1491 S. Randall Rd
Algonquin, IL 60102Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.montarra.com/
- Phone: 8474580505
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Lounge open later nightly Closed Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Dave Perlick
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Montarra can accommodate catering events up to 150 people. Chef Dave Perlick will be more than happy to customize any menu you desire.
- Private Party Facilities: Two beautiful rooms with Chihuly inspired chandeliers. The Red Room bathes our guests in the warm glow of Red Light as they enjoy a customized dining experience or order straight from the menu. Seats 30. The Blue room offers the same flexibility in the soft glow of Blue Light, and a relaxing twenty foot water wall. Seating 40 comfortably, this room is completely private.
- Private Party Contact: Andrea Jaroch 8474580505
- Special Events: Monthly Wine Dinners. Wine Tastings.
A word from Montarra
Montarra the "hidden gem" of the Northwest Suburbs is located in Algonquin. Whether it is our Prime Aged Steaks, or our delivered daily fresh seafood, Executive Chef Dave Perlick, using the finest locally grown produce and locally raised beef, has created a menu of Contemporary American Cuisine with International influences that is sure to please everyone. Our extensive wine list of over 100 wines, includes 30 wines by the glass and representing more than 10 countries world wide, is sure to give even the most discerning diner an array of choices to accentuate Chef Perlick's amazing menu to create a most wonderful and memorable dining experience. Come in and enjoy Montarra, with its relaxing "water wall" and its two "chihully" chandeliers and experience downtown Chicago without the drive! Discover for yourselves why Phil Vettel of the Chicago Tribune gave Montarra “* * *” stars and wrote, “If Montarra were closer to the city, I would dine there often”.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Montarra - Best Restaurants in Algonquin ›
Montarra reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (112)romantic (81)fit for foodies (80)neighborhood gem (68)notable wine list (33)good for groups (23)hot spot (17)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (8)great for brunch (4)scenic view (3)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Not what it used to be...DisatisfiedloyalcustDined on 9/26/2014Montarra has been our special occasion place for 8 years.It used to be so much nicer but over the years has really changed for the worse. We are considering finding a new place.Tables used to be covered in white favorite tablecloths but now are just cheap wood Formica.The high open ceiling and then the air-conditioning had a horrible noise that was unbearable and not relaxing as we had hoped for.The service is good but not what we used to have when Pam worked there. She was the best. They are good to accommodate birthdays and special occasions.Food was good but not great. My med steak was more like med rare. They give you 3 mushrooms when there are 2 of you. I do have to say the lambchops are awesome as well as the choc cake. Overall OK.Special Features:
- 50 minute waitjamieDined on 9/23/2014Montara is so good we had to go back. This time we ordered the fish and a steak and it took 50 minutes to get our food. It was too long for sone hungry people. The ambiance was pretty but we were seated at a back table near the kitchen where there was a draft. I was freezing and the hustle and bustle from the kitchen was distracting.our table was really long for two so I had to speak loudly when talking to my husband. I would still.go back because the food is awesome. ... but I would request a different table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExerienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2014We frequent this establishment 1-2 times a month. Only have had one disappointing waitress.Special Features:
- our new favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014My husband and I were recommended Montarra Grill for our anniversary dinner. We were NOT disappointed! It was hard deciding from so many amazing small plate (appetizer size) and large plate (entree size) options. My husband had shrimp tacos for an appetizer, and the portion was so generous it would have made a good lunch meal. They were truly the best shrimp tacos we have ever had. I ordered the Scottish salmon and, again, this was the best salmon ever. Our only complaint is it was very loud. This is our new favorite place. We hope to come back and order a couple of small plates each, just so we can try more of the variety offered.Special Features:
- Consistent gemCClaVIPDined on 9/20/2014I have been to Montarra @ least 30 times over the years. It's one of the few restaurants in the northwest suburbs that is always a treat, both in service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food but noisy!JerryCreDined on 9/20/2014We dined here twice in the last 7 days. The first night we went with a group & we all had a wonderful meal (the Skate was outstanding), except the way the restaurant is designed it was difficult to have a conversation. By this I mean the open ceiling design and the very noisy ventilation system. Every time the ventilation system would cycle on the noise level rose. Trying to talk over the thumping & loud fan noise was not enjoyable. Of course there was not much our server could do about the noise. I am surprised the owners would have not noticed or at least fix this? The second meal was also just as delicious. I had Fish & Chips which was delightful with the malt vinegar dip (fries over done) & the Butternut squash bisque was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick dinnerjpilz402VIPDined on 9/19/2014My daughter and I had a quick dinner. Two small plates and a risotto special. Everything was very tasty. We topped it off with creme brûlée. The service was outstanding, we will be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvNitelifeVIPDined on 9/18/2014Very elegant upscale decor......The Scottish Salmon was excellent......the short ribs w/slaw small plate was a wonderful way to begin our meal. Their desserts looked very enticing....we will have to try one on our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Montarra Always a DelightBillDined on 9/18/2014AS always, Montarra is a true delight. The food and service was very good. Because of the openness of the restaurant is a little on the noisy side. We use it as one of our special occasion restaurants. We do wish they would change their menu a little more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerkathybDined on 9/13/2014Service was great. Food was outstanding. I thought wine list was a little weak, but prices were a little high. Only wish they did something special for our anniversary. A cute little dessert would have been nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MontarraNYChickDined on 9/13/2014We found Montarra when they originally opened. It is our favorite place to have a date night, and we also love to take family and friends there. We have never had a bad meal at Montarra. The food is always fabulous and the service is great. We always recommend it to our friends when they are looking for a special place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/12/2014Disappointed in the food. Ordered the Filet Crips and the tasted like they had no seasoning or taste to them. Very bad and sent back.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/6/2014This place was better than expected. My only regret was that the tables did not have white table cloths.Special Features:
- Love the cheesey crackersBritEatsGoodFoodDined on 9/5/2014Dinner is always enjoyable and our food is always tasty at Montarra but they charge you for every little thing and their menu doesn't clearly state what actually comes on your plate. I would have appreciated knowing more detail about the dish I ordered. Portions are not large so you won't have any leftovers. My husband always leaves hungry so it's usually a girls night pick for me when I'm feeling wealthy. Good for a special occasion. It's always cold inside so bring a sweater if you're always cold like me.Special Features:
- ExcellentR2D2Dined on 9/5/2014We started with the steak tartare. It was easily the best we've ever had. The mushroom soup was excellent, and the bouillabaisse was so fresh, and the seafood cooked perfectly. It was also our anniversary, and a nice touch was the personalized note on the menu, and on dessert, pecan pie. We will be back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, but way too loudVisionaryDined on 9/5/2014food was good, but the place is always way too loud even when not crowdedSpecial Features:
- Perfect Anniversary DinnerCindyJVIPDined on 9/3/2014First, our menus had a Happy Anniversary message personalized for me and my husband - with our names. Our meals were best we've had there. Husband had the mixed Grill and I had the salmon. Layers of flavors - no salt/pepper needed. Then dessert. They brought out a red velvet cake with the plate personalized in chocolate. It was so delicate and flavorful - perfect sweetness. It was so good, we ordered another one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissapointment!!TravelbugDined on 8/31/2014The restaurant was backed up when we arrived for our reservation. Sent us to the bar, but never came to get us. People were friendly,but not enough wait staff. It was on a holiday weekend,but they should have been prepared. I had heard they did special things for special occasions.But staff never even mentioned a happy b'day,until after I paid the big bill.Special Features:
- iMacDined on 8/31/2014food and service was disappointing. have eaten here before and the experience was much betterSpecial Features:
- Reviews dont liedkatnikDined on 8/30/2014Took my sweetheart to Montarra as we had heard very good things and wanted to find out for ourselves. We were not dissapointed, the food was really good, our server was great and the drinks were off the charts. We would certainly recommend Montarra to anyone who is looking for a great dining experience.Special Features:
- TacoDined on 8/29/2014The special they offered the night we were there was awesome! It was scallops shrimp and bacon!!! The service was excellent! We will be back again soon!Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Great find in the suburbs. The food was delicious. Highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014The food is excellent love it. It does get loud in the restaraunts.Special Features:
- Excellent as usualPaul820Dined on 8/21/2014It's hard to say anything negative about this gem of a restaurant. It rivals any downtown Chicago restaurant, in regards to food, service and ambiance. In fact, there is no restaurant that is better. Constantly excellent food, presented with such flair and fantastic service. Certainly worth the money and a great place to spend that special occasion. Would not hesitate recommending this place to anyone, go and enjoy!Special Features:
- iMacDined on 8/20/2014food and service were outstanding. wine list was very good. will be back very soon.Special Features:
- Not my cup of tea.ajtshDined on 8/14/2014Although my husband enjoyed the food it was not my cup of tea. I prefer simpler foods without sauces and where soup/salad is included and sides are not al carte. Waitress was happy to answer questions and if she didn't know the answer she went to ask someone. Restaurant was less than crowded yet no one came to ask if you needed a refill on coffee. Nice atmosphere but not a place for children. Nice place if you are looking for something special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 starsHeatherDined on 8/13/2014I brought my friend here for her birthday and they had a specialized menu with her name on it and on her dessert. The food was delicious and the service was great! Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW what a great dinnerRickmDined on 8/9/2014I made reservation on Open Table and in the comment area I noted that it was my wife's birthday and it would be nice to have fresh flowers on the table. Just for the fun of it and not expecting it at all. THEY put fresh flowers on the table and not cheap ones. There was no other table with flowers so I did offer to pay for them but no charge but we did not take them with us. The food was out standing from the pecan bacon wrapped jumbo sea scallops that tasted like candy to the best BERKSHIRE "Tomahawk Chop "ever. We will be returning time and time againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014We ordered a couple of small plates and a full size entree. The food was incredible with the exception of the Mac and cheese. We ordered as a side thinking it would be a homemade dish using differant cheeses. It honestly looked and tasted like velvetta Mac and cheese out of a box. It was definitely made with some sort of processed cheese. The other dishes were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveninggoodeatsDined on 8/9/2014Enjoyed the evening with excellent service from Kate. Anniversary dinner and the team made it a very lovely night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/9/2014I was a bit disappointed had a reservation for 6 @ 5:45 (went back to change for 7 and I was getting only available apt was @ 9:30) we got there at 5:45 (6) and there where plenty of tables. Food was excellent out of the 6 orders only two (steak) that were cold, although it was very tasty but cold. Service excellent.Special Features:
- good to come back againhungrybillDined on 8/9/2014I have been here several times before and have always enjoyed the place. Their signature citrus salad, which I always get, is outstanding. I had the 16 oz rib eye steak and it was juicy. My wife had the fish and it was tender with delicious sauce. The pecan dessert was um-um good. The menu is does not have a large selection but enough to be able to find something that will meet your taste.Special Features:
- Best Food AroundLive4God2Dined on 8/8/2014The variety of choices and awesome combinations make for some of the best food I've ever had. Dave is an amazing chef! The staff has always been very kind and helpful. My wife has a dairy allergy, Dave and his team were very accomodating and met our every request. My wife and I enjoy our meals and time there immensely.Special Features:
- It'll do just fine if:overspentDined on 8/2/2014- You are looking for finer-dining in the Algonquin area - You need a change of pace in the Algonquin area - You are craving delicious seafood - You want to spend a lot of money on your dinner Overall, I thought Montarra was fine. It didn't blow me away and it wasn't bad. We waited an exorbitant amount of time for our meals - I think the waitress forgot to put our order in. We were also sat in the bar area which has a totally different vibe than the restaurant section...something to request if you care about that. We got one appetizer for the table, bacon-wrapped dates, and they were good. Each of us tried a different seafood dish, and they were all good too. Just nothing mind-blowing. It's a little overpriced for what it is.Special Features:
- A night out with old friendsFriendsnightoutDined on 8/2/2014Another great night out at Montarra Grill. Amy our server was helpful and patience as we had not been there in a while and they had a new menu. Love the bacon wrapped dates followed by their carna asada tacos as an opener. Main courses were more tacos, Ahi Tuna and the riotto of the day a crab and corn. All this paired with some good beer and wine.Special Features:
- Dinning outDinningoutDined on 8/2/2014Food was good as usual, but the plates were on the counter for at least ten minutes before they were served. Something had to be added to one of the plates, so the timing was off and the other plates just sat for a long time. I know this because we could look into the kitchen and watch what was going on. The dinners were warm, not hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice anniversary restaurantDBrownDined on 7/29/2014My wife and I recently celebrated our anniversary at Montarra and were not disappointed. Great food, good ambiance...this is a real find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant AroundOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014Great food and great service from a friendly staff.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem in Algonquin, ILPAM58Dined on 7/26/2014Consistently fantastic and inventive. Brought a group of friends that had never been, Montarra has 6 new fans. Wine list a bit weak, but they do permit outside wine to be brought in with small corkage fee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodEPBIDined on 7/26/2014My wife and I had dinner at Montarra's on Sat evening. We have eaten there many times before, and this visit did not disappoint. Can't go wrong dining at Montarra.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.