be used. Leo provided excellent service and the food was great. If we would be in that area of Brooklyn we would definitely go back and absolutely recommend this restaurant for excellent food and service. Definitely want to go back there as we saw the fresh pasta drying.Special Features:
- A Carroll Gardens Gem!AnnetteRSDined on 3/10/2012What a wonderful surprise! The new restaurant is unrecognizable from the old Monte's Venetian Room, and the food is incredible. There's a chef in the kitchen who really knows what he's doing, and my wife was thrilled to see some childhood staples on the menu. Everything was wonderfully prepared with the freshest ingredients. My wife had clams, sausage and potatoes in a while wine sauce that was flavorful and perfectly cooked. My homemade cavatelli with wild boar was delicious, and the cavatelli had just the right amount of chewiness. The people at the next table had pizzas that also looked delicious. Service was very good. This is the kind of place that we'll tell all our friends about, and we'll be back again - soon!Special Features:
- Service is great and the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/9/2012Service is great and the food is always outstanding, never had a bad meal, only downfall was that we ordered a bottle of Presco to celebrate my birhtday and it came warm...I was disappointed after enjoying all my previous visits.Special Features:
- This is a new and modernizedChrissyDined on 2/26/2012This is a new and modernized Monte's with an open kitchen and pizza oven in view. Don't mistake it for the old one with the unique Venetian mural. Food was good, not spectacular, and menu was extensive. The real asset is an onsite parking lot - a rarity for Park Slope, Carroll Gardens and Boerum Hill dining.Special Features:
- Good Food - Bad ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/16/2012This isn't the first time I've gone to Monte's, but it may be my last for a while. Althought the food was good, the service was very slow. We ordered two pizza's and they didn't come out at the same time. We had our two children with us on a school night and a quick bite to eat took over an hour. The restaurant wasn't that full either. The menu is great, but it is missing a few things like a make your own pizza option. I don't think I've ever been to a pizza place where you could only eat their creations. My 9 year old wanted sausage and mushroom and they gave us a hard time about ordering off the menu. I really liked the Diavola, but there are other pizza joints in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- WE LOOK FORWARD TO RETURNINGOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/6/2012WE LOOK FORWARD TO RETURNING TO MONTE'S: IT OFFERS A FRIENDLY AND COMFORTABLE ENVIRONMENT, WITH VERY GOOD FOOD AT AFFORDABLE PRICES.Special Features:
- Monte's was better than Igentlwind2Dined on 12/24/2011Monte's was better than I expected. The food was great, the service terrific and the atmosphere was very friendly. Not too loud and not too quiet. Its a perfect restaurant for a romantic dinner and for a dinner with a group of friends all because of the ambience. I would recommend to friends and I'll be returning! CherylSpecial Features:
- The Siciian chef, Salvo isOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/18/2011The Siciian chef, Salvo is great with every dish. His pastas are excellent and he makes a super-great Ceasar Salad.Special Features:
- Went in for brunch and wasRR546Dined on 11/5/2011Went in for brunch and was pleasantly surprised as last time I was here it was less than desireable and the food was not much to write home about. Everything from the decor to the fresh ingredients made the whole experience quite enjoyable. I had a braseole panini which was absolutely delicious and creamy. My girlfriend had the capriccosia pizza and enjoyed it immensely though she would have preferred for the artichoke hearts to be chopped finer. Definitely peaked our interest to come in for dinner one evening for dinner. Im sure we will be back. I really liked the open style kitchen and photos from the early 1900's hanging throughout the restaurant.Special Features: