Monterey Bay Fish Grotto - Monroeville
705 Mall Circle Drive
Monroeville, PA 15146Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Monterey Bay Fish Grotto - Monroeville
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.montereybayfishgrotto.com/
- Phone: (412) 374-8530
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Monterey Bay Fish Grotto - Monroeville
Thank you for considering Monterey Bay Fish Grotto for your affair. Our award-winning restaurant has always taken pride in its level of standards and excellence. These exceptional standards are reflected in our mouth-watering fresh fish and impeccable service. Our guests have come to expect this level of quality in every aspect of our main dining room as well as our private dining rooms. Monterey Bay Fish Grotto's fish is fresh and flown in from a number of locations on the East Coast, West Coast and Hawaiian Islands. for this reason we are the regions Premier Fresh Fish Restaurant offering 20 kinds of fresh fish in an array of original, delicious stylesContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Monterey Bay Fish Grotto - Monroeville - Best Restaurants in Monroeville ›
Monterey Bay Fish Grotto - Monroeville reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (39)romantic (29)notable wine list (19)fit for foodies (19)good for groups (10)neighborhood gem (9)great for lunch (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (3)hot spot (1)Show More
- StawojtonDined on 11/21/2014Overall good time. Prices were fair with food & service very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Went with my fiancée for a special date night. Everything was superb and exceeded my expectations for what fine dining is. Even though it's located in a shopping mall, it was a surprising lovely respite in what I imagined would have been a busy mall environment. Yet its location was perfectly situated outside of the hustle and bustle. The food and service were fantastic. I heartily recommend it for those who have the wallet or want an exquisite experience with that special someone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Personalized MenuREK108Dined on 11/12/2014I mentioned in my Open Table reservation request that it was my wife's birthday. When she opened her menu at the table, it said "Happy Birthday Mrs. ______" at the top of the page!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love to Eat Good FoodGR8FDLUVRDined on 10/30/2014My experience at Monterey was very good. I only had a brief business lunch, fully intend on bringing my wife back for dinner. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- $$$$$alexioDined on 10/25/2014Third visit in three years -- was better three years ago. Some entree's not available; No Lobster dishes available in a Fish Grotto??? Where prices are sky high??? Reflects the deteriorating conditions at the adjoining mall, perhaps in the Country. Service was "rushed" for all that money. There are much better establishments nearby; and we'll make the trip next season to either 'The Nest' in Jeannette or battle the freeway to downtown, where prices, service and food presentation/quality are much more competitive. The nearby Coin Show is the only reason we were there...
- Great SeafoodcjstakeDined on 10/25/2014We were celebrating our Anniversary. Having eaten at the Downtown location previously, we decided to try Monroeville. It was quiet and easy to access with great food. It was a great experience. I recommend the Grilled Cheese Cake dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little disappointed!MajorWilliamsDined on 10/24/2014The atmoshpere was great. Our service was very good. Very attentive as our drinks were never more than halfway. The only flaw was the Red snapper. The presentation was very nice, but I have never had Red Snapper before and is why I selected it. I just wished the staff would have been assertive and asked if I had ever had it before. I did not prefer the taste and the texture was not of my preference. If you enjoy tough, very bland fish, then snapper is just for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/24/2014If you're looking for a memorable dining experience or celebrating a special occasion, this is the place to go. The quality of the food ingredients with inspired preparation, along with attention to detail and service is worth every penny (expect to pay over $100/couple). Chilled fork with salad, best ever raspberry vinagrette, fish prepared precisely to order and an over-the-top imaginative dessert, all delivered by appropriately attentive wait staff who are eager to please and happily accommodate special requests. And the attention to detail also carried over to the ladies room --clean, perfectly appointed, visually pleasing. We walked out of the restaurant completely content, completely satisfied.Special Features:
- Monterey baybeckyDined on 10/18/2014The food is very good, but the entrees are smaller portions and do not come with any side items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What? No Tea??TeatotalerDined on 10/18/2014My husband and I took out guests from Canada to Monterey Bay for dinner. After dinner we got a dessert to split - Grilled Angel Food cake was delicious! However - I asked for hot tea...they brought me the tea box to select my tea - and all they offered was flavored teas. No regular, black leaf tea..seriously??? This was the only thing that I caught as a disappointment. Other than that our experience was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!ANNIEDined on 10/16/2014Good food and service! Generous portions! It was difficult to locate, even with Mapqest and online vocal directions; had to call the restearant and have them walk us to the door!iSpecial Features:
- Great food, great serviceMaggieMayDined on 10/3/2014Our server, Serena, was like her namesake...perfect serves (service) and wonderful food. We relaxed for a special, romantic dinner and like a good server, she was never in the way, or out of the way. The food was perfect...and we had it all...appetizers, soup, salad, main course. Fish was wonderful, as was the grilled romaine salad and the beet salad. Entrees of scallops and shrimp and stuffed shrimp were prepared to perfection. Didn't have room for dessert, but I'm confident that would have been perfect too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First-time customerslovemelDined on 10/3/2014Didn't know what to expect, but we were pleased at the service, atmosphere, and foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for adventurous foodies.horidDined on 10/3/2014Food was fantastic! A little expensive for amount of food received. However overall worth it. Side are plentiful. Staff was friendly and knowledgeable if menu and competitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014We were there for a business meeting and one of the gentlemen at the table left his iPhone and wallet when we exited. It was gone within the 3 minutes it took him to return. I am truly disappointed as I had the impression that this was an upscale establishment. There were very few patrons there at this time and the wallet and phone were on the floor, under his chair, in the dimly lit room. I can't make assumptions but I would suggest that you skip the coat check room, if that service is ever offered.
- Great service, wonderful bartender!MaggiemaeDined on 10/2/2014While a bit pricey, Monteray Bay Fish Grotto had great service and top notch Margaritas. Our server Sophia was attentive and smart and the food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!JustmeDined on 9/26/2014The fish was really fresh and done right. The side ingredients well balanced out with the fresh taste of the fish. The bread was superb.Special Features:
- Wonderful as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/23/2014This is always our special occasion 'go to'. Still the best crab cakes in the country in our opinion. THE freshest fish in Pittsburgh and probably the East Coast. The ahi tuna with peach appetizer was definitely worth the try. We do like the Monroeville location as it is just more relaxed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Ordered the clams and calamari for appetizers. Both were GREAT. I ordered the stuffed scallops with crab meat. My date ordered the Thai peanut sauce halibut. We both LOVED our food. The food, service, experiences were second to none. Well worth it. I dine here for all special occasions.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Was entertaining colleagues from out of town, and all were pleased with the entire experience.Special Features:
- Old standbySimonrDined on 9/6/2014Not up to usual Standards. Entree's were excellent. Sides were sent back to reheat.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLawrenceDined on 8/30/2014The service was good and the manager dutifully came by to make sure all was well. However I expected better quality cuisine. The specialty seafood bisque was heavy and was not served hot; may have sat for a bit in the kitchen. The Dover Sole was a bit soggy and average. The risotto side dish was pungent which was improved when I asked for grated cheese. My guest and I expected better food prep for the price that was paid at Monterey Bay.
- Not an overall 5 star experienceAnnEatsDined on 8/25/2014The food was very good. The host was overbearing. The new waitress was friendly but admitted she didn't eat fish - a problem for me at a fish restaurant.Special Features:
- High end restaurant in a mallcherluiVIPDined on 8/23/2014We were plesantly surprised at the high-end restaurant experience in the setting of a mall. The food was delicious and the crab cake was one of the best we had. The service was verrryyyyy slow - we waited almost 45 min for our entree. The manager was very apologetic and sent us complimentary desert. We will return to this restaurant when we are in the area again.Special Features:
- Business dinnerSirEatsaLotDined on 8/22/2014We asked for a quiet spot to discuss business. We were seated in a corner booth which worked perfectly. The staff was very friendly and did not seem bothered by the fact that we lingered a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedClassyk67Dined on 8/22/2014Not friendly service. Food pricey not worth it. Made reservations was trying to put us at the worst table in the restaurant. Why make reservations??
- Not What ExpectedAllanDined on 8/21/2014Wasn't what we expected, fish did not seem as fresh as advertised. Trying to do The Steakhouse thing with sides just doesn't fit.Special Features:
- Great food and servicecasualdinerDined on 8/15/2014The food and service were both excellent. The restaurant is a little hard to find, it's down a walkway beside Barnes and Noble. The atmosphere was very quiet and the restaurant was not very busy, which made for a very pleasurable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exellent as alwaysDave1eatnfoolDined on 8/13/2014I have loved Monterey Bay since it's inception as Rodi Grill House. I have used all of their venues. The food and service are second to none.Special Features:
- Special Occasion Dining ExperienceOurSpecialPlacetoDineDined on 8/10/2014We enjoy dining at Monterey Bay for special occasions because the food is so special and the service is very personalized.Special Features:
- Excellent seafoodTom5Dined on 8/2/2014Many options with multiple ways of preparing each type of fish. if you like fish this is one of the best places in Greater Pittsburgh for variety and quality.Special Features:
- The following 476 reviews are from the Monterey Bay Fish Grotto - Monroeville reviews archive.
- Food better than serviceLeaderDined on 7/30/2014There is never a large crowd on a weekday - yet they still seem understaffed. Took a very long time to get the bill. Also - while food is good - this restaurant is overpriced.
- FantasticProfessorDined on 7/16/2014One of the best seafood places around town. You will pay for the freshness, but it's worth it. Try the crab cakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad ExperienceVickiDined on 7/3/2014We have dined here for every anniversary. This time was the worst!!! Fruit Flies, Wrong Entree, and it took over and hour to get our meals.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2014We enjoy coming there because the food is good. We have celebrated our birthday's there for the last few years and have enjoyed the variety of seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable EveningJake1Dined on 6/29/2014My wife and I had an enjoyable celebration of our 24th Anniversary!Special Features:
- fabulous as alwaysDTBKDined on 6/28/2014If you have never been here, GO! The food is unbelievable, the atmosphere is romantic and quiet, the service is top notch. Monterey Bay Fish Grotto is one of the gems of the Pittsburgh area without a doubt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu Stinks69erVIPDined on 6/28/2014There is not a good selection of vegetables that most would enjoy such as: Bake Potatoes, Mashed Potatoes, Corn, Carrots, etc. Not everyone likes mushrooms. Extremely disappointed, won't go back.
- Monterey Bay is a culinary delight!SusanfoodieforlifeDined on 6/21/2014Beginning with the wine and ending with specialty coffee and homemade desserts, a culinary pleasure!! I highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An old friend revisitedTomGDined on 6/15/2014I have been to Monterey Bay many times before in it's previous loacation, but not after it moved to the mall. Delightee to find the food whas as good or better than ever, and the ambiance was great.Special Features: