1491 S. Randall Rd
Algonquin, IL 60102Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.montarra.com/
- Phone: 8474580505
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Lounge open later nightly Closed Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Dave Perlick
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Montarra can accommodate catering events up to 150 people. Chef Dave Perlick will be more than happy to customize any menu you desire.
- Private Party Facilities: Two beautiful rooms with Chihuly inspired chandeliers. The Red Room bathes our guests in the warm glow of Red Light as they enjoy a customized dining experience or order straight from the menu. Seats 30. The Blue room offers the same flexibility in the soft glow of Blue Light, and a relaxing twenty foot water wall. Seating 40 comfortably, this room is completely private.
- Private Party Contact: Andrea Jaroch 8474580505
- Special Events: Monthly Wine Dinners. Wine Tastings.
A word from Montarra
Montarra the "hidden gem" of the Northwest Suburbs is located in Algonquin. Whether it is our Prime Aged Steaks, or our delivered daily fresh seafood, Executive Chef Dave Perlick, using the finest locally grown produce and locally raised beef, has created a menu of Contemporary American Cuisine with International influences that is sure to please everyone. Our extensive wine list of over 100 wines, includes 30 wines by the glass and representing more than 10 countries world wide, is sure to give even the most discerning diner an array of choices to accentuate Chef Perlick's amazing menu to create a most wonderful and memorable dining experience. Come in and enjoy Montarra, with its relaxing "water wall" and its two "chihully" chandeliers and experience downtown Chicago without the drive! Discover for yourselves why Phil Vettel of the Chicago Tribune gave Montarra “* * *” stars and wrote, “If Montarra were closer to the city, I would dine there often”.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Montarra - Best Restaurants in Algonquin ›
Montarra reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (115)romantic (87)fit for foodies (75)neighborhood gem (65)notable wine list (34)good for groups (24)hot spot (16)great for brunch (8)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (6)scenic view (3)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- iMacDined on 8/31/2014food and service was disappointing. have eaten here before and the experience was much betterSpecial Features:
- Reviews dont liedkatnikDined on 8/30/2014Took my sweetheart to Montarra as we had heard very good things and wanted to find out for ourselves. We were not dissapointed, the food was really good, our server was great and the drinks were off the charts. We would certainly recommend Montarra to anyone who is looking for a great dining experience.Special Features:
- TacoDined on 8/29/2014The special they offered the night we were there was awesome! It was scallops shrimp and bacon!!! The service was excellent! We will be back again soon!Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Great find in the suburbs. The food was delicious. Highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014The food is excellent love it. It does get loud in the restaraunts.Special Features:
- Excellent as usualPaul820Dined on 8/21/2014It's hard to say anything negative about this gem of a restaurant. It rivals any downtown Chicago restaurant, in regards to food, service and ambiance. In fact, there is no restaurant that is better. Constantly excellent food, presented with such flair and fantastic service. Certainly worth the money and a great place to spend that special occasion. Would not hesitate recommending this place to anyone, go and enjoy!Special Features:
- iMacDined on 8/20/2014food and service were outstanding. wine list was very good. will be back very soon.Special Features:
- Not my cup of tea.ajtshDined on 8/14/2014Although my husband enjoyed the food it was not my cup of tea. I prefer simpler foods without sauces and where soup/salad is included and sides are not al carte. Waitress was happy to answer questions and if she didn't know the answer she went to ask someone. Restaurant was less than crowded yet no one came to ask if you needed a refill on coffee. Nice atmosphere but not a place for children. Nice place if you are looking for something special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 starsHeatherDined on 8/13/2014I brought my friend here for her birthday and they had a specialized menu with her name on it and on her dessert. The food was delicious and the service was great! Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW what a great dinnerRickmDined on 8/9/2014I made reservation on Open Table and in the comment area I noted that it was my wife's birthday and it would be nice to have fresh flowers on the table. Just for the fun of it and not expecting it at all. THEY put fresh flowers on the table and not cheap ones. There was no other table with flowers so I did offer to pay for them but no charge but we did not take them with us. The food was out standing from the pecan bacon wrapped jumbo sea scallops that tasted like candy to the best BERKSHIRE "Tomahawk Chop "ever. We will be returning time and time againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014We ordered a couple of small plates and a full size entree. The food was incredible with the exception of the Mac and cheese. We ordered as a side thinking it would be a homemade dish using differant cheeses. It honestly looked and tasted like velvetta Mac and cheese out of a box. It was definitely made with some sort of processed cheese. The other dishes were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveninggoodeatsDined on 8/9/2014Enjoyed the evening with excellent service from Kate. Anniversary dinner and the team made it a very lovely night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/9/2014I was a bit disappointed had a reservation for 6 @ 5:45 (went back to change for 7 and I was getting only available apt was @ 9:30) we got there at 5:45 (6) and there where plenty of tables. Food was excellent out of the 6 orders only two (steak) that were cold, although it was very tasty but cold. Service excellent.Special Features:
- good to come back againhungrybillDined on 8/9/2014I have been here several times before and have always enjoyed the place. Their signature citrus salad, which I always get, is outstanding. I had the 16 oz rib eye steak and it was juicy. My wife had the fish and it was tender with delicious sauce. The pecan dessert was um-um good. The menu is does not have a large selection but enough to be able to find something that will meet your taste.Special Features:
- Best Food AroundLive4God2Dined on 8/8/2014The variety of choices and awesome combinations make for some of the best food I've ever had. Dave is an amazing chef! The staff has always been very kind and helpful. My wife has a dairy allergy, Dave and his team were very accomodating and met our every request. My wife and I enjoy our meals and time there immensely.Special Features:
- It'll do just fine if:overspentDined on 8/2/2014- You are looking for finer-dining in the Algonquin area - You need a change of pace in the Algonquin area - You are craving delicious seafood - You want to spend a lot of money on your dinner Overall, I thought Montarra was fine. It didn't blow me away and it wasn't bad. We waited an exorbitant amount of time for our meals - I think the waitress forgot to put our order in. We were also sat in the bar area which has a totally different vibe than the restaurant section...something to request if you care about that. We got one appetizer for the table, bacon-wrapped dates, and they were good. Each of us tried a different seafood dish, and they were all good too. Just nothing mind-blowing. It's a little overpriced for what it is.Special Features:
- A night out with old friendsFriendsnightoutDined on 8/2/2014Another great night out at Montarra Grill. Amy our server was helpful and patience as we had not been there in a while and they had a new menu. Love the bacon wrapped dates followed by their carna asada tacos as an opener. Main courses were more tacos, Ahi Tuna and the riotto of the day a crab and corn. All this paired with some good beer and wine.Special Features:
- Dinning outDinningoutDined on 8/2/2014Food was good as usual, but the plates were on the counter for at least ten minutes before they were served. Something had to be added to one of the plates, so the timing was off and the other plates just sat for a long time. I know this because we could look into the kitchen and watch what was going on. The dinners were warm, not hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice anniversary restaurantDBrownDined on 7/29/2014My wife and I recently celebrated our anniversary at Montarra and were not disappointed. Great food, good ambiance...this is a real find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant AroundOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014Great food and great service from a friendly staff.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem in Algonquin, ILPAM58Dined on 7/26/2014Consistently fantastic and inventive. Brought a group of friends that had never been, Montarra has 6 new fans. Wine list a bit weak, but they do permit outside wine to be brought in with small corkage fee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodEPBIDined on 7/26/2014My wife and I had dinner at Montarra's on Sat evening. We have eaten there many times before, and this visit did not disappoint. Can't go wrong dining at Montarra.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionMattDined on 7/25/2014The food was very good to excellent. The price is on the higher side, but felt it was reasonable for the quality and quantity of food. Filet and the mixed seafood plate (bouillabaisse montarra) were excellent. The wine pricing was high considering they only pour a partial glass (1/4). Better to BYOB and pay $20 corkage fee as opposed to the $9-10/glass- house wine. The service was average, (our server took a long time to bring out 1 glass of wine at the start, main course took quite a while and she only checked back a couple of times through-out the entire evening). Nice ambience at the restaurant. A good place for a special occasion dinner. I would go back again. All in all, a good experience, despite the average service.Special Features:
- Another great experiencesmz1VIPDined on 7/25/2014WOW. This time was even better than the last. We were seated in the restaurant (not bar) area and it was super. Everything from the ambiance to the food to the service....unbeatable. Can not wait to go back. Service was nothing short of AMAZING and the food + desserts were perfect.Special Features:
- Fnatastic!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Full disclosure, I know the chef. With that being said, it does not sway my review in any one direction. The bottom line is that Montarra is an amazing place with amazing ambiance and amazing food. The dinning area is set up well with enough space to feel intimate with your party. One thing you'll notice is the hand blown light fixtures but most noticeable is the food and staff energy. The bartenders were prompt and knowledgeable as well was our waitress. I recommend sharing a large dish but accompanying it with 2 small plates for sharing. You will love everything about this place. Chef Dave has a lot of passion for food and it clearly shows. Thanks guys!!!Special Features:
- Great food BUT!BobFDined on 7/25/2014You can't beat this restaurants food. I always thought that this place was too pricey before I actually went but I was wrong. The food was great. Don't get me wrong, the prices are not such that you would like to go on a weekly basis but for that special evening it is the best. The decor is really nice with Chihuly on the ceilings and a waterfall in the bar. The only drawback is the noise level. I don't know if it is the high ceilings or the lack of something on the walls but the constant noise level takes a little away from this establishment. That being said, in spite of the noise, it is a definate return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- crazy expensivegoodeatsDined on 7/25/2014Food was good but I've had much better steak at other fine dining establishments. Portions are small and I'm glad I ordered a loaded baked potato on the side. However it was hard and the topping was overcooked to the max. Our service was great and I did like the time span allowed for out dining experience. Tab was $400 for 4 which included a 20 percent tip. Two appetizers, two rounds of cocktails, dinner plus two desserts.Special Features:
- 5 Star experiencetvdineDined on 7/25/2014I recently took my wife here for our anniversary. I have lived in this area for over 20 years but have never had dinner here, so I was not sure what to expect. I can't say enough about how great our experience was. The food was over the top good, I can not remember having as good of a meal as I had this night. Starting with appetizers to desert, 5 stars all around. And the service was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MontarraTlee4Dined on 7/20/2014We try to go to a different place for every "date night" but we may change our plans and return to Montarra many times. Every single thing we ate was excellent and the service was great. We want to try more of the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NightoutNightoutDined on 7/20/2014Food was very good. Service was good. We had a reservation but was seated at a small table next to a wall, window tables were open and larger tables remained unused. This was the only bad thing about our experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/20/2014As always we are never disappointed when we dine at Montarra. Wish we lived closer. We would be a patron at least once a week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strip Mall SurpriseRavenVIPDined on 7/13/2014One expects a certain experience when dining at a strip mall establishment. Montarra is certainly the exception to the rule. As you enter you are welcomed into a subdued and richly decorated atmosphere and you immediately forget you are at a strip mall restaurant. The wait staff discreetly take your order and make gentle suggestions if you have questions. When you sip the wine you have chosen from the formidable wine list and taste the outstanding menu selection you have made. All 5 of our party had a different choice and we all raved over our choices from the steak to the salmon, to the risotto etc. All excellent as well as the desserts. Do not pass up this opportunity to try a truly unique strip mall fine dining experience.Special Features:
- PumpkinDined on 7/12/2014My husband and I have enjoyed every meal/appetizer. We keep going back so we can try everything on the menu. The cocktails are also great. Overall great service, great food, great ambiance!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local secretMrsdanjonesDined on 7/12/2014This is a great place for people who are looking for a good wine list and a "big city" menu, without the price. Very creative combination of food. Always delicious and we enjoy bringing friends to this location.Special Features:
- Very Well but not OutstandingTolos2Dined on 7/10/2014No complaints on the food and prices. Steaks are tender & flavorful. Small plates (tapas) are the portions one would expect, same with the appetizer portions. My main was the steak tips and the sauce was savory. I also had the onion soup (traditional & savory), & the scallops (could have done without the sauce). Service was attentive. I'm sure for the area of location, it's one of the top restaurants, considering the local selection is a lot of chain fare. For me, it was what I would minimally expect for decent American cuisine, with a splash of above-average on the palate and atmosphere. I chose the restaurant because it was close to my hotel and previously told by a friend, "when around Chicago, you gotta hit the meat restaurants!"
- Pricey, but deliciousFoodie88Dined on 7/10/2014Food was excellent, service was prompt! Wine and drinks were fantastic. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinner Done Right!JorcatDined on 7/10/2014My husband and I chose to come back to Montarra after not being there for several years (for no other reason than life gets busy with kids, etc.!). I made a reservation online easily, and when we sat down, they had printed special menus that said "Happy Anniversary!" at the top, which was a nice touch. Our server was excellent, so friendly and knowledgeable, and she made great suggestions. The seared ahi tuna melted in my mouth, the petite crisps were to die for, and the risotto of the day was heavenly (sweet peas, bacon, and Brie. Drool-worthy. My husband didn't like that it had onions, but that's just his opinion!). The wine list was amazing. As parents, we don't get to dine out often, but this was the perfect night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful anniversary dinner!MikeandLesloDined on 7/3/2014My husband and I spent a lovely dinner at Montarra's celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. The food and service was outstanding and they truly made our special night one to remember always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NajeebKhanDined on 7/3/2014Service was ok ,but food was cold,disappointed. I am not sure what else to say ,i like short and up to the point,hope that is enough.ThanksSpecial Features:
- Great MealWhoNeedsReservationsDined on 7/1/2014We had a great meal: good service, wine, and food. The four of us had nothing to complain about with our meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.