Monterey Bay Fish Grotto - Monroeville
705 Mall Circle Drive
Monroeville, PA 15146Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Monterey Bay Fish Grotto - Monroeville
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.montereybayfishgrotto.com/
- Phone: 4123748530
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Monterey Bay Fish Grotto - Monroeville
Thank you for considering Monterey Bay Fish Grotto for your affair. Our award-winning restaurant has always taken pride in its level of standards and excellence. These exceptional standards are reflected in our mouth-watering fresh fish and impeccable service. Our guests have come to expect this level of quality in every aspect of our main dining room as well as our private dining rooms. Monterey Bay Fish Grotto's fish is fresh and flown in from a number of locations on the East Coast, West Coast and Hawaiian Islands. for this reason we are the regions Premier Fresh Fish Restaurant offering 20 kinds of fresh fish in an array of original, delicious stylesContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Monterey Bay Fish Grotto - Monroeville - Best Restaurants in Monroeville ›
Monterey Bay Fish Grotto - Monroeville reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (32)romantic (25)fit for foodies (13)notable wine list (12)neighborhood gem (11)great for lunch (5)good for groups (5)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Was entertaining colleagues from out of town, and all were pleased with the entire experience.Special Features:
- Old standbySimonrDined on 9/6/2014Not up to usual Standards. Entree's were excellent. Sides were sent back to reheat.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLawrenceDined on 8/30/2014The service was good and the manager dutifully came by to make sure all was well. However I expected better quality cuisine. The specialty seafood bisque was heavy and was not served hot; may have sat for a bit in the kitchen. The Dover Sole was a bit soggy and average. The risotto side dish was pungent which was improved when I asked for grated cheese. My guest and I expected better food prep for the price that was paid at Monterey Bay.
- Not an overall 5 star experienceAnnEatsDined on 8/25/2014The food was very good. The host was overbearing. The new waitress was friendly but admitted she didn't eat fish - a problem for me at a fish restaurant.Special Features:
- High end restaurant in a mallcherluiVIPDined on 8/23/2014We were plesantly surprised at the high-end restaurant experience in the setting of a mall. The food was delicious and the crab cake was one of the best we had. The service was verrryyyyy slow - we waited almost 45 min for our entree. The manager was very apologetic and sent us complimentary desert. We will return to this restaurant when we are in the area again.Special Features:
- Business dinnerSirEatsaLotDined on 8/22/2014We asked for a quiet spot to discuss business. We were seated in a corner booth which worked perfectly. The staff was very friendly and did not seem bothered by the fact that we lingered a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedClassyk67Dined on 8/22/2014Not friendly service. Food pricey not worth it. Made reservations was trying to put us at the worst table in the restaurant. Why make reservations??
- Not What ExpectedAllanDined on 8/21/2014Wasn't what we expected, fish did not seem as fresh as advertised. Trying to do The Steakhouse thing with sides just doesn't fit.Special Features:
- Great food and servicecasualdinerDined on 8/15/2014The food and service were both excellent. The restaurant is a little hard to find, it's down a walkway beside Barnes and Noble. The atmosphere was very quiet and the restaurant was not very busy, which made for a very pleasurable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exellent as alwaysDave1eatnfoolDined on 8/13/2014I have loved Monterey Bay since it's inception as Rodi Grill House. I have used all of their venues. The food and service are second to none.Special Features:
- Special Occasion Dining ExperienceOurSpecialPlacetoDineDined on 8/10/2014We enjoy dining at Monterey Bay for special occasions because the food is so special and the service is very personalized.Special Features:
- Excellent seafoodTom5Dined on 8/2/2014Many options with multiple ways of preparing each type of fish. if you like fish this is one of the best places in Greater Pittsburgh for variety and quality.Special Features:
- Food better than serviceLeaderDined on 7/30/2014There is never a large crowd on a weekday - yet they still seem understaffed. Took a very long time to get the bill. Also - while food is good - this restaurant is overpriced.
- FantasticProfessorDined on 7/16/2014One of the best seafood places around town. You will pay for the freshness, but it's worth it. Try the crab cakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad ExperienceVickiDined on 7/3/2014We have dined here for every anniversary. This time was the worst!!! Fruit Flies, Wrong Entree, and it took over and hour to get our meals.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2014We enjoy coming there because the food is good. We have celebrated our birthday's there for the last few years and have enjoyed the variety of seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable EveningJake1Dined on 6/29/2014My wife and I had an enjoyable celebration of our 24th Anniversary!Special Features:
- fabulous as alwaysDTBKDined on 6/28/2014If you have never been here, GO! The food is unbelievable, the atmosphere is romantic and quiet, the service is top notch. Monterey Bay Fish Grotto is one of the gems of the Pittsburgh area without a doubt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu Stinks69erVIPDined on 6/28/2014There is not a good selection of vegetables that most would enjoy such as: Bake Potatoes, Mashed Potatoes, Corn, Carrots, etc. Not everyone likes mushrooms. Extremely disappointed, won't go back.
- Monterey Bay is a culinary delight!SusanfoodieforlifeDined on 6/21/2014Beginning with the wine and ending with specialty coffee and homemade desserts, a culinary pleasure!! I highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An old friend revisitedTomGDined on 6/15/2014I have been to Monterey Bay many times before in it's previous loacation, but not after it moved to the mall. Delightee to find the food whas as good or better than ever, and the ambiance was great.Special Features:
- MajorWilliamsDined on 6/15/2014Great time! All the food was excellent. The staff was wonderful and perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst $400 dinner everredsonjaDined on 6/7/2014Having been to the Monroeville location previously, we expected a good dinner. Boy were we wrong. It started off with badly made martinis, followed by horribly slow service capped off with mediocre food at best. When we told the manager dinner and service was slow he went off to check on it and we never saw him again. We were there for 2 1/2 hours which is utterly ridiculous. The lobster carbonara at $42 was tasteless and bland. The salmon special was good, but pathetically small. If you want a nice evening out and want good service and seafood, Monterey Bay Monroeville is not the place to go.
- ColoradansDined on 6/7/2014Good appetizer at the bar. Food excellent as always. Went early so very quiet. Everyone could find something that they liked. Restaurant neat and clean. Liked going to the mall afterwards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jaybirdinmurrysvillejaybirdinmurrysvilleDined on 5/28/2014A great celebration of a mutual accomplishment! We dined in a lovely booth by what we call the "wall of wine." We were presented with generously large glasses, appropriate for our Dusi Zinfandel from Paso Robles CA (BYOB corkage fee an attractive $10). Our knowledgeable and friendly server shared a sip with us (my suggestion), and discussed the menu and specials. My wife and I opted for the fresh fish 1.5 to 2 inches thick; delicious Ahi Tuna, Oscar style with crab-meat, asparagus and hollandaise and Yellow Fin Tuna stuffed with spinach, feta cheese and mushrooms. Our sides included a great Spinach and Roasted Beet salad and delicious Brussels Sprouts w/ Bacon (shared). Our Celebration concluded with a Tuxedo Pie. Divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 463 reviews are from the Monterey Bay Fish Grotto - Monroeville reviews archive.
- Frequent dinerBeenherebeforeDined on 5/16/2014Wonderful place for fresh fish and crab cakes are the best I've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where are the sides?SidesDined on 5/15/2014I have been to Monterey Bay several times before, and really enjoyed it. Although expensive, the ambiance, service and quality of food was always worth the price on a special occasion. However this time, we were advised that everything was ala carte. I don't know when this policy took effect, but given the price of a dinner, how much would it cost the owners to serve a salad and potato with scallops, which cost $35.99? what could have been a great experience with friends turned out to be more pricey for some of us who bought side dishes, and a disappointment for those who paid $36 for 4 scallops.Special Features:
- Fresh SeafoodDinner42Dined on 5/3/2014Seafood was fresh. The waiter was attentive and knowledgeable. The manager stopped at each table to check in on diners. The hostesses were slow in reception.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small portions and overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2014The "feel" of the place is nice and the staff is very friendly, but for the price you really are not getting the bang for your buck. I've been there twice and neither time have I walked away dying to go back.Special Features:
- excellent as expectedrusswDined on 4/22/2014There are few restaurants that we choose to eat at while in the Pgh area. This is definitelyone of them. It has been a while since we were able to get to Monterey Bay and we were not disappointed in any way. The sampler appetizer and the main courses were all very good. The best part was we were able to treat friends to the experience for their first time at Monterey. They also loved it! We also like the fact that even when crowded, the atmosphere and the noise remains good at this location. We have found that the Mt. Washington restaurant has the spectacular food, but for a nice quiet dinner, we like Monroeville better.Special Features:
- Lunch was wonderfulPittgirlVIPDined on 4/18/2014Thank you for a wonderful lunch the other day. The food and service were fantastic. We wanted to be left alone and the server respected that. We appreciate it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/10/2014Three of us attended dinner for a high level business dinner. We spent a considerable amount of money and tipped well. The food frankly wasjust bad. Not sure if they had an off day or what. My client ate nothing. She politely boxed it and I assume it's in the trash.
- PriceykmkmDined on 4/5/2014Food is way overpriced for the quality and quantity. Food was not hot. Service was OK. I will not be returning.
- Great for a groupPickyfairDined on 3/29/2014Part of our group was very late, however everyone was very accommodating! One thing I never experienced before..... When we asked for individual checks they even split the sides...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terribleTK1012Dined on 3/29/2014It wont let me write my whole story.Bottom line terrible services for the $$$$ h2o guy was only one that paid attention.just cause we dont dress fancy doesnt mean we dont tip well.Seemed like we were judged from the door.total of maybe 6-8 tables on a sat ngt at 700pm.Ruined wife bday.we wont be back been to both places in pgh night and day from town.be surprised if the place is open another 6 months.
- Delightful AmbianceTeekDined on 3/29/2014The restaurant was very beautiful and elegant. The host and servers were very polite and provided outstanding service. I loved the surroundings as the guest were enjoying theirselves. I know I will surely be going to the Monterey Bay again as well as recommending friends to go too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- But wonderingBirthdayDined on 3/21/2014I received 4 confirmation emails from you--and a call from Monterey Bay. Then when we arrived they did not even have any record of our reservation. But there were so few people in the place that we did get a tableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for NON-BUSINESS dining!GinnyBDined on 3/18/2014The purpose of the dinner was to interview a potential employee. The hostess was very friendly and promptly offered to seat us for the reservation. The server explained the menu thoroughly. The food, was hot and absolutely delicious. What did bother me was the server, we were doing an interview and she was constantly reaching across the table taking things off. It felt as if she could not wait for us to leave. I know they have to turn tables quickly, but the place was half-empty, and I was conducting an interview, so I found her to be EXTREMELY disruptive and intrusive. I would definitely go there again; however, if I am anticipating in a longer dinner, with engaging conversation, I think I wuld choose somewhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialWallyDined on 3/17/2014We like Monterey Bay to celebrate special occasions like birthdays and anniversaries. A great place to take that special person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2014Not a good service experience at this restaurant. A supposedly high end restaurant with servers that just were not good. It took time to get a first drink and then forever to get a second drink. People next to us were vocally complaining about the quality of the drinks. We ordered finally and the salad came within 10 minutes. After we finished the salads no one would clean off our table of the salad dishes. And we waited about 45 minutes for our entrée. Bottom line... the server was not professional in handling the many problems that we and other customers were having and the wait for food and drinks was extreme. Need to have better management!