299 Adelaide Street West
Toronto, ON M5V 1P7Neighborhood:
Downtown / Entertainment District
CalifornianPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.montecitorestaurant.ca/
- Phone: 4165990299x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Afternoon: Monday - Sunday: 2:30pm - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Late Night Menu - Monday - Sunday: 11:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matt Robertson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Montecito
A visionary partnership between director Ivan Reitman and world-renowned chef Jonathan Waxman.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Montecito reviews from OpenTable diners
144 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (80)hot spot (71)good for groups (69)special occasion (63)notable wine list (47)romantic (45)neighborhood gem (40)great for lunch (34)great for brunch (22)late-night find (20)vibrant bar scene (19)great for outdoor dining (17)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (5)Show More
- PhenomenalInaraaDined on 9/15/2014We went as two couples for dinner, one couple recently having been married. I reserved online and asked that a dessert come out with two candles at the end of the meal. We arrived to find the menu pre-printed with the word "Congrats" in the corner. Service was perfect throughout. As each course came out, the food seemed to be getting more and more delicious. The Kale salad is so so good having had 5-6 different kale salads and making my own. The duck and chicken tasted delish and were generous portions (very rich though as skin is on!) and desserts unreal. I had the cookie sandwich with pistachio ice cream. They delivered dessert on a large platter with word Congrats again. Am waiting for an opportunity to return. Fantastic experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Airy, fun, delicious.KrisMcConkeyDined on 9/13/2014Montecito has a fun, varied menu. The food is prepared to a very high standard and everything the kitchen serves seems to be delicious. Not one of our party was disappointed. The service was excellent and the atmosphere was relaxed. All in all a superb place for a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I loved it and will return.BidnesfoodieDined on 9/13/2014I loved it and will return. Wonderful ambiance and and excellent decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classy addition to the areaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014An upscale addition to an area that has a lot of cheap and cheerful or roadhouse style options. Great food in an atmposhere of understated elegance. Despite its size, noise levels are not a problem and you can have a private conversation even when the restaurant is busy as there is actually space between the tables and no blaring muzak. Great for business meetings or any occasion when you want to be able to enjoy the conversation as much as the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MontecitosuegDined on 9/12/2014What a great new place in town! We call it the new Courtyard Café! Big and lots of action, morning, noon and night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!LavittoriaDined on 9/11/2014I had a great birthday experience! The upstairs bar was a warm, inviting experience! The restaurant accommodated my extra guest arrival with a new table, right away despite the busy night during Tiff! Thank you Lisa! The server was great and also suggested the Sommelier come speak to us regarding a wonderful wine selection and finally the food was DELICIOUS! Compliments to the chef!! The atmosphere is amazing and getting to view the gorgeous views of montecito while dinning is great too!! We are planning to return very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceBettyCooperVIPDined on 9/11/2014We went to this new restaurant during TIFF and really enjoyed it. It's a beautiful space with excellent food, great service and a wonderful wine list. I'll definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Montecito is no Barbuto !Onsite4diningDined on 9/11/2014Yet another restaurant for the Toronto Glitterati!The plush ambience and decor do not suit the Californian menu of Jonathan Waxman who hit just the right mix at his restaurant Barbuto in NYC.Service was attentive and polite but the food needs better attention to detail.The charcuterie starter was excellent as were desserts,however the signature JW Chicken and the JW (smashed) Potatoes,the main reason to go,are not as good as at Barbuto.The chicken was on the dry side and not as well presented and the potatoes were also overdone.The wine list leaves a lot to be desired as there is little under $50.00.If you want to enjoy the true J W Waxman experience go to NYC-you will want to go to Barbuto every time you visit as we last did in August.Special Features:
- Food was underwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Overpriced and underwhelming food. My spaghetti carbonara was extremely salty and they brought it out within a minute of ordering it. We felt rushed the entire time and couldn't really enjoy the experience. Our waiter kept hovering our table. They just wanted us to eat and get out. The only good thing about this place is their valet service.Special Features:
- First Class All the WayIBreak4FoodDined on 9/11/2014A gem indeed. Food was outstanding. Service was friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. Dinner was served at a perfect pace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a neighbourhood gem!FoodFreakDined on 9/10/2014Gorgeous ambience and super high ceiling, décor is unique and the booths / chairs are extremely comfortable. Service was spectacular, reasonable priced menu, the chicken & herb salad was extremely delicious and cooked to perfection! 5-star dining experience!Special Features:
- a great new spotDinerDined on 9/10/2014My girlfriends and I had dinner Wednesday evening. Everything was great. From service to food. I don't want to be long winded in my review but the food was simple, healthy, delicious. Dessert is a must! I love the way they serve coffee. Your own personal bodum comes to the table. The servers are very knowledgeable and friendly. It's very casual but upscale a the same time. Posh but not snooty. Reasonably priced and a great place to go for a night out.Special Features:
- Comfort food and impeccable serviceBobarDined on 9/9/2014Food that is unfussy and beautifully prepared, served in a relaxed atmosphere by an extremely efficient and polite staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AC too coldOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/9/2014My only complaint was that the AC was blowing on me and was quite coldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vancityDined on 9/9/2014Great service. New place so the food will improve. New hotspot.Special Features:
- Welcome JW to TO!!!!foodiedebsVIPDined on 9/8/2014We had a most amazing meal! Jonathan Waxman's chicken and potatoes are heavenly!!! I could eat this every night of the week. Ditto for the wild mushroom pizza and phenomenal desserts. Service was great until our tea failed to arrive with desserts. This is when the ball was dropped and it came out after our desserts were finished and we had to remind them. The room is understated elegance. Noise level was deafening on the upper level of the main floor near the kitchen and we had to shout at each other across the table or lip read. That being said I'd come back in a heartbeat!Special Features:
- Amazing!NickDined on 9/8/2014The entree was amazing! We had the duck confit, and it was the best I've ever had. I just wanted more and more. Can't wait to go back. Although their desserts were just okay and their green teas were subpar in taste, but grand in selection, I'd have the entree over and over and over again.Special Features:
- Great FindBella714Dined on 9/8/2014Very convenient during the film festival. Right in the heart of things. Small menu but very tasty. Had the duck nonfit with fingerling potatoes and frisée. It was delicious. Portion looked small but it was exactly right.Special Features:
- SM21Dined on 9/7/2014The menu was not extensive but the items we did order were very very Fresh. The dishes were simple but delicious. A vibrant scene during TIFF - can see some celebs coming in and out to dine.Special Features:
- Montecito is overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/7/2014Staff is not friendly or accommodating. Big TIFF group upstairs (Denzel Washington) and seems they cater to the celebs not the peeps.Special Features:
- Montecito during TIFFRuffDayDined on 9/7/2014We went mostly because we were told that some stars frequent the place during TIFF - and sure enough, we saw the owner Ivan Reitman having dinner with Sigourney Weaver. The place was a mix of styles, elegance with cool and techno with chic. We ordered the ribeye for 2 which was served the way I like it - the potatoes that came with it were great - deep fried with parmesan and other seasonings - my only issue with the place is the cost - it was more expensive than we expected - the $65 of Pinot Gris was just OK at this price point.
- Amazing brunch at MontecitoFranDined on 9/7/2014Went to Montecito for brunch last Sunday. The place is beautiful. It is big and feels very airy with great lighting. The service and food was amazing. The best part was being greeted by Ivan Reitman himself! Can't wait to go back for dinner and check out the lounge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Searching for Bill MurrayGDibbyDined on 9/6/2014Over the weekend we were partaking in TIFF. Saw some great films, spotted some celebrities (Ben Stiller high-fived me!), but the goal was to find Bill Murray! Alas, the closest we got to him were his photos upon the wall of Montecito. But the serving staff made up for our lack of success by depositing a miniature stay puffed marshmallow man on our table for an impromptu photo shoot! Oh yeah, and the food was great! Local selections with a So-cal flare. I had lemony pasta with basil and mint leaves, and my husband loved his spaghetti carbonara, even dubbing it the best pasta he's ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingMugsDined on 9/6/2014From our entry at reception up until our departure - Montecito delivered! Fantastic food, amazing service (Alistair) and great ambiance. Best service in Toronto ... you should go here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TIFF Night OutLocalDined on 9/5/2014Welcoming and warm staff and atmosphere. Outstanding service that got every detail correct, unobtrusively kept the table clean, tidy, and ready with the proper utensils, cleaned crumbs away between course...really appreciated the service details. And the food was just as delicious as the restaurant is beautiful. succulent signature chicken dish, very satisfying house made pasta, and all very fresh with each herb, spice and ingredient popping with flavour. Prices are very reasonable for the upscale atmosphere and generous portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem in the Theatre districtSotnosRCVIPDined on 9/5/2014I had an early dinner their with my mom prior to a TIFF screening on a Friday. It was mostly industry people dining at the time but I can see the place being busy on a regular day. We started with the kale salad which was deliciously filling. I would order it again. I followed it with the duck confit after reading a rave review. I was not disappointed. It was very tender and flavourful. Mom had a light pasta flavoured with herbs. I also enjoyed the Gorgeous Gunners cocktail. I highly recommend their quality cocktails. Definitely a place I will dine in again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/2/2014We were there for Lunch on a Monday and its was quiet and not very busy. We all commented on how this spot will be THE place to be during TIFF. The upper level is ideal for private functions.Special Features:
- excellent restaurant fairly pricedboston1dinerDined on 9/1/2014A friend had tipped us off about Montecito for our first visit to Toronto from Boston. While decidedly upscale in decor, service, and menu, we were pleasantly surprised by the reasonable prices. The food was truly delicious. The chef clearly understands his craft and knows how to select flavors that work together yet are discernable in their own right. The presentation on the plates beautiful without veering off into overly cutesy. The staff friendly, efficient, and helpful. The owner, Hollywood great Ivan Reitman, obviously has love for and pride in his home city of Toronto and it shows in this restaurant. (There are some tasteful behind the scenes set photos on some walls, and the ones with Robin Williams were poignant.) Wonderful!Special Features:
- Dining with a Difference.spukspukVIPDined on 8/30/2014First, the room is decorated most interestedly. I like it, and i suppose i should. Considering a major Hollywood director has a piece of the action in the restaurant. There's a new floor / lounge opening in days on the second flr. Now the food.......its good. I had the Charcuterie, decent enough to fill 2 people. For a main .. I had the pork chop. Again .. good. Wonderfully spiced. Did the place wow me..no. Average I'd say, and the service is above average (friendly) , and out going. I'd go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!TdotfoodieDined on 8/28/2014The service at Montecito was wonderful from beginning to end. Best I've ever experienced so far actually. The food was delicious as well and visually pleasing to the eye. Overall, the food and atmosphere in and of itself would have earned it a 5-star from me. To enhance the overall experience, however, Ivan Reitman came over to our table to greet us and was gracious enough to take a photo with us. On top of that, many of the Canadian Directors (e.g., David Cronenberg) were having some sort of a pre-TIFF Canadian Directors dinner in front of our table and seeing them all was a great experience in and of itself! To top off an already wonderful evening, on our way out, Adam Sandler was coming in so we were able to take a photo with him too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!egl1Dined on 8/26/2014Great new hotspot. Food was outstanding and can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved it!ILNYFoodDined on 8/25/2014Wonderful food and wine. The service was warm and friendly although the restaurant was a bit slow the service could have been a faster. Having said that we were in no hurry and never felt rushed to turn the table. The menu was interesting and while not huge it was quite diverse and offered something for everyone. We had a lovely bottle of Chardonnay which was a private label named for the restaurant itself and the of course the region in California that the restaurant is named after. Valet parking is available and quite convenient. The dinner was just over $200.00 for the two of us including one bottle of wine. Overall experience was excellent and I would definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- OutstandingSlewyVIPDined on 8/23/2014Wonderful meal, first class friendly and attentive service and terrific ambience make this a must dine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wish food lived up to the decorOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014Pretty restaurant with a good vibe. Staff very attentive. Food mediocre- my husband spent the whole night trying to get the taste out of his mouth from the hamburger.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerSpaghettiheadDined on 8/20/2014My hubby and I felt we received very special treatment on our 3 yr anniversary. The staff were very warm, professional and accommodating. Food was good all in all we had a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ghastly interior designHeatherDined on 8/19/2014What a disastrous interior for a space with such promise. Dark, depressing, throwback to the worst aspects poor 90's design. quality if photographs remarkably bad. banquettes unforgivable. California? Less than a handful of California wines on the regular list, starting at $80. Unacceptable and that pricing not necessary to offer reasonable wines from all regions of California.Special Features:
- Singularly disappointing experiencechicagogirlDined on 8/16/2014I thought this would be the highlight of my dining experiences in Toronto, but it was certainly was NOT. The space is nice, I was seated promptly, & the Pimm's cup was good, but that's where the positive part of my review ends. Service was decent, but the team serve setup was odd. Several servers were milling about & I was likely served by each at some point: different people took my drink, dinner, & dessert orders, etc. The corn chowder was ok--nothing to write home about--but the polenta had no redeeming qualities. It was so greasy! The amount of goat cheese & oil mixed in rendered it unrecognizable as polenta. It was like eating a cream sauce. The signature baked Alaska, was sweet but flavorless. Overall, tremendously disappointing.
- I give it 6 monthsFrequentDinerVIPDined on 8/15/2014Decor felt confused and dated in the 90s. Food aimed to barely meet mediocre level. Signature JW chicken dish was more dry than my neighborhood Portuguese chicken shop. This restaurant has undermined Toronto's dining scene.
- Cool place, good food, poor serviceSasaDined on 8/14/2014The place looks and feels good. I had to change the reservation from 2 to 4 people and that went easily. All was good until I asked the waitress 'how is your pasta' at which time she proceeded to tell me that Carbonara is made with bacon and eggs. I smiled as I thought that was kind of obvious (but didn't say anything), but she took it the wrong way and from that point on ignored me the whole evening! She would come get an order at our table, but refused to even ask me if I wanted anything else.Special Features:
- A fantastic place to eat in TOOnePickyEaterDined on 8/14/2014Montecito has a casual elegance, friendly staff and really great food. Go in for a quick bite or a big dinner. The menu changes daily so every visit has something new. A really enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.