1212 3rd Street Promenade
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
Pan-AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://monsooncafe.us/
- Phone: 3105769996x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm
Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
Happy Hour: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - Close
Happy Hour: Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Pan-Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Tri Nguyen
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Monsoon Cafe has catered for a wide variety of private events such as fashion collections, cinema premiers, and weddings. Our catering team is at your service to answer any of your catering needs. Whether it be for large hall events to offices, buffet style to sit down courses, can be delivered to the location of your choice to become the highlight of your party.
- Private Party Facilities: We have several areas in our restaurant to meet your specific needs. Here is some of our general information:
Main Dining - 125
Mezzanine - 65
Lounge - 80
Private Dining Area - 30
Contact our event coordinator via phone or email to schedule a tour of our facility.
- Private Party Contact: Tear Soth 3105769996x
- Entertainment: September 2013
Wednesdays and Saturdays - Monsoon Salsa Night: Join us for salsa lessons and dancing in the lounge 8pm-1:30am.
(for more details, visit https://www.facebook.com/monsoonsalsanight)
Fridays - Samo Wine Tasting Party: Come taste wine from around the world, music, and discounted food prices in the lounge from 8-11pm.
(Tickets $22 with promo code "YES" here... http://bit.ly/SMWINEP)
- Special Events: Call or email us at email@example.com and let us assist you with you special occasion.
A word from Monsoon Cafe
**Note: On Fridays and Saturdays we require 2 hours advanced notice for all reservations. Reservations made less than 2 hours in advance may not be confirmed or validated.**Continued
Enjoy our Pan-Asian and Sushi offerings in a relaxed, fun environment. Come for the delicious food, stay for the entertainment.
Enjoy our Pan-Asian and Sushi offerings in a relaxed, fun environment. Come for the delicious food, stay for the entertainment.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Monsoon Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (6)good for groups (6)romantic (5)special occasion (5)great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)neighborhood gem (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Great food mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2014The food was great but the restaurant was significantly under-staffed at the time we were there. Hard to get waitress's attention. Took us a long time to place our order but when we got our food we were surprised by the great quality of the food.
- Hoping it was a bad dayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014I used to come here all the time. My husband and I had our first date here. Coming back was such a disappointment. The food was really bad, we couldn't even finish eating it. I know it used to be better, or they were having a really off night!Special Features:
- Night outEmperoriggDined on 7/26/2014Great service, we kept expanding the side of my party and they never once complained. Menu change was a slight bummer and the monsoon roll has too much cream cheese lol but this place is awesome and I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timesdee2Dined on 7/14/2014Heard about this place but never tried. So we decided to try during DineLA Week. Glad we did..service and food was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Confused restaurant, slow serviceWtg4theWeekendDined on 5/16/2014My wife and I went here to start our date night. We liked our cozy booth, but were disappointed by how long it took for our server to check in with us. We ordered coctails off the specialty menu, but found them tasteless, except for mine which had a saccharine after-taste. The sushi rolls tasted like sushi at the mall or supermarket, not freshly made. We each left half of out entree uneaten and skipped dessert.
- The following 246 reviews are from the Monsoon Cafe reviews archive.
- MonsoonPippaFoxDined on 4/19/2014Nice staff, good food, right on 3rd street. Salsa on some Saturday nights & discounted with your dining receipt- we had a great time even though we couldn't salsa well :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy Place to DineLuvmansoonDined on 3/15/2014First time at the restaurant. Very friendly staff. Night Manager was very nice. Very good food. My date and I enjoyed the place and will visit again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sacrafic Service for great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2014The piped i. Music in the dining room room over the booths was abnoxious it conflicted with what was playing in there, maybe it was bar music coming from the bar that was piped through? The food and prices are great but you wilill sacrafice sevice.. Both times ive been there the service jas been terribly poor, but the food made up for it. My fave is the surf and turf roll! Great for an appetizer and the biggest roll I"ve ever seen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehcowfeetDined on 2/27/2014When I arrived, hostess seemed a little dazed, and preceded to tell me to wait at the front since she was out of menus. They then sat me and my date at a giant booth for 4-5 people, instead of a normal, date sized table. Food took forever to come out, and when it did, I was unimpressed. I got the "wok'd veggies", and they were all hard, ill trimmed, and in a horrible sauce. I loooove eating and normally clean my plate, but I ate maybe half of my dinner. Also, the light above the booth-table was strange. I felt like I was going to hit my head on it.
- Great night out with friends!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/15/2014Great atmosphere, Great Food, Great Service, Fun Location, Great wine and beer selection; I would recommend to a friend and come back myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monsoon, not a "Perfect storm"NullboxerDined on 2/14/2014My reservations and dinner were on Feb14th. I had to cut some things see full review on yelp My wife's pear salad was spare but nice. My lobster soup was not so good. The smell was terrible and the taste was worse if you can believe that? My wife is the seafood lover and she couldn't get past the smell to taste it. The main course was just as disappointing my chicken was so salty even removing the skin didn't help. It is a very good thing we purchased the oysters or we would have gone home hungry. I don't know what this place is like on a regular night, but they were terrible on Valentines day which is a day the should have shined! Our waiter was so good that he could have earned the place three stars on his own. The food was that bad!
- DineLA!SuperianDined on 1/21/2014Chicken Potstickers - You get (3) fried, rectangular potstickers with a sweet/sour dipping sauce. There isn't a lot of filling in the potstickers and the flavor was just ok. I don't think I would have gotten this again as the appetizer. Maybe try the Vegetarian Samosas. Rating: 6/10. Scottish Salmon - The Salmon itself was nicely cooked but the complementing vegetables seemed to pale in comparison. You get a lot of bok choy and some of them tasted a little slimy (overcooked?) while the Yellow Curry around the salmon was very watery. I would have rather gotten the Snake River Farms Ribeye. I tasted some of my friend's and it was delicious! Rating 7/10.Special Features:
- First dateRONJOVIIDined on 1/8/2014I arrived earlier than my date. Hostesses brought my Girl to the table. Very friendly wait staff/Hostest. Wi-Fi available...ordered Calimari ans Edemami..Cold Saki. Saki wasn't as good as the waiter suggested. Calimari was delicious...my date enjoyed the Edemami.. $60 including tip.All-in-All it was a decent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst EverRobertVIPDined on 1/1/2014We had a terrible meal at Monsoon Cafe where mediocre food was made much worse by absolutely horrible service. Avoid at all times!
- Good for a group partyLASPDined on 12/31/2013Went there for an early New Year's Eve dinner with family and friends -- a party of 7. Restaurant located in nice shopping area and has good access to city parking lot. Atmosphere is open and enticing. Menu has a wide range of food options and drink options are plentiful. Fun place to celebrate! Food was good but not great.Special Features:
- Fun and special family dinnerHungryFamilyDined on 11/10/2013We went to Monsoon for a little post-piano-recital family celebration. The decor knocked our 11-year-old's socks off...he was in love with the place. Service was great, food was quite good. Not the extensive and eclectic menu we remember from a couple of years ago, but still plenty of tasty offerings. We were there very early, about 5 pm, which made it quiet and kid-friendly (at least for a reasonably well-behaved kid who can stay in his seat for a whole meal). We enjoyed it very much and will definitely return!Special Features:
- Going downhillOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/29/2013Looks like the menu is not only getting smaller but also the quality of the non-sushi offerings is on the decline. Kung pal shrimp defining, as is curry.
- The waiter seemed over stretched.gidgetDined on 10/19/2013The waiter seemed over stretched. He was the only waiter upstairs and he had a large party and a couple other tables besides us. We got half-way through our meal before the my husband received his sashimi. The food was okay, but for the prices I expected quality better than a take-out. It wasn't bad, but for a check close to $100.00, I expect better than okay. The ambiance was very cool, and I wanted to be able to recommend this restaurant, but after our experience on Saturday, I do not think I can.
- messed up on open table pointsOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/13/2013The service has gotten better at this place. Food is still quite good. But we booked with open table and told them that when we arrived. They even found us in the computer and said OK. But then they reported us as a "no show" to opentable so we had to scan and email the receipt to prove we actually should get the points.
- always goodbiscuittVIPDined on 8/27/2013the food is great as always. staff friendly and good serviceSpecial Features:
- goodhappydiner123Dined on 8/17/2013I enjoyed the atmosphere of the place. it was interesting. I expected a little more from food but that aside i loved the place and i will be going back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Oasis inside!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/25/2013The space is a lot bigger than you would think from looking at it from the outside. There's a rather large atrium or courtyard style space inside, with three sort of levels of seating. I came with a group of co-workers for lunch one day and we had a mixed experience. Half the group liked what they ordered, the other group was not impressed, probably depends on personal taste. The service left a little something to be desired though as it was already 1:30 in the afternoon, the restaurant didn't seem that busy (it was mostly empty - but the space is pretty big) and yet it took awhile (15 minutes for ice cream) for us to get our desserts and check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi at a Great PriceDonnaGVIPDined on 7/20/2013Love coming here for happy hour and their delicious sushi. I'd say it's the 2nd best sushi in Santa Monica, right behind Sushi Roku. I know good sushi and this place has it without breaking your wallet. Great service too.Special Features:
- Monsoon has gone downhillNaliniDined on 7/20/2013I have been going to Monsoon since it openned. It used to be one of my favorite restaurants. In the last two months I have been there 3 times. The quality of the food has deteriorated. Overcooked and underflavored. The service has become slow and inattentive. Long waits to get food in the first place. Appetizers forgotten or delivered after the entree. Tea brewed so long it is bitter. Waitresses that disappear and forget about you. The service used to be fantastic. The food used to be superb, tasty and beautifully prepared. No more. Now mediocrity and poor service seem to be the norm.
- FairYessyDined on 7/18/2013The food was great. My date and I went on a Wed night for dinner and I was dissapointed in the customer service. We were there for over an hour and we only made contact with our server twice . The person that was more attentive was the busser. He always made sure we had water to drink and even asked us if we needed anything , which I thought was odd because that was the servers job. When we needed the check, we had to ask a random employee to get for us and once the credit card was charged, then our server appeared for the second and final time.Special Features:
- We stop in here at least aOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/12/2013We stop in here at least a few times a year when we visit Santa Monica. Some years our experience is really good and some it's just OK. There is not a high degree of consistency. We used to come in for the sushi. Now there is very little sushi on the menu. The bar is consistently good. Good selection of creative cocktails. I would say that this is a very solid choice if you're on the 3rd St Promenade and are looking for a good bar or an energetic place with pretty good food.Special Features:
- Amazing food and cocktailsMrsD2012VIPDined on 5/14/2013I have been going to Monsoon for 10 years. This place has not changed at all in the last 10 years. Great Asian food and some of the best sushi I've ever had. They have a wide variety of signature cocktails. I would recommend Monsoon for either a group dinner with friends or a romantic dinner with your special loved one. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at reasonable pricesCecileDined on 5/4/2013Friendly and prompt staff. Great choices of dishes to choose from and prices are reasonable. Perfect for romantic night or special occassion whether small or large groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a amazing place, IMickiDined on 4/17/2013This is a amazing place, I was with my wife for her birthday and we got a special attention on the romantic table with two cups of champagne and delicious appetizers of shrimp and Peruvian sushi!!, it was an awesome night!!! ThanksSpecial Features:
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/2/2013thank you for making our birthday dinner so nice and appreciated the dessert!Special Features:
- Wonderful ambiance that makesDiscerningVIPDined on 3/23/2013Wonderful ambiance that makes you feel as if you are in another country. The food is good, too. But it's hard to find your waiter, even when you want to pay your bill.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/2/2013Wonderful dining experience! Great decor, great service, great food,and prices. Would recommend to others.Special Features:
- the sushi here is on the weakOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/23/2013the sushi here is on the weak side, wouldn't bring me backSpecial Features:
- Great Place for Business LunchSherieVIPDined on 2/18/2013Had a business lunch and Monsoon Cafe was perfect. The service was attentive but not overbearing and the food was reasonable and great. The hostess was very friendly and accommodating when I asked for a quiet booth.Special Features:
- Great place, I love the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/15/2013Great place, I love the food and the service every time I go. The price is right and the food is on point.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere but mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Great atmosphere, I'll give them that, but the food was just mediocre at best. I had the Monsoon Fried Rice and my friend had the Pad Thai. We've also ordered the Tuna Crab Eggroll and the Potstickers for appetizer. The two main dishes were greasy greasy greasy! The fried rice was bland, even with their "XO Sauce" (which is laughable at best, it was not spicy at all). The Pad Thai tasted nothing like real Pad Thai. It was, again, bland. The eggroll was just a sad excuse of an eggroll. It's one eggroll cut into four pieces and it's $4. I didn't see any tuna in the eggroll either and the "crab" is just imitation crab meat. Only bright side was the potstickers.Special Features:
- Decent Pan-AsianWestsidefoodlvrDined on 2/2/2013Decent place. Staff was attentive and helpful. Tried the vegetable roll as an appetizer. Dining guest had the shrimp bowl - I had the pad thai with chicken. Nothing overwhelmingly spectacular, but good food nonetheless. Not too noisy - but did arrive before many would on a Saturday evening, and noticed the place starting to fill up as I left. Recommended attire is business casual, but given that this place is located in a popular tourist area, I noticed that almost anything went.
- The day my group of five went,KishaDined on 1/30/2013The day my group of five went, Monsoon was quite understaffed and service was really slow. It took our food and drinks so long to arrive that one person had to leave before his food arrived because we had been there over an hour! Our drinks didn't arrive until after our appetizers. The weird thing is that the restaurant was not even crowded! It was actually quite empty for 1:00pm.Special Features:
- The food was exotic... It'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/21/2013The food was exotic... It's different from the other Asian restaurants I've tried.Special Features:
- Monsoon Pan-Asian Bistro wasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/21/2013Monsoon Pan-Asian Bistro was great. It did take us a little while to get seated, but that wasn't a big issue. Our waiter was great and the food was spectacular, especially for the price! The food was also given to us in a timely manner. The ambiance was also nice and felt exotic.Special Features: