Monroe's An American Trattoria
1603 Commonwealth Ave.
Alexandria, VA 22301Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Monroe's An American Trattoria
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.monroesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7035485792x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 9:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Jesus Rodriguez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Monroe"s is available for private luncheons Monday through Friday ; No facility charge - minimum 25 people for 2 1/2hrs. Three course menu including bread service ,iced tea, sodas,and coffee ;$27/person plus 10%tax and gratuity($30/hr per waitstaff).
- Private Party Contact: Laura Abraham 7035485792x
A word from Monroe's An American Trattoria
Located in the heart of Del Ray in Alexandria, Monroe"s offers a distinctive experience of traditional and innovative Italian cuisine and a sophisticated award winning wine list. Monroe's is family owned and operated.Come dine with us in an intimate and relaxed atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Monroe's An American Trattoria - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Monroe's An American Trattoria reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (57)fit for foodies (24)kid-friendly (19)great for outdoor dining (19)great for brunch (15)good for groups (15)special occasion (12)notable wine list (6)romantic (6)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- Excellent bistro dining in Del RayRollieinDCDined on 10/10/2014The main dining room is Americana bistro, with touches of French and Italian themes. Murals on the wall are colorful,and the food is very good and pairs well with wine offerings from the excellently stocked bar.Special Features:
- A lovely dinner2BlueYamVIPDined on 10/4/2014Come to Monroe's to enjoy good quality Italian food. Not to fancy, just well prepared tasty food with good service at a reasonable price. Try the Arugula and pear salad as it is excellent. The salmon and pastas were all cooked to perfection.Special Features:
- Happy FindBuckeyeDanDined on 10/4/2014Nice neighborhood location adds to overall experience, just feels comfortable. Service was excellent, no rush, menu info very good. Extensive menu, 4 diners, all very pleased with regular menu items and specials. Special desserts, yummy!!Special Features:
- Great italian FoodLovingFoodVIPDined on 9/27/2014Monroes continues to be one of the best italian restaurants in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant low-key Friday Eve dinnerRangerDined on 9/12/2014First visit to Monroe's -- had reservation and didn't need it -- arrived 7:30PM on a Friday night and, surprisingly, there were a goodly number of empty tables both inside and outside. Had a very good meal at Monroe's: ordered the Scallop Linguine and another marinara pasta dish (my companion didn't finish the dish, and they offered to put it in a doggy bag). We sat outside. Had an excellent Mozzarella Caprese appetizer that looked more like a dessert than a salad. Wine was very good and price very reasonable. Service was very attentive - orders taken quickly and entres arrived before we finished appetizer. Only regret: Outside dining faces Monroe St, which is small but busy with cross-town traffic -- inside may have been quieter.Special Features:
- Wonderful, High-Quality ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014We loved our experience at Monroe's. The menu works for all ages. The food is delicious and can pair with a good selection of wines. While the white tablecloths give it a certain elegance, the fact that you can write on them makes it a great place for young people as well.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/10/2014Dealt very well with our party, which included a young child. Food was good. A pleasant evening overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Locals FavoritemadweberDined on 8/31/2014Great bread and butter too. Very popular locals place. Good food. Good prices. Good service.Special Features:
- Always a favoriteangus5678Dined on 8/27/2014The ambiance was great; the food was excellent. It was the right place to have a mini-family reunion dinner. As always the service was highly attentive.Special Features:
- Great Sunday Brunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014We had a great experience meeting friends for brunch at Monroe's. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experience!NancyDined on 8/17/2014Our server was wonderful, our food was wonderful, the only thing that we did not 100% enjoy was our wine. It tasted like it had either been open a couple days or was a bad bottle. We ordered different wine for the second round, but no one really asked us if we liked it. Our server heard us debating if we should get a cannoli, and when we decided not too...she brought us our check and surprised us with a cannoli to go on the house. What a great touch! We will most certainly be back!!Special Features:
- Will ReturnOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Tried Monroe's for the first time during Restaurant Week, and will definitely be back. Good food, relaxed atmosphere....and a doggie deck! Next time we're bringing our furry friend!Special Features:
- Good food. Comfortable atmosphereChachDined on 8/16/2014Been here before, but am not a regular. Food was good to excellent previously, just good this time. Will come again hoping that the quality can regain it's previous level.
- Luv2eatLuv2eatDined on 8/15/2014Always have a great meal Monroe's. Restaurant week deal and menu was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Small Town GemDianeDined on 8/14/2014One of my favs in Alexandria. The atmosphere is always warm and inviting; the staff ALWAYS hospitable and friendly. Customer service #1 and going out of their way to satisfy you is something they do without thinking; always accommodating. The food is always outstanding! Monroe's keeps the menu fresh and provides options to suit everyone's palate! It's not only a neighborhood gem but has the appeal of a small town restaurant. It's nice to go in and they greet you as a friend! I love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014It has always been a good dining experience at Monroe's. We have been coming there for a long time and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Terrific DinnerAnniVIPDined on 8/12/2014The food and service were very good. The ambiance is terrific. The services was great and the receptionist apologized, but hey didn't have my reservation on the book, Worked out just fine, but as someone who likes to get points for booking, it didn't work out as I had hoped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- golferDined on 8/9/2014We had pasta and fish dishes. We ordered the calamari and were astounded there was so little of it. Maybe seven pieces of calamari for the four of us. If it was such a small portion, they should have told us that initially.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedTravelMomDined on 8/2/2014I booked Monroe's because they had a free table and the reviews were good; we were not disappointed. My in-laws had a seafood pasta that they said was incredible; my husband had the pasta puttanesca and thoroughly enjoyed it. My chicken dish was cream based, but light. I like that they gave me the choice of vegetables and potato or pasta. The also have a nice kids menu with right sized portions. The service was fast and efficient but I did not feel rushed at all. The atmosphere was a little loud, but also very vibrant for a Saturday night. Overall, for a small neighborhood place, it was a great experience and I will go back to try other dishes on the menu.Special Features:
- DeliciousShamianaVIPDined on 7/31/2014The food here is great, as my Italian friends said so. However they could stand to improve upon the bread (though the butter is rich!) We ordered the calamari, crab pasta, penne with marinara, porkchops, and chicken... Everything was perfect. They even serve the wine as an Italian restaurant should – in tumblers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShelliVIPDined on 7/26/2014Consistently delicious food and service. Thanks, Ryan.Special Features:
- Amazing foodDiner42Dined on 7/26/2014I have eaten here several times. Amazing variety of dishes is amazing. Only negative was my girlfriend ordered a salad dish and had chicken added which was slightly dry.Special Features:
- Just goodFoodieX2VIPDined on 7/16/2014Enjoyed our meal, but just a typical italian meal. Nothing stood out as special to make us rush back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient local placewatsonmpDined on 7/2/2014Just an OK experience for our first time here. Tasty sallads, esp arugula w/walnuts and cheese. Crab and corn cake appetizer was tasty. Pastas disappointed--cooked al dente, but the pasta itself was thick, not thinly rolled and springy like homemade. My fettucini carbonara was overpowered by smoky bacon and sour tomatoes. More balance--a touch of sugar to bring out tomato flavor and less bacon would solve it. Hubby's shrimp & linguine in brandy cream was bland and shrimp were chewy. We tried dessert --the bread pudding's nice texture was ruined by being microwaved--very hot in the middle, overly sauced. Hubby's creme brulee very good--2 could share. Good location so we'll give it one more try. Attentive service and reasonable wine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Lovely EveningReadinggrannyDined on 6/26/2014My experience at Monroe's with 7 guests was delightful! The food was good. The service was good. My guests were happy. A great time!Special Features:
- The following 434 reviews are from the Monroe's An American Trattoria reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014Very enjoyable, pleasant, good food and wine at reasonable prices. And less noisy than many other places, at least when we visited.Special Features:
- Not Up To ParGKRKVIPDined on 6/14/2014I love this neighborhood spot. However, the food was not quite up to par. I had a grilled veal chop which was delicious, but the wild mushroom risotto was WAY overcooked and tasted more like traditional rice. The calamari were terrible. The batter was soggy and overall tasteless. The fried green tomatoes were unexceptional as was the fried zucchini. The asparagus served on each plate was practically raw (I do like it al dente but this was really pushing it. On the bright side, the featured wines of the evening were great.Special Features:
- Good but not exceptionalPentagoncoupleDined on 6/14/2014Veal spinach cannoli crime sauce excellent, veal piccata good. Service but a bit slow on busy night. Nice outdoor area on street. Parking on neighborhood streets.Special Features:
- Excellent1EatingOutDined on 6/13/2014I love this place. Local color. Excellent and interesting food.Special Features:
- Love Monroe'syummyDined on 6/7/2014We choose Monroe's when we want a quiet dinner or to celebrate or to be with friends---the food's wonderful, service friendly, and it feels like "home" whether you're there the first or the fiftieth time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surprise!MSP1977VIPDined on 6/6/2014A friends recommended Monroe's. The location is a little off the beaten path for us, but we decided to try it. We got there early on a Friday (6:00ish). The place was pretty empty, so we weren't sure what to expect. It was a beautiful night so we sat outside. No great views, but the food and the service were fantastic! If you're anywhere in the Delray area, give it a try. It's on Open Table which is also nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOldtownMBDined on 5/31/2014we had a wonderful time. Everyone's choices were great. Very attentive wait staff. Relaxing and very attractive restaurant. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Chicen piccataJAMIDined on 5/24/2014This was good, but rather bland....white chicken, white potatoes....a little asparagus...needed a bit more pizazz to make it outstanding.
- Love this placeButterfly42Dined on 5/24/2014I have going to Monroe's for years now with my husband and it never disappoints. The food is always good and the service is great. You can sit outside on nice days and it's usually not too loud. It's a great place for brunch. It's good I don't live within walking distance or I would be there every day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mother's day dinnerAlexMomDined on 5/11/2014All 6 of us (2 kids included) had a wonderful meal. Attentive service and food that was very good and a good value. Better than a $100 pp meal we had had in Philadelphia just the night before!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brunchcrftyDined on 5/11/2014My breakfast combo was very good...eggs moist, potatoes very good. The pancakes were just okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and good valueLizzieinDCDined on 5/10/2014I went recently with my boyfried and we had a decent and well priced meal in a very pleasant atmosphere with friendly service. The half portions of pasta were a great idea. The wine selection was basic but the choices were very appropriate. Anyway, we will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- Wonderful as always!kalexDined on 5/2/2014Wonderful as always. Maintaining their traditional menu and adding some surprises.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerLnluvsfoodDined on 4/27/2014This was the first time we had dinner at Monroe's. We were looking for a nice Italian dinner. We were very much surprised and delighted at the meal we got. We went on a Sunday night around 7PM. It was not crowded but we had a reservation. The server was very nice and helped suggest items on the menu. I had an Italian seafood bouillabaisse with chilian sea bass, lobster, clams and mussels. There were several buttery pieces of sea bass and a good number of clams and mussels and a small lobster tail. The broth was delicious and once the seafood was gone, I mopped it up with the delicious homemade bread. My husband had calamari and an arugala salad. He enjoyed both. We plan to go back and slowly pick other items on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, reasonable pricesBWallsVIPDined on 4/27/2014I had heard a lot about Monroe's and decided to go for my birthday dinner. My husband and I tried the special calamari appetizer, which was fried calamari with sautéed chorizo, green and red peppers and onions. Tasty, but not as much calamari as I had expected. The arugula salad with pear, walnuts and asiago cheese was big enough for two people. My husband had penne with sliced lamb, which was a huge portion and good, but nothing really special. The hit of the night was my entree - seafood with linguine, which had shrimp, calamari, clams and chunks of fish in a marinara sauce (just $17!). Delicious! Service was fine. Since it was my birthday the waitress comped my dessert: a yummy chocolate cake with hazelnut mousse filling. I'll be back.Special Features: