4424A Urbana Pike Rd.
Frederick, MD 21704Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.monocacycrossing.com/
- Phone: 301-846-4204x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 9:00pm, Friday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room
A word from Monocacy Crossing
Monocacy Crossing is located off the beaten path five miles south of Frederick. As soon as you walk through our door, you relax, you're comfortable, and at home. Our menu selections and extensive wine list will satisfy everyone in your party. So come, enjoy, be our guests!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Monocacy Crossing - Best Restaurants in Frederick ›
Monocacy Crossing reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (64)great for outdoor dining (59)fit for foodies (51)neighborhood gem (46)romantic (39)notable wine list (30)good for groups (25)great for lunch (21)great for brunch (16)late-night find (5)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Superb as alwaysChessieDined on 9/7/2014Our go-to place for special occasions, in this case my birthday. The crab dip is amazing, with spinach and corn, and with perfectly crisp pita chips, loved it, in fact we sort of fought over it. :-) I loved the coho salmon special, it was perfectly cooked - rare yet served hot, how do they do that? And the famous coconut pound cake is as good as ever. A nice touch for birthdays is a delish puff pastry with candle. :-) Nice wine selection and the server offered me tastes of several reds to choose from.... we like to dine on the patio, weather permitting, and it was very nice. Overall, we have never been disappointed. Yay!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- please fix metrustmeDined on 9/7/2014This is a restaurant with excellent food, overly generous portions and genial efficient service. What a great place it would be with a serious redo. Please lose the panelling, the stove, the artificial greenery and the horrible carpeting. All the best food loses something in this dingy setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diamond with rough edgesFoodieforlifeDined on 9/5/2014The food is very good. Very, very good. Gourmet quality in many respects. Interesting, balanced dishes with fresh ingredients, simple at times, complex at other times. The place has a worn feel that is charming for dinner. Oddly the patrons seem unimpressed, or at least they don't see any reason not to wear shorts, t-shirts and sneakers to dine. The service tries hard but there seem to be not enough waiters and too many servers. But I will be back!!!Special Features:
- Out of the ordinaryCslotkinDined on 8/30/2014A delicious dining experience. Food is excellent, well prepared and tasteful. Service is ffriendly, helpful and personable. Second time we ate here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious meal2dinersDined on 8/30/2014Monocacy Crossing is always a delicious meal and this was no exception. It is also a very nice romantic restaurant, but not stuffy at all. We ate indoors, which was very cozy, but when the weather is nice, we really enjoy the patio as well.Special Features:
- Really niceQwestDined on 8/29/2014Wife and I haven't really been on a real date in 13 years with kids and careers. It was very nice to go to a place with no children and without our own. The food was great very limited menu so I would advise checking that out first. At first it appears to be stuffy but isn't at all. The staff was very friendly and the cocktails were awesome. They do have a pretty extensive wine list whichever wife absolutely loved. Nothing pretentious about the place at all. I also didn't find it expensive. 3 mixed drinks two hearty meals and an oversized appetizer for 97 bucks isn't bad at all. It was a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavorful VarietymytableDined on 8/29/2014Four of us ate here for the first time. We began with shared Whiskey/Duck nachos which the "other couple" had not intended to eat; however, the smell alone won them over. Not to worry about the change of minds as there were plenty of nachos for all. Three of the four us thought the duck tasted like pork. Entry wise we had: beef medallions; BBQ gulf shrimp with cheesy grits; pork tenderloin; and tagliatelle with cherry tomatoes, arugula, and calamari. Everyone commented on how each ingredient in his/her dish was cooked properly and the overall flavor was distinctive and satisfying. I had the tagliatelle and was very impressed with the freshness of the ingredients, the full flavor, and the overall lightness of the dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LmrLuvfoodDined on 8/27/2014Was an excellent night. Good was fantastic! Service was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must TryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014A lovely place to have a great dinner. Food amazing!! Great outdoor space.Special Features:
- Excellent as always!foodie4lifeDined on 8/24/2014I have dined here many times over the past years and this restaurant never disappoints! The food is excellent and service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014Our server was excellent - very friendly and attentive. The food however was very disappointing. The fried calamari appetizer was a bit undercooked while the fish and chips lunch was overcooked. The biggest disappointment was the flounder special. It was bad enough that the chef burnt the breading (which definitely flavored the fish), but the server actually brought it to our table. We sent the dish back and when the replacement meal was brought out, the fish was slightly undercooked. Really??? At that point we accepted the meal because we didn't want to deal with sending it back yet again. I could understand these things happening if the restaurant was busy, but we were the ONLY patrons in the dining room at that time.
- Monocacy CrossingTomSDined on 8/22/2014Monocacy Crossing is one of our favorite restaurants for special occasions. Our expectations for a wonderful meal and celebration are always met. The food is prepared very well and the variety of choices is wide. The prices of the appetizers, salads, entrees, and desserts are ALL very reasonable. We thoroughly enjoyed are 44th anniversary celebration at MC :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply SplendidbirthdaybuddyDined on 8/20/2014My friend and I like to celebrate birthday occasions and we have chosen Monocacy Crossing for this for the past 3 years. We love everything about MC: the overall atmosphere, the creative menu, the wonderful food that is always elegantly presented, and the excellent service we always receive. MC truly makes our birthday celebrations special occasions of fine dining, which is why we come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monocacy CrossingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014One of my favorite restaurants of all time. The service was great and the food exceptional. What a wonderful time celebrating out Anniversary!Special Features:
- CindyDined on 8/17/2014My bread plate had dried egg on it and the food was mediocre at best.
- Great experienceWalkersvilledinerDined on 8/13/2014A group went for lunch and sat out on the patio on a really nice day. The service was excellent, the food good (as always). This was my first experience dining outside at this restaurant and I will definitely look for another nice day to have a repeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Monocacy CrossingmonocacyrulesDined on 8/10/2014We go to Monocacy Crossing several times a year and are never disappointed. The qualify of food and service is consistent. Very relaxed environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014We've never been disappointed in a meal over the past 10 years. Highly recommend dining at Monocacy Crossing.Special Features:
- Good, but not as good as last visitIrnieVIPDined on 8/9/2014This was our second visit to Monacacy Crossing this summer. Our first visit was outstanding, but this time the menu selections were relatively limited. The duck Nachos appetizer is a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great variety and uniquelocalDined on 8/2/2014We pass the restaurant daily and the place is always busy, however, it is pricey. We go for special occasions and love the food choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not badbkmechDined on 8/1/2014I say not bad because I've eaten at many Fine dining restaurants. This one also is listed as such. I feel for the quality of food and prices a little higher than they should be I probably won't be back. Everything was Ok but could have been better for a Fine dining expereanceSpecial Features:
- Kozmic76Dined on 7/26/2014Experience was great as usual. Monocacy Crossing has become my favorite local restaurant.Special Features:
- FavoriteMichelleDined on 7/25/2014The best restaurant in Frederick! Love the scallops and bacon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findCarolMVIPDined on 7/24/2014As other reviewers noted this does not look like much from the outside, but the parking lot was full which is usually a good sign. The menu has a variety of choices from appetizers through dessert with preparations I would expect from a high end restaurant. We were served an excellent meal in a pleasant indoor dining area that appeared to be a room of a converted house. Would definitely return if in the area.Special Features:
- Love It!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2014This is one of our favorite places. Food is fresh and presented wonderfully. Addicted to Whiskey Duck nachos. Had two individuals in our party that had food allergies. The waitress did not even blink an eye at all the crazy questions. She maintained a huge smile and double-checked with the chef. In addition to the fabulous food this keeps us coming back. Love the outside seating. Also like that you can have a relaxing dinner without being rushed out.Special Features:
- Consistently great foodCrockerDined on 7/17/2014Best food in Frederick, portions are just right, quality is the highest, friendly and quaint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably good.MikeDined on 7/16/2014Monocasy Crossing has maintained its high quality over the years. The down-home standards on the menu are always prepared with creative flair like a cream/clam sauce on grilled salmon. And this kitchen really knows how to prepare fish. You can always rely on an excellent piece of fish that isn't over-cooked. Portions are more than ample.Special Features:
- Dinner at Monocacy CrossingWingsFanDined on 7/6/2014Monocacy Crossing is in an old house that was converted into a restaurant with a lot of character. Décor was upscale; white, linen table cloths, waitstaff dressed up. Went there for dinner on a Sunday and the room was quite quiet. Both my wife and I had the Beef Medallions. Ordered them medium and they came a little closer to what we would consider medium-rare, but they were very well prepared. Excellent Crème Brulee for dessert. Nice wine list, excellent service. They also have an outdoor section that looks a little more casual. My only disappointment was that they apparently did not get the OpenTable note about it being the anniversary for the couple we were with.Special Features:
- never disappointedilovefoodVIPDined on 7/5/2014So, I've been to Monocacy Crossing many, many times and have never been disappointed. It's one of my favorite places! The warm coconut pound cake is legendary. In fact we call ahead to make sure they have it before we come.Special Features:
- JamesDined on 6/28/2014Great place, great service, has a nice relaxed feel, great for a quiet romantic dinner. The NY Strip was excellent!Special Features:
- SpiceVIPDined on 6/26/2014Monocacy is one of our favorites. The food is top shelf and the service impeccable. Over the years we have tried nearly every entree with no disappointments. With nightly specials, the menu never gets stale. The scallop appetizer and Duck nachos are favorites as well as the Buttermilk Chicken with ham Tasso gravy and pork tenderloin entrees. You can't go wrong for a special night out!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food good serviceArtBDined on 6/21/2014The food was very good and the service was great. The only concern was as the place got crowded the noise level went up, but great bar scene and nice out door dining which we will have to try the next timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go oftenwillgobackDined on 6/20/2014Monocacy Crossing's food and service never disappoints. My wife especially loves the BBQ grilled shrimp over smoked cheddar grits. Excellent wine list, a limited but well chosen single glass selections. Only drawback - building should have a renovation. Nothing terrible but does detract from the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Exceptional Restaurant4datenightDined on 6/20/2014We celebrated our 15th anniversary with our first dinner at Monocacy Crossing and we were so pleased with the exceptional food and service. We dined outside in their lovely patio area, and it could not have been more pleasant. The food was prepared and timed perfectly. Definitely will be going back!!Special Features:
- JWOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/17/2014One of our favorite places in Frederick - a bit off of the beaten path, but high quality food in a warm and friendly environment!Special Features:
- Father's DayRoxieDined on 6/15/2014Service was great! The staff was attentive and friendly. Our meals were excellent. The crab cakes were filled with crabmeat prepared perfectly! A favorite special occasion restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- freidafreidaDined on 6/14/2014The food is always delicious and creative. We've always had wonderful food and great service.Special Features:
- Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/14/2014My husband and I have been here many times for our "date nights". The food never disappoints! They consistently have great food and service. We normally go for a steak entree and they are always amazing. Beef medallions wrapped in bacon were incredible! This is our favorite Frederick restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice date nightPassthewineplsDined on 6/13/2014My boyfriend and I went for the first time on a Friday night. It was rainy outside, so I think it was quiter than it probably is normally at 7:30 on Friday. We had a absolutely great waitress! Personable and catered to all our needs without being asked. Food came out in perfect timing from one course to the next. Found out about the history of the place and the couple that owns it. We both had steak and it was cooked perfectly. The calamari was wonderful :) all around, great experience! We will be back, for sure!Special Features:
- Wonderful Once Again!bellasmomDined on 6/11/2014We love this place! The service and food are always top notch. Look forward to returning soon!Special Features: