219 3rd Avenue North
Minneapolis, MN 55401Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: 6123335900
- Hours of Operation:
Open Daily for Lunch & Dinner: 11:00am; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering Options Available
- Private Party Facilities: Private Party Options Available
- Private Party Contact: Michon 6123395712
A word from Monte Carlo
Downtown Minneapolis' oldest and most popular restaurant for locals and visitors. Steaks, Seafood, Salads and Hamburgers and full Liquor and Wine menu. Casual dress welcome. Private seating for up to 100. Award winning outdoor seating. Free on site valet parking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Monte Carlo reviews from OpenTable diners
- still a wonderful place toOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/5/2012still a wonderful place to go for both the atmosphere and the fabulous food - especially the potatoe salad.Special Features:
- The bar that you see whenOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/3/2012The bar that you see when you walk in the door is quite beautiful. There seemed to be a few "regulars" there, who had been coming for years (and years).
- Good service but overpriced!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/31/2012Had never been here before but have known about it forever! Good service, although the black & white uniforms remind me of being in a diner. Wine list pretty good. The food was good but priced too high. Entrees were nothing special and were priced about $8/more per plate than what you'd pay for similar elsewhere. For that price I expected more than silverware in a glass on the table and a towel for a napkin. If we go back I'd get a glass of wine & share a sandwich.Special Features:
- Good place for a businessJohnny99Dined on 10/30/2012Good place for a business lunch. I think the prices are a little high, but the quality is worth it. Service is always good. They are around you, but don't bother you. Wait time for food was too long...almost 40 minutes..and they weren't swamped. Food is always consistent. Great service with the valet parking(free...but give a good tip...nice guys!) Good business lunch location.Special Features:
- The Monte Carlo has been oneCurlyVIPDined on 10/28/2012The Monte Carlo has been one of our favorites. We went for Sunday brunch which begins serving at 10:00 a.m. We were promptly seated but our coffee did not get served until 10:15/10:20. At that time there was only one other couple in the restaurant. There were enough servers but for whatever reason the food was very slow getting to the table. One would expect coffee to be ready immediately. The bartender even came to our table asking us if we'd like a beverage or water while we were waiting. The restaurant is an icon but you can expect it to be cramped when busy due to it's small size. The bar is the focal point. I doubt we'll go back for brunch again.Special Features:
- Nothing specialkls486VIPDined on 10/13/2012This was our first time at Monte Carlo, and we might go back to sit at the bar and have a martini, but not for dinner. After checking in for our reservation, we had some great drinks at the bar. The only negative was that the bar tender spilled every drink when serving them and didn't clean anything up. Fifteen minutes after our reservation time, we went and checked and found out they forgot about us. We were seated very quickly and they were apologetic. Our server was fine, but not very attentive or friendly. Our waters were never full. The food was served piping hot and was good, but nothing special. Overall, everything was fine but definitely nothing special.
- A Nice NightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2012I thought this was a great place to eat, the food and atmosphere were amazing. However I felt that our waitress was distracted and not super attentive. It got better throughout the meal, however it was clear that only items making her extra money were worth a speedy return trip. We didn't get silverware or napkins with our appetizers, but when I requested a second bottle of wine it was there in just a few minutes. Overall I would recommend this place with a great outdoor patio!Special Features:
- We were lucky as earlier arrivalsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/25/2012We were lucky as earlier arrivals to have a small room away from the hustle and bustle of the bar to ourselves. Excellent service, good foold.Special Features:
- The food was very good butOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/23/2012The food was very good but service was flat and uninteresting. Got seated in the side room which did not have the restaurant character that we went there to enjoy.Special Features:
- Very good, not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/22/2012Dinner for two, $120. Enjoyed our meal. Chicken wings were really good. Nothing notable about the steak. It was very good, not great. Will probably go back here again.
- Our first time was not memorable.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2012Our first time was not memorable. Due to "miscommunication," we sat for 20 minutes without a server. Ordered the filet for $30, and it was below average. Could have had a better steak at Perkins. Ordered the marine salad for another $20 to share, but could have made a better seafood salad at home using canned seafood from the grocery store. Overall, fell far short of expectations.
- A Consistantly Solid PerformerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/19/2012Had lunch with a colleague who had never been, and wasn't disappointed! Loved the salmon Caesar, and the Kitchen Sandwich. My favorite bar, this place is solid.Special Features:
- Meatloaf sandwich was yummy.LightrailfoodiesDined on 9/12/2012Meatloaf sandwich was yummy. Salads were tasty. Fish and chips was generous portion.Special Features:
- Dont BotherGuyOutontheTownDined on 8/28/2012The patio is lovely in the summer. The inside is a bit different. It's very dated and old. They try to cover all that up by using white table clothes. The food is very very average and the menu has a very plain selection.
- Monte Carlo is generally aOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/27/2012Monte Carlo is generally a relable spot but was not up to par this night on the service department. We will be back, and I bet our experience will be much improved.Special Features:
- A funny night at the Monte CarloOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/25/2012We were sat in a room off the main room which did not have much atmosphere at all. The room echoed and was noisy with normal conversation so much that an elderly lady in the room started clanking her glass with her fork to try to get people to stop talking! After the 3rd time of her doing this, my husband and I and the other couple we were with stood up and kissed - just like at a wedding. The room broke out in laughter and the elderly lady didn't really get it at first - she got more frustrated and continued clanking her glass. then, everyone stood up and kissed. The night ended up being fun for a very strange reason.Special Features:
- First time dinner guests.JeanetteDined on 8/22/2012First time dinner guests. We were placed in a newly remodeled front room and it was very nice and also quiet which we liked. Once it got a little later and more people were seated in this room, it did get noisy. The room fluxuated in temperature from chilly to warm during the course of our 2.5 hour stay. Our waiter was very good but didn't always make it clear if there were upcharges which we had to pay. Also, I was surprised at the inflexibility of not being able to substitute items on the menu. The food was very good though and we would go back.Special Features:
- Great for before the TwinsSusieVIPDined on 8/14/2012Great for before the Twins game, they even have free valet parking and you can leave the car if you are able to walk the 4 blocks to the Stadium. Good, basic food, very good service!Special Features:
- We were on our way to theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2012We were on our way to the theater, thinking this was the ideal spot for dinner. probably won't go back anytime soon. Food was okay, but certainly nothing special. Drinks were so-so. Our waitress had a huge tatoo running up her forearm which immediately made us want to find either another restaurant or another table. I really expected that restaurants would be cognizant of the tone that sets for the entire wait staff. Yikes. Long sleeves, perhaps?
- Had not been to Monte CarloOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2012Had not been to Monte Carlo for years but same great serviceSpecial Features:
- If you're looking for themdwaltersVIPDined on 7/25/2012If you're looking for the Monte Carlo experience, ask not to be seated in one of the very small, nondescript dining rooms off the main room. The room is both bland and noisy.
- The wait staff was very accommodatiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2012The wait staff was very accommodating and friendly. The Walleye special was delicious! Thank you for calling to tell us we left a pair of glasses.Special Features:
- Great Service! Great Cocktails!AULUSADined on 7/21/2012Great Service! Great Cocktails! Great bar food! The chicken wing appetizer are the best!!!
- We had a lovely evening.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2012We had a lovely evening. Great dinner then off to the Lab for Diva.Special Features:
- Awesome wings! Had the rubenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2012Awesome wings! Had the ruben too which had high quality meat and was very good as well!Special Features:
- Ate on the patio. Our waitressService100Dined on 6/30/2012Ate on the patio. Our waitress was not familiar with the menu items. She was forgetful too. She was very polite, but seemed disorganized.Special Features:
- Great BrunchRiley007VIPDined on 6/24/2012We had a great Brunch on the patio. Our server was top notch and made lunch fun.Special Features:
- I only live a couple of blocksOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/23/2012I only live a couple of blocks away from the Monte Carlo. Many times when I have guests I try to think of a place that's new, but usually I go back to the Monte because it is so consistent and wonderful!
- As always it was a most pleasantTegaVIPDined on 6/22/2012As always it was a most pleasant experience which is why I keep coming backSpecial Features:
- Hostess was completely rudesammybDined on 6/21/2012Hostess was completely rude for us having the pedal pub pull up to pick people up after we had just had dinner for 10 people. Zero thanks for our business. Waitress was not attentive but we still enjoyed ourselves. Food took a long time.Special Features:
- Great Father's Day DinnerDaisyVIPDined on 6/17/2012We had three generations to celebrate Father's Day at the Monte Carlo. We were seated at a nice big round table, which allowed everyone to feel included - so important with a large group. Our server was fantastic, quickly bringing water and drinks, taking extra time to understand our complicated order. Try the walleye - it is delicious! The chicken wings are special - coated with a crunchy seasoning, not spicy just very tasty. Liver and onions for grandpa, he went home happy with leftovers. Thanks to Danielle our server, we'll be back!Special Features:
- The food is consistent andScottDined on 6/17/2012The food is consistent and delicious. Without a doubt they offer the best Caesar salad in the Cities with a light, non-creamy dressing AND anchovies upon request. My grilled pork chops were cooked to a turn and very, very flavorful. The liver and onions is a favorite dish of mine there.Special Features:
- Great food if you aren't in a hurryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/17/2012Wings and burgers are good. All the food is good if you have an hour to wait for it...Special Features:
- Good not great...SlapHappyDined on 6/17/2012Went to the Monte Carlo for brunch on Father's Day. We got a table outside on their beautiful patio. Food was served family style; Eggs, toast, canadian bacon, sausage links, and potatos. It wasn't anything special but it was a great price at less than $10/person! My biggest complaint would be that the service was very slow and our server kept forgetting to bring things like salt & pepper even after we asked for it. I'll go back for cheap brunch and maybe for drinks on the patio.Special Features:
- First time to Monte CarloOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/16/2012First time to Monte Carlo and it only served to prove that describing something as "old school" is not always complimentary. Service was about on par with Perkins (or more aptly, an old Mr Steak). Food was average at best and nothing about it stood out as fresh, creative, well presented or anything else you may wish to see in "Minneapolis tradition" restaurant. The old school decor and bar does have a charm to it, but when you sit down at your booth in the dining room and the vinyl/Naugahyde bench has been repaired with red duct tape, that charm goes right out the window. Quality may never go out of style, but whatever the Monte Carlo might have had at one time is long since gone.
- We always love going to MonteOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/15/2012We always love going to Monte Carlo. The porkchops are my favorite!Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood Restaurant !FischstixDined on 6/15/2012We live 2 blocks away so a great spot to walk to for entertaining visitors or guests. The outside patio is a lot of fun and great for viewing. Outstanding service and good food. Just nice to sit back and relax, not hurried 'turn the tables' environment. If you like a classic dining venue, consider Monte Carlo when downtown in the North Loop !Special Features:
- Service was terrible waitressSteaksDined on 6/13/2012Service was terrible waitress never brought napkins even after saying oh you need napkins food took a long to to come out and waitress didn't check back to see how food was she was not a good server at all my steak was real good but my girl friends chicken pasta was terrib le.
- Our dinners were OK, but notGoodieDined on 6/12/2012Our dinners were OK, but not outstanding. Great bar however - they know how to mix the "old fashioned" drinks.Special Features:
- I love the Monte Carlo. AsonnummyVIPDined on 6/12/2012I love the Monte Carlo. A lovely blast from the past. A great value with free parking, huge cocktails and reasonable food items. Not a fancy foodie spot but perfect for what they do. Nice patio. Wish it were closer to home.Special Features: