Monsoon Fine Cuisine of India
729 4th Ave.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Monsoon Fine Cuisine of India
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.monsoonrestaurant.com/index.html
- Phone: 6192345555
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Buffet: Daily: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 2:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 2:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Ashley Popat
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Rakesh Popat 6198134565
A word from Monsoon Fine Cuisine of India
Monsoon invites you into an ethnic dining dream transcending global culinary borders and introducing diversity within India. A mirrored wall is embellished with a rainbow of lanterns and dim golden lighting to create a warm exotic refuge. Antique style chandeliers hang from the ceiling, flowers and candles brighten up the elegant white table settings and high backed chairs and wall seating allow guests to feel like royalty. The relaxing sound of the waterfall transforms the space into an intimate dining oasis. The buffet area displays diverse and colorful dishes. Wine bottles are integrated into the wall décor encompassing guests into unified world of indulgence. It is a feast for all the senses. Like the beautiful décor, the menu blends a diverse cultural influences merging authenticity with experimentation to create a unique global harmony. Although predominantly influenced by Northern India Monsoon's menu also features various regional dishes. An equally varied beverage and fineContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Monsoon Fine Cuisine of India reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
romantic (5)fit for foodies (5)special occasion (4)good for groups (4)great for lunch (4)neighborhood gem (3)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Loyal CustomersOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014We love this new find in our area. We are stuck on Tikka Masala, but have seen many other plates come out that look outstanding and well presented. You must try this place. The serve staff is very friendly and the owner is very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service, OK food, ExpensiveBarryOTooleDined on 8/13/2014The restaurant had only a few tables occupied but the service was slow. When I complained, I came to know that there's only one waiter in house, when I asked to speak to manager, the waiter said 'It is I'. The food was OK - even though I got their 'signature' dish, but the prices were exorbitant. Maybe the waiter was the cook/chef as well, hence the delay and quality of food.
- Such a shameGPSurfDined on 8/11/2014This restaurant experience could have been so much better. The food was lovely but the service was lousy. Had to send some things back because they were cold by the time they were presented to the table. Not that the 2 chaps working didn't try hard, just that they were completely understaffed. Such a shame.
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014This was the best Indian food I've had since my trip to India two years ago. I can't say enough about the food - it was delicious. Ambiance was a little more low key. This isn't necessarily a place to go because of the vibrant scene (at least not the night I was there - a Saturday in summer) - but it's absolutely a place to go for phenomenal Indian food. I would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014People were friendly and Monsoon has a great location, but the food was not good. The samosa filling was too processed and the batter was thick and overcooked. The naan stuffing was minimal and slightly off. The beer was a little flat and warm. The biryani was more like a bad combination of Spanish and fried rice. Even the raita and tamarind sauces were poorly executed. There are better Indian restaurants in San Diego.
- Food yes - drinks and dessert knowhadhigherexpectationsDined on 6/17/2014Admitted he had no idea how to make a martini and they had no olives Try to Jenna and tonic and the tonic was flat This is real good very flavorful in different Desserts were a huge disappointment - don't botherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 117 reviews are from the Monsoon Fine Cuisine of India reviews archive.
- Valentine's Day disappointmentDisappointedDined on 2/14/2014Unfortunately didn't get a chance to try the actual food. Something was obviously amiss as we sat and sat for nearly two hours, waiting for something beyond a salad to arrive. Had to eventually leave to make it to our movie. Thankfully they didn't try to charge us for the couple drinks we had.
- ExoticDinedinedineDined on 2/14/2014I found the appetizers to be really interesting and exiting. The food was excellent, rich flavouribg and lots of spicy kick!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The cutlery with the leftoverDinner4usDined on 1/26/2014The cutlery with the leftover take home fiis was a nice bonus!!! Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedPeggyDined on 1/4/2014We had lunch at the Monsoon before going tothe theater. I wasn't sure I'd like Indian food, but enjoyed it very much. Everything was delicious. I loved the orange, passionfruit sunrise. The staff were all very friendly. We will go again.Special Features:
- Was ok but would not returnOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/28/2013When searching the restaurant on-line we found the menu and looked over the items. Due to diet restrictions one person in the party was limited in what they can eat. Finding suitable items to eat we decided to have dinner there. But we got a surprise when the menus were given to us and the items on the webpage were not there. We were told the restaurant had three locations and not all items were offered at the various locations. If we had know this (if it had been stated on the website) we would not have selected this restaurant. The waiter was helpful in trying to find something that would fit the diet restrictions. Over all the food was good but we would not return.
- We went to the 'wrong' one but thenDrArletteDined on 12/16/2013We thought we had signed up to go to the other restaurant... Masala... but could not remember the name. Then we learned why this one felt familiar and the food was FAB... they are sister ships so to speak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monsoon Fine Cuisine of IndiaScottDined on 12/4/2013The experience was eye opening. I was very impressed with the varied foods but the service needs to cater to woman.. My date was treated differently then I was being catered too. It seemed the Indian mentality of the man being prioritise was bleeding over to America. On another note, don't count on your special "Note" being implemented e.g. I asked for a single Rose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find for Friday Nite Buffet!MaggiesMOMDined on 10/19/2013This was the only Friday night Indian buffet we could find in the city and it was terrific! Good food with lots of choices and great service! Can't wait to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really decent and quite placeRommDined on 8/27/2013In a bustling downtown scene, this place offers some quite dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't go before theater!MmmmVIPDined on 8/24/2013Wrong entree brought ,they removed it and took quite a while to bring correct one. Ordered 2 different Nan's, they forgot one and brought it almost at end of meal. Tandoori chicken very dry. They didn't offer to comp anything. Although we told them before ordering that we had theater tickets, had to sit and wait a long time for the check to come and then almost missed curtain.
- I really like Indian foodGeneVIPDined on 7/22/2013I really like Indian food quite a bit and opted for the buffet. Next time, I will try the regular menu. Service was extremely slow and non-attentive. We waited quite a while to get our bill (had to get them). Then, we had to wait again for them to take our payments.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible service and bad food...DAVMGDined on 7/20/2013Nothing came as requested, wrong dishes on the table, late service, when you asked for not spicy, it came back spicy, twice, first because the waitress didn't know one was an spicy dish, even when she was directly asked, and brought it again, spicy... there were mistakes with everybody's food, etc. Seriously, I expected the best indian restaurant in SD, and I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be able to find a worse one. We were 9 on the table, and everybody hated it...
- Second time dining here inKimarklyVIPDined on 6/21/2013Second time dining here in years and it didn't disappoint. Brought our daughter and her (Indian)boyfriend here for dinner and we all enjoyed the meal. Chicken Tikka Masala and Butter Chicken...both with mild heat and garlic naan. BF and husband both said the heat level was ok but wanted more. Daughter and I thought it was just fine. We had reservations for 6:30PM on a Friday night and were seated on time. The restaurant was packed by 7:30PM.Special Features:
- Everything is nice except the foodBrandXDined on 6/16/2013An attractive-looking restaurant with contemporary touches and low lighting and a touch of flash -- a big screen t.v. playing Bollywood music videos (which were amusing). A little noisy since the front of the restaurant is all French doors which are left open to the street. Service is quick and attentive. Went for their $19 dinner buffet. Expected more choices and variety. Two vegetarian dishes. No baingan bhartha (roasted eggplant). Marsala everything (I think 6 of the 8 entrees were tomato-based). Only chicken. No lamb. Desserts are skimpy. Although we got there at 5 PM, when the dinner buffet starts and everything should be fresh, my wife thought some of the food didn't tasted like it was left over from the previous night.
- Everything was good with thekathyVIPDined on 6/8/2013Everything was good with the restaurant except for the service. They were unbelievably slow and not attentive at all. The restaurant was not busy for a Saturday night and still the service was very poor.Special Features:
- Great food!Kimmy619Dined on 5/17/2013The food at dinner buffet was delicious! I loved the variety of choices including the famous Chicken Tikka Masala, garlic naan bread, and the mango mousse dessert. The restaurant looked really nice inside and the service was great too. The only thing is that it does not offer valet option and parking lot is a few blocks away. Besides that it is a great date night place, family restaurant, or a place to meet up and have dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great, Service notOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/4/2013Excellent food. Would go again, however the service was poor. It wasn't very busy, but it took a long time to get our orders in, and each time we had a different waiter.Special Features:
- They have great food and goodazsunshinz4Dined on 1/11/2013They have great food and good customer service. The ambiance is superb. The mixed drinks were very tasty as well.Special Features:
- Service Didn't Equal The FoodTommy750Dined on 1/5/2013Food as usual was good. Service was worse than the last couple times we've been here. Lots of excuses why everything was late although the place wasn't really packed.
- Satisfied my craving for IndianOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/3/2013Despite some negative reviews about the service at Monsoon, we decided to give it a try. I loved sitting next to the waterfall, very romantic for our "date night." Our server was Dominick. He was extremely attentive and helpful with menu suggestions. We ordered off the menu but I did notice that the majority of the patrons were enjoying the buffet. The food came out quickly and hot. Dominick checked back frequently (but not annoyingly so) to see if we needed anything. Another employee made frequent visits to refill our water and clear empty plates. I will definitely return to Monsoon again. It was a very pleasurable experience!Special Features:
- Lost its sexinessOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/21/2012This place use to be hipper and sexier. I don't know what happened. It's still nice but something's missing. Can a restaurant lose its cool factor?Special Features:
- Great dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/17/2012We loved both the food and the service, and we plan to return soon & often.Special Features:
- Don't get why it isn't busierOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/30/2012Excellent Indian food. Great ambiance, right in the heart of downtown. Amazing bar with cocktails. Highly recomened it.Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)psycloppsDined on 11/12/2012The food always amazes. As stated in the name, fine dining matches the indoor environment. It is conveniently located across the street from the Horton Plaza mall so I highly recommend parking there and validating it, much easier than finding a street parking spot.Special Features:
- Our waiter was great, butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2012Our waiter was great, but unforutnately the food was really only OKAY. I wouldnt go back or waste your money.
- all around "slightly betterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/27/2012all around "slightly better than adequate" ... we were hoping for as "great" as some of the other gaslampSpecial Features:
- Met some friends at the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/26/2012Met some friends at the restaurant on a Friday night. We ended up having the buffet which had a pretty good selection for the price. Everything tasted good and seemed fresh. It wasn't very busy but we had to ask for the wine/drink menu and then later for rice with our dinner. The drinks were on the pricey side. Overall, everyone enjoyed the dinner.
- Very tasteful interior, butOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/23/2012Very tasteful interior, but surprisingly empty (Tuesday night). Food was really good.Special Features:
- Because of a time issue, myOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2012Because of a time issue, my friend and I were at Monsoon when they opened at 5PM. There were few parties dining so it was very quiet (which is good). We told our server we had to leave in one hour and he was quite accommodating. I appreciated that the menu is less complex than some menus are in Indian Restaurants. I usually need my friend to help me order but Monsoon made this easy. I had a delicious cucumber salad which I requested to have less spicy than noted on the menu; it was perfect. My entree was the Mixed-grill which was excellent. The service was exceptional; the servers seemed to show up when we needed something and they did not hover over us. Over all, the experience was very pleasant. We both loved the decor!Special Features:
- Love this place, will definitelyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2012Love this place, will definitely be going back. Great way to celebrate our second wedding anniversary!Special Features:
- Great Value!DoctorJDined on 10/4/2012We selected a table outside. It rocked a little, but that didn't detract from the experience. Although the dinner buffet provided plenty of good food for a great price, my dining companion cooks at home all the time and likes to have food served at the table when dining out; my vegetarian preferences were better accommodated by ordering from the menu. Our draft Kingfisher brews arrived refreshingly cold, with periodic attention from the wait staff for refills. My paneer arrived spiced as requested with a perfect ratio of spinach to cheese cubes. The garlic nan could have had more garlic for my taste, but my dining partner thought it perfect. Monsoon India hit the spot for service, food, drink, and price.Special Features:
- Awesome service. The serverh723Dined on 9/30/2012Awesome service. The server was very informative and accommodating given it was our first time trying Indian food. Their chicken masala was tender and full of flavor and their other curry with coconut milk was creamy and I used all the naan to wipe the plate clean.Special Features:
- We had the $20 all-you-can-eatlanriVIPDined on 9/24/2012We had the $20 all-you-can-eat buffet, which was an excellent value and contained a large array of items that were quite tasty but not distinguishable from other good Indian food. The service was attentive and friendly and the decor was lovely.
- The customer service was outstandinOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2012The customer service was outstanding from the person meeting us at the door until we finished our meal. They have an excellent buffet as well as a large menu. The food was delicious and plentiful. My wife really raved over the samosas with their flaky crust and wonderful flavor. We would definitely go back and recommend to others.Special Features: