1491 S. Randall Rd
Algonquin, IL 60102Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.montarra.com/
- Phone: (847) 458-0505
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Lounge open later nightly Closed Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Dave Perlick
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Montarra can accommodate catering events up to 150 people. Chef Dave Perlick will be more than happy to customize any menu you desire.
- Private Party Facilities: Two beautiful rooms with Chihuly inspired chandeliers. The Red Room bathes our guests in the warm glow of Red Light as they enjoy a customized dining experience or order straight from the menu. Seats 30. The Blue room offers the same flexibility in the soft glow of Blue Light, and a relaxing twenty foot water wall. Seating 40 comfortably, this room is completely private.
- Private Party Contact: Andrea Jaroch 8474580505
- Special Events: Monthly Wine Dinners. Wine Tastings.
A word from Montarra
Montarra the "hidden gem" of the Northwest Suburbs is located in Algonquin. Whether it is our Prime Aged Steaks, or our delivered daily fresh seafood, Executive Chef Dave Perlick, using the finest locally grown produce and locally raised beef, has created a menu of Contemporary American Cuisine with International influences that is sure to please everyone. Our extensive wine list of over 100 wines, includes 30 wines by the glass and representing more than 10 countries world wide, is sure to give even the most discerning diner an array of choices to accentuate Chef Perlick's amazing menu to create a most wonderful and memorable dining experience. Come in and enjoy Montarra, with its relaxing "water wall" and its two "chihully" chandeliers and experience downtown Chicago without the drive! Discover for yourselves why Phil Vettel of the Chicago Tribune gave Montarra “* * *” stars and wrote, “If Montarra were closer to the city, I would dine there often”.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Montarra - Best Restaurants in Algonquin ›
Montarra reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (97)fit for foodies (78)romantic (67)neighborhood gem (66)notable wine list (23)good for groups (23)hot spot (16)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/22/2014Great food and service. The appetizers that we ordered were amazing! We usually order only appetizers because it gives us the opportunity to try different styles of cuisine. Keep up the good job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cannot say enough about this hidden gem.MissCEODined on 11/22/2014Hands down, this is THE best restaurant in the northwest suburbs. The food is both innovative and of the highest quality. The atmosphere is modern, trendy, and romantic. The bar has some of the most unique martinis I've seen. And the prices, compared to other like restaurants near by, are actually very reasonable, due to the superior quality of the food. My only complaint is the noise level. We had a "spirited" party of six sat next to us in the bar area, and throughout our entire dinner, we could barely hear each other from across the table. If you want a quiet relaxing dinner, request a table outside the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaveDined on 11/16/2014Great food everything was great even had a special menu with happy birthday printed on it for my wife these people are greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MontaraHuntleyDined on 11/15/2014Been there numerous times over the years. Noise level continues to be a problem. Really great food with good service. Probably the best up-scale restaurant in this whole area. Staff gladly split several of our orders. We had to wait for our table , but had a complimentary drink at the bar which was a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!annieBDined on 11/8/2014Always a great place for dinner with my husband. The filet is always wonderful. The signature Tilapia Tacos are out of this world! Would recommend this place to anyone and will be back!Special Features:
- charlieVIPDined on 11/8/2014The service of our waiter, Pablo, was absolutely outstanding. He was prompt with things, courteous, and friendly. The "sticky pudding" dessert was probably the best dessert I have had in a restaurant in years!Special Features:
- Great placeBoaterDined on 11/8/2014Fantastic food and service. Higher priced but you get what you pay for in a good way here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Montara's234abcDined on 11/8/2014Dinner was excellent. My son said it was the best steak (filet) he has ever had. Would have loved a little more mashed potatoes and spinach with my meal - they were delicious.Special Features:
- New to the areajlc261Dined on 11/8/2014Having recently moved to the area we were pleased to find Montarra. The food and service were very good, paired with a decent selection of wines by the glass. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Superb service.datenightforusDined on 11/8/2014We had purchased gift certificates here years ago but this is our first visit to Montarra. The service was awesome with our server being very knowledgeable about the menu; quick with drinks and food and so very polite. We did not feel rushed in any way so we had time to enjoy an appetizer, soup, entrée and dessert. All food items were exceptional and we will visit again very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let downOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/7/2014Food was just ok and was a letdown after all the hype. Pricey to boot...
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/1/2014We moved from area in 11/12, it was our favorite spot, we live in Glenview, nothing compares to this restaurant, we keep coming back for special dinners. Love the food.Special Features:
- 1st visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014My husband and I ate here for the first time. Couple of things we did not like for the type of dining they are trying to attract. When you pay over 100.00 for dinner you would expect it to be hot. 1. Very, very noisy - not good for quiet conversation - that is why we rated it for "good for groups" you have to yell to hear each other. 2. Poor service - forgetful server - soup came 2 minutes before main course only after reminding server - food was lukewarm at best - server busy with other tables chatting - coffee almost never arrived, only after busboy noticed we were waiting for something. 3. Cold building - air on when it was 30degrees outside - had to wear coat entire time. 4. Food was good but would have been better if warmer.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnwrNinja6Dined on 10/21/2014We had our anniversary dinner last week. I loved the ambiance, great food, great server and was all ruined by kids next to our table. Anyway, I had the shrimp and scallops but opted to just have all shrimp. Server was very accommodating to my dairy allergies and made sure my meal was daily free. My husband had seafood too, I forgot the name of dish. He loved it. I'd go back but maybe asked to be seated away from kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful, againMich7240Dined on 10/21/2014Fabulous filet mignon, service, and atmosphere. Never disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My go to spotChicagoJoeDined on 10/18/2014Me and the wife are always looking for something new. However we always end up going back to Montarra as Chef Dave always has something new and exciting to try on the menu. Great food. Different! Never had a bad meal here.Special Features:
- A "must return"mcfromwayneDined on 10/18/2014We celebrated our anniversary at Montarra Saturday evening. The experience certainly did not disappoint. Atmosphere was upscale and warm. Drinks in the bar were terrific; dinner and wine were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMarkDined on 10/14/2014Have been there more than a few times. Always look forward to going there. Food is excellent and the all the staff is wonderful. Definitely will be going back again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent date nightholland08Dined on 10/11/2014Montarra is one of my husband and mine restaurant. The atmosphere is amazing with the dimmed lights, unique lighting and other decor. The food is also excellent. There is just the right amount of food to satisfy. I definitely recommend as a date night-not suited for kids as their food is not kid friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in the areaMoefoodVIPDined on 10/11/2014Excellent menu choices, both small and large offerings. Best and most creative meals and desserts in the area. Very pleasant, helpful servers. Just a delightful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in the suburbsSteveDined on 10/10/2014I had the rack of lamb, my friend had the rib eye. Both were excellent. We've eaten at Montarra multiple times in the past and have always had an excellent meal.Special Features:
- Great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/10/2014We hadn't been to Montarra in almost 5 years (it's a bit of a drive) but it was as good as we remembered. Great service, fun atmosphere and the food was terrific. We won't wait so long for our next visit!Special Features:
- Exceptional food and serviceCindyJVIPDined on 10/10/2014I keep coming back. I think I've tried everything on the menu - at least between me and my husband. The chef creates masterpieces in flavors and is so good about making small adjustments due to allergies - without sacrificing taste. I wish he would bottle the blueberry gastrique for me to take home. Lamb lollipops were moist and tender - melting in my mouth. Thank you for another wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not really for vegetariansveggiegirlDined on 10/10/2014The atmosphere was nice, but as a vegetarian, there were very few things on the menu I could choose from. Even the salads and veggie-type appetizers had added bacon, etc. I also have a severe seafood allergy, so unfortunately ruled out all the seafood dishes. To our server's credit - she did say I could ask to have something specially-made - so we certainly appreciated her efforts with that. I ended up with a roasted pepper soup and beet salad; which both were delicious. My spouse had the fillet mignon and french onion soup and he very much enjoyed both.Special Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014As usual everything was fantastic! We always regret not sitting at the bar before dinner. It looks so awesome.Special Features:
- WOW AGAIN!CindyJVIPDined on 10/7/2014Husband's menu said Happy birthday with his name which he loved. The duck confit risotto was creamy with a tangy kick. My tilapia was tender and sweet that melted on my tongue. The blackened duo for my husband was moist and prepared with perfect seasoning. The peanut butter cheesecake? dessert was beyond words. The food was so perfect I wanted to just hug the Chef. Flavors and textures came together in perfect harmony. The service was exceptional. We felt cared for throughout the entire meal, which still feeling like we were alone at our table. I can't wait to go back. Thanks for another amazing evening. If you haven't been here, you are missing out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary with friendsMumphyVIPDined on 10/5/2014A nice evening, had early reservations, attentive wait staff, and good food. Restaurant had met expectations, which to be fair were very high. It does bother me when a tip is included on a small party of six, shows a lack of trust in the clientele you are serving.Special Features:
- MLMCANDDined on 10/4/2014Four of us were celebrating my son's birthday. The food was very good, we all had steaks. We enjoyed appetizers and desserts. It was a little pricey but overall a very good experience. The service was good. Other reviewers commented on the noise level and I agree, it was a little hard to hear. The meal was not rushed. I would use this as a special occasion restaurant, mainly because of the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is always good and consistentFoodie2Dined on 10/3/2014We go there often and know every time we will get great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but great foodrafnagz10Dined on 10/1/2014The quality of food was comparable to gibsons and the price reflects that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to be...DisatisfiedloyalcustDined on 9/26/2014Montarra has been our special occasion place for 8 years.It used to be so much nicer but over the years has really changed for the worse. We are considering finding a new place.Tables used to be covered in white favorite tablecloths but now are just cheap wood Formica.The high open ceiling and then the air-conditioning had a horrible noise that was unbearable and not relaxing as we had hoped for.The service is good but not what we used to have when Pam worked there. She was the best. They are good to accommodate birthdays and special occasions.Food was good but not great. My med steak was more like med rare. They give you 3 mushrooms when there are 2 of you. I do have to say the lambchops are awesome as well as the choc cake. Overall OK.Special Features:
- 50 minute waitjamieDined on 9/23/2014Montara is so good we had to go back. This time we ordered the fish and a steak and it took 50 minutes to get our food. It was too long for sone hungry people. The ambiance was pretty but we were seated at a back table near the kitchen where there was a draft. I was freezing and the hustle and bustle from the kitchen was distracting.our table was really long for two so I had to speak loudly when talking to my husband. I would still.go back because the food is awesome. ... but I would request a different table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/23/2014We had heard that Montarra had good food. Decided to try it on our anniversary and we were not disappointed. Food was excellent and service was also. Highly recommend Montarra.Special Features:
- Excellent ExerienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2014We frequent this establishment 1-2 times a month. Only have had one disappointing waitress.Special Features:
- our new favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014My husband and I were recommended Montarra Grill for our anniversary dinner. We were NOT disappointed! It was hard deciding from so many amazing small plate (appetizer size) and large plate (entree size) options. My husband had shrimp tacos for an appetizer, and the portion was so generous it would have made a good lunch meal. They were truly the best shrimp tacos we have ever had. I ordered the Scottish salmon and, again, this was the best salmon ever. Our only complaint is it was very loud. This is our new favorite place. We hope to come back and order a couple of small plates each, just so we can try more of the variety offered.Special Features:
- Consistent gemCClaVIPDined on 9/20/2014I have been to Montarra @ least 30 times over the years. It's one of the few restaurants in the northwest suburbs that is always a treat, both in service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food but noisy!JerryCreDined on 9/20/2014We dined here twice in the last 7 days. The first night we went with a group & we all had a wonderful meal (the Skate was outstanding), except the way the restaurant is designed it was difficult to have a conversation. By this I mean the open ceiling design and the very noisy ventilation system. Every time the ventilation system would cycle on the noise level rose. Trying to talk over the thumping & loud fan noise was not enjoyable. Of course there was not much our server could do about the noise. I am surprised the owners would have not noticed or at least fix this? The second meal was also just as delicious. I had Fish & Chips which was delightful with the malt vinegar dip (fries over done) & the Butternut squash bisque was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick dinnerjpilz402VIPDined on 9/19/2014My daughter and I had a quick dinner. Two small plates and a risotto special. Everything was very tasty. We topped it off with creme brûlée. The service was outstanding, we will be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvNitelifeVIPDined on 9/18/2014Very elegant upscale decor......The Scottish Salmon was excellent......the short ribs w/slaw small plate was a wonderful way to begin our meal. Their desserts looked very enticing....we will have to try one on our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Montarra Always a DelightBillDined on 9/18/2014AS always, Montarra is a true delight. The food and service was very good. Because of the openness of the restaurant is a little on the noisy side. We use it as one of our special occasion restaurants. We do wish they would change their menu a little more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.