Monsoon: Asian Kitchen and Lounge
48 Deer Park Ave.
Babylon, NY 11702Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Monsoon: Asian Kitchen and Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.monsoonny.com/
- Phone: (631) 587-4400
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Thurs 5PM - 11PM: Fri, Sat 5PM - 12AM; Sun Closed until Sept 15
Lounge: Mon-Thur 4:30PM - 1AM; Fri, Sat 4:30PM-2AM; Sun Closed until Sept 15
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Michael Wilson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Please visit http://monsoonny.com/catering.php for more information
- Special Events: Please contact our restaurant for further details.
A word from Monsoon: Asian Kitchen and Lounge
Monsoon, connoting seasonal weather changes across Asia, represents a wind of change in concept and menu for the Bohlsen family. It is the group’s first Asian restaurant and the sixth in its portfolio of leading Long Island restaurants. Monsoon bridges the gap between authentic Vietnamese, Chinese and Thai and what Long Islanders love most about modern Asian cuisine in a menu of exciting, explosively flavored food. The relaxed and hip setting of this 21st century restaurant makes use of all technology has to offer while presenting some of the oldest, and most tried and true, Asian dishes, brought the Bohlsen way, to Long Island.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
Monsoon: Asian Kitchen and Lounge - Best Restaurants in Babylon ›
Monsoon: Asian Kitchen and Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (49)good for groups (48)special occasion (46)hot spot (42)neighborhood gem (39)vibrant bar scene (33)romantic (27)late-night find (18)notable wine list (12)great for lunch (4)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Ice Ceeam for DesertdudleyDined on 4/2/2014Steak is new on the menue and the NY Strip was perfect, the three dipping sauces were different and enjoyable. The sweet and sour chicken with a side of Jasmine rice is perfect. You can't go wrong with any of the dumplings for an appetizer. But save room for the three ice cream cones (flavors vary over time), it is good for two or three people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- second time here was a bust.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/1/2014not crowded at all and I made a reservationstill were told to wait. our waiter was completely oblivious. ordered 2 apps and only got one. Then we ordered our entrees waited for so long. The waiter came over and asked if we were ready for dessert. HE TOTALLY FORGOT US AND DIDN'T EVEN REALIZED HE NEVER GAVE US OUR DINNER. When it finally came out it was the wrong dish. So annoyed. we had been there 2 hours at this point and it wasn't even busy. almost every table around us was empty. We decided on no dessert because we wanted to just get out of there! To top it off food was just "eh" nothing great. Will not be returning.Special Features:
- Blow away Monsoon!GlobaltravelerVIPDined on 3/30/2014This is probably the fifth time I have been here. It started out with excellent food and has progressively gone downhill. I ordered Shrimp Tempura and the seafood fried rice. The Shrimp were hot but the rest of the vegetables were lukwarm. If you know anything about Tempura, it has to be served hot - this definitely wasn't and the flavor and texture paid the price. The seafood fried rice was basically bland with no seasoning at all. This was my last attempt to give the restaurant another try. I am quite surprised that the Bohlsen group would let one of their establishments continue with this behavior.
- First time won't be the last!Foodie14Dined on 3/28/2014Overall it was a great experience. Food was awesome! I had the shrimp tempura roll and the cod. Both were delicious! The only complaint was that they were all about cleaning, and replacing the plates and filling our water glasses over and over. There was a group of us and we would of liked a little less of all of that. Overall I would definitely go back and tell all my friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- servicelavitalocoDined on 3/22/2014this time was not happy with the service. i felt rushed in placing a orderSpecial Features:
- Great Menu and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/22/2014Loved the updated menu. Wonderful service by waiter Adam.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- everything was wonderful,OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/20/2014everything was wonderful, from the food to the ambiance.Special Features:
- MonsoonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/16/2014The food was delicious and the restaurant itself was very well put together. Would recommend to a friend, looking forward to dining there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphere!JblockDined on 3/14/2014Food was delicious! Lobster and steak and brussel sprouts were great! Atmosphere really jumping! A lot of fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Restaurant... Usually...RobaloDined on 3/11/2014We have been to Monsoon 5 times (And BRG restaurants several times). Of all our experiences this was the worst. We had ordered Shrimp Pad Thai, Ramen, and Sushi. During our ordering, we asked about the Lobster Cantonese - a new item on the menu - and we wound up receiving that dish instead of the Pad Thai (which was one of the reasons I wanted to go to Monsoon). That was fine, mistakes happen, but taking 20 minutes or more to receive the correct dish, that wasn't even piping hot, is unacceptable. Then the dish didn't taste right, so we sent it back and ordered the regular Pad Thai which tasted better, was piping hot, and came ever so quickly (3-4 minutes). That said I would return to Monsoon, but if that was my 1st experience, I would not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No reason to go to this restaurantsjlmVIPDined on 3/9/2014If I want sushi, there's an excellent Japanese restaurant down the block. If I want Chinese food I'll go to my favorite Chinese restaurant. This is a faux-fancy mish-mash. They took a gorgeous old bank building & turned it into a generic, "mod" restaurant with cafeteria-style chairs and tables. Fried calamari would have been excellent if it were not drowning in an overly sweet sauce. Fried chicken was excellent but $32 for a fried chicken is too expensive. Spareribs were tasteless--generic meat. Servers were young and inexperienced. The bar area is very large so maybe it is more successful there later in the evening.
- Pretty goodSteakLoverVIPDined on 3/8/2014Food was pretty good, but a little undercooked. Service was great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had an Amazing Birthday Dinner!DawnVIPDined on 3/7/2014I've been in love with your restaurants for years and now add Monsoon to the list. A friend took me there to celebrate my birthday and it was an all around wonderful experience. The food was awesome, Ashley-our server- was very attentive, accommodating, and just an awesome person, and I love the vibe! Congrats on another phenomenal dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chinese food?OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/1/2014this was an over-rated, overpriced chinese restaurant with a waitstaff that has no class. As a member of the Prime restaurant family, I thought it would be special. The waitstaff did not know how to coordinate the service, food came out at different times, plates were placed and then removed in error. Everything seemed haphazard and confused. The waiter we had was just a little obnoxious with his comments. we would never go back.Special Features:
- Everything great except forfessVIPDined on 2/22/2014Everything great except for the price. It's once a year kinda thing. You are paying mostly for the ambience. Cocktails excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than expectedBabylonDined on 2/15/2014Table was ready and we were there early. Food is really good although I have had much better sushi. My wife and i are always out in NYC eating and these prices for drinks are astronomical. Good drink menu but drinks are very pricey for a neighborhood place in Suffolk. Wonderful service and food was better than expected overall. Fantastic ambiance. Great first date or for that intimate occasion. But loud background Music.Special Features:
- AmbianceLennyAndJetsDined on 2/14/2014That would be the key word for this place. Reserved a table on VALENTINE'S DAY, (Asked for a table upstairs, in the back where it's quiet so we could talk) and my date enjoyed every bit of it. The bar/lounge where you can wait for your reservation was comfortable. While we waited, we kept admiring the style and feeling you get from the design of the place. You'll definitely enjoy the seperation of the lounge on the main floor to the dining area upstairs. When we were seated, the service was strangely quick. Food was quick and fanominal: KOBE COWBOY ROLL is the way to go. The fortune cookies are to die for. MUST READ BOTH SIDES OF FURTUNE. *coat check was free*Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good find.FatmanDined on 2/14/2014The front of the restaurant had a fun "loungey" feel great for small groups looking for drinks or smaller meals (appetizer/tapas). The back was more of a traditional restaurant. Modern feel but not cold or unwelcoming. The service wasn't 5 star but was absolutely more than adequate. The bar area felt a little "clubby" but wasn't overly loud that it distracted from the meal. Food was a little pricey but not so much so that it wasn't worth it. Definitely a place I would go to again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 starsIlovefoodDined on 2/13/2014Food and drinks were amazing. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I heard about Monsoon AsianMRB2477Dined on 2/10/2014I heard about Monsoon Asian Kitchen and Lounge through a few friends that Live on Long Island, so I decided to give it a shot. The restaurant was very beautiful with the decor but I have to say that I was not happy with the service. My friend and I had planned on just having one glass of wine each and he would not stop pushing a bottle of wine on us. I told him no thank you, we are both driving..and he responded, really..you sure? and continued to push it even when I politely told him no thank you. I found this to be very rude.the bill came to about $150 and instead of splitting the bill, he charged the full amount to my friends card.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just wonderfulCarlMDined on 2/8/2014My second time at Monsoon was better than the first, which itself was great. Reservation was honored. They sat my group even though we were waiting for our last couple to arrive. Food is off the map. Even those in my group who don't favor Chinese / Asian. Food loved it. Can't wait to go back..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have been there twice. BothNothappyDined on 2/7/2014Have been there twice. Both times were very good. A little expensive but everything was excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent foodrmpwDined on 2/1/2014We were there the day after new years and saw a repeat performance of the dragon show. It was great fun. We tried a few dishes we havent tried before and they were outstanding: monk fish, general tso chicken ( i had sauce on the side, chicken was crispy and delicous with egg only batter ( i dont eat wheat) and dunked in both the sauce it comes with and a combination of the kimchi pancake sauce). A friend tried the carmel pork and loved it. I had a few old favorites, kimchi pancakes and wings (sticky and sweet). Our server Adam was excellent. Even with the crowd of the holiday show everything arrived in a reasonable time frame. Oreos, creme brule and weekly flavor home made ice cream are our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is spectacular. We didn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/1/2014Food is spectacular. We didn't get our copy of the receipt. Also, we had the sunset dinners, and unbeknownst to us, my dinner was more expensive and that wasn't mentioned on the menu.Special Features:
- Best yet!!!TerryDined on 1/30/2014Always enjoy dining at Monsoon. So many good meal choices and the wait staff is very accommodating.Special Features:
- ExcellentDinnerVIPDined on 1/25/2014Great food and very good service. Had an early dinner on Sat night and the place was not busy but it was starting to fill up by the time we left. The Monsoon roll, Monk Fish and Scallops were delicious. The Edamame dumplings were the only item we didn’t enjoy. The Desserts were excellent (Fried Oreo and Cheesecake). Reasonably priced and a very cool ambiance/atmosphere. The only negative from a Service standpoint was the Manager clearing our table by himself and stacking all the plates on the table and then carrying them away. Then he did the same at another table. Expect that at a Diner, not here. The Sever (Natasha) was great. Will be back! Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurantArlibarliVIPDined on 1/18/2014This restaurant is in the heart of Babylon in a old bank. A real happening place. The food is delicious.The service is great.Special Features:
- Fun/happening place with good foodlovingfoodDined on 1/3/2014This place has good food. It has something for everyone. Sushi is excellent. The rest of the menu is so so good. Our favorite is the chicken wings. Sticky and so very tasty!Special Features:
- Great for get togetherMegsVIPDined on 1/3/2014Had a great evening with friends. The staff was very friendly and attentive. Food was very good. On the expensive side but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should have been a steak houseJeffjrqdhDined on 1/3/2014All of these are an opinion of a business man entrepreneur and not someone in the food industry. 1 red carpet upstairs you have red walls should have put wood floor looks cheese 2 dumped all that money into the place and the chairs and tables are somewhat plastic and cheap feeling and looking 3 bar and downstairs looks great 4 nobody wants to spend 29 dollars on cod it's not sea bass 5 Chinese food is known to be cheap. Shaking beef, general Taos , chicken with broccoli to be honest can get then around the corner for a quarter of the price and better ! 6. People will spend for good quality high end food. The cowboy roll, some of the apps are good. The meat and fish section high priced poor mans food. Place doesn't work!Special Features:
- Disappointing second trybusinessgalDined on 12/31/2013The food was lackluster, in a previous visit it had been very good. The service was frustrating. Food came too fast on top of itself making us feel rushed. We were there for the midnight celebration with a 9PM reservation. When we asked for a cocktail at 11:15 we were told to go to the bar below and couldn't be served at our table. Other tables were still having drinks served. When asked about the champagne toast at midnight, we were also told to go to the bar. $40 or the $100 priced fixed fee was for an open bar. My guest had one drink, asking for another and being told to get it downstairs was annoying. After much discussion my friend finally got a cocktail delivered after the champagne toast more than 50 minutes later.
- We went on New Years Eve.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/31/2013We went on New Years Eve. In spite of the crowds, the service and food were great! Waitress could not have been more attendent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's EveCrccDined on 12/31/2013Had a great time restaurant was beautiful and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Scene to be SeenKimmerDined on 12/28/2013We've been to Monsoon many times before, but usually for just drinks before we head to another place for dinner. We find that the dinner menu entrees here are nothing special, but the appetizers are very good so this time we wised up and ordered tons of appetizers and no main course. This was the way to go. The bar scene is hip / funky as is the atmosphere in general and the drinks are spot on (they could use a better beer menu according to my craft beer-drinking husband). The service for a table of 10 was not as good as we had hoped for, but I think our waiter was being stretched thin that night. However, they did not automatically apply a 20% gratuity on our bill for a table of ten people so that's pretty amazing. Go check it out!Special Features:
- Food is delicious! Can orderOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/24/2013Food is delicious! Can order on your own or share and treat as a tasting menu...great atmosphere, big bar/lounge. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/21/2013heard many good things about Monsoon so we thought we would give it a second chance after our first visit wasn't very memorable. The food is not bad, we had the pepper beef which was very tasty along with the Shrimp Pawns dish also very good. didn't care for the Vietnamise spring rolls at all nor the sweet and sour chicken. The drinks are way over priced at $14 for a glass of wine - sorry Babylon is not Manhattan!! bottom line went twice and won't be going back - oh one more thing our waitress was terrible she kept disappearing just awful!Special Features:
- Wonderful surpriseRGrimmDined on 12/21/2013Monsoon was recommended to me by a friend. Our waitress made us feel very comfortable and gave very good explanations on the dishes for which we had questions. She was very attentive to us during our dinner. The food was delicious; the drinks were spot on in taste and size. Although Monsoon is about a half hour drive from my home, I would go back in a heartbeat. It is worth the trip.Special Features:
- Lots to tastebusinessgalDined on 12/18/2013Although the restaurant was loud and difficult to hear my guests because the bar below was humming with a holiday party, the delicious food made up for the noise level. Sharing plates made for a fun food adventure for my guests. Everyone ate things they normally wouldn't have tried which added a new dynamic to our party. Although a bit pricey, the quality of the food did not disappoint. Our server Adam was up to the task of serving a table full of fun loving professionals with his extensive knowledge of the food and even the clean triple filtered water - try it! One negative, since the bar had a party there was no place to wait or have a drink until our table was ready and we felt forgotten and pushed aside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi is outstanding. WineReishaVIPDined on 12/17/2013Sushi is outstanding. Wine is overpriced. $10 for wine on tap is outrageous.
- Wonderful first visitCarlMDined on 12/13/2013I chose Monsoon for a holiday dinner with friends based on the buzz I had heard about it. The buzz was right. Our reservation was honored spot on. Our first impressions upon entering was WOW. We thought we were in a Manhattan hot spot. Our waitress was great and very helpful as it was sour first time. The food is meant to be served family. We first ordered several appetizers consisting of two sushi rolls, lettuce wraps, and dim sum. After our apps we ordered the main course. The carmel pork, filet mignon, sweet and sour checker were all great. We were so ful we had to skip desert. At the end we all felt we had a great meal in a great venue for a reasonable price of less than $50 per person with cocktails . I will definitely return.Special Features: